Two

Just You And Me

On the way back home, you hum to random tunes feeling all giddy as today is one of those days that is treating you considerately well. You’re walking home alone as your two best friends have things to do in school; Sehun has basketball practice whereas Eunmi has a sudden club meeting that she has attend. It took a lot of will power for you to not stay behind with them as you hate walking home alone but at the thought of the avalanche of homework and Miss Tae’s assignment waiting to be done, you scratch the thought away from your head. Making your way to your favorite ice cream shop, you skip your steps as you cannot wait to devour the sweet treat in front of you. The bell chimes as you open the door to order a scoop or two of ice cream; this is a routine for the three of you to enjoy a scoop of ice cream after school and you make sure that you get to do this at least three times a week. Being alone is not an excuse for you to not have this treat you thought whilst tapping your chin in contemplation trying choose a flavor out of the hundreds in front of your eyes.

Going with cookies and cream as your choice of ice cream, you made your way out only after paying and muttering a small thanks to the worker. You walk through a small alley, a very shady one in fact, as a shortcut so that you can arrive at home as soon as possible. To your surprise, there was a group of boys hanging out and smoking while some of them have a bottle of beer in their hands. You mentally sigh to yourself as you quicken your pace in the hope that you can pass the as swiftly as possible. This is exactly the reason why you despise walking home alone; the boys will probably disturb your peaceful day. As you walk pass them, you hold your breath because the lingering smell of alcohol and cigarettes is unpleasant to your nose. Suddenly a voice call out to you making your head snap towards the latter.

“Aren’t you brave little miss to be walking alone in this alley?” a boy in his late teen with a leather jacket says, his breath reeks of cigarettes and alcohol. “Not to mention that it’s getting pretty late too.” He smirks as he displays his set of yellow stained teeth, probably from the amount of beer he had and tobacco he smokes. You cringe at the sight of the other boys sniggering and you anxiously hope that someone, a knight, will come to rescue you from these boys. The boys draw closer to you and you close your eyes, waiting for something terrible to happen. The fact that today is one of those day that treated you fairly immediately shatters because whatever that will happen will go down in your life history as one of the worst days of your life. Just as a hand about to reach you, a voice call out to yell at those voice, and the slight gentleness of the voice calming yourself down. You look up and see a stranger, a very good looking one indeed, above you with a hard look on his face. Despite the scary look on his face, he has a very gentle and soft eyes when he looks down to you. The boys scatters away like rats being chased by cats, probably terrified of the boy. You do have to admit that even though this is the first time you're meeting him, your heart beats slightly faster than usual.

"Are you alright? Are you hurt any where?" The boy asks with a soft voice, his eyes coated with worry and anger. 

You smiled and shake your head even though deep down you're still in a shock from the recent event. Looking down on his uniform, you realise that he isn't from your school; the badge on his blazer shows that he is from Midtown High, a school from the other side of the town. On his blazer there is also his nametag. His name is Junmyeon, you don't know why but it matches perfectly with him. With Junmyeon so up close, you can't help but to be in awe with how handsome he is: he's gentle brown orbs that is painted with worry, his pink lips that has a small frown on his face, his dark brown hair cleanly swiped up -perfect, you thought. His eyes flickers up, waiting for you to say something.

"It's fine. Thank you for chasing those boys away, I don't know what I'd do if you did not pass by." You thank him sincerely and you mentally congratulate yourself for not stuttering over your words.

The boy smiles, a very beautiful one that literally took your breath away. 

"Well then, let's walk you back home. I don't think it is right for you to be walking home alone after what has just happened." He looks back at you and offer his hand so that you can take it. Without hesitation, you took his hand and started walking back home, staring at his handsome face, admiring it.

"I think it's better for you to start eating your ice cream instead of looking at me." Junmyeon lightly chuckles." It's melting pretty fast." You swear your face is as read as beetroot and just hearing his chuckles, his deep and husky chuckles, god, your heart is beating so fast that it's getting hard for you to breath.

Laying on your bed while finishing up those assignments, your mind drifted to the encounter with Junmyeon earlier. Conversations flow easily between the two of you just like the cool breeze blowing. Junmyeon had introduced himself and even told you stories about him on the way back. You had also introduced yourself and again, a little taken back at the fact how calm you are despite the hammering of your heart. He even teases you about the rivalry between your schools, making you forget about the incident in the alley. 

The rivalry between Midtown High, Junmyeon's school and  Southtown High, your school, has long began. Whenever there's a tournament, let it be chess tournament, basketball tournament or even debate, these two school always ended up in final, with your school being first and Midtown being second; or to yours, Sehun's and Eunmi's disappointment, vice versa. Sehun and Eunmi probably won't be too pleased knowing that you have developed a friendship with a student from Midtown High. Sehun has always hated Midtown High - actually hate is an understatement for Sehun's feeling towards the school. One of them, Yugyeom, has beaten Sehun in a basketball tournament before and even beat him in a dance competition. A mention of the boy's name could drive Sehun to the edge.

Eunmi on the other hand didn't lose to anyone in any competition but she has lost her previous boyfriend to a girl from Midtown High. Her ex boyfriend, Jimin, was occupying his free time by apparently having sudden music club meeting, football practice or any other means of avoiding meeting her. Eunmi then found out that instead of going to those meetings or practice, Jimin has been spending time with Nayeon, a cute snake, sorry, girl from that school. Since then, Eunmi has steadily been growing to hate that school though she has never been vocal about it.

Suddenly, there is a knock on my door, snapping me out of my reverie. The door open revealing Sehun who is dressed in a red hoodie and black sweat, with his bag casually hang over his shoulders. 

"Have you finally get a start on the assignment?" He asks playfully, earning a soft glare from you. You nod your head in response and Sehun wipes his forehead with the back of his hand, showing how relieved he is though playfully. He brought out his laptop and book to help me with my assignment as well as trying to get me to help him with his projects. We both started to get a crack on the mountain of homeworks, the marathon of your favorite tv series long forgotten.

"Urgh" you groan, your brain is aching from writing the long essay. Even though your academic achievements are pretty excellent, writing essay is definitely your cup of tea. You'd rather solve math problem or reading science material than writing essays that seems to crack your head open everytime. Sehun watches over you who is groaning and furrowing your eyebrows ,with amusement dancing on his orbs. He finds it intriguing how you always complain about having terrible talent for writing and how limited your vocabularies are but never hands in essays that aren't grade A worthy. Sehun chuckles lightly while messing up your hair, making you feel even more annoyed than you already are. 

"Pumpkin stop doubting yourself, you know that  your essays are all very well written." He says with his eyes boring into you, trying to give you strength and trying to prove how sincere he is. His hands reach out to your hair again but this time trying to put it in place after the mess he has made.

"Well I don't know why but today of all day my brain just can't even get a sentence right." You heaved a sigh and look up to him. "Do you know that I spell humanity as humanyti just now? My words are all jumbled up." 

"Well maybe instead of watching those dramas, you could have read books that will be helpful" he says and you pinch his arm and feeling satisfied when he groan, rubbing his arm trying to soothe the pain. He then proceed onto giving you ideas and even sentences for you to write down so that your essay will be finished quicker.

"Are you sure that these sentences aren't the same as yours?" He nods. "Is this really it?" He nods again. "I'm really finished with Miss Tae's assignment?" You ask, eyes twinkling with excitement of finally able to submit the assignment that you dread. He rolls his eyes exasperately and nods his head. You hug him to show your that you're very thankful for his help.

"Oh now you hug me?" He raises his eyebrow. "You pinched me a while ago and now you're telling me that you're thankful? Tch, how bipolar can you get?" 

You smile sheepishly, rubbing the spot on his arms that you had pinched him. "Well, you know how different I am when I'm stressed over school stuff..." Sehun rolls his eyes again, shutting down books and open his laptop. 

"Should we start with season 2?" He asks distractedly while choosing which episode to watch. You nod your head and when you're about to turn on your heels to grab some snacks from the kitchen so that you can binge-eat while you binge-watch the series, Sehun calls you. Your movement halts as Sehun calls out your name. "No need for food, I already got us some." Sehun says with a playful glint on his face, waving the bag full of snacks in front of you.

"Oh Sehun, you're truly an amazing human being."

Sehun stares at you who are fighting against your will to sleep; you are nodding your head with a piece of chocolate in your mouth, your sleepiness taking over you. He smiles to himself and his hands, without he himself knowing, reaches out to your face brushing strands of hair away from your face. Cute, he thought to himself. Sighing to himself, albeit affectionately, he taps your shoulder to wake you up. You stir in your sleep in daze, still not fully awke yet. 

"Let's go to sleep, hmm?" Sehun says, already cleaning up the rubbish and putting them away into the bin. He tugs you in your blanket making sure you are all ready and warm to go to sleep.

"Sehun, stay." You say and pat the space next to you.

"But we have school tomorrow pumpkin, remember?" He say as he put his books and laptop into his bag.

"You can wake up extra early tomorrow and drop off at your house on the way to school right?" You look at him stopping his steps, in hesitation whether he should stay or not. "Please?" 

Sehun sighs and nod as he make his way to your bed. With his face dug into the pillow he says, "you better wake up early with me." He moves closer into the blanket, tugging your head under his chin as he slowly drift into dreamland. That night, you sleep with a smile on your face because Sehun's presence is the best sense of security for you.