Ch 1 - Red Berries & Lime Cider

The Usual

The bar slowly started filling up. The clock had struck 10 pm, meaning that most people got off work now, the business men that is. This place was known for it’s high prices, yet it was a beloved bar by hundreds of people.

Whether you just wanted to calm down after a long day of work, wanted to drink while talking to acquaintances or new people, or if you just wanted to drink till you passed out, the bar always welcomed you.

Maybe it was thanks to the dark brown leather sofas, the fancy chandeliers that gave a yellow hue off, the classy overall look of the bar with it’s thousands of drinks, something about this place made people feel like all their worries disappeared, even if only for a few hours while they were here.

 

Yerin liked the bar too, ofcourse, who didn’t? But she wasn’t in for the atmosphere or the people. It was just one of the many jobs she had, the fact that this was a high class bar didn’t really matter to her. High class bar or run down bar with barely any visitors, money is money.

She did appreciate the circumstances here though. There were barely any problems with the customers, and since most of them were regulars she already got to know most of them and somehow befriended them.

 

Being a bartender was pretty intense, if she did say so herself. Aside from the usual tasks, you need to be organized and prepared for drunk people which can be pretty problematic, but you also need to be able to offer a listening ear to people their problems and stories, or when they blow off some steam about recent frustrations. It’s your task to make people feel at ease, to free people from their problems for the time being.

People remember how you make them feel, not what you say or do. It’s not always about giving them the best drink, people appreciate you giving them some attention, make them feel welcomed, tell them a funny story, anything to take their mind off the world that waits for them outside the closed doors of the bar.

If Yerin had to be honest, she did like this job the most out of all the jobs she’s had. Not that she’d admit that though.

 

Her mind wandered off during that she was filling some bowls with snacks, not noticing the person that seated herself in front of the counter.

“The usual.”

Yerin looked up, seeing that her colleague already was filling a glass with red berries & lime cider, putting the glass in front of the woman in red.

She was wearing an elegant red dress, a gold necklace adorned her neck, and her red purse which matched her dress was put on the counter. To put it simply, she looked drop dead gorgeous.

 

“I don’t think I’ve seen you here before?” She said, holding the glass of cider in her right hand.

“Yes, I’m new. My name is Yerin.”

“She’s been working here for a week.” The other bartender added. He had been in charge of showing Yerin the ropes when she just started.

“..You don’t really look like someone who’d work here.”

“Oh?” Yerin raised her eyebrow at the remark of the woman in front of her. She noticed that she’d look behind her every so often, letting her eyes wander around the place as if she was looking for someone, before looking back at Yerin again.

“Oh my bad, I didn’t mean that in a bad way. You’re young. Probably still studying. Just.. Don’t waste your life away working at places like this.” The woman took a quick sip from her glass before putting it down on the counter, her glass still half full.

“I wish I could talk with you some more, but It’s time for me to work.” She chuckled. “It was nice to meet you Yerin.”

The woman stood up, her back facing Yerin as she walked elegantly walked over to a man with a suit in his thirties sitting at the back, setting herself down closely next to him, her hands frilling with the hem of his blouse.

 

Yerin rolled her eyes. A big talker, yet she was just like any of the other women that came here to hook up with old guys that had money.

What did she even expect.

 


A/N: That's it for chapter one! Comments are appreciated, don't hesitate to tell me if there's something you don't like or would like to see changed :)

Hope u guys liked it and see you next chapter!