unus.

m a r c i d

When he woke up, thoughts hazy, the first thing Daehyun noticed were the large windows. They went from the floor to the ceiling, the sunlight passing through them and filling the room with warmth and brightness. 

The second thing he noticed was that the light in question was burning straight into his eyes.

Groaning, he decided to ignore all thoughts apart from 'ew, light' for the time being and concentrate on more urgent matters at hand, like maybe actually seeing

After a great deal of squinting, he could finally make out the outlines of behind them and suddenly wished he was outside. It had been way too long since he last felt the sun caressing his face. 

His second Smart™ thought of the day was 'Water'.

As if reading his thoughts, a man who Daehyun just noticed had been sitting next to him the whole time filled up a glass and held it out to him with a soft smile. 

Daehyun downed it at once and immediately felt better. 

Only then he realized who had given it to him: Main Councillor of the Empire of Asundanti and Head commander of the Great Vicundas Army of the Emperor, Kang Sunghoon. The stories of his heroic acts and diplomatic achievements were travelling from south to north, turning the man himself into a living legend. Daehyun was just about to apologize for his density when the man interrupted him with an amused glimmer in his eyes. 

"Don't bother, my friend. After everything we've been through, we're way past the official greetings, don't you think?"

Daehyun smiled tightly. 

"As you say, Councillor. I'd like to apologize for my behavior nevertheless. It won't happen again."

Sunghoon sighed and ran his fingers through his—dyed again, noted Daehyun—silverish hair.

He looks tired, Daehyun thought, I can't imagine what it is for him, to have so many responsibilities and at times like these... 

Daehyun helped himself to another glass of water and continued, desperate to fill in the silence that had stretched between them 

"How did I get here anyway? The last thing I remember, I was... " his voice faltered, memories hitting him like a truck. 

Fight don't let them win don't let them win you can't let them win what about your mother what about your sister what about don't stop fight don't let them don't--

'You have really pretty eyes.'

"...I was fighting Vinthor's soldiers and then I--"

'You have really pretty...'

"and then I passed out? I'm not sure."

'You have...'

'You... '

The Councillor nodded. 

"Pretty much that's what happened. Thank God Youngjae got there on time, otherwise we could have lost you."

Daehyun furrowed his eyebrows. 

"Youngjae?" He asked. Was this Youngjae the one that saved him? The mage with the pretty eyes? 

"Yes. He saved you. Do you want to see him? Thank him, perhaps?"

So I wasn't dreaming. I didn't make this up. 

Daehyun had no idea what was about these eyes that he just couldn't get out of his mind. There were really just every other eyes, what's wrong with him really?

"Ah--um, yeah. Yes. Now?" He started fidgeting, anxious without he himself knowing why. 

The Councillor looked at him, his expression equally amused and surprised. The great, proud Daehyun? Thanking someone? This was rare. Daehyun, doing it voluntarily and sincerely? Almost impossible. 

"Yes," he replied "Now. If you insist."

Daehyun nodded and got up. After quickly washing his face, brushing his teeth and dressing up, he was ready to go. 

;

Even with his sour personality he was willing to admit he and the Councillor were quite the interesting pair while walking to the arena - Daehyun tripping over his own feet every other step and Sunghoon giggling at him like a schoolgirl. They got quite the stares from maids, that's for sure.

Once they got in, Daehyun held his breath. He had so many memories from this same arena. Friends, fights, failures, successes... 

Everything flew right away from his head the moment he laid his eyes on him

He was fighting - no, more like dancing -  with a fire whip, his movements elegant and completely fascinating and oh so gorgeous... His body moved in the most amazing of ways - his movements were soft, gentle but held so much raw power; Daehyun could almost feel it, seeping through his skin, through his bones, through his soul. 

He was completely dumbstruck. 

He was never one for romance - he never really paid much attention to these things, nor was it a priority of his. He never got the excitement from sleeping around, just as he never got the spark in the eyes of the people who were in love; that pure bliss had always felt too far away from him. Not to mention love at first sight—the only reason he didn't straight up crack up everything it was mentioned was because he had enough respect for other people, or at least that's what he liked to think.

And now there he was, watching a mage who just saved his life practice and more or less drooling over him, fully knowing that he had a smirking Councillor behind him. 

God, I need to get a ing grip. 

A loud bang snapped him out of his trance. A tall, angry looking man had walked into the arena, the door slamming behind him. Dark brown hair framed a face that once may had been handsome, but now was covered in scars from cuts and burns. His eyes were stormy like his attitude and he wore all black—black robe, black cape, black leather boots added up to the three swords and one dagger attached to his black leather belt. Daehyun instantly knew who it was—the man in question went by the name of Kangin, very few possessing the knowledge of his real name. He was one of the Emperor's toughest soldiers, having fought together with and against almost every nation, race and magical creature. Legends said he even smiled once.

Kangin approached the mage—Youngjae—Daehyun reminded himself, turning the name in is head, remembering it letter by letter.

Youngjae was just tossing around a fire ball when Kangin chimed in. 

"You're playing with fire, Yoo, you're playing with fire!"

Youngjae laughed and angulfed the ball with his fist; when he released it, the ball was gone. Needless to say, Daehyun was too.

"That's how I know I'm alive."

Kangin approached Youngjae with a glimmering smile on his face—so he does smile, flashed through the amazed Daehyun's mind—the warmth in his gaze obvious. Daehyun couldn't help but feel a tad bit of jealousy shoot through him. He promptly ignored it because it was simply ridiculous. 

What, I'm treating every pretty boy like my boyfriend now or something? What the actual hell?

"You're really impressed with yourself, aren't you?" Kangin asked. 

"Exclusively."

Honestly, Daehyun could have just listened to them talking, nagging each other all day, but the Councillor had seemingly gotten sick from waiting for him to make a move and talk. He cleared his throat and all but dragged Daehyun with him as he approached the two friends. 

"Excuse us," Sunghoon interrupted their conversation as he nodded respectively towards Kangin and then turned to Youngjae, "My friend Daehyun wants to talk to you for a bit, if you don't mind."

There was a flash of confusion on the mage's face and Daehyun decided that yup, this is the most embarrassing moment after that one time I wet the bed when i was four and I had to change the sheets afterwards. 

Focus, Daehyun. Focus.

Here goes nothing. 

He lifted his head and his brain promptly stopped working.