[8] new appearance

always // real life au

The bell rings and Junghye immediately stands up, bag already packed, dashing out the classroom. Daniel looks at her back figure, frowning and tosses everything into his bag before striding after her. He doesn’t speak to bid his goodbyes, simply nodding or shooting a smile before quickly keeping an eye on the girl.

 

He follows her all the way to an apartment complex. Or at least that was what it seemed like. The sign in front of it says otherwise. ‘House of Love Aged Care’ it reads and Daniel’s eyes narrow slightly. He continues to follow her down different hallways. Doctors and nurses simply smiling and nodding their heads as a greeting. He returns the greeting and silently continues to follow Junghye.

 

She turns into a room and he closes behind, leaning next to the door, back against the wall. “Oh you’re here!” an elderly voice cheerily says. 

 

“Yes, I’m here, Grandma,” Junghye replies.

 

“Omo, you’ve grown prettier!”

 

“Thank you, Grandma.”

 

“You’re definitely one of us. A blossoming beautiful woman who came from a line of national beauties.”

 

“Yes, Grandma.”

 

Daniel smiles, imagining Junghye in his mind. 

 

“Grandma, it’s time to eat. I’ll feed you.”

 

“You’re such a good granddaughter, Somi.”

 

Daniel’s eyes widen. He pushes himself off the wall gently and peeps into the room to see Junghye feeding the elderly woman with a smile on her face. “Is it nice?” Junghye asks.

 

“Extremely nice, Somi!” the grandmother exclaims. 

 

Junghye feeds her another spoon, “Have my cooking skills gotten better?”

 

“Of course!”

 

“Oh really? Thank you! That’s nice to know, Grandma!”

 

Daniel then leans back against the wall; listening to their conversation, smile popping up from time to time. He was about to get up and go when Junghye appears with a hot water flask, bumping into him. He steadies her unconsciously and she looks up. “Hi?” he offers with an awkward smile.

 

Junghye blinks, tilting her head to the side. His mind starts to whirl, thinking about an excuse. Having waited so long for an answer, she frowns as he rubbing his nape with a sheepish smile. She smiles slightly, lowering her head to giggle softly. “Somi ah, why are you giggling?” the grandmother asks.

 

Junghye looks in and shakes her head with a small, polite smile before turning back to face Daniel. “Let’s go refill hot water?” he suggests and moves to let her go first.

 

She does and he lingers behind, wondering if he was okay. She leads the way and then they end up at the counter, telling a nurse to refill the hot water for her. “Is that your boyfriend?” the nurse whispers while handing back the flask and Daniel overhears it.

 

Junghye just looks at him with a weird look and shakes her head with a roll of her eyes. The nurse laughs before going back to what she was doing. Daniel feels slightly offended but doesn’t say anything, following her back to the room. Once outside, he stays there, smiling and nods his head in the direction of the door. She beckons him to follow and he raises an eyebrow.

 

She pulls him in. “Grandma~ This is my classmate, Kang Daniel,” she introduces and he stands there awkwardly, rubbing his nape once again and does a full ninety-degree bow.

 

“How are you, grandmother?” he asks politely.

 

“Aigo, you’re handsome. I’m doing fine,” she replies. “Somi ah, did you get my hot water?”

 

Junghye nods and places the flask back to where it belongs. “Take a seat, Daniel!” the grandmother says, gesturing to a chair next to her bed.

 

He nods, dropping the duffel bag to the ground before taking a seat as directed. She starts to ask questions and he will reply. Junghye looks at the both of them conversing and smiles. Please take care of my grandmother. She freezes, staring at the elderly. Daniel seemingly notices and shoots her a concerned look from the corner of his eyes. She doesn’t seem to notice but she breaks out of the trance herself, going back to her smiley self in front of the grandmother. The elder doesn’t seem to notice, continuing to ask Daniel questions. 

 

Visitation hours soon were over and the pair was asked to leave. They bid the elderly goodbye with promises to return soon. Junghye bid the doctors and nurses goodbye too with a small smile. “You… working tonight?” Daniel asks once they were out of the aged care.

 

Junghye looks up and nods. “What time?” he asks.

 

She checks her watch and taps on the glass to indicate that there were another two hours. “Let’s go eat. My treat,” he offers and walks off.

 

He hears footsteps catching up with him and he smiles but a tug was felt. He turns around, looking at the girl. “I’m meeting Hyunmin…” she whispers and then bows before turning, something drops inside of him.

 

“Peasant!” Daniel calls out and she stops. “Let me walk you there…”

 

She doesn’t say anything and just walks. He catches up to her and lingers a bit behind her. Silence falls between both of them. Junghye enjoys the soft noise from the environment and the chatter of people as they approach the city center. They walk a bit more and Junghye stops, nodding the direction of the restaurant. “You should go in then…” he says and she nods.

 

“Peasant,” he calls out and she turns. “How do you know that grandmother?”

 

She looks at him and blinks. Her gaze trails to the ground and then turn around, pushing open the door. Daniel stands there and his eyes follow her figure to her seat across Hyunmin. Hyunmin immediately smiles at the sight of her, handing over a menu.

 

His lips tug to a small smile and turn before walking away. 

 

~~~

 

The warm sunrays shine into the class. Junghye looks out of the window, feeling the warmth on the inside developing. She looks back down to the book laid in front of her and continues to study it. But she stops once the thought of lessen work shifts hits her. She sighs softly, thinking about her monthly expense and bites the inside of . Looks like I’m skipping lunch today.

 

The bell rings and everyone scurries back to their seats. She looks over to the empty seat next to her and then focuses back to the teacher. Halfway through the break, where she sat alone in class, her tablemate stumbles into class, holding his side. The opening of the door surprises her and she looks to see his injured self. She immediately jumps to her feet, heading over him to support him back to his seat.

 

He groans as he slumps in his seat, dropping his bag to the ground. He opens his eyes slightly to see her hovering over his body unsure where to start. He gets her attention and points to his abdomen. She grabs the first aid kit in the class as he struggles to his uniform.

 

Junghye opens the kit and then s his shirt easily, opening to expose his torso and the huge bruise forming around a wound. Her eyes widen and then hurry to apply medication to him. Hyunmin enters the room three quarters through the break and he freaks at the scene. Junghye offers a pleading look and he nods, looking at the bruise before planting himself outside of the classroom.

 

The bell rings as Junghye finishes patching up Daniel. She bites down on her lower lip as she bandages it quickly as she hears the noise outside the classroom increase. She hears the protests of her classmates as Hyunmin makes up excuses. Once it was done, she shoots a glance to Daniel who hurries her to keep the items.

 

She does before rushing to the door; opening it slightly and then heads to put the box back to its place. The classroom door opens and Hyunmin stumbles in with her other classmates. They look at Junghye and Daniel quite scandalously, whispering among themselves. Daniel stands up, his chair screeching against the floor, which makes everyone fall silent. “Busybodies,” he mutters loud enough for everyone to hear.

 

He proceeds to leave the classroom, Hyunmin immediately rushing after him. Junghye glances between the door and her classmates, biting down on her lower lip. She runs out of the door just as the bell rings. She hears her name being yelled by the teacher who just entered the room fade away.

 

She quickens her pace to catch up with the males and soon finds herself in the gym – more accurately the basketball court. Daniel limps to the bleachers and sits himself down, groaning in pain. Hyunmin is right by his side, ing the other’s shirt to see that the wound opened, blood flowing. 

 

Both Hyunmin and Junghye’s eyes widen as Hyunmin works to unwrap the wound, Daniel easily letting himself being treated. Junghye runs towards the box with a red cross and grabs it before sprinting back to the duo. The box is immediately opened as her hand scrambles to find the equipment needed.

 

Daniel reaches out to grab her hands, stopping her momentarily. He stares at her as his face scrunches up slightly at the pain. His eyes were telling her to focus. His grip then loosens and she looks back into the box, calmly gathering the tools. Hyunmin glances at them before a small smile appears.

 

Once the wound was properly patched up and the first aid kit packed away, Junghye looks up to make eye contact with Daniel. The pain on his face faded slightly but he stares back, cradling his injured side. What happened? Daniel feels that he’s into another world where words didn’t matter.

 

He shakes his head and she frowns slightly as Hyunmin makes his way back, sitting next to the male. Hyunmin curiously glances between the duo. Daniel sighs softly and shifts his position, immediately being supported by Hyunmin. “I was… in a fight,” the pink-haired mumbles under his breathe.

 

It was loud enough for the other two. Hyunmin doesn’t move, albeit used to it whereas Junghye stares at him with wide eyes. Daniel could detect the slight worry in her eyes and raise his free hand to wave it off. “I’m fine, Junghye,” he reassures. “Once this heals, I’ll be fine.”

 

Junghye feels her heart skip slightly at the way her name rolls off his tongue. It was so foreign, already used to be called by the nickname of peasant. It started off as hatred towards the single word but it now developed to certain affection despite its rude meaning. Daniel notices her state and realizes that he had called her by name.

 

Hyunmin nudges the older slightly, gesturing to Junghye with his head and the older nods to reply. The younger smiles slightly, using his head once again, to indicate that he’ll be leaving first. Daniel glares at him as he bounces up silently, running towards the door while encouraging the older. Daniel frowns before his gaze lands back to Junghye.

 

“Hey,” he gets her attention and they make eye contact. “You should…”

 

She looks curiously. Daniel clears his throat awkwardly, “You should head back.”

 

Something falls away from her eyes and she gasps slightly. She then nods before standing up, dusting off the imaginary dust. She gives him a worried look and he reassures her. She nods hesitantly and turns to walk. 

 

He stares at her back figure and something pricks inside of him. “Peasant,” he calls out and she turns. “Do you… wanna… you know… stay here with me?”

 

Once again, shock registers within her but she regains her state and nods. She then proceeds to sit next to him with distance between them. She swings her feet in the air, staring at her shoes. Being lost in her thoughts, she didn’t realize that a certain pair of eyes was on her. 

 

They stay in silence for ages before Daniel finally speaks up, “Hey… Can I ask you something?”

 

She looks at him and he continues. “Erm… how did you know that grandmother? I mean… she definitely isn’t your real grandmother. She doesn’t call you by your name,” he asks slowly, watching her emotions.

 

Junghye looks at him for a moment then offers a small smile. She jumps to the floor, nodding her head before walking away. “Hey!” Daniel calls out but she doesn’t turn around.

 

The curiousity grows within him, Who is that grandmother?