Too Late

Too Late

His half through from washing the dishes when his mom called him from their living room.

"Soo my dear, your phone's buzzing." His mom shouted.

"Okay mom! Just leave it, I'll check that after I'm done here." He replied, also shouting.

He guessed that it was his bestfriend, Sungyeol. They haven't seen each other for almost a week, because it's a Christmas Holiday Break in their school. He thinks that maybe, it's just Sungyeol greeting him a 'Merry Christmas' because that guy never forgets to greet him even just a 'good morning'.

His now drying his hands because his done on the dishes. He then went to the living room to join his mother having a Skype with his father. His father can't be with them this Christmas because his father is busy with his work, being a bussinessman requires you to move from one place to another. Gladly, his mother was not interested on tagging together with his father anywhere, if that happens, he won't be having a bestfriend like Sungyeol thinking that he'll be moving from place to place.

He enjoyed talking with his father that he forgets that he just received a message.

After saying goodbye to his father, he immediately went upstairs to have a rest on his room. Before laying down on his bed, he opened his phone and he's not wrong, Sungyeol was the one who texted him but he was surprised on what's on the message. Shocked, he deleted it immediately. He didn't think that what he did would change everything.

 

 

 

_______

 

 

"Did you received my text? Why didn't you reply?" His bestfriend, Sungyeol said expectantly.

"Huh? What text? You didn't even greet me 'Merry Christmas'!" He replied, not looking on Sungyeol's sad face.

"Really? Are you sure?" Sungyeol asked again, but his face turned into a rejected one.

"Yeah, nah~ never mind. I'm sure I know what you texted me. It's just to greet me." He said, trying to stop Sungyeol from spilling the content of what he texted on that day.

"I guess." Sungyeol said, voice above a whisper. "Wait, I forgot. I need to go somewhere. Bye!" Then Sungyeol was gone.

 

 

_______

 

 

Since that day, they're very distant from each other. It seems like they're avoiding each other's side. Whenever they were together, the atmosphere was very awkward. But still, they know deep inside that they were still bestfriends forever. That atmosphere lasted for almost four months.

Until one day, Myungsoo regretted why he deleted Sungyeol's message last Christmas Day.

"Myungie, I would like you to meet my boyfriend, Woohyun. Woohyun, this is my bestfriend, Myungsoo." Sungyeol introduced.

Myungsoo's heart crushed. He didn't know why. It seems like he only wants Sungyeol for himself and no one else. It sounds selfish but yes, he doesn't want to share Sungyeol. What hurts the most is that, his bestfriend already had a boyfriend yet Sungyeol didn't tell him about this. Feeling his tears falling, he didn't received Woohyun's hand, instead he run away. Away from reality.

 

 

_______

 

 

After saying goodbye with his father, he immediately went upstairs to have a rest on his room. Before laying down on his bed, he opened his phone and he's not wrong, Sungyeol was the one who texted him but he was surprised on what's on the message.

From: Choding

Myungie, I've been contemplating this if I should do this, but today is just the day that I got the courage to say this to you.... I love you. Yes, I love you. You read it right, I love you a long time ago. I have fallen for you since we were just in High School. I hope that after you read this, you would reply to me. Don't worry, I didn't expect you to love me back. I just want to know what would you say, coz' I still want our friendship to remain if ever you'll reject me. I love you and Merry Christmas!

Shocked. He deleted it. He didn't expect a confession from his bestfriend. Eventhough he feels a little bit of happiness from the message but his fear still dominates. Fear of loving. Fear of losing his friend. And a fear of being joked. Knowing Sungyeol, for sure it is just a joke.

 

 

_______

 

 

After that incident, Sungyeol tried to contact him. Sungyeol went to their house everyday. But he just shut him down, even in school when Sungyeol tried to approach him, he quickly avoided him.

He didn't know why he's doing this, maybe he's just hurt because he realized that he loves Sungyeol but it was too late. His stupidity was the cause of it. Because he ignored Sungyeol's confession, now Sungyeol moved on and find another one and just stayed on him as bestfriend.

But he knows that there should be a day where they should talk to each other. They are bestfriends after all, they should fix this. He knows that he shouldn't let their friendship go to waste just for his damn feelings. His at fault for this, he should fix this.

To: Choding

Yeol, let's talk. Meet me on the usual place this afternoon.

 

 

_______

 

 

This is it, this is the right time to let it all. When he arrived, Sungyeol was already there, squatting on the green grass.

This place is their secret place, it's like a garden. They have been taking care of this place since they were a child. And this place is too important for them that's why he choose this place to talk to Sungyeol.

"Yeol. Let me talk first." He said sternly, because he noticed that when Sungyeol saw him, the older was about to open his mouth.

Sungyeol nodded.

"I lied. I received your message on that day Yeol. I am sorry for lying to you, I'm just too shocked about it. I was afraid that maybe you were just joking. I am sorry Yeol. And also, I'm sorry for being rude with Woohyun and avoiding you since that day. When you introduced Woohyun to me, it's the time that I've realized that I love you. I'm avoiding you because I'm jealous Yeol, I love you so much. I am sorry for being stupid, I know this is too late and this is too impossible but still I want to ask. Can you love me back Yeol?" He explained, and now he was crying.

Sungyeol was silent for a while, not looking on him. After five minutes, Sungyeol finally break the silence.

"You know, when you said that you didn't received it? I was so hurt. It hurts me so much, because it was the only day that I become brave to confess to you. You know why it hurts me more? Because I know that you lied to me, I know you just as you know yourself. I'm your bestfriend since we were five, so I can now read you like an open book. But when you said that you didn't received it? It's just the same as you rejected me and you're ashamed of me being in love with you, because you just can reject me directly but thinking that you lied it's really like that. Being ashamed of me. And now? You're saying that you love me? And if I can love you back? Yes, I still love you but I love Woohyun now." Sungyeol replied, also crying.

"I know Yeol, I am sorry. But, why? Why can't you love me back?" He asked again, now sounding like pleading.

Sungyeol then turned his gaze to him.

"Because you were selfish. You just wanted me for yourself yet you taken me for granted. And now when I have someone you then want me back?" Sungyeol said.

Sungyeol grabs his hand.

"But even if you're like that, your still my bestfriend. I love you more than Woohyun, but the only love that was left for you is just a brotherly love anymore because Woohyun already occupies my heart. Please don't be mad at me anymore, you're still part of my heart but you should learn to share with Woohyun because his my boyfriend now." Sungyeol explained as he caressed his hands.

"I'm sorry for hurting you Yeol. I'm sorry for asking you like that, I understand. Yes, I should learn to share with him. I'm sorry and I love you Yeollie." He then buried his face in Sungyeol's chest.

 

Maybe, were not meant for each other. Sungyeol and Myungsoo was not meant to be, instead Sungyeol and Woohyun is. Myungsoo still needs to find his.

Because, Sungyeol and Myungsoo will always be bestfriends.