To Joy

Love Letter

I remember seeing you for the first time. You had long black hair. You were pretty, and you smiled ever so brightly as you danced.

But my eyes wondered. I didn’t give you my heart. Instead, I gave it to the girl beside you. She was short, and she was pretty too. Her voice dripped sweet honey and nectar. I was mesmerized by her. I loved her.

I don’t know when it happened. I don’t know how it happened. But I fell in love with you.

Was it gradual? Was it in an instant? I don’t really know, but I do know that I’m undeniably in love with you.

When you had your long black hair, I didn’t think much of you.

When you sang about the night, I noticed your voice. You made me feel like I was floating.

When you played a dangerous game, I was amazed. You still looked pretty with that blinding neon hair of yours.

When you acted in a love story, I was happy. But I wasn’t at the same time. I didn’t know why. Thinking back, it must’ve been because of that boy.

When summer came, I was stunned. Were your smiles always that lovely? Since when did you start healing me?

When you had your long black hair again, I realized. I had fallen in love. Perhaps far too deep to escape.

You are beautiful. Your voice makes me high, and your smile makes my worries gone. I didn’t care about how you looked. Whether you had short or long hair, black or red, with bangs or without bangs, none of those mattered really. You looked lovely to me regardless.

I suppose it had been gradual. I suppose love is like a roller coaster. The way up is slow, and before you noticed, you’re already falling.

But a roller coaster has an end. Must mine too?

Will my love for you fade one day? Or will I continue to love you until I can’t remember you anymore?

I don’t know, and I supposed I’ll never know. I can’t predict the future.

You don’t know me. I doubt you ever will. But I hope that you’re okay with me loving you.

Because until you no longer need me, I will love you with the bottom of my heart.

The you who gave joy to my life.