Christmas miracle

Surprise, my love!

It was the 9th of December. And it was freaking cold. The perfect weather for wrapping yourself into a cozy blanket and playing human burrito, while drinking hot chocolate and watching old Christmas movies. That's perfect.

Yet, I was standing at the bus station, in that inhuman weather, waiting, because Kim Kibum just couldn't answer his ing phone. By the time, I sent roughly fifty messages, explaining how my is freezing off, and how I wasn't sure if my limbs were still attached to my body, I was seriously considering if I should just go home and do the human burrito thing, when I finally received a message.

“Come to the school.”

Well, that wasn't exactly the plan we talked about before I came, but considering my options, after some thinking, I chose not to freeze to the ground and started to make my way towards my friend's school.

We haven't really had the time to meet nowadays, so when he said he would be free after school that day, I was on my way immediately. It was his senior year and that day he had dance practice for prom. I was really looking forward to seeing him dance.

When I finally got in front of his school I spotted him in the crowd. The only thing, he wasn't alone. He stood there with a guy I didn't know.

Even though I did my best to slow down and give the chance to Key to come over to me, he didn't move. So as much as I wanted to avoid the meeting with the stranger, hence the antisocial I was, I didn't have much choice.

“Hi!” I arrived next to them and felt my awardness surface.

“Hey, you came!” I got a hug from Key “Oh, he's my dance partner” I looked at the guy.

“Hi, I'm Minho” he introduced himself.

“Taemin” I said while shaking his hand.

“So, should we go?” asked Key while already starting towards the way I came from.

I followed him and was about to say goodbye to the guy, when I realized he was coming along, walking on Key’s other side.

“So… It took you a while to come out” I said to Key, hoping the guy would just go away already.

A little explanation here. No, I didn't have any problem with him. He didn't look creepy at all, he was kind, and I didn't hate him for any specific reason. I simply hated human beings without any condition. I had my circle of friends - two people to be exact -, who I could talk without having a breakdown, but that was it.  When it came to strangers, I lost it.

“How can you bear being in school for this long?” I asked. It was almost four in the afternoon.

“We usually stay for this long. I guess every high school is like this, aren't they?” said Minho, looking at me.

“Not mine” I muttered, trying not to sound too awkward.

“Yeah, his school is really different. Like, he's home around noon, what the ?” said Key while we were making our way to the bus station.

We've arrived to the place I waited and was freezing before the meeting and they stopped. I don't know why did they stop, but I did cause I was hoping the guy would finally go home…

So, there we stood, on a winter day, waiting for some kind of a miracle, since none of us actually made it less awkward.

That was the moment what my dear friend found the perfect opportunity to notice someone he knew in the crowd and excuse himself to go and have a quick half an hour chat with that person, leaving me and stranger guy standing there, looking at each other like two pigeons, waiting for that mentioned miracle. I was about to cry from the awkwardness of the situation when he started talking.

“He leaved us here pretty quickly.” he said, looking after Key.

“Yeah, he's just like this” I said, looking at him and taking off my beanie. That was the moment when it became windy and my hair started to try and suffocate me. “This is what you have to deal with if you have long hair… “ I said apologizing, after finishing the battle with said hair.

“Yeah, I know how is it” Minho laughed and took off his cap, revealing his long hair.

“Well, your hair is longer than mine…” I said, looking at him. His hair was in a ponytail, long in the middle, cut short on the sides of his head.

“Well, there's an anime character I like, who has this hairstyle. He's in Tokyo Ghoul.”

“Uta really has a similar hair.” I said, noticing how he stared at me with pure surprise.

“You watch anime?” Minho asked with wide eyes.

“Yeah, I like animes, like since I was six, maybe…” After saying this, I noticed how he started to come over to me. He came closer. And closer. He didn't stop.

What the actual ?! What's going on? Is he insane? He wants to kill me. Oh my God, he has his arms wide open. He's gonna hug me? Kill me or hug me? Which one is worse??? Help? Kibuuuum!

While that little breakdown was happening inside my head, my body was actually frozen. I didn't know what to do. Before I could think about any way to escape, I already felt a pair of arms around me, the guy who I just met like twenty minutes ago, embracing me, on the street, in front of everyone, and I'm about to have a mental breakdown. Finally, he released me, and I got a chance to get back into reality. And that was the moment Kibum came back and saved the day.

.

.

.

.

After a few hours of talking, and having dinner in a Chinese restaurant, we decided, it was time to head home. Minho actually stuck with us for all day and was walking us to the bus stop.

While Minho and Key said goodbye, and hugged each other, i tried my best to melt into the asphalt, so i can get away without any other awkward moment for the day. It seemed like it would work, he said goodbye to me from a few meters distance, what I really appreciated, when he suddenly spun around, arms wide open, coming into my direction.

“Alright, for you too!”

I accepted the hug gracefully, and did my best not to jump in front of a passing bus. It felt longer than it actually was. Once he released me, for the second time that day, our bus arrived. We said goodbye and were finally on our way home.

“So, what do you think about Minho?” Kibum asked curiously.

“He seems like a good guy…” except his really outgoing nature.

“I'll get you two together!”

“No chance… “

.

.

.

.

It was two or three days after that awkward encounter, when I got a message from Minho. “Hey! What's up?”

I was really surprised. I gave him my number because I wanted to contact his cousin. Not because I wanted to talk with him.

“Nothing. I was just watching a horror movie” I typed back.

“Oh. How was it?”

“It was disturbing…” just like you…

.

.

.

.

That's how it went for a few days. He messaging me, and I'm trying to get him to leave me alone without being a jerk. It was really hard. We talked almost everyday, and he didn't seem to give up.

It almost felt like he was interested in me. Like he liked me. But that was impossible. Who in their right mind would actually find me attractive? I didn't like myself at all, how could someone else do that then?

Yeah, he was most probably bored. Or he just wanted to make fun of me. Who knows..

Then one day I didn't receive any messages from him. And then for another day. It was like three days without him contacting me, and I was releaved. Finally, he got bored of me. As expected.

Except one thing. I spent all day looking at my phone, unconsciously waiting for a message with Minho’s name. But it didn't come.

Why did I feel like I was missing him? That was impossible…

.

.

.

.

After a few days I went over to Kibum’s place.

I felt weird. I felt happy about not ending up as the subject of someone's joke, but at the same time I missed talking to him. I started to question my sanity.

Once I was sitting on Key’s bed, talking about some korean boyband, an idea came to me, which I was most probably regret later on.

“Hey, Kibum…” I said, cutting him off in the middle of a sentence about a hot guy. “I've been talking with Minho”

“Yeah? He messaged you?”

“Yes, and I'm maybe going crazy, but… Arent his messages are like…” I got my phone our of my pocket, and handed it to him. “Like he is interested in me?”

I watched anxiously how he read trough the messages we exchanged with Minho.

“Wow. He actually wrote a whole book to you. When I try to talk to him, I'm lucky to get a two words answer.” He said with ab amused expression.

“So?” I asked, eager to get an answer. If I should immediately get rid of any surfacing feeling I started to have and bury them deep, so they won't come up in the near future,or if there's really a chance I was right, and Minho liked me. At the moment I didn't know which one did I I want to be true.

“I don't know.” started Kibum, looking at me. “He's kinda like this, with everyone. But seeing how much does he message you, I would say, he's actually into you.”

“Really?!” I said maybe a little bit too excitedly.

“Yeah. Wait.” he looked at me with narrowed eyes. “Do YOU like him?”

“What? No!” I denied immediately, but giving it some thought, I sighed and said “Okay. Maybe. I guess.”

“Oh my God! You like him! “ Kibum started to jump on the bed.”And I'll be the one who introduced you to your first boyfriend. Oh my God!”

“Okay, okay. Stop.” I stopped him before he would already start to arrange my marriage. “I don't know. I don't really beleive he would like me. Like, actually want to be with me, you know…”

“Well…” he started to think. “I'll ask him.”

“What? No.”

“I won't be too obvious, relax.” he was already dialing Minho’s number.

After a few seconds, he picked up.

“Hey!”

“Hey. What are you doing?” asked Kibum and started a little conversation with him. They were talkimg about everyday stuff while I sat there awkwardly, waiting.

After a few minutes, Key looked at me.

“So, Minho. Do you remember Taemin?“

Key asked. And that was when my nervousness kicked in. And I started to… laugh.

“Yes,I remember, why?” Minho asked on the other side of the line, but didn't get an answer, since Key started to laugh along with me, and couldn't really form words. After a few tries he excused himself, telling Minho he would call him back later, since he has some stuff to do.

Once he ended the call, and calmed down from the laughing, he turned to me.

“I'll walk you home and we'll call him on the way there.”

.

.

.

.

When we were finally on the street, we embraced ourselves to avoid any situation similar to the one before.

Minho picked up the phone and Key started to talk.

“Hey, what's up?”

“I'm making spaghetti.” we could hear the dishes in the background.

“Alright. So. I was about to ask you about Taemin…”

“What do you want to ask about him? “ Minho asked.

“What do you think about him?”

“He's cool.” came the short answer.

“Okay, okay, but what do you think about him like that? “ kibum asked, looking at me.

“Like that, huh…” I was so nervous, I felt like it was a bad idea. “He's good looking. I like him. But if he doesn't feel the same way, I still have a good friend in him.”

That was when I started to have another mental breakdown. He said he likes me.

So, what now?

.

.

.

.

When I got home, i wad already greeted with a message from Minho. My heartbest was so fast, it was unhealthy.

“Hey! What's up?”

“Hi. Nothing really. I just came home. And with you?” I typed back.

“Not much. Well. Would you like to, maybe meet sometime?”  he wrote and I was grinning ear to ear.

“Sure, where do you want to meet?”

“I didn't think about it.” he admitted

“We sould go to the Christmas market in the town? “ I suggested.

“Okay. Good idea. We'll meet there then.”

.

.

.

.

It was the 22nd of December. And i was waiting for Minho. I arrived early so I actually had to ask Kibum to give me his number, so I could infrom him where I was.

I waited there for roughly fifteen minutes, when i spotted him running towards me.

“Sorry, for being late.” he panted.

“It's okay. ‘ I said and for my surprise too, i hugged him.

“Okay. Let's go.”

We started towards the Christmas market, and was halfway there when I spotted Kibum coming out if a shop. Well, that wasn't exactly an accident. My anxiety just didn't let me live in peace, and I fely like I didn't want to stay alone with Minho, so I called him aksing where he was. And after getting that information, I went that way,so we could “accidentally” run into him.

We talked a bit with him, but he wasn't putting up with my stupidness, and after five minutes, he announced he has to go home.

So I had no chance getting out of this.

We walked to the Christmas market, and on the way Minho grabbed my hand and started to jump around like a five years old. Like, what the is wrong with this guy?! But I have to admit, he was kinda cute…

And he was the first guy to hold my hand. And it felt good.

When we got there, he bought some sweetdand dragged me in front of the stage. He started to stupidly dance to the music the groul on the stage were playingand tried to get me in too. I didn't really want to, but Minho gave me no choice when he stood behinde me, grabbed both of my arms, aand started swinging them in the air. Not exactly for the rhythm of the music, but that wasn't the point.

After a while out in the cold, we decided we would go to his place, so we wouldn't freeze, and so he would show me their dogs.

When it was late and i had to head home, he walked me out to the bus stop. He hugged me, said goodbye, and I didn't mind the hugs at all.

I already went insane.

.

.

.

.

24th of December. A day before Christmas.

I stood at the bus stop, waiting for Minho to come and get me.

Thw other day we agreed on meeting at his place to watch some anime. It was a good plan, but I was hoping for more to happen. Not too much, but something.

When I finally saw him, and hugged him as usual - usual with him, since no one else could hug me until that point-, we made our way to his apartment.

When we arrived, I sat down in his room, waiting for him to come in, and started to play with the doggo.

I have to admit, I don't remember much from that day. The next I know is, we wre sitting on Minho's bed, talking about everything, when we got to thr topic of blushing.

“I blush really easily.” I said. “My whole face will look like a cooked tomato in a few seconds and it won't go away” I laughed and Minho joined me. Then he told me.

“I bet I can make you blush in one second”

“Can you?” I looked at him.

“Yes. Wanna try it?” he asked, and I nodded.

“Go ahead”

I expected everything but the feeling of his lips on mine. I was in shock. It was my first kiss, and it felt really good.

I became a gooey mess inside, and fel my stomach fill with butterflies.

When he pulled back, I was still recovering from what just happened, when he asked me the question I never heard before. What I was hoping to hear some day, but actually never believed, I would. The question that changed my life. What I wanted to hear from him.

“Would you be my boyfiend?”

.

.

.

.

Fast forward two years.

I got my phone out of my pocket as I was sitting down on my bed, smiling, and being proud of myself and my idea.

I opend the chat app, tapped on Minho’s name, and started typing.

“Hey, bunny! It's Valentines Day!

I know we've agreed on not giving presents to each other this year.

But let me just show you something… “