fin

The Stars Above Land and Sea
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

It's not easy—not in the least bit when you're the king’s daughter.

 

It leaves room for a lot of contemplating, actually.

 

Joohyun walks ten paces forward and swiftly turns herself around, walking another ten paces until she’s moving back and forth on an invisible line. Her arms are folded in front of her chest partly because it's her thinking pose, but mainly because the breeze is accompanied by a slight chill. Spring has just begun and the delicate fabrics that were spun into her dress do not warrant well against the cold. She also thinks that the tailor got her measurements wrong, as the ends of her dress drag along the stone pavement.

 

Despite the mistake, she pushes the inexperienced royal tailor away from her mind when there are clearly bigger matters to wrap her head around.

 

Another ten paces and she doesn't flip back around. This time, she turns to face the cherry blossom tree that is nestled in the center of the courtyard. It's not yet time for the pink blossoms to bloom, but Joohyun smiles seeing the green buds that are beginning to sprout all over the branches.

 

Call her a romantic, but the royal princess believes there is something magical about the cherry blossom tree. It brings a flutter to a heart, with the way stray petals of pastel pinks and whites move along the carried winds of the West. She breathes in the air of the palace courtyard and can almost smell the sweet fragrance, wishing for arrival of spring's warmth desperately.

 

Then, she wouldn't feel as trapped as she is now.

 

Joohyun stares up at the endless sky and briefly wonders which is more blue: the sea above, or the one with ocean shores? And then she wonders if the grass is really greener past the meadow she views from her chamber’s window, or are the blades duller than what she’s made to believe?

 

The young heiress shakes her head and brings her attention back to the tree, reprimanding herself for getting distracted again. Another breeze passes and the branches sway in front of her.

 

Her father, the beloved king, declared another decree this morning. She runs his words through her head again:

 

High ranking officials of Nadir will be taking respite in the palace halls, and in doing so, we will work to establish peace among the two kingdoms.

 

Joohyun loves and respects her father with all her heart, there is no doubt. But, she is unable to determine the method to his madness this time, for it puzzles her to the very core. The two kingdoms of Zenith and Nadir have been warring long before Joohyun was born, and it's all written down in their history books.

 

Zenith, the word itself, means utmost success and greatness. It's home to the Bae’s, the nation’s current successors who vow to keep their people reaching for the clouds and far from the dark clutches of Nadir. On the other hand, Nadir is ruled by the Kangs, said to be dark and ruthless to the very bone. Joohyun recalls her teacher telling her of the horrors people face in the Southern lands and she shivers not from the cold.

 

While Zenith stands for the sky, Nadir finds meaning in the deepest trenches of the ocean. No one really remembers how the fighting began either, nor do they understand why they still do it now. She once heard a great king of the past wanted to aid the country of Nadir, but was met with ferocious rejection that lead to the beginning of a never-ending war. In another rendition, it was believed that the barbaric Nadicans mercilessly sacked Zenith villages.

 

Regardless of wherever the truth lies, Joohyun is sure her father's decision means no good.

 

The Crown Princess is not naive, she has heard the palace maidens whispering words of civic unrest at every decision her father makes. He threatens the people’s security by welcoming mortal enemies into the heart of the city, and Joohyun fears many. She fears an uprising, the loss of her father's support, and she is especially fearful of the Nadicans that will stomp through the very place that she calls home.

 

“Your Highness, the King wishes to speak with you in the stables.” Joohyun nods to her servant, Sooyoung, and hikes up her dress, following the young lady down to the place where her father often spends his time. The princess doesn't share the same liking, however. She'd rather spend the time in the library or enjoying a hot cup of herbal tea under the gazebo by the garden.

 

The stench of manure permeates into the air and Joohyun spots her father beside a pristine horse of white. Sooyoung bows and leaves the two promptly as Joohyun approaches her father. She does her customary bow while the King continues brushing the royal steed's coat. “What is it that you must ask of me, father?”

 

Joohyun takes a step back when the horse whinnies loudly, and the man pats the horse gently. “I believe it is you who holds the questions, my dear.” He's facing her now and Joohyun remembers that her father’s intelligence can rival any scholar roaming the country roads. He’s always been intuitive, both as a ruler and a father.

 

She fumbles for a reply, but finds it easy to calm her jumbled thoughts by looking up at his gentle gaze. “Why are you allowing them here? They've killed our people, and us theirs. Has it ever occurred to you father, with all due respect, that they are capable of slitting our throats in the night?” He gives an acknowledging nod, but doesn't say more.

 

“Come, my daughter. It has been long since you have practiced horse riding.” The king ushers her closer to the steed, and Joohyun slowly reaches her fingers out to touch his silver maine. She breathes out a sigh of relief when the horse does not huff or show signs of hostility. “Joohyun, you hold the name of the Bae household. Do not fear our companions any longer, for they push us towards great limits.” He gives her a single look before hoisting the small girl up onto the steed.

 

Joohyun tries for a brave front and to keep a still face, but her hands that are tightly gripping the reigns are shaking. The king leads them forward, walking while Joohyun sits atop of the animal. “Tell me, my dearest, are you tired of the fighting? The terrible news that comes from our Southern provinces every morning?”

 

The girl doesn't take another moment to respond. “Yes.”

 

“Then you have answered your question.”

 

“But that does not mean we should treat them like civils, nor does that mean we should house them.” Her father takes another pause as they trod through the entrance of a beaten path into the forest. Joohyun admits that the view does distract her, the girl breathing in the crisp air of nature.

 

“Perhaps I am wrong. Maybe they will be the ones to end our great dynasty.” Joohyun turns to look at the king with wide eyes as he continues. “But I am willing to find out.”

 

“Father!”

 

“Do not be so worried, my dear. They are sending their Crown Princess, along with a few nobles and a small troop.” Joohyun is even more shocked at this bit of information.

 

“Princess Kang Seulgi?” The man nods, leading the horse along the path in silence. Joohyun takes this moment to ponder. She never would have thought that one of the high ranking officials would mean the princess of Nadir herself. Is the young lady unafraid to venture into enemy terrain with such a small group of loyals?

 

“I have an inkling as to what you are pondering about.” She brings her eyes back to her father as they enter a clearing beside a small stream. “Do not take the Nadicans so lightly. That young princess is heavily trained in combat and naval expertise. I’ve heard stories about her exploring the treacherous seas with a small crew far too many times.”

 

This piques Joohyun’s interest even further.

 

A princess should be inside learning how to thread rather than fighting like a brute. Though, there is a hint of envy when she thinks of all the adventures the princess must’ve experienced. The king holds his arms out and Joohyun gracefully swivels off of the horse. He settles her onto the ground and continues towards the sound of running water, Joohyun trailing after him with slow steps as she takes in their surroundings.

 

It's a new sight for her, the reviving trees making way for sunlight to beam down at them and the stream that teems with small fish. “Where are we?”

 

The man spreads his arms out in a stretch as he deeply inhales, relaxing his stiff and broad shoulders that have been tense lately. “My little haven.” He turns around and smiles at her with his arms still outstretched, the scruff of his beard making him look much older than he is.

 

There are a number of wrinkles that form at the corners of his mouth and eyes, and it occurs to Joohyun that time does not do well for a man in her father's position. “It’s not much, but it’s a place where I can clear my mind in times of doubt.” He gestures her closer. “And I have brought you here to share this haven with my dearest daughter.”

 

The King of Zenith takes Joohyun’s delicate hands into his callused ones and stares into her swirling irises. “Joohyun, I am understanding of the consequences that may arise from my decision. And if I am indeed wrong about the people of Nadir, I entrust that you will know what to do.” An invisible weight looms over the Crown Princess’ shoulders as she receives his message.

 

Despite the burden, her stare does not lose fervor and instead, grows stronger. Joohyun nods solemnly and responds with, “Yes, father. I will not let you down.”

 

He proudly smiles at her and lets go, turning around with his hands clasped behind his back. “Let us hope it does not come to that conclusion.” 

 

 

 

The most anticipated day arrives much sooner than Joohyun expects.

 

The entire palace is buzzing with chatter, maidens and guards preparing for the arrival of Kang Seulgi and her loyal followers. Joohyun doesn’t know what to expect, besides the notion that these visitors are up to no good.

 

She paces in her bedroom chamber until there is a knock on her door, loud and steady. It’s Sooyoung, “Your Highness, it is time to greet our visitors from the South.” She grimaces and whispers assurances to herself in an attempt to quell her rampant nerves. Joohyun closes the door behind her and follows the servant to the palace’s entrance, where her father and the rest of the royal court are waiting.

 

She takes her place beside her father and stares on as a carriage grows closer. Her heart nearly jumps out of her chest when she sights the line of Nadican soldiers trailing behind the horses, marching straight to her home. “We did not agree upon that number of soldiers, right father?”

 

The king looks on and clears his throat, signaling her to silence her thoughts. The tense atmosphere hangs in the air as the carriage draws closer, and the air itself stills when the soldiers stop in front of the palace gates. “Princess Kang Seulgi of the Nadir nation and her servants are before you, King Bae.”

 

He looks at Joohyun before hollering, “Open the gates!” The command echoes around until the gates are pushed open and the carriage continues into the palace property. It stops and there is no other sound heard when the doors slide open.

 

The first to step onto royal Zenith land is a noble, Joohyun assumes, judging by his outfit and the hat sitting upright on his head. But, his face isn’t cleanly shaved, nor does it look friendly. Perhaps he is an overdressed general. The man makes a bow at her father and then swiftly turns back to the carriage, still bent in his position.

 

Joohyun holds her breath as another figure joins the man, repeating his actions without a moment’s pause. She can tell this woman is a soldier of some sort, dressed in armour with a sword strapped at her side. It’s an unusual sight for the people of Zenith, a female warrior that is. They don’t ponder long, however, for another woman takes a graceful step out of the carriage and gestures for the two to stand up.

 

The woman turns to the front and there is no doubt that this is the Princess of Nadir.

 

She’s dressed in the finest of fabrics and dyes, donning a dress that is vibrant with the representative colors of blue and purple. The visitor bows deeply and Joohyun wonders if the manners are all a front. Her father takes the initiative and moves down the palace steps, while Joohyun remains in her position with skepticism.

 

“Princess Kang Seulgi! Welcome to Zenith, I’m sure you are weary from such travel.” The King stands in front of the Princess, yet the young lady is still bent in a bow. “Stand up, please! With ease now.” His voice is merry, but he does not dare to touch her.

 

Seulgi stands up straight at the request and looks up at the king before her, tracing her eyes over his hardened features. “Thank you for hosting my people and I in your own home, Your Highness. It is with much respect.”

 

“Of course, and the same must be said for you. It is quite brave.” Seulgi’s face darkens at this, though only few notice when she nods, and Joohyun is one of them.

 

She peers at the foreign princess, wary of her every action. The king hollers at the servants to direct the Nadicans to their quarters. Before their arrival, the man made it explicitly clear to avoid conflict. He trusts that the people will follow his words, so he gestures for Seulgi to fall in his steps. She then takes a brief minute to address her own subjects, reminding them of the hospitality they should not forget.

 

Seulgi casts an assured look at the armored lady, and proceeds to follow the king. They make it up the stone stairs and the man speaks with his eyes, silently telling his daughter to behave if she wishes all to go well. But, Joohyun isn't looking at the king to notice the seriousness in his expression.

 

She’s busy staring into a beautiful pair of almond eyes that swirl in a captivating shade of brown. They remind her of a tiger’s own, for Joohyun can see the ferocity that lies beneath the surface. Princess Kang is the first to dip her head in a respectful greeting, though Joohyun doesn't miss the smirk drawn on her face.

 

Joohyun bows next and rises when the other does. “Your Highness, this is my beloved daughter, Joohyun. Though a few years older than you, I am sure you two will get along just well.” Joohyun stops herself from openly scoffing.

 

It's a ridiculous assumption and nowhere near a possibility.

 

“Is that so? Then I will look forward to your companionship, Princess Bae Joohyun.” The Princess of Zenith returns the polite smile, though her feelings don't reflect the same sentiment.

 

“Dear, will you please show Princess Kang to her chambers? I have matters to attend to, unfortunately.”

 

Joohyun gives her father a curt nod. “Follow me, Your Highness.” The palace doors open and the two ladies soon find themselves walking along the red carpeted ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter