Final

Roses

 

Mingyu suppose living with zombies isn’t that bad. They’re just your average zombies. They know how to dress themselves, they know how to talk, how to eat; they basically know how to function just like a human does. Except that they’re not human. They’re zombies. 

Excluding the fact that instead of human brains, they eat plants instead. They’re vegetarian and it’s weird, he admits, but he’s glad he doesn’t have to fight for his life every day. Except for today. And every other day before this. And the entire week before this. On days like these he wishes that zombies were flesh eating monsters instead. 

Mingyu walks out of his front door and sighs when he sees the mess his rose bushes are in. 

“Not again,” he says under his breath before stomping his way over with a trash bag in tow, kneeling down to pick up the broken branches and fallen flowers. 

“Morning Mingyu!” His next door neighbors, Soonyoung and Jihoon, calls out when they see him. 

“It happened again huh?” Jihoon ask as he gestures towards the roses. 

“Ughh, yes!” he turns around angrily, “I’ve tried everything! Spreading pig brain over it, putting blood on them, EVERYTHING and nothing works!” Mingyu exclaims as he pulls at his hair. “I just want my roses to be pretty and look nice for people to look at as they walk by! But it can’t if this stupid zombie keeps eating it!” He whines while kicking his feet around.

 

Both Jihoon and Soonyoung stare at him for a bit before Soonyoung leans down to whisper in his boyfriends ear. “He knows that having a rose bush outside his house is like basically asking for them right..?” Jihoon sighs and takes one more look at the upset Mingyu. 

“He’s kinda slow Soonie, give him a break.” Jihoon gives Soonyoung’s bum little pats before ushering him inside. 

 

“Stupid zombie and their stupid vegetarianism and their stupid non eating humans ways.” Mingyu mumbles while shoving the broken branches inside the trash bag, each time harder than the last. “Dumb, stupid, nasty, ugl-“ 

 

“Ahem, Mingyu-ah do you need any help..?” Mingyu looks up ready to tell whoever off but was instead pleasantly surprised to see the most beautiful human being alive (aka the love of his life, aka his classmate since grade 3, aka Wonwoo) 

 

“Do you- do you need any help..?” Wonwoo asks again, this time a little more nervously. 

Mingyu blinks at him, brain still not comprehending the breathtaking sight before him. 

 

The other male blinks back before slowly backing away from him while Mingyu continues to stare, only realizing when it was almost too late that Wonwoo was leaving. 

 

“Wait!” Mingyu gets up from his spot. “I didn’t mean to not answer you. I just uh.. I was just surprised is all.” He looks at the ground, face red from embarrassment. 

 

“Oh, that’s fine. I was just asking because you seemed really upset.. so yeah..” Wonwoo says while his eyes scan the mess of the bush. “So did you want any help..?” Wonwoo gestures towards the roses. 

 

Mingyu smiles, “Yeah, that’d be great actually.” He replies before sitting back down with his legs out in front of him, Wonwoo doing the same. 

“So what’s up with your roses?” Wonwoo asks while delicately picking up the roses. Mingyu pouts as he looks at the mess they’re in. 

“I just wanted to have something nice, something I can’t break with my clumsiness but a stupid zombie keeps eating it and I just-“ Mingyu takes a breath, tears welling up in his eyes (Wonwoo eyes widen upon seeing the tears), “I just want people to appreciate them ya know?” He sniffles and dabs at his tears. “I’m sorry, I’m just being dramatic, like always.” Mingyu his snot in and forces all the tears back into his eyes. “I’m good now,” he turns and smiles stupidly at Wonwoo, his crooked teeth on full display, thinking that he may have weirded the other male out but instead was faced with the cutest little smile adorning Wonwoo’s face. 

“You’re so cute.” Wonwoo says before he laughs, his little nose crinkling. “Aigoo, what are we gonna do about you huh? You’re just too cute for your own good.” Mingyu stares at him, face hotter than the sun, taking in the sight of Wonwoo laughing while calling him cute. He proceeds to lightly pinch Mingyu’s red cheek. “Are you just going to keep staring?” He teases, breaking Mingyu out of whatever breakdown he was currently having because oh my god Jeon Wonwoo just called me cute and touched me I’m never washing my face again.

Mingyu turns away and clears his throat. “Uh, lets start cleaning. It’s almost 11.” He tries to distract himself but life’s hard when all he can feel was Wonwoo staring at him. 

He turns towards him. “Are you gonna help or..?” He raises an eyebrow and points to the mess. 

“Oh, yeah. Sorry,” Wonwoo smiles, “I just couldn’t help but get distracted by your beauty.” Mingyu flushes at that. Gosh, he’s bold. Not knowing how to respond (because let’s be honest, Wonwoo just made him have a mental breakdown again by calling him beautiful) he turns back to his roses, ears hot and red. He resumes his cleaning, this time with Wonwoo’s help. 

 

It was about 12:30 in the afternoon when they finally finished. “Waahhh we’re finally doneee!” Wonwoo exclaims with his arms up as he falls flat on his back, eyes closed. Mingyu stares at him, contemplating if he should ask him or not. After a few seconds and a quick prep talk, he decides he’s going to ask Wonwoo before he chickens out. “Do you want to get lunch?” 

Wonwoo cracks an eye open. “Where at?” 

“Angel’s Diner? It’s about a 10 minute walk from my place. I’ll pay since you helped me today.” Wonwoo props up on his elbow, almost giving Mingyu a heart attack because Jesus Christ look at this y piece of man that’s in front of him. 

He seems to contemplate for a bit, making the already nervous Mingyu even more nervous. 

“Sure.” Wonwoo smiles at him and sits up. “Lead the way Mr. Kim Mingyu.” 

 

Mingyu smiles brightly and attempts to stand up only to fall back due to his numb legs and, with his luck, falls right on top of Wonwoo. 

He groans from the pain before looking up to see a smirking Wonwoo. “I mean, I like you and all but don’t you think we should go out on a few proper dates before you try anything?” Mingyu flushes red, pushing himself off from the other male. 

“L-let’s go.” He swiftly brushes off whatever dirt, trying not to think about what Wonwoo said too much, and quickly walks away. Wonwoo catches up with him quicker than he’d like. He was embarrassed about what happened and in all honesty he didn’t even want to look at Wonwoo’s face. All it did was make him cringe at how clumsy he was. 

“Sooooooo, Kim Mingyu, is this a date?” Wonwoo tilts his head and asks him cutely. “Because if it’s not I’ll be really sad.” This time he pouts and lord, Mingyu can feel his heart dying from how cute Wonwoo looked. “So is it?” Now, Wonwoo was in front of him, walking backwards so that they’d be face to face. 

Mingyu looks at the ground, feeling his face flush for the nth time. “If.. if you want it to be..” he mumbles out. “What? I didn’t quite hear you, can you speak louder?” Wonwoo smiles teasingly, leaning towards him with his hand on his ear. Mingyu felt his face get even hotter. “I said if you want it to be.” He mumbles out a bit louder. 

“Hm,” Wonwoo smiles at him. “Of course I want it to be.” He sticks his hand out towards Mingyu. “Gimme your hand, it’s cold.” He waits as Mingyu stares at his hand. “Mingyyyyyuuuuu.” He starts to make grabby motions (A/N y’all know that thing he did when he was doing aegyo asking for cheeseburgers? Yeah that ._. I dunno how to explain it sorry ;-;) making Mingyu snaps out of whatever trance he was in and shyly put his hand in Wonwoo’s. Wonwoo smiles contently and intertwine their fingers. They both walk hand in hand until they reach the diner and even then, they don’t stop. They continue holding hands until Wonwoo drops Mingyu off at his place, neither of them acknowledging the fact that it was currently the middle of summer and way too hot to be having any form of bodily contact. 

 

 

 

“Did it go well?” Vernon asks the moment Wonwoo walks through the doors to their apartment. 

“What do you mean?” Wonwoo stares at his best friend weirdly. “Did what go well?” 

“Helping Mingyu out. Did it go well?” Wonwoo continues to stare at him in confusion. 

“Hansol, what’re you talking about?” 

Vernon sighs. “Hyung, come on man. I didn’t force you to help him for nothing. We all know you like him. Did it go well or not?” Wonwoo feels himself blush. “I thought it wasn’t obvious.” He mutters under his breath as he takes off his shoe. “It was very obvious, hyung,” Vernon replies before he asks again. “So how’d it go?” 

“Good, I guess.” He situated himself on their couch and then proceeds to tell Vernon all that happened. 

 

“Wow, hyung. You’re so bold!” Vernon laughs. “Where’s the shy Wonwoo hyung I know?” 

Wonwoo groans into the couch pillow. “Oh my god please stop.” 

“Mingyu and Wonwoo sitting in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-“ Vernon squeals when Wonwoo smacks him with the pillow. “Shut up!” He growls before attacking Vernon with the pillow repeatedly, only stopping when he notices various scratches on Vernon’s arms. 

“Vernon, what happened to your arm?” 

“Wha- ah hyung.” Vernon quickly pulls his arm away. “Nothing happened. I just got a few scratches here and there, that’s all. Nothing serious,” he says nervously, trying to play it off. 

Wonwoo stares at him suspiciously. “Yeah, but how’d you get them?” Vernon looks around desperately, trying to find something that could help him out. 

“Uh, well yo-“ 

 

Pick up hoe, it’s your boyfrie- 

 

His ring tone cuts him off. “Ah, well would you look at that, it’s Seungkwan. Haha. I gotta go.” He quickly darts into his bedroom and closes the door shut. “Oh thank god baby you saved my life.” He says when he picks up. 

“Why? What happened?” 

Vernon puts a hand in his beating, kinda not really, heart. “Hyung was asking me how I got the scratches on my arm.” 

“What’d you tell him? You didn’t tell him how did you?!” Seungkwan screeches from the other end. 

“Of course not. You called just in time.” He hears his boyfriend sigh in relief. 

“That’s good. As long as he doesn’t find out how you got them then we’ll be fine.” 

Vernon pouts. “I feel bad though, Seungkwannie. The roses were really pretty. And hyung said that Mingyu was really upset.”  

“I know baby,” Seungkwan says, voice getting softer. “But we had to destroy them because you know it would’ve taken Wonwoo ages just to talk to him.” 

“But still..” Vernon pouts even more. “The flowers were pretty and I got scratches from the thorns.. and I don’t even like to eat roses.. they taste nasty.” 

“Awh my poor baby. I’ll give all your scratches kisses tomorrow, okay? And I’ll take you out to your favorite place tomorrow to make it up to you.” He says making Vernon brighten up almost immediately. “Okayy!” He says excitedly. 

 

“Hansol-ah!” He hears Wonwoo call out. 

 

“Ah, Seungkwannie I have to go now. I’ll see you tomorrow okay? I love youuu!” Vernon makes kissing sounds into the phone. 

“Okay baby, I love you too.” Seungkwan replies and kisses back. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” 

 

With that, Vernon hangs up and thinks about how ed he’d be if Wonwoo ever found out about him and Seungkwan’s little plan. Because lord knows Wonwoo was wrapped around Mingyu’s finger and would literally do anything for him, just as Mingyu would for him, even if they barely talked. He just hopes they get together soon and forget about the roses. 

 

 

——————————————-

Yeaahhh soooooo ._. Here’s this thing. We were talking about plant eating zombies in my comp class the other day and poof inspiration hit me hard asf. It’s kinda weird but I hope it makes sense..? Thank you for reading! ^^