The Boy in Chains

The Prince Who Lived in Rain

This chapter is for Babybugsy, nothing great but a bit of character building and context. In this story, I don't want to show Suho react to tragedies in life as a victim. I wanted to change that and portray how people cope with lonliness and abandonment issues in their own way and in fact become more independent and even happy. Their way may not be right in the eyes of others, but if it works for them, they should be allowed to be the way they are... I think...

 

One bright sunny morning, the princes of Chronus were called to their father’s throne room.

“You are going to be king one day my son and you should know state craft. From now on, you will attend court. You will be given responsibilities as I see fit.” He said looking at Jongin.

“But father, my training is not over yet.” Jongin whined. The last thing he wanted was to spend time with the old fools at court.

“I know, you will continue your lessons in the afternoon.”

Jongin made to protest but his father waved him away. Tao who was standing nearby couldn’t hold back a giggle at his brother’s expense.

“If you have enough time to chuckle around, I suppose you are old enough to join your brother. Both of you will attend court tomorrow. Am I understood?”

Tao gaped but Jongin pulled his brother down and bowed in agreement.

 

 

“Why exactly are we sitting here?”

“Shhh!”

Four days in court and Tao was already giving Jongin a headache with all his whining.

Tao was lounging carelessly while Jongin sat still and straight on uncomfortably massive thrones. For the past hour Tao had yawned eight times, a fly had rounded back to Jongin’s face five times and Chanyeol had been conspicuously missing. The last fact more than anything made Jongin sigh. His boyfriend was like a ball of sunshine who always made Jongin laugh. Two days ago, Chanyeol’s father had sent word that he was needed home on urgent state business. Chanyeol had left immediately, taking a piece of Jongin with him. Tao had mercifully found a snoring court noble to stare at and Jongin would have nodded off, if not for a commotion at the door.

Jongin heard them before he saw them, heavy chains that dragged noisily even on the smooth marble floor of the palace. The attention of the court shifted hypnotically to that sound. Even Tao looked up and joined Jongin in staring at the source of that sound. There after almost 20 years, stood the boy he had once called a monster.

Suho hadn’t grown that much in height, nor in weight it seems but there was a kind of wiry grittiness to him. He seemed to have lost his puppy fat and a handsome man stood in place of the cute child they had all seen years ago. His hair was unkempt and long and hid half his face. He was dressed in silk that didn’t fit him and the sleeves fell low on his shoulders. But what attracted everyone’s attention was the heavy manacles on both arms. Jongin wouldn’t have known it was Suho if the manacles didn’t reveal the burn marks left on his wrists when Chanyeol pushed him away on the day Tao fell all those years ago.

A stocky short man stood next to him. He bowed low to the court while Suho did the same. The king of Chronos, Jongin’s father, stood up to welcome them.

“Prince Xiumin and prince Suho, a very warm welcome to you both. We did not expect you both this early.

“Apologies my lord, we unexpectedly made good speed and consequently arrived earlier than previously planned.”

“No matter prince, you both should be weary from your travel. Rest and refreshments are in order. We have made arrangements for you to stay in the main castle. Prince Suho, we have your old room ready for you…”

Suho looked up, bright brown eyes staring at the king of Chronos.

“I would rather not stay in the palace my lord. I humbly request that you allow me to stay in the eastern tower facing the sea.”

“The towers are no place for a prince. I was hoping you can stay in the palace and get to know my sons a little bit better this time.”

Suho looked over at Jongin impassively and then nodded towards prince Xiumin who bowed to the king and said, “It is very generous of you my lord but as my brother’s caretaker, I know it would be better for his health to stay in the towers. Prince Suho’s powers need special attention and I will not be able to provide the care he needs in the palace.”

Suho laughed at that and twirled around waving his chains. “What my dear half-brother is saying is that I am dangerous and despite the chains, its better I stay as far away from the likes of precious princes lest I might push them down flights of stairs. Forgive me my lord but I have no interest in fraternizing with the charming princes. I am way beneath them and I am here to fight in your war. As you have paid my father generously, I will endeavor to ensure that you get more than your money’s worth.”

Suho bowed once again and without waiting for any response, turned around and started walking to the entrance.

A visibly embarrassed Xiumin bowed in apology in Suho’s place.

“I apologize my lord, my brother has come under my care only recently and I believe until then he didn’t have much exposure to people. His rude behavior is unforgivable but please do forgive him on account of his wild nature. It is not his fault that he lacks manners.”

Jongin watched his father contemplate for a moment.

“No need to apologies prince Xiumin. We have a lot to discuss, please rest well and join me for dinner tonight. I would prefer it to be private. My sons will entertain prince Suho for the evening.”

“Thank you my lord.” And with that, prince Xiumin bowed and followed Suho.

 

“Ouch! You are hurting me!”

Only then, Jongin realized that he had been gripping Zitao’s arm tightly. He let go immediately and looked at his brother sheepishly. Jongin couldn’t process whatever he felt on Suho’s arrival and his dismissive words, but Zitao should have seen something in his eyes. For he gently took his brother’s hand and said.

“People change brother. I warned you didn’t I?”

 

Suho and Xiumin had finally made it to the eastern towers. The rooms were bare and unfurnished. The tower itself was unoccupied except for an old couple and their grandson. The palace matron had tried to have Suho stay for the day in the palace while arrangements could be made for the tower to be ready for accommodation but Suho had refused.

Servants were hastily milling about laying furniture and other essentials while Suho and Xiumin retired to the balcony out of earshot.

“That was uncalled for Suho. Being rude here will only win us enemies. We are here for father’s sake and your actions will affect our entire kingdom.”

“Correction, for your father’s sake and for your kingdom. I don’t have anything to do with all this.”

“So why are you here?”

Suho looked surprised at the question. He wondered why he was here. He accepted his father’s request although he hated the man. He couldn’t understand himself and that made him mad at himself.

“Suho, you are my brother and….”

“NO, I AM NOT!”

Suho shouted back. Water started dripping out of him, wetting his hair and clothes. The room shook and the manacles on his arms glowed. A fountain of water projected from his hand at infinite speed towards Xiumin just as Suho screamed.

A second later all was quiet except for Suho panting hard. Frozen water clanked to the ground. They stared at each other and Suho smirked.

“And that’s what you are. You are my keeper, the only one who can control the mad water prince and his power.”

“That is not true Suho! I am here because I want to be here. I want to know the brother that I never knew I had.”

Suho shook his head and reached out for a towel to wipe his face.

“You don’t have to know me Xiumin. You should settle things here and go home before the fighting begins. You have a family, just as I have a job to do.”

“But you are family Suho. I swear I would have come for you sooner if I had known about you.”

Suho sighed and sat down.

“Xiumin, I do not doubt you, but things are what they are. I am what I am and you are what you are. There is no point in looking back and talking about what ifs. I have a life that you may not understand but I am happy with it. Leave things be prince.”

Xiumin looked at Suho curiously.

“You still didn’t answer my question. If not for father, why are you here?”

They stared at each other for a moment and then Xiumin sighed and said,

“I have to get ready for dinner and so do you.”

That night Jongin and Tao waited and waited for the water prince to join them for dinner but he never came. For some reason, Jongin felt more upset about it than he should have been. The two prices returned to their rooms silently and went to bed, each shrouded in their own thoughts.

In Jongin's cupboard, the Spray bubble in the crystal cube restlessly hit the wall of the cube and melted to a puddle only to reform again and repeat the process all over.