the 24-hour diner

strawberry was us, vanilla wasn't

"How's the burger? Is it good?" Curious look written all over her face.

Nayeon was startled for a second, then she cleared , "Yeah, well...It's fine."

 

Momo nodded slowly. She continued chewing her food. They were at their favourite 24-hour diner. The atmosphere was nice when they first found out about this underrated place. The food tasted incredible, the interior was well-designed and they had friendly workers. Just the way Momo and Nayeon like it. But something was off that night. The girl seating opposite her, was acting strange. She noticed some unusual behaviours. 

 

For instance, her girlfriend had always ordered strawberry milkshake but it was vanilla flavoured this time. 

Second, she had always ate her burger with her bare hands but she wrapped the food with napkin this time.

 

("Did you wash your hands?" Momo scrunched up her nose.

The older girl flicked Momo's forehead, "Of course. I'm not the one who tried to put gummy bears in my belly button when I was a kid."

"Hey! That was one time, Im Nayeon! I'm not like that anymore," The younger girl whined.)

 

Third, Nayeon hadn't even look at her in the eyes since the moment they stepped out of their apartment.

 

"Hey, you know what's funny? That you haven't look at me in the eyes since 30 minutes ago. I know I joked about having laser-shooting eyes that day, you don't need to be scared to make eye contact with me," Momo laughed a little. "I won't ever hurt you."

 

("If I had laser-shooting eyes, you don't need to worry about sobbing hideously while chopping the onions anymore. Your reliable girlfriend will do it for you!" The younger girl smirked proudly.

Nayeon shook her head at Momo's wild imagination. "My dear reliable girlfriend, if you had the power, you'd be crying too. You need to use your eyes to cut those onions, remember?"

"Ah," Momo's expression faltered, she pouted. "Damn."

Nayeon walked over to Momo who was laying comfortably on the couch, proceeded to straddle her and gave her a soft peck on the lips that had a hint of minty flavour. Nayeon pulled away and smiled fondly at the younger girl. "Idiot.")

 

"Can you please look at me now?" Momo's voice wavered. She didn't even know why. Was she nervous? 

The older girl finally looked straight into her eyes. Relief was what Momo thought she would feel but it was nothing like that at all. Somehow she felt...uneasy. Nayeon looked different. The look she was giving her was different. It wasn't familiar, it wasn't warm, it was empty.

 

"You don't like the food?" Momo asked.

Nayeon shrugged nonchalantly, "Maybe I'm getting tired of the taste."

"Really?" The younger girl chuckled nervously. "You said you could eat this forever."

"People change, you know." Momo noticed the coldness in the girl's voice.

Momo didn't know how, but she heard a faint noise inside her head, sounded similar to a siren.

 

The girl in front of her finished her food and dabbed a napkin at the corners of . Momo watched Nayeon sipped her vanilla milkshake and didn't miss the small smile that formed on the older girl's lips, obvious that her mind wasn't tethered to Momo but flew somewhere else as she stared at the glass window. Somewhere else.

 

"There's something I need to talk to you about." Nayeon said after slurping the milkshake to the last drop.

Momo felt her heart beating faster. She immediately straightened her back. "I'm all ears."

 

There was a silence. It was deafening. Momo couldn't take it anymore. Momo couldn't take it anymore.

 

"Actually I..." Nayeon's eyes were restless, she looked tired being here, in front of Momo. Like she wanted to break free.

"I just-"

Momo held her breath.

"We need to break up, Momo."

Momo could swear she tried to hear the girl's explaination but she couldn't register a single word uttered by Nayeon. Everything was blurry.

 

"People change. I've changed," was the only thing she heard before Nayeon stood up to leave. And there she was, alone in their favourite 24-hour diner.

 

______________________________________________________

 

Four months. Approximately four months after she broke up with Nayeon. That night was also the last time Momo saw her. It hurt. It still hurts but she pretends that everything is alright because pretending is easier than admitting, right?

The light turns green and she crosses the street with a sea of people walking in the same direction as her. 

 

That's when she meets her eyes from across the street. The eyes she longed for these past months, the eyes she admired the most, the eyes that were overflowing with love and sincerity. Not anymore. 

 

Nayeon looks at her for a fleeting moment then turn to laugh at whatever the girl she's clinging to was talking about. The girl's left arm encircles Nayeon's slim waist firmly while her other hand is clutching a tall-sized cup of vanilla milkshake from the 24-hour diner she used to frequent.

 

Oh. Vanilla milkshake.

 

______________________________________________________

A/N: Jeongyeon's name wasn't mentioned but you know who the girl Nayeon was clinging to at the end, right? ;)