to me, love is such a painful thing

The Way to Break Up

 Even if it hurts, pretend that it's nothing

 When she spoke the dreaded words, he did not twitch. It hurt him inside, but he wasn't going to break down in front of her. It was useless, she wouldn't care, so don't bother.

 It hurt, but he was going to pretend like it was nothing because it was supposed to be nothing.

 But it ended up being something.

--

 Even if tears fall, know how to hide them

 "I'm breaking up with you," was all she had to say to start the tears form around his eyes. He was the guy, he shouldn't be the one about to cry. He lowered his head, making sure his hair would cover his face.

 Tears were already falling, making echos throughout the apartment complex. She had no idea that his emotions were pouring out so suddenly because he managed to disguise it so well.

 He wanted to disintegrate but he couldn't, not in front of her.

--

 Even if I say I miss you, I can't ever see you

 They encountered each other a few weeks later, her arm wrapped around a new man. He was doing well, he looked the same as before, but his body was lifeless.

 He wanted to say so much to her, like how he still misses her, how he can't move on, how he still longs for that loving feeling only she can give.

 But he can't.

 "Oh, Kyuhyun-sshi," she greeted. It made Kyu freeze, it's been years since she's addressed him so formally. He looked back towards the new couple and tried his best to smile.

 "Ah, Sooyoung-sshi." he replied back. "It's been a while,"

 The man with her seemed that he shouldn't be involved and excused himself to the restroom. Before Sooyoung could even utter a word, the young man confessed.

 "I still love you."

 And even if that was true, he couldn't see her ever again. Whether it's with another man, a friend, or simply herself. He knew that if he ever had an encounter like that again it would be chaos.

--

 Even if it hurts, you need to withstand it

 And back to square one.

 He survived, it's been almost a year and he hasn't gone completely insane. He's dated a few girls here and there, found an interesting hobby in Starcraft, and possibly moved on.

 He doesn't know where she's at, what she's doing, and who she's with, but it's better off like that.

 Those few times she did pop up in his mind were decent. It was only filled with the good memories they had, the good memories he'll cherish. It will probably erase, it will probably become faint, they will probably forget about each other.

 His meaningless day will probably pass by, their one of a kind love is like it never happened.

--

 And know how to smile as if nothing's wrong

 He arrived at the wedding just in time to catch the bride hyperventilating in the back. He rushed over to her, trying her best to calm her down.

 "I don't know if I can do it," she admitted, fanning herself with her hand as she continued to breathe deeply.

 "You'll do fine," he reassured. "Just sit down, chill."

 The bride followed his orders and sat down at a nearby bench, she motioned him over to sit by her as well, possibly their last pep talk before something becomes forever.

 She chuckled, she had imagined this day to come, but it ended up way different that she expected. Kyuhyun noticed her giggle and looked over at her. "I always thought you would be the one that I'd marry."

 He laughed along with her, "So did I Soo."

 The bride laid her head against his shoulder, the way it fit was so perfect, like it could be her pillow for the rest of her life. They remained in that position for multiple minutes, when she finally spoke.

 "What happened to us?"

 "You dumped me." he reminded her.

 "You're okay though, right?"

 It was a question he didn't really know the answer to. He tried to process things through his mind, did he ever have the intention to propose? He never thought of what to do after getting married, it was just supposed to happen.

 Maybe they weren't meant to be, maybe it was just the feeling of love that hurt him, not her.

 He stood up and offered his hand to let her get up as well. She gladly took it and they looked at each other, it seemed like they were in love just yesterday. He kissed her cheek, a sign that they were done for good and could only be friends at the most. He pushed her towards the door and smiled.

 "Now, go get married Mrs. Shim."

--

 This is the way to break up.