Chapter 1

A Little Something Called Love

Disclaimer: I don't own anything except for my writing.

Thanks to my beta reader, Abi (also known as crisisconfirmed) for pushing me to post this. Also, kudos to her for the title.


The first time Wang Junkai saw Wang Yuan, he didn’t know what to think.

 

He had been training to become a singer - a solo singer - until one day, one of the company agents brought a new kid to his room.

 

The kid had a bright smile on his face, and his eyes positively sparkled with delight. “Hey, I’m Wang Yuan!” He bounced on the balls of his feet. Junkai almost felt dizzy watching him - Wang Yuan’s exuberant enthusiasm and tangible happiness seemed to light up the room.

 

When Wang Yuan held out a hand to shake, Junkai only hesitated a bit before shaking it.

 

***

 

Junkai soon discovered that he and Wang Yuan were supposed to sing together - and he also discovered that Wang Yuan had a great voice, too, one that was smooth and sweet like caramel and wrapped around you until you weren’t aware of anything but it.

 

They sang together, and their voices wrapped around each other like two strands of DNA. Their songs came out sounding sweet like Wang Yuan, but also grounded like Junkai.

 

The company absolutely loved their work, and there were whispers of going more public with them.

 

When Wang Yuan smiled blindingly at him after each song, Junkai knew that they were both enjoying their work together too.

 

***

 

Their relationship wasn’t just limited to singing together, too. They hung out together, lived near each other, and soon Junkai found his entire world occupied by Wang Yuan.

 

They would talk about things, and soon found that the other could understand them better than anyone else could. Their goals, ambitions, dreams were all shared, and Junkai could clearly see their futures intertwining. Junkai’s dream for the future changed to include Wang Yuan smiling and laughing and singing with him.

 

They would go places together to have fun, and they would take weekends to go find somewhere to go - an amusement park, a new restaurant - and sometimes they just went and chilled at each other’s houses.

 

Once they went to the swimming pool, and despite Wang Yuan’s slim build, Junkai found out that he was an amazing swimmer - even more so than him himself. Wang Yuan cut through the water like a fish, and Junkai couldn’t do anything but gaze at him in awe. Wang Yuan would surface from the water, hair dripping and strands of it framing his face, and grin slyly at Junkai: “Can’t catch me, can you?”

 

And Junkai would smirk and swim after him (“Pfft. I could catch you with my hands tied behind my back.”). Wang Yuan would squeal and launch himself away from him.

 

Junkai never once caught Wang Yuan.

 

***

 

They would sit together in the park, and Wang Yuan would feed the birds and smile as he watched them flock to the food. Junkai would smile as he watched the corners of Wang Yuan’s lips quirk up, and found that just the sound of Wang Yuan’s laughter filled him with warmth.

 

Junkai once asked Wang Yuan why he liked to feed the birds so much. Wang Yuan just gave him an odd look and said, “Why wouldn’t you want to feed the birds?”

 

“I don’t know.” Junkai shrugged. “I guess I feel like it’s a waste of food.”

 

Wang Yuan laughed and shoved Junkai playfully. “Idiot! It’s not a waste if you’re making someone happy!”

 

Looking at Wang Yuan laughing, practically glowing from within, and the birds eating in the background, Junkai thought yes, it was worth it.

 

***

 

Their group dynamic changed when someone new was added to their group. Now, the three of them formed TFBOYS.

 

Yiyang Qianxi was a dancer, and could probably dance better than Wang Junkai and Wang Yuan combined. He also had a pretty nice voice- smooth and suave, like his dance moves.

 

When they first saw him, Wang Yuan wasted no time trying to make new friends. “Hey, I’m Wang Yuan!” He held out a hand, much like he had done when he had first met Junkai.

 

Junkai hung back a bit, though. He wasn’t sure what to think of this new Qianxi character.

 

***

 

Junkai didn’t think he liked Qianxi much. Something about him just seemed… off.

 

For example, what was with his smile? Junkai didn’t know, maybe he had been spoiled, but he much preferred Wang Yuan’s grins.

 

Qianxi was also much more distant than Wang Yuan had been. He didn’t join in on most of Wang Yuan’s and Junkai’s outings - which Junkai was thankful for, but Wang Yuan seemed to be hurt every time he was rejected. And that hurt Junkai.

 

Wang Yuan didn’t seem to share Junkai’s suspicions, though. He still went out of his way to be friendly to Qianxi, and invited him out almost every time he got free time.

 

Every time Wang Yuan smiled his smile at Qianxi - the one Junkai had gotten used to seeing directed at him every day - Junkai felt a clenching feeling deep in his stomach.

 

There was really something wrong with Qianxi.

 

***

 

Their song was a huge hit. “Manual of Youth” broke records in its climb to fame, and Junkai couldn’t be happier.

 

People finally knew who he was. Crowds chanted his name. Cash flowed in. His face was all over billboards.

 

And every time Junkai glanced to the side, he would see Wang Yuan’s smiling face. Crowds would also chant Wang Yuan’s name, and his face also appeared all over - on billboards, on TV, on advertisements - and he was always right next to him.

 

It made Junkai’s heart swell.

 

***

 

Their newfound fame had a downside, though. They found themselves traveling a lot more, and the pair (plus Qianxi, though Junkai subconsciously still didn’t include him in their group) separated a lot more.

 

One of the worst separations was when Wang Yuan had to go to New York. It was a whole ocean away.

 

Junkai video called Wang Yuan every chance he had, and tracked his appearances on social media in an almost stalkerish way. He couldn’t help it, though. It was Wang Yuan.

 

Qianxi confronted him about it. “Wang Junkai, you know it’s not normal for friends to obsess over other friends like this?”

 

Junkai gave him an unimpressed look.

 

Qianxi arched an eyebrow. “Seriously. You and Wang Yuan… you’re…” Qianxi bit his lip. “Let’s just say you’re really close.”

 

Junkai sighed. “He’s my best friend. What did you expect?” He sent Qianxi a glare.

 

“Junkai, I’m not competition for his affections in any way.”

 

Junkai started. “What made you think I was worried about that?”

 

This time, it was Qianxi who gave him the unimpressed look. “Seriously, anyone with half a brain could see.”

 

Junkai combed his fingers through his hair. “Listen, all I know is that I care about him. A lot.” A pause. “What do you think?”

 

***

 

Junkai realized Qianxi wasn’t actually so bad. He was actually pretty nice. And he understood how Junkai felt about Wang Yuan.

 

Qianxi gave Junkai advice that wasn’t half bad. It was reasonable, at least.

 

He couldn’t guarantee that he’d take that advice, though.

 

***

 

When Wang Yuan returned from New York, Junkai was ecstatic, although he tried to hide it beneath his normal stoic demeanor.

 

Junkai was waiting for Wang Yuan when he stepped off the airplane. “Junkai!” Wang Yuan ran over. “I’ve missed you.” He hugged Junkai.

 

Junkai froze awkwardly, unsure of what to do, before his arms slowly came up around Wang Yuan. He exhaled slowly.

 

Wang Yuan pulled back and cocked an eyebrow. “Seriously, I haven’t been gone that long. Surely you haven’t already forgotten how to act around me?”

 

“I-” Junkai swallowed harshly. “Of course not. Come on, it’s not like there’s even a specific way to act around you or something. You’re happy as long as people pay attention to you.”

 

Wang Yuan rolled his eyes. “And there’s the Xiao Kai I know and love.”

 

Junkai froze again. Love. Wang Yuan said it so easily, but Wang Yuan gave out love like it was candy on Halloween. Junkai cleared his throat. He had to force himself to say it. “I - I love you, too, Wang Yuan.”

 

Wang Yuan looked at him strangely, but seemed to accept his response. “Okay. Well, I hope you missed me while I was gone, ‘cause I did, and you better expect me to stick to your side like glue for the next couple of days.”

 

Junkai smiled, and let out a sigh of relief.

 

***

 

Qianxi kept telling Junkai to just get it over with and tell Wang Yuan. Technically, he already had, Junkai tried to point out, but Qianxi would have none of it. Qianxi always left muttering about the most dense oblivious stupid idiots I have ever met I swear to God-

 

And Junkai’s relationship with Wang Yuan returned to the way it was before. Almost. Junkai cast furtive glances at Wang Yuan when he wasn’t looking, and he sometimes felt awkward around him. Their relationship never had been awkward before.

 

***

 

Things came to a head a couple weeks after that.

 

Junkai couldn’t deny that he had been weird and distant for a while, but he hadn’t expected Wang Yuan to finally get fed up. Wang Yuan had always seemed like an endless fountain of joy.

 

Wang Yuan had invited Junkai to his house, and Junkai was opening his mouth to deny - like he did frequently, nowadays - but Wang Yuan cut him off before he could talk.

 

“Forget it. Not like you care anymore, anyway.” Wang Yuan glared at Junkai. It looked out of place on his normally smiling face. “What happened, Junkai? We used to be so close, and it seems like we’re… not, anymore. And you’re being all buddy buddy with Qianxi instead.”

 

Junkai opened his mouth, then closed it again. He didn’t know what to tell Wang Yuan. He didn’t know how to tell him about his confusing feelings, or how he needed to work through them, or how he had been looking to Qianxi for advice.

 

When he got no reply, Wang Yuan scoffed and his heel.

 

“Wait, Wang Yuan.”

 

Wang Yuan stopped.

 

“Yuan Yuan, I -” Junkai choked. The pet name had slipped out without him realizing it. “I’m sorry- I - I didn’t mean to be distant, I just - I just had to work through some feelings.”

 

Wang Yuan turned around, but his expression was still guarded. “What feelings?”

 

Junkai swallowed. “Feelings- feelings about you. I care about you, Wang Yuan. A lot. And - and I need to figure some stuff out.” His eyes met Wang Yuan’s. “But I think you already knew that.”

 

Wang Yuan looked appraisingly at Junkai, then turned around and walked off. Junkai’s heart leapt into his throat. “Hey! Where do you think you’re going?”

 

Wang Yuan cocked an eyebrow at Junkai. “I seem to remember inviting you to my house. Are you coming or not?”

 

Junkai smiled, and followed Wang Yuan.

 

***

 

It finally happened on New Years.

 

Junkai and Wang Yuan were watching the New Years’ Festival together on TV; Qianxi was taking the rare opportunity that they didn’t have to perform to visit his family, so they were alone together.

 

Junkai watched the hosts of the show plaster on their smiles and chant with the crowd:

 

3…

 

2…

 

1…

 

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

 

Junkai looked to Wang Yuan, as he often found himself doing, and found Wang Yuan doing the same. Wang Yuan’s lips parted and he laughed breathlessly. Junkai didn’t notice what was going on on the TV, how the crowd was chanting and the hosts were giving a speech - he couldn’t notice anything except for the pretty flush dusting Wang Yuan’s cheeks, and how Wang Yuan’s eyes sparkled like diamonds.

 

Later on, they wouldn’t be able to decide just who exactly had made the first move, but before Junkai knew it, they were kissing, and it was awkward and strange and probing, but it was oh so perfect.

 

***

 

Junkai couldn’t stop the grin from spreading on his face when he saw Wang Yuan the next day. Wang Yuan returned his grin with a matching brightness.

 

Qianxi looked between the two of them and snorted. “Took you morons long enough.”

 

Junkai didn’t care. He only cared about Wang Yuan, and they were happy together.

 

That was enough.