Promise

Drabbles (Seulrene edition)

Bae Joohyun, better known as Irene Bae, works in a company where she's the one formulating words to release to the public. She writes articles, for short. It doesn't mean that all she writes are news. It actually depends on whatever category falls under her chosen by their editor. And actually, she could freely do her work under her comfortable roof but she insists on going to their office everyday. Why, you say? Let's just say she's trying to hit two birds in one stone. 

"Good morning!" Her colleague, Son Seungwan (or preferably Wendy, as what she said), greeted her with her usual beam. 

"Morning." Irene replied and offered a small smile. She's never the smiley type anyway. She immediately plugged her earpods to her ear and turned her laptop on. That's a sign she did not want anymore conversation. 

As fast as she turned her music on, a text came notifying her. She read the text and sighed. She thought she's free this day but apparently, from what she just read, she might need to get ready. The text contained an address which may lead her to her target. A few minutes passed when her phone vibrated again. It was Mr. Kim. The one who pays her. This time, the text clearly shows the man's rage about her mission, questioning her expertise when she still, up to this day, hasn't caught that person who tried to sabotage her boss' car one day. It was also stated in the text that she's in trouble. Irene does not need to think very much about what trouble it is. She knows. She only agreed to do the job because fortunately for her, the people she's after to are also after her. She might as well try to cause damage to them first.

"Wendy." She tapped her colleague's shoulder. The latter looked at her.

"Can you cover up for me today? I need to go. Family emergency." Yes, she's taking advantage of her acquaintance's kindness.

"Sure. And I'll pray for you. For whatever that emergency's about." Wendy smiled understandingly. If it was Irene Bae when she first started, she'll be guilty for lying a lot of times to people. But being Irene Bae right now, she grew accustomed of what she needs to do. 

She immediately got her phone and purse before walking out of the office. Bringing a lot of unnecessary things means distraction to her work, especially that she sometimes need to be fast before the cops arrive.

Opening her car door, she felt another vibration coming from her phone. Fishing out the device, a smile immediately crept from her usually-stoic face. She got inside her car first before dialling the new texter for a call.

"30 seconds. 30 seconds before you're able to call. I thought you said you'll call me in less than 5 seconds after I text you." Irene heard the caller's small rant right after it was answered. She chuckled. 

"Sorry for that. Why are you calling anyway?" She simply replied. 

"Can't I miss my girlfriend?" The caller asked. Irene laughed. "You called me because you miss me? I just visited you earlier before coming here to work." She can't help but smile at her girlfriends childish nature. Too bad, she doesn't really know anything about the real world. The world which she's involved and in which Irene is trying to save her.

"I don't care. I miss you already."

"I miss you too, idiot." Irene contentedly sighed. She always wishes it'll always be like this. When she's just on a normal conversation with the love of her life without worrying about what's going to happen.

Irene heard a knock from the background and sighed. "Is that your nurse, Seul?" She asked. "Don't tell me you locked the door again." She continued.

"Aish. I hate being injected a lot of times! It doesn't even work!" Her girlfriend ranted again but opened the door nonetheless.

"Kang Seulgi, how many times do I need to tell you--"

"That's it's for my own good. Yes, yes, I know that. Why do I even have to stay at this stinky hospital? My dad's not here to harm me anymore. He's gone forever. Please, Hyun. Can't I really go out?" Irene hated Seulgi's tone. The sadness and loneliness are there. She also wishes Seulgi could go out. But Mr. Kang's allies are still out there, hunting for Seulgi. 

"I'm sorry, Seul. I really am." She almost wanted to cry.

"I made you sad, didn't I?" Seulgi asked. "I'm sorry for going to this topic again. I'm just... I feel really lonely and useless here. I can't even do anything." 

Irene sighed. Their situation made it hard for her to make decisions.

"I'll visit you again tomorrow and bring your favorites. How's that?" She decided to avoid the topic.

"Okay. Sorry again and for bothering you on your work. I'll hang up now. Love you." Seulgi answered. Irene only remembered she has work to do. 

"Hmm. I love you too. Take up your meds, hm?" And she hung up. She started the car's engine and got to her lead address.

 

It was a trap. She couldn't believe herself for her luck. She couldn't more believe herself that she was fooled. Her mind's been all around the place and she did not think about the possibilities at all. And now, she's behind the bar, exchanging bullets from Mr. Kang's men outside. She was already lucky enough to bring her gun with her.

" this life." She grunted. She was hit at the left side of her stomach earlier when she was caught off-guard by the sudden attack. She fished out her phone and dialled her lawyer's number.

"Irene?" The lawyer immediately answered.

"Remember the will I made? Bring it to Seulgi." She paused and adjusted her position, trying to supress more blood from oozing out. "And... take care of Seulgi for me, please?" 

"What? Irene, what are you even saying?!" The lawyer became frantic.

"Mr. Kang's men are outside. I'm cornered. I got bullet on my stomach." She explained briefly. She's not worried about covering up her situation. The lawyer's actually a very good friend of her and Seulgi.

"Irene--"

"Just please take care of Seulgi for me, Jen. Promise me." Irene fired when she saw one man from the other side making an attempt to go to her.

"I won't promise anything! You need to go home for Seulgi!" 

"Jennie, what's the chance of me getting out of here? The cops will arrive anytime soon. Either way, I'll be dead." Irene heard the glass doors breaking. They're coming in.

"You're a great friend, Jen. I know you'll keep an eye on my Seulgi." She said before hanging up. She dialled another number again while calculating every second she'll have before they could find her.

"You finally called me! I've been trying to call you since earlier but your number can't be reached. Were you on a phone with someone?" Seulgi excitedly answered.

"Yeah. But hey, I got news for you. You'll be discharged tomorrow." Irene tried to control her breathing and tone of voice.

"Yay! You'll be here tomorrow right? We can celebrate by going on a date!" Seulgi exclaimed. Irene chuckled.

"I'm not sure. But promise me something. Promise me that you'll take care of yourself always and that you'll always remember that I love you." 

"What are you even saying right now? You're being weird, Hyun." Seulgi, as clueless as she is, chuckled.

"Just promise me, hm?"

"Okay fine. I promise. Promise me that you'll always remember that I love you too." Seulgi demanded. Irene smiled.

"I'll remember that. I gotta go. Boss' calling me. Remember our promise, okay?" Irene suppressed a grunt. "I love you, idiot." 

"I love you too. Remember our date tomorrow!" 

Irene's sure she can't be there at the said date and so, she pressed the red button and stood up, firing whoever's inside. But bullets after bullets, she realized she's slowly losing her strength and sight. She looked down and saw her right side bleeding. She almost wanted to laugh. She's hit both side of her stomach.

Giving up due to lack of energy, she lets go of her gun.