07: Hiondus - Demon District

The Runaway Prince

“Are you sure you don’t want to stay? It’s almost nightfall,” Sana said as she leaned against the doorframe as Mark and Somin descended down the steps.

“We have to get to my dad quickly. We don’t know how much time he has left,” Somin replied.

Sana sighed. “Alright. But be careful, both of you. The Hiondus forest is scarier at night time.”

“We’ll be fine.” Somin smiled. “I used to be the top hunter remember? And Mark here is actually stronger than he seems. He survived antao poison.”

Mark chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck. “Only because we managed to get to Wooyoung in time.”

Wooyoung hummed softly as he walked up behind Sana. “It’s true. You two got there just in time for me and Hyuna to save him. Any longer, he would’ve been dead.” He straightened out the blazer he was wearing and looked over at his apprentice. “I’ll be going with them to the border wall. The guards might not let them through without clearance so late.” He walked down the steps. “If you don’t mind, Sana, send the demon queen a message. They’re going to need clearance out into Lindres as well.”

Wooyoung threw his arms around Mark and Somin’s shoulders and grinned. “Let’s go. Can’t have you two being late.”

They wove through the Nyskat forest in silence. Mark could hear the crickets already chirping, a sign that night was approaching fast. “Be careful when you get into the Hiondus forest you two,” Wooyoung said as he peered back at them.

“I’m aware of that already,” said Somin as she pat the dagger at her hip. “Plus, my powers are back.” She flicked her thumb up and a small fire burned above her thumb.

“It’s not you I’m worried about, Somin.” Wooyoung fixed his gaze on Mark. “Forests like that one don’t exist where he’s from. You’ll have to look out for him.”

“But why?” Mark asked. “It’s just a forest, isn’t it?”

“It’s much more than just a forest,” Somin replied. There was a serious tone in her voice that made Mark feel nervous. A knot started to form in his stomach as they neared the border wall. Wooyoung’s silence only made Mark more nervous. What could be so different between the Nyskat forest to the Hiondus forest and why was the Hiondus forest ‘scary,’ Mark wondered.

Out of nowhere, an arrow flew passed right in front of Mark’s face, impaling itself into the tree next to him. His eyes widened as he looked where the arrow came from. ‘,’ he thought recognizing the blue and white symbol of the royal guard on the two people rapidly approaching. As if on instinct, Mark grabbed Somin’s hand and ran for the border wall.

“Y-Yah,” she shouted as she ran behind him.

“Quickly!” Mark ducked his head as another arrow was shot at him.

“You have people after you?!” Somin yelled.

“It’s a long story!”

Wooyoung’s hand glowed a bright blue as a shield blocked the arrows and the guards from getting through. The two warlock guards at the border wall’s center gate held up their spears and ran next to Wooyoung. Mark and Somin stopped at the gate as it slowly creaked open.

“Go!” Wooyoung shouted. Somin didn’t waste any time and ran through the gate not waiting for it to open fully. Mark, however, hesitated. “Mark, go!”

“But—”

“We’ll be fine. But, Mark, word of advice before you go.” Wooyoung peered back at the prince. “You have to tell Somin who you are.”

Mark’s eyes widened. “Why?”

“The royal guard won’t stop until they have you. If she dies because of them…”

Mark pressed his lips together knowing Wooyoung was right and bolted through the gate before it closed on him. He huffed out a relieved breath as it shut closed and looked at Somin. Her arms were crossed across her chest as she glared at him.

“You have people after you? Why didn’t you tell me?!” She pushed him hard in the shoulder making him stumble back a bit.

“Sorry… I… didn’t think they would catch up to me…”

“What did you do anyway? You a criminal? You owe someone money?”

Mark shook his head. “No...I ran away from home… My dad probably sent them.”

Somin rolled her eyes. “Whatever. If there’s anything else you’re hiding from me, tell me. I don’t need liars in my life. I’ve had enough of them already.”

“I—” Mark’s words stopped abruptly when he finally peered into the forest behind Somin. The forest was eerily quiet, there were no sounds of animals or insects almost as if there was no signs of life within the trees. Unlike any of the other trees Mark had seen in his lifetime, these were completely black; the trunk, branches, roots, and leaves were all a pitched black color. There was even a dark aura about the forest that made Mark feel uncomfortable.

“Creepy, isn’t it?” Somin said. “Each tree is said to hold its own demonic aura. Because of that, most wanderers who get lost in the woods have gone crazy. People even say they eat people.”

Mark flinched. “Eat… people?”

“I don’t believe it though, but who knows? The wanderers who go mad in the forest don’t usually come out and their bodies are never recovered. Not even a bone.”

Mark gulped. The knot in his stomach twisted tighter. He didn’t think Thyslao was such a scary place. It almost made him want to go back to Trinsa island, back in the safety of the castle walls. Almost.

“Anyway, we can fight later. We have to get through the forest before night comes.”

“Why? What happens at nighttime?”

Somin shrugged. “Who knows? But I’m not about to find out.” She started for the forest edge. “Don’t forget that Aogrei lives here. Wouldn’t want to run into him at night.”

Mark shuddered and hurried to catch up to Somin. He stuck close to her side as they walked through the forest. There was a strange, eerie, and empty feeling about the forest, but Mark couldn’t shake the feeling that the demonic energy seeping from the trees felt a little off. He looked up through the treetops to see the sky already dark. He let out a stuttered breath out of fear and tugged on Somin’s sleeve.

“Should we hurry? It’s getting dark.”

Somin looked up to see a couple stars already twinkling in the darkened sky. The night was already upon them and they were nowhere near the border wall to get into Lindres in time. She didn’t want to stop and waste time so close to her father’s execution but she also didn’t want to travel the Hiondus forest at night either. “We might have to find a place to sleep at in the Demon district,” she replied. “I hope they don’t—”

She stopped talking and paused in her steps as a tall, dark figure appeared in front of them. Mark gulped as he stared up into the figure’s piercing gold eyes. They flashed red for a split second making Mark flinch. The figure’s dark hair fell around his eyes contrasting his pale grey skin tone. He wore a black cloak covering his entire body save for his hands. A dark aura radiated off of him that struck fear in Mark reminding him of the first time he saw the phae.

“Aogrei,” Somin muttered, her hand held close to the hilt of her dagger in caution.

“Somin.” His voice was deep and came out almost sounding like a hiss; resembling that of the hissing of the phae. Mark shook his head trying to rid of his fear. Aogrei’s eyes focused on the shoulder Mark got scratched on as if he could see beneath the material of the shirt and the bandage he was wearing. “So the antao poison didn’t make a difference then. Pity.”

Mark flinched and covered his shoulder with his hand like it would prevent Aogrei from seeing it.

“You know, it’s dangerous for you to travel this forest so late. Perhaps I could assist you.”

“No need for that, Aogrei. I’ll take it from here,” a voice said.

Aogrei looked up and rolled his eyes as a young, brown-haired man with dark red eyes emerged from the trees. “I was just going to kindly show these two to the border wall. No harm here, Youngjae.”

“The queen wishes to see them before they go,” the one named Youngjae said. Mark silently celebrated to himself that another person had come to get them. He didn’t know how much longer he could have handled being in Aogrei’s presence.

“Send the queen my regards then.” Aogrei turned but before he walked away he said, “Sorry to hear about your dad. Hope you get to him in time before he dies. That is… if you survive.”

Mark bit his bottom lip as Aogrei disappeared into the shadows. He wasn’t sure if Aogrei was talking to him or Somin but either way, it felt directed to him. This sent a chill up Mark’s spine.

Somin and Mark followed Youngjae into the demon district heading straight for the castle. Mark looked around and frowned at the alarmingly scarce amount of demons about. “Um, why are there so little demons around?” he asked.

Youngjae sighed. “We’re dying. Many demons have already left to see if they could seek refuge in Crestha; if not, they will go to Terok. Laomi is a bit difficult for demons so they won’t try there.”

“Dying how?” asked Somin.

“Didn’t you feel it in the forest? The trees are trying to the life out of us.”

“What? Why?”

The vampire shrugged. “No one knows. All we know is it started after the king visited Hiondus a while back.”

“What?” Mark’s eyes widened. He wasn’t aware his dad had left to come to Hiondus ever. His dad barely left Trinsa island to go to Thyslao at all, unless it was to have a meeting with the Hunter’s leader which he hasn’t had since he had gotten sick.

Youngjae peered up at the castle as the ascended the steps. “Not long after he visited, he became ill. Some demons think it’s karma. By some, I mean all. He’s not the demon folks favorite person in the world. They all just want to see him dead.”

Mark looked down at his feet. His father visited Hiondus, did something on his visit, and now the demons are dying because their own forest is trying to eat them and he got sick after his trip. Were they be connected in some way, Mark wondered.

As they entered the castle and made their ways to the throne room, Mark felt a sort of calm rush over him. His worries were behind him now and he felt relaxed. They walked in and the feeling of serenity washed over completely. It was a strange feeling. Mark had always thought of demons having an intense demonic feel but here in the queen’s throne room, it was different. A good different. The prince didn’t like the feeling he had in the forest and it was nice to feel calm for the first time since he stepped foot on Thyslao.

They approached the queen who sat upon her throne with two guards at her sides. There was also another man standing next to her, whispering something to her. She nodded and he stood up straight just as Mark, Somin, and Youngjae stood in front of the queen.

Youngjae bowed his head. “Queen Sunmi, here are the two you requested, Mark and Somin.”

“Thank you, Youngjae. You are dismissed.” He bowed his head and left the throne room. Sunmi smiled at Mark and Somin. “Welcome! I’ve heard a great deal about the both of you. I’m also aware that you two need a place to stay.” She snapped her fingers and the two guards next to her stood at attention. “Take Somin to the room I had prepared for them. I wish to speak to Mark alone.”

Somin glanced at Mark who shrugged. She quickly bowed her head to the queen before leaving with the guards. Sunmi watched as Somin disappeared out of the door and focused her bright gold eyes on Mark.

“Well, Prince Mark, you’ve had quite the adventure, haven’t you?”