Chapter 2 - The Beginning

Destiny
Once Mina exits the airport gate, she didn't need to look twice as she was able to effortlessly spot where her family is waiting.
 
Her brother holding up a huge sign welcoming Mina. 
 
"Welcome Home! Congratulation Myoui Mina!"
 
Mina's family are waiting to pick her up at the airport and she's overjoyed to see their faces. 
 
Mina received a long hug from her mother, proud smile from his father, and stupid grin from her brother.
 
Mina traces the increased wrinkles on her mother face, glances at her father hair, there are much more white from what she can remember.
 
Mina was chocked with emotion. She nearly forgot that her family is waiting for her to come home. It was foolish of her to even consider ending her own life. How can she be so self-centred?
 
Her family is regarded as a family with below average income, and they are struggling to feed themselves on a daily basis. Her parent didn't have a good education thus their occupation doesn't pay well. Seldom during her childhood, Mina just ate rice with water and some sugar or salt because that is all they had.
 
Mina decided to follow her parent wish, continuing her study to be able to support them better - hoping for a better profession after all this.
 
Mina feels that it is her responsibility as the older child to help her parent. She also wanted her brother to have a better support to further his study.
 
Her brother took the luggage from Mina and they made their way to their family car. It's a small car, could fit exactly the number of their family member - four.
 
The paint looks considerably old. Creaking noises produced once you open up the door. A nostalgic memory surfaced in as Mina remembered that this is the car that her father used to sent and get Mina to and from school every day.
 
She patted and gazes at the car for a moment before entering it.
 
Mina knew that her family is no way a rich family and she had never felt ashamed of their situation. She's content with happiness that they have, enough with her small family being together.
 
The journey home was full of laughter as her brother making jokes and they catch up with each other days being apart. 
 
*****
 
Mina is required to report her study completion to her scholarship sponsor, which in this case the Japanese government.
 
She didn't wait long and reported after she stayed for two days in her home. Getting a job sooner is preferable to her. She made her way to the said place, going through her busy hometown. 
 
It has been so long since Mina walked around she can't help taking her time touring. Some notable changes have been done in Mina absence, including numbers of new buildings are currently under construction.
 
Mina arrived at the government office and goes straight to report herself. As soon as she finished, the office gave her an envelope containing the detail of the job assigned to her.
 
She did remember something like that in the contract that she had agreed with. She's required to work in the position assigned to her for five years and after that, she'll be free to quit and find another job.
 
It restricts her freedom to obtain the job she likes, but, Mina believes it's good for her since she's pretty much guaranteed to land a job.
 
Mina didn't wait long as she immediately reveals the letter inside the envelope. The first word that her eyes caught was...
 
"Korea".
 
"What? Korea? Do I need to work there?". Although, it is not her main concern now as the next word she had seen is... 
 
"Position: Lecturer".
 
Mina feels like she just lost her soul. "Did I just read that? I can't even speak properly or loudly, and this? teaching people??" Mina in denial. 
 
People with an extroverted personality might find Mina's thought funny. But it has been Mina personality to avoid this kind of job as hard as she can.
 
Her previous job was a programmer and it requires only minimal contact with her colleagues. Most of the communication was done through email or chatroom - which Mina always preferred. 
 
Her whole personality doesn't match the job description. She has stage fright and she found it extremely difficult to speak in front of large crowd.
 
Speaking to a stranger would need Mina to encourage herself first mentally, hesitating a bit, it takes time. When someone called her, most of the time she will ignore the call and pretended to be busy or asleep. 
 
It's odd, but, such are the traits that Mina have and the reason she called herself an introvert. Mina can't even begin to imagine what kind of embarrassing situation would happen if she became a lecturer.
 
*****
 
Luckily, the office is not far from her house. But she did return home late because she dozes off a lot - thinking of the shocking new job she just assigned to.
 
Making her way into their small house,  she noticed her family members are not home yet. Both her parents are still working despite their old age to get by, and her brother didn't come back from his school yet. 
 
Mina throws her handbag on her bed, and lazily lied down. She recalled the conversation between her and the office clerk. 
 
*****
 
// FLASHBACK //
 
"Excuse me, Miss, Is this job has been fixed? Can I choose a different job?". She asked reluctantly with an awkward smile.
 
The on-duty clerk face is stone cold scary - a typical resting face with glasses, and it takes Mina her all to even ask a question.
 
The clerk then simply replied in a somewhat robotic voice, "Yes, and you can't change it anymore. Didn't you read the contract given to you? Please be on your way".
 
Just like that Mina hope in changing her job shattered. Mina wanted to ask another question but quickly vanishes the thought because of the clerk deathly stare.
 
// END FLASHBACK //
 
*****
 
Mina can deny all she wants but she can't avoid this. If she refused, all the scholarship that she received need to be paid off, and it is a hell lot of cash.
 
She had no choice in this matter.
 
"I need to get a job eventually". Mina put the problem at the back of her head for now.
 
She changed her outfit and made her way to the kitchen. Mina wanted to prepare some dinner for her family. She wears the apron with a penguin character that she liked and decided to cook a simple dish while she waits for the others to come home.
 
*****
 
"I got a job as a lecturer at a local university in Korea.". Mina announced the news to her family.
 
They look very much elated. Even though Mina needs to travel again, her parents were delighted nonetheless. They are happy because Mina's effort finally comes to fruition, they are proud of Mina's achievement.
 
The smile beaming from them made Mina erases her thought of telling them she's not comfortable with the given profession. 
 
Mina only had one week left to spent her time with her family. It's indeed short considering how long she had been away from home in such a long time.
 
She was always far from home, and it truly saddens Mina. Her mother decided to take a whole week of leave to spend time with Mina, and she's touched by her mother act.
 
*****
 
A week went by quickly, and now Mina was already in front of the airport aircraft door, leaving her family again. She promised herself to come back home every time she's on a break in the future. 
 
Mina stepped inside the aircraft with a heavy heart. She wanted to spend her time longer with her family but couldn't do so.
 
It doesn't take the aircraft long to lands on Incheon Airport in Korea. It has been the most uncomfortable flight Mina had been into. The child that sat behind her could not stop crying, kicking the back of her seat. 
 
The mother doesn't even try to comfort her child, she's busy with her phone. Mina was infuriated and almost most bursts out of anger, but holds is as she wanted to avoid trouble.
 
"Myoui Mina". A sign is held by a woman with blonde hair. 
 
Her presence emits a chic aura, seems unapproachable. A short hair suited her looks, adorned with fitted black leather jacket with ripped jeans.
 
It looks like she kept searching for someone in the crowd of people exiting the gate.
 
Mina walks towards the woman and raises her hand slowly. With her small voice with a little bow, "It's my name, Myoui Mina".
 
"Oh, you are finally here." The woman smile as she holds out her hand to welcome Mina.
 
She got a beautiful smile that Mina can't help but stares a bit. After the awkward stares, Mina fidgets as shakes the woman hands, with her two hands.
 
"The name is Jeongyeon. Please to meet you. I'm a senior lecturer in the same university as yours". Jeongyeon introduces herself. 
 
"I will be your guide and your temporary instructor in a meantime. Let's go. We have to report to the office soon." She continues as she helped Mina carry her luggage.
 
Mina nodded and followed Jeongyeon through the crowds of people exiting the airport building.
 
They arrived in front of an expansive looking car. Jeongyeon loads all of Mina's stuff in and opened the front door inviting Mina to sit. 
 
Mina feels self-conscious and awkward as she had never ridden a car that looks as luxurious as this. She wondered whether the pays for lecturer profession could really afford this sort of luxury.
 
*****
 
Jeongyeon explains some of the job scopes of a lecturer and Mina took out her note to jolt it down. Jeongyeon couldn't help but notice.
 
"Hey, there is no need for that, I have the detailed document in my office. I will give it to you later. No worries". She smiles widely. 
 
Even though most of the time Mina is awkward with a stranger, the ride was really comfortable. Normally, Mina would avoid making conversation with any taxi drivers, by wearing a headphone enjoying whatever musics she had. 
 
Mina first impression towards Jeongyeon quickly vanishes as she found out that Jeongyeon is an easygoing person.
 
They introduce themselves to each other and Mina found out that Jeongyeon is actually is a PhD holder in her young age of 24. She's older than Mina only by two years. They comfortably converse and Mina doesn't even notice that they had already arrived in front of the university office after an hour of ride. 
 
"I'm sorry I can't guide you to the university office right now. I need to attend to something." Jeongyeon looks apologetic.
 
"It's okay. Thank you for giving me a ride. I'll find out about it by myself" Mina assured Jeongyeon.
 
Mina feels a bit of relief because she had someone reliable as Jeongyeon as her instructor. Jeongyeon promised that she will be there in two hours to show Mina her apartment allotted by the university.
 
Mina greets the office front desk and asked the lady there. She seems friendly.
 
"A new lecturer should report to the university director. His office is on the top floor", the receptionist explained kindly.
 
Mina made her way to the lifts that are available and pushed the button on the highest floor it can reach.
 
Once the lifts open, like in slow motion, Mina saw a small girl with short hair.
 
She's wearing a casual wear, dark coloured sweater with skinny jeans and long black boots. Her bag is strapped on her right hand as she supports it.
 
The most noticeable trait that Mina could see is the mole on the left side of her underlips. Mina's eyes were glued to that girl for a moment, she's taken quite a surprise by her enchanting looks - or maybe she was fancied by the girl crush looks. 
 
Mina awkwardly tries to greet by nodding and smiling but seems like the girl is not looking at her.
 
The girl exits the lift and bumped into Mina's shoulder. 
 
"Ouch!", Mina falls down.
 
She's surprised by it but quickly regained her footing and stares at the girl who bumped into her.
 
The girl doesn't seem to care at all, she didn't even look at Mina and continued walking towards the building exits without any care in the world.
 
"What a rude behaviour!". Mina feels humiliated by that.
 
She's not used to this kind of people and she stays away from any kind of trouble. It's difficult to deal with, so it is better to make some distance.
 
As she collects herself, Mina missed the lift and the feeling of annoyance grow inside her.
 
*****
 
Mina knocks the Director door and she's welcomed with a nasal sounding voice. She anticipates some kind of deep-voiced man as the director but its different from her expectation.
 
The name of the director is Professor Park Jinyoung. Professor Park received Mina with a wide smile. He had a unique smile - his eyes smiled together almost closed.
 
"Welcome to our Seoul University, Miss Myoui Mina. I've been expecting you", He greeted Mina and told the brunette to sit on the chair in front of his desk.
 
"I've already read your details and I'm quite surprised by your achievement. Being a lecturer at such a young age must be stressful for you." Professor Park said. Some of the students Mina will be teaching will be in the same age as her.
 
"We have another two lecturers around your age and I'm sure you already knew Dr Jeongyeon as I've assigned her to be your instructor for a while as you adjust to your new profession". He proceeds.
 
Professor Park then further explain the responsibility of lecturers in detail, some had mentioned by Jeongyeon. Mina being herself, took out her notes and write down everything Professor Park mentioned.
 
The conversation took quite some time, and Mina's hand felt numb from writing a lot since the director just won't stop talking. Luckily for Mina, Professor Park received a call from her secretary to reminding him of a meeting that he will be having shortly.
 
Mina is dismissed and passed to the lady at the front desk. The lady shows Mina her office which is on the second floor of the building.
 
Mina enters her new office and it looks beautiful - with overall modern design adorned with mostly red expensive-looking furniture. The size is quite extensive. 
 
She takes off her heels and rests her long coat and on the provided garment hook. 
 
The red carpet felt really nice under her feet. Seems like she can even sleep on the carpeted floor comfortably. The equipment and furniture provided are complete. Mina feels a bit excited as she hopped around her office.
 
*****
 
Jeongyeon is in front of a patient room in a hospital. On her hand, she held a flowers bouquet. The bouquet she brought consists of various types of flowers - a get well soon bouquet.
 
Seems like she's hesitant to enter the room. She's slowly opened up the door and she's greeted with a piercing glare from an old woman on the patient bedside.
 
"What are you doing here?!". The woman asked aloud, almost yelling.
 
Jeongyeon just bows her head down as she muttered, "I'm sorry. I will be going soon."
 
Jeongyeon slowly made her way to the bedside opposite to where the woman was sitting. The old women turned to the other parts of the room, away from Jeongyeon, seems disgusted. 
 
Jeongyeon studies at the face of the patient, her eyes show deep sadness. The patient is amazingly beautiful.
 
Jeongyeon wanted to hold her hand but refrained from doing so because she knew she will be lashed out by the woman on the opposite. She carefully placed the bouquet her brought on the desk close to the bed. 
 
The blonde felt constricted. It hurts her so much seeing the love of her life in this condition.
 
A ventilator is used to supports her breathing, Needles and wires were placed on several parts of her body, several machines are operating to support this patient life. It has been eight months since she's been in a coma.
 
Never failed to visit daily, Jeongyeon could not help but cried every time she came. She held her tears, biting her lower lip, almost bleeding, she bows down to the woman, exited the room and walks into the closest bathroom she could find.
 
Jeongyeon enters the bathroom stall and sat down on the toilet seat. She cried in desperation.
 
She misses her smile, laughs, touch, she misses everything about her.
 
"Momo... Please wake up..." Jeongyeon weakly mumbled, asking, praying.
 
*****
 
Disclaimer:
 
I don't know what University name I would use for this story. So, I just simply go with Seoul University name. Anything that I described in this story definitely doesn't reflect Seoul University. I just made it all up as I write this story. =)
 
A/N:
 
The word counts for this chapter is a bit longer than the others. I would say, the counts will be random, no specific range.
 
MiChaeng has started and JeongMo tag has appeared. How will their destiny unfold? Wait for the next update which I don't know when will it be. =D
 
Please do leave comments about your thought! I want to know about it! Thank you so much for reading!!~~