Even If It's Only For A Moment

Book IV: Hold Me

Sungjae marched out of his room while putting on his jacket. He headed to the front door.

"What the-? Where are you going?" asked Eunkwang.

"I'm going to her." Sungjae firmly replied, leaving his hyungs dumbfounded.

I don't care anymore, Sooyoung-ah...
Tonight, I promise myself to walk to you...

------

Across RV's dorm, Sungjae was parked with the engine still humming. He gripped tightly on the steering wheel and heaved a sigh. I didn't think this through. Eottoke? Get a grip, pabo!

Just then he saw a familiar figure walking towards the building. Forgetting his anxiety, Sungjae got off the car and briskly walked to the dorm. When he reached the lobby, she was nowhere to be seen. He turned to the elevator amd saw her, just as it was closing. On reflex, he grabbed the elevator door to stop it from closing.

"Sungjae?" Joy said with a startle, nearly dropping her bag. No words were said by him. In one swift move, Sungjae took Joy's shoulder and pulled her in his embrace. With eyes closed, he held onto her tightly as if it were his last. Joy stiffened, still trying to grasp what was happening.

It wasn't long before she came to her senses and pushed Sungjae away. "What are you doing here, Sungjae?" she asked, her voice shaking. He reached out for her. "Sooyoung-ah, jebal.."

Joy took a step back. "You're not supposed to be here. Please..." She saw how his lips parted in confusion and sadness. It hurt her like hell, but she reminded herself. His happiness is what matters. Freedom will give him that, Sooyoung. He's just confused.

"You've gotten thin, baby."

"Sungjae, stop."

"Your eyes. My aegi hasn't been sleeping."

"Jebal..." she choked out as she dropped herself to the floor of the confined space. Sungjae saw how her shoulders shook with her sobs.

"No, please don't cry, baby." He reached for her shoulders and stood her up to envelope her in his hug.

Unexpectedly, he felt her two flimsy arms wrapping around his back. And just like that, everything came flooding back to him. All the beautiful memories he had with her.

They reached Joy's floor as quick as those memories rushed in. He took her hand and led her outside the elevator to the quiet corridor. They stopped in front of the door to their dorm. Joy held her head down, silently crying. Sungjae looked up, closed his eyes real tight, and sighed. He pushed her chin up with one hand so that their eyes met.

"Will you look into my eyes, baby? Even if it’s only for a moment," he pleaded.

Her swollen eyes looked straight at his, listening, waiting for what he had to say.

"I missed you. So bad. I'll go, as you wish. Saranghae..." He grazed his lips on her forehead and turned around to leave.