I'll take care of you

Lost Soul

“Daniel, are you really sure about this?” Jisung looked intently at Daniel, almost begging the latter to take back his words, and not bothered by the fact that they were talking about me infront of me.

 

I could understand the neighbor’s concern. Daniel suddenly bringing home a stranger who did not even know her own identity was not the wisest and safest decision ever.

 

I didn’t know I am. I woke up in a secluded area by the shore before I found my way to Daniel’s vineyard. I was starving. I was picking as many grapes as I could when he called my attention. He did not scold me for stealing his produce. Instead, he eagerly let me eat and even helped me pick the ripe ones. He was more bizarre than my current situation. He was smiling and laughing easily as if we knew each other. And when he found out about my amnesia, he did not hesitate to assist me to the small townʼs police station. The news that Danielʼs looking after some amnesia girl spread easily, prompting his neighbor-friend Jisung to meddle as soon as we return from the station.   

 

“Hyung, please don’t be insensitive. Let’s talk about this when it’s just the two of us. You’re making my guest uncomfortable.” Daniel begged, throwing me a short apologetic look before looking back at Jisung.

 

Jisung frowned. “I can’t believe you moved on from adopting cats only to bring humans instead.” Knowing that the discussion has ended or at least has been pushed back, Daniel smiled at me and urged me to continue eating.

 

Jisung left soon after, throwing Daniel a sharp look before closing the front door.

 

“I’m sorry about that. Normally, Jisung-hyung is really kind and caring.”

 

“Is this really okay, Daniel?” I asked, avoiding his eyes. “You don’t know me… I-I don’t even know me… I’ve only stayed here for few hours and I’m already causing you trouble. Maybe I should go somewhere else.”

 

“Where will you go then? You heard the police, they can help you find your family but they can’t let you stay there.  And we already told them that I’ll be your temporary guardian. They will contact me if they get to find information about you. So, don’t worry. You can stay here as long as needed. You are not causing any trouble. As for Jisung-hyung, I know for sure he’ll understand soon.” I did not respond, contemplating whether this is really a good idea. Yes, I have no where to go and it was scaring me. I was lucky enough to be found by a good-hearted person and not some weirdo. I have no doubt about his character. Everyone in town probably knew him judging by everyone's smiles and greetings towards him when we were on our way to the station. Well, even the police officers knew him. However, the idea of being a burden to someone really bothered me.