Chapter Two

Love Notes from a Ditz

Hoseok giggles giddily under his breath as his eyes take in the poetry section at the local bookstore. If he’s gonna do it this way, he’s gonna do it right. He wants to make sure he conveys just how much he adores the older boy, but most definitely doesn’t want to come across as creepy… So, with that in mind, he’s decided to stop by the bookstore on his way home to get some much-needed research material.

He’s already done some preliminary looking-up on his phone, so all that’s left to do is find some of the great love poems of all time. Luckily, it isn’t too hard to do as Valentine’s Day is coming up, and all the kids will soon be flocking to the stores for all kinds of seasonal goodies for that someone special.

After easily finding said books, Hoseok strides up to the cashier to be rung up. He gets some suspicious looks, but the older woman doesn’t say anything as she bags up the items and asks for appropriate payment. Hoseok isn’t even entirely too sure why he got so much as looks, in the first place, but no matter. Nothing’s gonna squash his good mood today.

 

When he gets home, his eomma is already there. She’s sitting on the couch, her bare feet propped up on coffee table as she stares tiredly at the television. She seems close to dozing off when Hoseok comes in, but that visage immediately melts away at seeing her precious son waltz in through the front door of their tiny apartment.

“Ttoki!” she cries out, opening her arms wide for a hug. Hoseok can’t get out of his shoes fast enough to scramble over to the couch and into his mother’s arms. She wraps her arms tightly around him, backpack and all, and showers him in loud kisses. He squeals in protest, but they get drowned out by his own joyous laughter at the affection.

He’s such a momma’s boy.

“How was your day, Eomma?” he asks sweetly, moving to be cradled in her arms. Even though he’s in middle school, he’ll never get tired of his mother’s hold. It’s like home to him.

“Aiiiiish,” she begins, releasing an annoyed breath, “I swear, you’d think people lose their minds when they come to order coffee! But, that’s no matter. The café is doing great for a new business, and I have my adorable bunny with me now, so all’s well. How was school today?” Hoseok absolutely beams at hearing he’s made the woman’s day better.

“I finally came up with a way to confess to my crush, Wonnie helped me!” Hoseok reports proudly, puffing up his chest. His mother ‘ooo’s excitedly, clapping her hands together.

“That makes me so happy,” she says honestly, her own wide smile mirroring her son’s. “When’ll you bring her over? I’d like to meet this girl as soon as possible to make sure she’s right for you.” Hoseok giggles at this, the image of his muscly Hyunwoo in pigtails coming to mind.

“Not her, Eomma,” Hoseok says, swinging his bag around to find the poetry books he’d just purchased. “It’s Hyunwoo-hyung! You know, the swim captain?” He finds what he’s looking for and hands them over to his mother before going on, his tone positively ecstatic. “I’m gonna write him a love note! That way, he’ll be warmed up to the idea before I tell him it’s me!” He’s so excited to tell her all about this genius notion that he doesn’t notice the way she deflates ever so slightly in worry.

“Hoseok-ah,” she interjects, her voice soft. “I’m happy and so, so proud that you feel comfortable enough to admit to another boy how you feel, but I want you to be careful. Other people may not like that. This other boy may not even like it. Even if it ends up badly, I’m so proud that you have the courage to make a move for this.”

Hoseok’s brow furrows, not entirely sure what she means. Why would other people not like it if he likes Hyunwoo? Of course, Hyunwoo may not like him back, but he’s already decided to confess despite that… He recognizes the anxiety in his mother’s eyes but doesn’t understand why this news would bring about such an emotion.

“Is there… something wrong with me liking another boy, Eomma?” Hoseok can’t help but ask, genuinely concerned. “Does that mean there’s something wrong with me because I like another boy?”

“No, baby, no,” she immediately answers, pulling her dear son into a protective embrace. “Nothing’s wrong with you! If anyone tries to tell you there is, then you tell me and I’ll set them right. Okay?” Hoseok nods, hugging his mother back despite his utter befuddlement due to the direction of the conversation. He feels like he should be reassured, but he doesn’t even know just what he needs to be reassured of! He promises he’ll tell his mother if anyone gives him trouble about his crush, knowing it’ll set her mind at ease, and pulls away to give her an impossibly wide smile.

He knows she likes seeing his smile, knows just how much of a calming effect it has on her.

“Now,” she says, her voice much more chipper than before, “what is it you want for dinner, Ttoki? We have some seaweed soup leftover from a couple days ago, or we could order something?” She’s standing and walking away before he can answer, leaving him to stare after her in blatant confusion.

Little does he know just how much he’ll learn what she was speaking of throughout his life…

 

Hoseok stares doe-eyed at the swimming pool, a vacant smile pulling at his lips as he watches the swim team train rigorously for the upcoming tournament. They’ve got a couple weeks to prepare, and Hoseok just knows that, with Hyunwoo’s guidance, they’ll make it to first place without any trouble.

Ah, his perfect Hyunwoo~ Hoseok feels himself blush as he stares intently at the boy’s broad back as he cuts through the water. It’s such a breathtaking sight. He’s sure the boy could end up getting scholarships to any university of his choice, as he’s not only a first-rate athlete but also the smartest person in all that world. Ah, Hoseok has such good taste…

He figures he should give him the note just after the tournament, after they win, so Hyunwoo will be in the best mood possible. That way, if the older somehow does like him back, he may even get a kiss in return!!! Oh god, his first kiss!!! With Hyunwoo??? It’d be a dream come true!!!!

This cute, tan, plump lips pressed against Hoseok’s, tasting of love and perfection and—

Hoseok jumps, his phone’s sudden buzzing shaking him from his day dream.

Hyung, stop stalking your boi + come help me in the gym the text from Minhyuk reads, causing Hoseok to yelp in protest despite him knowing the younger couldn’t hear him.

How did u know????? he texts back, scrambling to get his things together. He’d opened some books to make it seem like he was doing homework, but really he’d been too mystified by the utter perfection that is Son Hyunwoo: swim team captain to be able to focus on any sort of academia. He’s in such a rush to get out of there as fast as possible to go help his friend that he doesn’t notice Hyunwoo getting out of the pool and spotting his small form.

Hyunwoo starts his way, his heart falling at watching his classmate practically trip over himself to get the hell outta dodge. He tries to not let it get to him, as he’d very much wanted to talk to the boy about what he’d overheard the other day in class, but he can’t help but be disappointed at his missed opportunity… Maybe next time.