The Vow

The Vow

The gray angry clouds hovered across the skies, indicating of the upcoming rain. Jungkook tightened his jacket as he fasten his footsteps hoping that Mother Nature would took pity on him so as not to let the rain pour down before he could arrived to his destination. Luckily enough, Jungkook made his way towards the small building a few blocks from his place and opened the doors. There sat his fellow tattoo artists, either busy sketching on their notebooks or scrolling lazily through their phones. Jungkook took his place on the farthest corner of the room as he placed his bag on his chair. Yoongi, a fellow artist, put a mug of coffee on his table. Jungkook nodded in thanks before sipping the warm drink, letting it sooth his cold throat down to his stomach. 

 

  "Harsh day?" Yoongi asked, as he started scribbling some lines across his notepad. The older man was not just a tattoo artist, Jungkook learned from him since they've been friends through college. Jungkook just started his tattoo business two years back. Min Yoongi also liked to write lyrics whenever inspiration hit him. Jungkook could point to him as a lyrical genius but the older just brushed it off with snarky comments, not meaning to offend the younger but Jungkook knew it already. 

 

"Yeah. Weather's being a lately and you know how I hated it when it rains," Jungkook sighed, completely exhausted although it's still early in the morning. Yoongi nodded absentmindedly, mind probably too engrossed in writing another unfinished melody. 

  Jungkook knew enough not to disturb the older anymore so he proceeded with his own work. Sketchpad opened, pens in various colors sprawled out neatly on his desk. He should start making that design one  client kept bugging him about but the concept was just too complex for him.  He's a tattoo artist, meant to draw lines across people's body, not some philosopher or psychologist who wanted to decipher the complexity of how human mind works. Because what the client wanted from him was a design that can 'make people feel emotions when they see it' . 

  Jungkook glanced at the wall clock above their door. 11:35 . It's close to noontime yet no customers were coming. Not that Jungkook expected to have one since who would want to stain their bodies with inks? He knew from the very start that having this kind of business was difficult but he wanted this. This was his passion. And he would rather die than live without passion. 

    Before the clock struck 12 high noon, the door opened. Jungkook raised his head from his current drawing when he was met with two brown innocent eyes. Jungkook looked up again, studying the man in front of him. Yoongi cleared his throat to disrupt Jungkook and remind him that a customer was standing in front of him. Jungkook snapped out from his daze when he motioned the possible client to sit across his table. Jungkook belatedly realized the too bright hair color of the man. Orange. Before Jungkook could ask what the client want, the orange-head gave him a folded paper. He quirked an eyebrow as a question but the man coaxed him to open the paper. 

  Resting on the innocent sheet was a detailed picture of a bird. Jungkook didn't know anything about the different kinds of birds existing but the drawing was so explicitly drawn and shaded and Jungkook scanned the feathers with his finger. Tracing the lines and shades lightly. Then he looked up at the man again who was looking back at him, eyes so innocent yet full of mirth. 

   "You want me to use this for your tattoo?" Jungkook asked quietly. He didn't know why he's talking silently but he felt the need to when he waited for the man's answer. 

    "Yeah." The man finally spoke up and Jungkook didn't miss how deep the orange-head's voice was. 

  Jungkook looked away first from the man's heavy gaze, too dizzy to think for his decision. He glaced at the drawing again before opening his mouth. 

   "I'm sorry but I think this too much? Don't get me wrong. This design is too good. And maybe that's the problem because I found this too delicate. I don't know. But I'm really sorry. I couldn't do this." Jungkook spoke as though all the air was drawn out from his lungs. He's startled with his decision because first of all, 5.he didn't turn down any designs from his customers. He could draw anything, simple or complex. It didn't matter to him. But this, the design on the paper he's holding, felt like there's more to it than just a random sketch. He felt the paper suddenly became too heavy so he handed it back to the owner. 

    But the man shook his head. Jungkook was ready to be shouted for his incompetence but the man just smiled at him warmly. Jungkook was taken aback at the customer's reaction. 

"It's okay. I understand," the man stood up to leave but before he did so he looked at Jungkook again, "but if you change your mind, please let me know." And then he left. 

    Jungkook was left too shock to process what happened. He slumped back to his chair, hand still clutching the paper. He glanced at it again before folding it and tuck it under his table. 

 

  It was a week after when Jungkook found the paper again. He willed himself not to look at it again but every time he held the design, he felt weird. Like he was meant to inked it into the man's body. Jungkook folded it again when he noticed a small note at the bottom of the paper. It was a number. There's nothing else written but Jungkook concluded maybe it was the man's number. 

   "Come on, Jungkook. It's so not you to turn down any offers. And I tell you the design was neat," Yoongi said one day when they both decided to eat lunch outside. Jungkook sighed before munching his burger. Again for the hundredth time that day, he kept on thinking about the delicate design and it's weird owner. 

 

Jungkook didn't bother to explain to Yoongi why he did so. And the older just nodded, understanding how the younger man was thinking. They've been together for too long that they could communicate even without using words. And they both admitted speaking exhaust them the most. 

  Another week passed and still Jungkook was looking at the design again but now his finger was tracing the numbers written neatly on the corner. He contemplated whether to call the man or not. He wanted to make this tattoo but he wanted to ask something first from the man. So he punched in the numbers, dialing it hopefully it was indeed the man's number. There was a ring from the other line. Another ring. Three. Four. 

  "Hello?" and there it was, the deep voice Jungkook heard two weeks ago. Now that Jungkook confirmed it was the man's number, he didn't know what to do. It took him minutes before he answered back. 

   "Uh..yeah. This is Jungkook. I mean, the tattoo artist whom you gave your design to?" Jungkook wondered why he felt too nervous all of a sudden. 

    There was a pause from the other line and then ,"Oh yeah! Thank you for calling, Jungkook-ssi. I, uh, wait a minute, okay? " The man's voice was still low but it felt light in Jungkook's ears. But then he heard a crash from the other end and the line went dead. 

   "Uh, hello?" Jungkook looked at his blank phone. 

   A message popped up. It was from the man. 

    

Sorry the line was cut. I'm happy you called. Maybe we can talk about this more through lunch? And my name's Kim Taehyung, by the way. :) 

 

Jungkook read the message again and again. Lunch. This was the first time  a client was asking him to lunch just to discuss about tattoos. Before he could type back, another message prompted. 

 

Don't worry. My treat. 

 

Jungkook agreed and a week later, on a cold Saturday noon, he found himself inside a fancy restaurant with his client, Taehyung, across him. Looking through the menus silently. Jungkook shifted uncomfortably on his chair and Taehyung looked up. 

  "You okay?," the other asked. Jungkook could not lie how he hated restaurants like this. Too fancy and extravagant for a simple guy like him. He's uncomfortable in rich places   because they reminded him of where he came from. These reminded him of things he was not born to. They're poor. Jungkook grew up working too much just so he could help his family feed themselves enough to last a day. And now here he was, sitting in this high end restaurant, feeling too out of place. He knew he was being childish but he opened his mouth to answer. 

"I'm sorry. I'm not too comfortable in places like this," he admitted shyly. He looked down on his hands which were starting to sweat. 

  "Oh thank goodness!" Taehyung exclaimed. Jungkook snapped his gaze towards the man across him. Startled again for the second time they met at the man's reaction. "I'm really not comfortable in places like this either." He chuckled lightly. Jungkook smiled tentatively then Taehyung whispered across him. "Wanna run to McDonald's?" Jungkook saw a glint in Taehyung's eyes and the idea was so tempting so Jungkook nodded happily. And not so long they were running towards the nearest fast food restaurant in town. 

  The lunch turned out to be light and fun. Jungkook learned a lot about the other man. He was two years older than Jungkook and he too was fond of art like the younger. He came from a rich family but the way Jungkook see it, Taehyung was pretty humble and he seemed not to care too much about money like any other rich people do. Taehyung dreamed of becoming a great painter that's why he studied painting. But not before graduating in business first. 

  "Strange. Why did you study business first before arts when you could've just study painting and arts instead?" Jungkook asked. Taehyung just smiled at him, telling him to save the story for another time. And Jungkook didn't push any further. He's been enjoying the older's company given the fact that it's their first time hanging out. Taehyung was open and outgoing so maybe Jungkook warmed up to him almost easily. They had a few talk about the design before parting ways and Jungkook realized he's been smiling the whole time that day. And he didn't mind. 

" You're in good mood," Yoongi was the one to point it out. Of course it has to be Yoongi. Jungkook just shrugged and continued sketching a new design for another client. Yoongi rolled his eyes before sitting on the chair by Jungkook's table. He placed his lanky arms on the desk, cheeks resting in between his palms before scrutinizing the younger. 

   "Hyung, stop it. You're creepy." Jungkook said without looking up from his pad. Yoongi hummed before blurting. "It's because of that orange-head right?"

  Jungkook stopped his work to look back at Yoongi who was now smirking at him, as if telling him that he's been caught already. So Jungkook just sighed and suddenly Taehyung's boxy smile appeared when he closed his eyes. He bit his bottom lip to stop himself from grinning. "I..yeah. We've been hanging out a lot lately."

  "Yeah, I could see that. Well good for you kid. Just remember not to dive in too much," Jungkook snorted. Yoongi and his sappy words. 

Jungkook unfolded the design again, the bird lying magnificently on the white sheet. He traced it again. Before it felt heavy on his hands but these past few days he was hanging out with Taehyung a lot and maybe it's because of Taehyung's light personality that the paper on his hands now felt light and Jungkook itched to start inking it into Taehyung. 

    The thought of looking at Taehyung's skin sent a warm blush on Jungkook's cheeks. He knew he came to like the other's company and sure enough Taehyung felt the same. But neither of them confirmed where they stand. Were they friends? Or were they just on an artist-client relationship? Sure enough the former seemed more appropriate but Jungkook was not sure if Taehyung sees him as his friend. But Jungkook hoped it was the case. 

 

  Two months passed and Taehyung frequented by Jungkook's shop. Bringing him anything, from sketch designs to food to even Jungkook's favorite mixtapes. And within these two months, "like" slipped into something more but Jungkook's afraid to name it. Sometimes he wanted to ask the older what they really were but he bit his tongue. He wanted Taehyung to tell it himself. He didn't want to ruin what they already had just because of his confused feelings. 

     One afternoon when they agreed to meet by the nearby café, Taehyung invited him to his small exhibit. Jungkook was skeptical at first because he knew that people who would attend the exhibit were no less than rich but the older insisted for him to go otherwise Taehyung would not see him for a week. 

  Jungkook laughed at his silliness but the way Taehyung's lips pressed up in thin line, Jungkook sighed and finally gave in. "But I can't promise you or anything. I said I'll just try."

  "Oh it's more than okay, Jungkookie," Taehyung hugged Jungkook's arm tightly. Jungkook wiggled out of the older's grasp, ducking his head so as to brush away the faint red settling on his cheeks. He really like Taehyung and he didn't know for how long he could keep his feelings to himself. 

 

  "Just confess to him already," Yoongi once told him. "And if you're worried because he's too damn rich, then think twice. Because from what I know, Taehyung's a pretty good guy. Too humble for his own sake. And I would bet our friendship that he liked you back."

  Jungkook pinched his nosebridge. Thinking too hard. Maybe Yoongi's right. Taehyung's not that kind of guy who looked at people through their bank accounts. Hell, if Jungkook was left to decide, he could bet that Taehyung's one of the most innocent and selfless person he met. 

 

Jungkook arrived at a rather tall building just kilometers away from his apartment. Taehyung texted him the address and he glanced up to confirm the place. He stepped inside the building when Taehyung caught him just in time. "I'm so glad you made it," Taehyung hugged him and the warm breath as Taehyung talked sent Jungkook shivers down his spine. The older looked so grand in his burgundy suit, orange hair styled neatly. Jungkook felt too self-conscious all of a sudden. 

As if Taehyung could hear his thought, "You looked nice. Wish I could wear my sweaters too," the older mumbled. All of Jungkook's insecurities lifted in seconds as he chuckled lightly. Both of them entering a large room, Jungkook presumed this was where the exhibit took place. When they stepped inside the room, a lot of people approached Taehyung. Jungkook looked at them, feeling out of place. They were wearing suits and gowns, probably more interested in parading their wealth than caring for the exhibit. If it was not because of Taehyung's tight grip of Jungkook's hand, the younger would definitely bolt out from the room not too long ago. By the time they were given enough time to walk around, Jungkook chuckled lightly again.

"Okay, you would look ridiculous when you wear those neon sweaters you have."

"I don't care. They're comfortable and this suit is suffocating," Taehyung said, pouting as he loosen the knot of his tie. Jungkook thinks Taehyung's cute and hot all the same with the suit and pout he has right now. The tattoo artist instinctively grasp Taehyung's wrist lightly without realizing and to Jungkook's surprise he stuttered. "I-I need to tell you something."

  Taehyung's eyes lit up in curiousity. Slowly he intertwined their fingers, lightly tracing circles on Jungkook's hand. "Yes? What is it, Jungkook?"

  Jungkook looked up to him, eyes turning dark. Jungkook breathed in. His feelings were eating him up. Butterflies flying wildly inside his stomach, asking to be freed. His heart was with no help. Beating harshly against his ribcage. 

"I, uh..No. Not here. There's too many people here," Jungkook breath out. Taehyung smiled softly before he led Jungkook outside, on the balcony where no one could disturb them. The city lights were amazing. The atmosphere was not too cold against Jungkook's cheeks. But he couldn't care less of that for now. 

    Jungkook looked at Taehyung again, face glowing so beautifully under the moonlight. Slowly, Jungkook lifted his hand up to caressed Taehyung's cheek. Taehyung melted under the touch. It was silence first and Jungkook just wanted to stay like that for a moment when Taehyung broke the silence first. 

"Jungkook, what do you want to say?" His voice was deeper than usual, so velvety and warm. Jungkook basked in Taehyung's beauty, words hanging on the tip of his tongue. 

  "I like you, Taehyung." He confessed under the moon, outside the exhibit's balcony. It was not as romantic as he wanted it to be but Jungkook has to say it before his feelings kill him. Taehyung stayed quiet for a while. Jungkook felt fear creeping when realization dawn on him. That maybe Taehyung didn't sway that way. That maybe Jungkook was just thinking ahead of himself. That maybe he was just a fool. 

"I-I'm sorry. Forget what I said. I, uh, . I should go," Jungkook muttered, panic bubbling inside him. When he turned to his heels, Taehyung grasp his hands. Jungkook looked back to see Taehyung. 

   "How rude of you. Walking out like that without giving me a chance to talk. You're really something, Jeon Jungkook."

   "I'm sorry. Just forget about it." Jungkook said as he looked at Taehyung who was now tapping his chin as if thinking about something and then he heard the older sigh. This is it. Jungkook kept thinking of possible worse scenario in which Taehyung would reject him. Mock him. Laugh at him. 

    "Hmm? You think I would forget that easily?" Taehyung looked at him playfully. Jungkook was far from being composed now. All confidence left him like a gelatin. 

 

"I just, I just want to know what you're thinking," Jungkook looked at his leather Converse High. 

  Taehyung approached him silently. Hand slowly lifting his chin up to meet the older's gaze. Then his warm smile painted across his face and Jungkook has never seen so beautiful in his life. 

   "God, what took you so long?" And they didn't know who leaned in first but their lips came crashing down. Slowly, innocently, their lips molded perfectly. Moving in great synchronization as they calm the wild beating of their hearts. 

    "I like you, Taehyung."

     "Hmm. I like you more."

 

A lot has changed after that night. Taehyung decided to move in with Jungkook when their relationship reached the fifth month and Jungkook happily welcomed him. Both of them can't kept their hands off from each other. Practically attached by the hips. Whenever Jungkook's working, Taehyung would visit him and bring him and his co-artists food. Sometimes he would massage Jungkook's shoulder after hours of inking on a client. Other times, Jungkook would feed Taehyung whenever the older refused to eat because he's still not finished with his painting. And then it's Jungkook's turn to massage and cheer up Taehyung when he felt so upset on the outcome of his arts. 

   It was in times like this when Jungkook felt too happy, too blessed that in his monochromatic life, a colorful person like Taehyung came into the picture, introducing Jungkook to the wonders of color beyond black ink and white sheets. 

   

   And Jungkook welcomed the change whole heartedly the way Taehyung accepted him with all of his heart. He told Taehyung about how he struggled in life. Taehyung held him whenever he sobbed because he missed his family so much who disowned him when they found out about his gender. And in those little yet special moments, Jungkook felt whole and warm. And he knew he found home. In Taehyung's arms. 

 

   Although a lot of things change, some things stayed the same. Like Jungkook's love for his mixtapes. Or Taehyung's obsession on anime and cartoons. Or their love for Big Bang. Taehyung then realized that no money could compare to the kind of happiness Jungkook brought to him. Whenever he had the chance, he told Jungkook about his family and how he was brought up with the kind of life he has. He knew he should be grateful and he was knowing his life was nothing compare to Jungkook's struggles. So Taehyung basked himself with the love and silently thanking every gods because Jungkook met him. And more importantly he met Jungkook. 

 

Their life as a couple could be deemed perfect. Small fights here and there but ended up apologizing and forgiving and more cuddling because that's what they always do. 

 

Five months turned six then Christmas came and New Year passed. And now here they were inside the same café after a year since they met, celebrating their first year anniversary. It was nothing fancy because Taehyung knew how the younger hated doing extravagant things especially  involving money. So they sat down, warm coffees in hand. Taehyung talked animatedly with the latest episode of the anime he's been watching and Jungkook listened to him. It was already dark when both of them decided to go home. Jungkook felt giddy and excited because he wanted to give Taehyung the only thing he knew he could give during this most precious time of their lives. 

 

  When they entered their apartment, Jungkook asked Taehyung to sit on their bed as he searched for that box he's been keeping this whole time. Taehyung looked up when Jungkook handed him the box, eying it. 

   "You're not proposing to me, are you?" Taehyung asked, lips curving upward as he untie the ribbon. And there inside was the folded paper Taehyung had given Jungkook one year ago. The beautiful bird rested, shade and details still present. Taehyung gasped and looked at Jungkook, his heart beating wildly. "Y-you kept this?" He could only whisper as he took the paper out of the box. It was his first ever design. And one year ago, when Jungkook turned down his request, he never cared too much. But then Jungkook held out his hands. Slowly tracing circle inside Taehyung's palm as he sat beside the older. 

  "I should have done it long ago. I just couldn't find the right time to do it. And this looked so special. You are so special to me, Tae." Jungkook whispered as he placed his hand on Taehyung's cheek. Taehyung smiled, hugging the younger before talking. 

 

    "Thank you so much, Jungkookie. And you're more than special to me. You're my everything."

  Jungkook sighed and wrapped his arms tightly around Taehyung's waist, face burrying inside the older's neck. 

 

Two hours passed and the outline of the tattoo was almost done. Taehyung decided to place the design just above his hipbone and it took Jungkook all of his restraints not to look at Taehyung's golden skin underneath him but instead focus on his work. 

 

  Taehyung smiled as he traced the outline. It's far from done yet but it was so beautiful. The way Jungkook took care of him was so gentle and loving. Jungkook gazed at him, silently tracing the tattoo along with Taehyung's hand. 

   "They're beautiful, Jungkook." Taehyung whispered. Jungkook held the orange-head's hand where he kissed every knuckles. Breathing in the scent, a mixture of strawberry and paint. And Jungkook loved it. Jungkook loved Taehyung. 

   "I love you." The tattooist blurted out. He searched in Taehyung's eyes, looking for some confirmation. Taehyung mimicked Jungkook's action, placing light feather kisses along Jungkook's exposed shoulder. Until he kissed Jungkook's right cheek. "I love you too." He whispered. 

 

   Jungkook fluttered his eyes open. The faint light seeped through inside their room. Jungkook looked at Taehyung who was still sleeping soundly on his arm. Taehyung's skin was glowing. His lashes shining as they fluttered lightly. Jungkook smiled, silently adoring the delicate feature of his lover. His eyes traveled from Taehyung's bright orange hair down to his forehead then to his long nose. Jungkook's eyes rested on Taehyung's lips. Those lips to which he kissed deeply with gentle and care and Jungkook thought he couldn't get enough of it. It's frightening. This deep feelings he already has for the older man. And his heart swelled just by thinking of Taehyung staying with him like this for the rest of his life. Jungkook's hand traced lightly the outline he had made on Taehyung's hipbone. Gingerly tracing his fingers along the expanse of the older's skin. They rested on the few red marks blossoming on Taehyung's stomach, the evidence of the sweet night they had. Where they poured out all of their feelings into actions, whispering promises and vows as the other moaned his lover's name like a prayer. It was their first time and no words could describe how perfect it was for both of them. 

   "That tickles you know," Taehyung muttered, eyes still closing but his lips started lifting up into a small smile. Jungkook leaned in and peck on Taehyung's lips before wiggling himself out of the older's grasp. But Taehyung liked to cling too much on the younger especially when they  both were too tired due to their romantic activity last night. Not that Jungkook minded a little cuddling time but the clock screamed how both of them were already late. 

  "Tae, we should probably go now," Jungkook tucked a hair behind Taehyung's ear as his other hand played on Taehyung's nose. Tracing his nosebridge up and down. The older smiled before opening his eyes. He looked so beautiful like this, so vulnerable and peaceful. And Jungkook couldn't get enough.

   "Can't we just stay like this for a while?" Taehyung pouted. Jungkook chuckled lightly and shook his head after kissing Taehyung's pouting lips again.

  "No we can't. Yoongi-hyung was calling me an hour ago. Said a new client wanted a tattoo," Jungkook explained. Taehyung sighed as he detach himself from the younger, arm resting on his eyes. 

   "Okay but promise me you won't be late for our dinner," Taehyung mumbled. Jungkook smiled at the older. He knew Taehyung's being a baby right now. Jungkook leaned in to kiss Taehyung's temple before striding to their bathroom. "Of course, baby."

 

   Taehyung made his way into the grocery isle, scanning through different brands of spaghetti sauce. It was Jungkook's birthday and even though the younger insisted that Taehyung should not make a fuss about it, the older wanted this day to be more special to Jungkook. Taehyung wanted the tattooist to know how much he cared for him and how much he loved him. 

  After checking out his groceries, Taehyung decided to stop by the jewelry store his friend owned. He knew what to get for Jungkook and the thought made Taehyung excited and happy. 

   A few minutes of driving, Taehyung parked outside a small yet elegant place named The Kim's Jewels. His friend Kim Seokjin owned the place since his family was known for the business for generations. A petite girl greeted Taehyung and was guided into the store. A few moments and a broad shouldered man hugged Taehyung in greetings. 

   "Oh my, Taehyung. It's been a while hasn't it? What brought you here?" Seokjin exclaimed as they made their way to Seokjin's table. 

    "Yeah, it has. Hyung, I need your help," Taehyung smiled back. He noticed Seokjin didn't change much except of the hair color he has now. Blond strands delicately styled. It made him looked younger than his age. 

  "Of course. Anything for you, Tae."

 

After Taehyung told the older man about Jungkook, Seokjin smiled warmly. 

"Well, it's about time. And I know the perfect thing for him."

 

  So now, as Taehyung bid goodbye to his old friend, his hand gripped the small box inside his coat pocket. His heart felt light and contented as he turned his car to life. 

 

  A sudden call made Taehyung snapped out of his daydream while driving. He glanced at the caller ID and turned rigid for a moment. His father was calling him. It's been three years since they last spoke and their farewell was not too good. Taehyung decided to answer the call, slowly sliding his finger to unlock his phone. 

   "Hello?" Taehyung's voice was hoarse. The other line was silent for a moment and Taehyung waited until his father's familiar voice rung into his ear. 

    "Taehyung, how are you?"

   "I'm fine dad," Taehyung's answer was clipped. How strange. His father's once cold voice sounded so vulnerable at the moment. Taehyung momentarily forgot how to focused on his driving when his father said, "Please come home, son."

     Taehyung gripped the steering wheel too tightly as memories came rushing back on the surface. The painful words his father threw at him. Telling him how useless of a son he was. Choosing a career far from what his family do. That arts and paintings were just a waste of time and effort. He knew his father never supported him when he decided to study arts again. But they had a deal back then. That if Taehyung could just graduate from business school, he would pursue his passion. And Taehyung never regretted anything. 

 

   "I'm sorry dad. I can't," he answered silently.  His father hummed, telling him he understood and that his parents would be expecting him to visit. 

   Taehyung's head was so full at that point, his mind swirling. He missed his family too especially his mom but the thought of being trapped again inside their huge house made Taehyung's temple throbbed painfully. He reached for the small box where a simple silver ring was rested. Inside the ring, both Taehyung's and Jungkook's name were engraved in delicate design. Taehyung looked at the ring on his hand, smiling when he was reminded of Jungkook's smile and bunny teeth. He can't go back now. He already has Jungkook and his life was perfect now. 

When he placed the ring into the box again, Taehyung did not see the incoming garbage truck which crashed against his car too haphazardly. 

    There was a small crowd gathering around the crash but Taehyung couldn't make out what they're saying. All he felt was everything was too painful. He was thrown outside, along side the road and his head was bleeding. His vision starting to blurr but all his mind could think was the ring. He painfully reached out, towards his coat where he cluthed the box into his hand. A tear slipped down from his eye as he closed them, hoping that he could survive this and then everything turned black. 

 

   The call came in past five. Jungkook's blood ran cold as he listened to the news about Taehyung's accident. Yoongi insisted to drive the younger to the hospital. 

   As they pulled up, Jungkook bolted out. Running breathlessly to ask about where Taehyung was. 

   "Kim Taehyung! His name is Kim Taehyung! Where is he?!" Jungkook shouted at the nurse by the information desk. Yoongi came behind him, telling him to calm down. 

    "Don't worry, sir. He was being tended to at the moment. He was having a surgery right now," the nurse said apologetically. 

   Jungkook felt the world turned around him and he grasped Yoongi's arm for support as the older guided him to sit. 

 

   It's been two hours already since the start of the surgery. Jungkook was walking back and forth. Fear creeping inside his heart. Yoongi left to get them something to eat and Jungkook was alone with his thoughts. 

   "Tae, don't do this to me. You have to get through this. Please baby," Jungkook muttered under his breath. 

   Just then an old man and a small woman came. They looked like Taehyung and Jungkook assumed maybe they were his parents. The woman sat beside him, smiling warmly as if sensing Jungkook's rapid beating of his heart. 

    "You're Jungkook, right?" the woman spoke softly. Taehyung has his mother's eyes, too warm and kind. Jungkook nodded as the woman patted his shoulder. 

 

     An hour after, the doctor came out. Jungkook and Taehyung's parents jolted. The doctor asked for his parents to go with him to his office. Jungkook insisted to go along but Yoongi stopped him. 

    "Hyung! This is about Taehyung," Jungkook protested, eyes starting to swell. 

   "I know but his parents are here now. We should just wait for them and ask them about Taehyung's condition," Yoongi explained gently. Jungkook conceded and slumped heavily unto the plastic chair. Too drained to think about anything other than Taehyung. 

 

   Three days after the surgery, Taehyung was already stable but was still unconscious. He was moved to a private room right after his surgery. Jungkook didn't visit him within those days, afraid to look at Taehyung lying helplessly without conscious. By the fourth day, Yoongi told the younger that Taehyung has woken up. 

 

   The white walls of the hospital felt closing up as Jungkook made his way towards Taehyung's room. Jungkook kept telling himself to calm down, that Taehyung was already alright and everything would be back to normal and they would be happy again. Jungkook reached the room, he stopped by the front door when Taehyung's too familiar laugh resonated throughout the room into the door. Jungkook's heart sped up and he slowly turned the knob. 

    The lighting was enough for Jungkook to noticed the bandage around Taehyung's head. The blue bruise blossoming like a flower on Taehyung's right cheek. But despite that Taehyung still looked so beautiful. Even under those ridiculous hospital gown. 

   Jungkook slowly walked towards where Taehyung was sitting on his hospital bed. Taehyung's parents standing behind Jungkook silently, clinging to each other. Taehyung's eyes were innocent and large. They reminded Jungkook of the first time they met. Jungkook smiled and Taehyung smiled back. But then, "Who are you?"

   

  Three words. Three simple words which felt like a knife twisting into Jungkook's heart. Jungkook opened his mouth but his tongue felt heavy. This is not happening, he told himself. Taehyung was just kidding. He loved pulling pranks on Jungkook. 

  "T-Tae, what are you talking about?" Jungkook laughed but his laugh was empty. And his heart was breaking.

 

Taehyung looked at him blankly, clearly confused at the strange man in front of him. Does he know him? 

 

Before Jungkook could broke out in sobs, Taehyung's father clasp his shoulder lightly, guiding him outside of Taehyung's room. 

 

"I-I don't understand, " Jungkook sobbed. What happened? 

   "I'm sorry son. Taehyung was suffering from mild amnesia," Taehyung's father said quietly. Jungkook looked up, eyes glistening with tears. Amnesia. Taehyung forgot him. It can't be. 

    "Please Jungkook, I need to ask you for a favor ."

 

   One year passed by. But each day felt like hell when Jungkook decided to let Taehyung go. Back in the hospital, Taehyung's father asked him to let Taehyung rest and get treated. Despite the protests banging in his head, Jungkook hearybrokenly agreed. 

   And now, a year passed by in a blurr but Jungkook kept on thinking about Taehyung and his bright smile. He missed the painter so much it hurts every time he envision Taehyung waiting for him to come home, jumper smeared in bright paints. 

   Jungkook willed to drown himself in work, hoping to find distractions until night fell and he felt lonely again. Only Taehyung's paintings accompanying him in the middle of the cold night. 

 

  Taehyung woke up to another one of his weird dreams. The man who kept popping out of his dreams seemed like he wanted to tell Taehyung something. But just like any other dream, Taehyung woke up before the man could speak. 

   The warm water from the shower soothed Taehyung's nerves. He closed his eyes, imagining the man. He felt familiar, his dark hair, his eyes, even his teeth. They all seemed familiar yet Taehyung couldn't figure out why. He couldn't remember anything, meeting the man. 

   The steam from the bath fogged the wide mirrors of Taehyung's bathroom. He dried himself up, slowly examining his reflection. This past year, Taehyung felt something was wrong. Like something was missing. As he scanned himself, his eyes rested on his right hipbone where an outline was drawn just above it. Taehyung traced the tattoo lightly. He never imagined getting himself one though but then again a lot of things were forgotten. He knew about his amnesia and they traveled back in Daegu for his healing process. 

    Taehyung padded his way unto their living room, his mom called him to have breakfast. Taehyung sat silently, mind still thinking about his dreams. Maybe they're not just dreams. What if the man was the only one who could answer his questions? 

  "Honey, are you okay?" Taehyung's mom asked him. He smiled back telling them he's alright. 

 

     "Mom, Dad, what if..what if I'll go back to Seoul? Maybe it can help me remember some things," Taehyung said, looking from his mom and then to his dad. His mom eyed him worriedly before looking at his father. 

    "Well, are you sure you're already okay?" his dad asked. Taehyung concluded that something was really off. First, why was his father not angry at him? Maybe he was just guilty because of the accident? He remembered clearly how they both fought before Taehyung decided to go on his way to Seoul. But Taehyung may have forgot how they reconciled so he shrugged it off. 

   "Yeah. I think it would help me," he answered. 

 

The familiar aroma of coffee wafted through the air. Jungkook closed his eyes, imagining the time when Taehyung and him decided to celebrate their first anniversary at the café. When Taehyung's dad talked to Jungkook, the old man gave him a box. He said Taehyung must have brought it for Jungkook's birthday. Later that night, he opened the box which revealed the silver ring in which both of their names were engraved. Along with it was a small note. 

  No matter what happens, I will always find you. I love you so much. 

  Jungkook cried for the hundredth time that night, clutching the box and note close to his heart. 

 

   Now, the memory was still painful to bear but it kept Jungkook moved on. Maybe they were just not meant to be. That Taehyung was just another person that was meant to come and go. Jungkook tried his best to accept it but one year could not guarantee that the heart could truly moved on. That it could truly forget the sweetest memories they had built. 

  

  Jungkook sighed, sipping his now cold coffee. He has been thinking of new designs but no inspirations hit him. 

Just then the café bell clang, the door opened. Jungkook's eyes snapped to the customer who was currently ordering. That voice. He knew that too well. But it couldn't be, right? Taehyung was in Daegu. And he was in Seoul. 

 

   "Taehyung!" a shorter guy approached Taehyung. His best friend Jimin traveled from Busan when he found out about Taehyung going back to Seoul. 

   "Hey Jimin! It's so good to see you," Taehyung smiled as the barista handed him his order. 

     "Not bad yourself. I'm so glad you called. I was so worried about you!" Jimin exclaimed as they made their way on the table. Taehyung chuckled and patted his friend's back. 

         

    Jungkook felt the world stood still. It was indeed Taehyung. The same Taehyung he fell in love with. The same Taehyung who whispered to him sweet promises. But the Taehyung sitting across Jungkook was also not the same Taehyung he knew in the past. Gone was the orange hair and the ridiculous neon sweaters. The Taehyung sitting across him has brown locks, the black turtleneck which was too expensive hugging him in the right places. Taehyung was laughing heartily with another man. The shorter guy didn't look familiar. When they were still together, Taehyung never mentioned about his friends. Maybe the guy was Taehyung's new lover. The thought sent a pang of jealousy to Jungkook. He sighed heavily, gathered his things and started walking out of the café. 

 

  Taehyung thought he saw someone walking out of the door. He took a quick glance of the man when something familiar hit him. The man has the same dark hair with the one of his dream. The same leather jacket and boots. Maybe it was just a coincidence but Taehyung had to be sure. He excused himself and started running towards the man. 

 

  "E-excuse me," Jungkook froze on his place. Taehyung ran after him. He turned back, looking at Taehyung who was panting. When Taehyung's breath evened out, he raked his hand through his hair before opening his mouth. "I'm sorry but can I ask you a question?" 

   

Jungkook didn't know what to do, much less what to say. He cleared his throat. "Sure."

 

  "Have we met before?" Taehyung looked at Jungkook. Jungkook felt a lump along his throat so he forced to swallow it back. Taehyung's here. Just an arm away. He raised his hand. His fingers itching to caress Taehyung's cheeks. But he held it back. 

   After blurting out the question, Taehyung felt too silly all of a sudden. The stranger looked utterly confused so Taehyung bowed his head, "Oh my god! I'm so sorry. It didn't mean anything. I just thought I saw you before. I'm sorry," Taehyung squeezed his eyes shut, his cheeks blushing a deep shade of red. 

 

Jungkook cleared his throat again, his hand awkwardly scratching the back of his neck. "Uh, n-no. It's alright," Jungkook answered quietly. A wave of relief washed out Taehyung and Jungkook's chest tightened when he saw Taehyung smiled at him. The same smile which swept Jungkook by his feet. "I'm really sorry. That was embarrassing of me. Oh by the way, my name's Kim Taehyung."

Jungkook looked at Taehyung again who was stretching a hand towards him. Taehyung tilted his head, waiting for the other return his shake. "Well? May I know your name?"

     "J-Jungkook. Jeon Jungkook," Jungkook held out his hand. Taehyung's hand felt all too familiar. His warmth made Jungkook took his hand back quickly. Taehyung apologized once more before going back inside the café. 

   "Great. Nice to meet you Jungkook-ssi. See you around."

 

  "Okay, can you please explain to me why you did that?" Yoongi asked the young tattooist when Jungkook told him about his little encounter with Taehyung a week ago. 

    "I don't know. I,uh..I don't know what to say to him," Jungkook said quietly, chest tightening again as he remembered how Taehyung smiled at him. He missed him so bad he wanted to hug Taehyung. But he couldn't. 

   "You're full of nonsense, Jungkook. You don't know what to say? Why don't you try telling him the truth? Maybe that's the reason why Taehyung decided to come back ," the older said as-a-matter-of-factly. 

     Jungkook sighed before giving up his pending sketch. He couldn't do this. His mind was full of Taehyung these past few days. Just when he thought he could finally move on, then came Taehyung back into his life. 

 

  Taehyung was so sure he met the guy before. Jungkook. It felt too right when he say the name out loud. The way the man looked at him,he felt bare. Like the man was looking through his soul. Taehyung lifted his shirt up, tracing the unfinished tattoo above his hipbone. 

  "I wondered who made this." 

    

  Taehyung decided to go to a tattoo parlor where he could let someone finish his bird tattoo. When he stepped inside a small building, two guys approached him smiling like they knew Taehyung. 

   "Excuse me? Who's the owner of the parlor?" Taehyung asked. The two guys were startled but they told Taehyung where to go. 

 

  

   Jungkook looked up from his notepad when Yoongi cleared his throat. 

    "Oh! Jungkook-ssi! You're the owner of this parlor?" Taehyung's eyes formed crescent when he smiled at Jungkook. The younger loosen his grip of the pen so it fell from his hand. He heard Yoongi snorted before leaving them behind. 

     "Uh, T-Taehyung-ssi. What are you doing here?" Jungkook stammered. His heart beating a hundred miles per second. 

    "Oh yeah! I mean, it's a long story really but to make it short, I found an unfinished tattoo just above my hipbone and I want it to be finished. Can you help me?" Taehyung's eyes looked so innocent, pleading silently to Jungkook. Jungkook cleared his throat. 

   "Uh, I-I'm sorry. I'm pretty busy right now, you see," Jungkook looked away when Taehyung began pouting. 

    Yoongi entered the room, a mug of coffee in hand. "Hey kid. Don't worry about the work here. I'll cover it up for you. Why don't you take Taehyung-ssi out for lunch? It's past noon already."

 

  Taehyung beamed as he looked at Jungkook expectantly. Jungkook groaned inwardly, silently cursing for having Yoongi as his friend. 

 

Both of them made their towards the nearest McDonald's. This was all too familiar, Jungkook thought. But Taehyung didn't seem to remember because he chatted animatedly by the counter, ordering their food. 

 

  "I'm sorry to drag you out here. You're probably really busy," Taehyung said. Jungkook shook his head, "No. It's okay."

 

   Taehyung hummed, smiling. He met Jungkook a week ago but it felt like he had known the guy for a long time. 

   Taehyung being Taehyung, he kept on rambling about his favorite cartoons, telling Jungkook about how funny and good the animes he has been watching. Jungkook just listened, he missed listening to Taehyung's voice. 

      "But what's weird, Jungkook-ssi. I really thought I saw you before. And these weird dreams I had about a bird tattoo and black haired man that looked exactly like you!" Taehyung exclaimed when they walked down their way home. Jungkook tightened his jacket, the all so familiar butterflies threatening to fly out from his chest. He missed Taehyung. He still liked Taehyung. He loves Taehyung. 

    "Oh! This is me. It's good to know you Jungkook-ssi. Thank you for today and I really hope you can help me with my tattoo."

    Jungkook nodded before jogging towards his place. His cheeks flushed as his heart felt too heavy inside his chest. He couldn't hold it anymore. 

 

   The rain drops tapped on Jungkook's window pane. Creating light sound lulling Jungkook to sleep again. But his eyes looked at the painting across him. The one painting both of them loved so much. It was a painting Taehyung made after they decided to live together. It reminded him of their new life together. 

    

  Jungkook walked towards his closet, fishing out the small box where he placed Taehyung's tattoo design. He slowly held the paper, tracing the shade with his fingers. 

 

   The rain poured down when Taehyung woke up. The atmosphere dropped its temperature so Taehyung held his sweater tightly. He closed his eyes again but then Jungkook's eyes floated behind his lashes. 

       "I like you," Jungkook's voice resonated inside Taehyung's head. The memory was too vivid. They were on a balcony and the city lights below then twinkled like stars and the moon shone brightly that night. 

       "God, what took you so long?" Taehyung opened his eyes again. His heart hammering against his ribs too loudly. He remembered. He finally remembered. Jungkook. His friend. His boyfriend. 

  

  There was a loud knock outside Jungkook's door and he groaned in his sleep. He glanced at the alarm clock beside his nightstand. A bright 7:36 glowed. Who would knock at this early hour of the day? 

   But the knock didn't go away so Jungkook begrudgingly stood up and opened the door. 

"Yoongi-hyung, I swear-"

   "Jungkook!" Jungkook's eyes widened as his sleepy mind processed what was happening. Taehyung was here. Taehyung was here. His mind kept on telling him but Jungkook stood frozen in place when the older man hugged Jungkook tightly. Taehyung's here! 

     Then instinctively Jungkook placed his hands on Taehyung's back. The brown-haired burried his face on the crook of Jungkook's neck, sniffling. 

    "God, I'm so sorry," Taehyung muffled. "I'm so sorry Jungkook. I'm so sorry."

    Jungkook tightened his grasp around the older's waist. Afraid to let go. Frightened to know that this was all just a dream and he would soon open his eyes, feeling alone and lonely again. But the warm tears from Taehyung brought Jungkook back to reality. Taehyung's really here. 

     "Tae, shh. It's okay. You're alright," Jungkook held Taehyung's tear stained face, wiping a stray tear from his cheek. "I missed you too. I missed you so bad." 

     "Why? Why didn't you tell me back then?" Taehyung gripped Jungkook's shirt tightly, as he met the younger's gaze on him. 

    "I'm really sorry. I, I don't know what to say then. I didn't want to pressure you or anything. I just, I just missed you so much, Taehyung."

     And Jungkook leaned in, meeting Taehyung's lips once again. It's been a year but Taehyung's lips still tasted so sweet and warm. Taehyung kissed him back, raking his fingers through Jungkook's hair. Jungkook pulled back, breathing heavily then led the older inside. 

 

     Taehyung looked around. Still remembering the details of Jungkook's home. Their home. Jungkook rubbed his hands soothingly then held out the box. Taehyung lifted the cover and the design looking back at him innocently. Taehyung could feel new tears flowing. Jungkook's been waiting for him. All these time, Jungkook waited. And this brought back Taehyung to tears. 

   Jungkook held him until Taehyung calmed down. Jungkook kissed his eyes once again. "I love you, Taehyung."

   Taehyung hugged the younger tightly. Kissing his cheeks before whispering "I love you more. I love you so much."

 

  The sound of the buzzing of needle filled the air as Jungkook finished the tattoo along Taehyung's skin. When it was done, Taehyung kissed him deeply again. Hands hovering just above Jungkook's chest and resting them on top of Jungkook's heart. Taehyung smiled knowing who they're beating for. He knew there's still some things he wanted to remember but being with Jungkook in that moment was enough for now. 

    They slept through the whole afternoon, catching up with each other's lives for the passing year. Jungkook told Taehyung everything about them in the past. Filling in the gaps of Taehyung's memory and the older welcomed the warmth inside his chest. He snuggled closer to Jungkook, remembering the scent of mint and leather.

 

   Evening came and Jungkook had a plan. He dragged Taehyung out despite the latter's protest and insisted to cuddle more. Jungkook laughed as he held Taehyung's hand, gripping it tightly. 

    They entered the building and Jungkook opened the room where Taehyung held his first exhibit. Taehyung gasped as memories rushed inside his head, eyes b with unshed tears. So Jungkook wiped them away and led him towards the balcony where everything started. 

    

    The city lights shone brightly that night. Jungkook asked Yoongi for help in setting up their table. Taehyung smiled warmly as he saw what Jungkook did. The table was simple but was presented elegantly. Taehyung's favorite flowers placed on the center and a bottle of wine on the side. Jungkook guided Taehyung to his seat before sitting across the older.

   Taehyung quirked his eyebrow, smiling playfully at Jungkook. "I thought you don't like anything fancy."

   "No I don't but sometimes change is good," Jungkook said as he poured both of them wine. Taehyung hummed in satisfaction when the red liquid traveled down his throat. Jungkook smiled before motioning for the waiter to serve their food. 

   Dinner was as usual light and fun. But something was in the air that night, Taehyung noted. He noticed Jungkook wasn't wearing his leather jacket and instead a plain navy blue threeforths. He looked so mature in that and Taehyung couldn't help himself feeling excited as he thought of the way how to undress Jungkook from the material. When dinner was finished, Jungkook stood up making Taehyung curious more. He waited when Jungkook finally stood in front of him. A low music hummed through the Seoul air, filling the atmosphere with light and romance. Taehyung giggled when Jungkook held out his hand, cheeks blushing. 

   "May I have this dance?"

    Taehyung lifted his hand to held Jungkook. They waltzed slowly, bodies moving with the music. Taehyung let out a soft sigh, placing his head on Jungkook's shoulder. 

   "I didn't know you're into romance, Jeon Jungkook."

   Jungkook snorted as he rested his hand on Taehyung's hip, where the tattoo rested. "Just for you babe." He whispered. 

    "Thank you for this, Jungkook."

Jungkook smiled and looked at Taehyung. He slowly walked backwards, a few steps away from Taehyung. 

    Taehyung raised his eyebrow for a moment before he gasped silently when Jungkook kneeled, one knee propped up and the other kneeling. Taehyung's eyes started to sting when the younger held out a small box out of his pocket. Jungkook looked up to Taehyung, heart feeling like it would burst any minute. 

   "Tae," Jungkook breathed out. "You do know I'm really not a smooth talker but you already know how much I love you. I am willing to wait for you if you needed more time but,..I just love you so much." Jungkook breathed out, his own eyes started to well up when he saw Taehyung was already crying. And then he blurted out , with his heart beating wildly, "Will you marry me?"

 

  "Oh my god. Yes! Yes I will!" Taehyung hugged Jungkook as the younger opened the box. Taehyung looked at it and he remembered the silver ring he ordered for Jungkook's birthday. 

   "Jungkook," 

    "I know. And you fulfilled your promise to me, Tae. You found me and loved me. And for that I'm truly grateful. I love you so much."

     "I love you more, baby. I love you more."