1 - Secret

Can you keep a secret?

‘’Sojung! We have a problem, someone lost the applications for the Exchange Program!’’ someone screamed from the opposite side of the classroom they were using as meeting room, since their actual office had to be closed because some joke a group of seniors did a couple weeks ago.

 

‘’I have copies in my locker, I’ll go for it’’.

 

She probably would had been mad about it before, but with the moving they had to do it wasn’t weird some of the papers were missing, she was just hoping nothing important was lost at that point.

 

And then, she left the room after giving to her secretary XuanYi, a very nice chinese girl who she was kinda close to, some instructions about how to deal with the Sophomore B-2 Class President Lee Jin Suk, who was asking for permission to do an special activity for the upcoming festival.

 

This girl was Chu So Jung, 17 years old, a Senior that was one year ahead in the class and ended up becoming the Student Body President. She took off her glasses and hanged them on her jacket, then fixed her bangs before leaving their improvised office.

 

As she was walking some familiars faces showed up, and she greeted gladly, some teachers to whom she bowed, and a Freshman that fell and she helped to grab the books he just had dropped, all with a sweet smile planted on her face. That’s how she was, nice and caring, simply as that.

 

Not long passed until the president arrived to her destination, she opened her locker (her little sister’s birthday was the code) and searched for the papers behind a certain notebook with a flower design. She stared at it,a troubled feelings reflexing in her eyes, before snapping out of her trance and grabbing the documents.

 

Sojung was going to close the locker when her phone beeped, with that particular ringtone that was only for one particular person. She grabbed it and read the message.

 

JiSnake: Meet me in the gym ASAP.

 

Sigh. She took a look at the locker again, noticing that it was indeed boring, she didn’t had stickers, not a sign of colors, not even bright notebooks apart of the flower themed one. She paused her gaze in that notebook again, and after thinking it for a couple seconds she took it to bottom of her backpack, with the papers she was originally searching for.

 

The hallways were barely decorated (a decision made by the Principal, even tho she was currently making a project to fix it) and the area was quite silent, not as it usually was, but maybe the reason behind it was what almost everybody decided to be outside because of the nice weather,she couldn’t blame em.

 

She was wishing it could stay like that the whole day, but in the morning they said in the news that it may rain later, and that night she had something important to do. Something really important.

 

The sound of her cellphone bought her to reality again.

 

JiSnake: HURRY TF UP.

 

And so she did. Jiyeon, her best friend, wasn’t usually that impatient. Scratch that, that crazy girl always made a fuss out of nothing but she loved her anyways... most of the time.

 

Maybe if she had choose a different path, maybe if she turned around the moment she saw her, and maybe if she just ignored her things would be alright. But no. There, in front of her eyes, was Hyunjung, leaning on the lockers.

 

The girl in front of her had a pale skin tone, long hair as dark as coal, a resting face and an amazingly strong gaze that contrasted perfectly with her soft features. Summarizing, the girl was beautiful. And she was also the Principal’s only daughter.

 

‘’I know you are the one behind the joke in our office’’ Sojung said when they both were close enough.

 

‘’Good morning to you too’’ she said before leaving her position against the locker to face the other. ‘’And for the record, I already said I was innocent and unless you have any evidence, it remains like that’’.

 

And then the girl took her leave. Sojung was sure she was going to catch her sooner or later, it wasn’t the first time Hyonjung did something like that in the school. Huh, that girl had been her headache the whole year and she knew it would remain like that until the bitter end, for some reason Hyonjung found joy and fun causing troubles in the school.

 

A couple minutes later she arrived at the gym, where her best friend was already waiting with a box on her legs.

 

‘’I told you it was an emergency. I could be dead by now because you took too long’’.

 

‘’Let’s pretend we’re happy that nothing happened and just tell me what’s going on, I have work to do’’.

 

Jiyeon threw a ball at Sojung and then made her sit on the floor right beside her. Jiyeon was a really pretty girl herself, with light brown hair and a face that went from ‘go to hell’ to ‘I love unicorns’ when she smiled. But as pretty she was, she was crazy.

 

‘’Do you know what I have in this little box?’’ she didn’t let her answer, ‘’Shrimps ‘’.

 

Suddenly whatever the crazy girl had to say was interesting. ‘’What do you want in exchange?’’.

 

‘’Ok so do you know Sungjae? The super cute boy that is in your class?’’ Sojung nodded ‘’He asked me out last night’’.

 

‘’Weren’t you dating that junior girl Sooyoung a couple weeks ago?’’ she asked confused.

 

‘’It was only dating, nothing exclusive’’ Jiyeon shrugged. ‘’The point is, I need you to take care of Jinsook tonight so I can go out’’.

 

‘’Nop. No way’’.

 

‘’Come on! Why!?’’.

 

‘’First’’ she said standing up, ‘’She never listen to me. And second, you know I have plans for tonight’’.

 

Her best friend sighed, her expression swifting as she gulped guiltily ‘’I totally forgot about it. I’ll cancel my plans with Sungjae, tonight at 9PM under the bridge close to the school, right?”

 

Sojung shrugged her shoulders “You don’t have to come, it’s ok, go to your date”.

 

“Are you sure?”.

 

“Yeah” she paused for a second. “But you have to give me the food or I swear to God that I’m going to throw you out of the window”.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The whole day passed so slowly that it was actually painful, yet at the same time she wanted to stop the time right there so she wouldn’t had to face what was coming tonight. Gladly she was distracted by her responsibilities.

 

After she left Jiyeon in the gym room, she went back to their little office to sort out the papers for the exchange students, then write the reports of the last activities and the funds they were going to need for the ones coming, and finally a surprise speech in front of the whole school that made em all miss one hour of class.

 

But that speech was something that shook her insides even more.

 

The principal was talking about how some students were going to be given awards for their last test and some opportunities she preferred not to think about. She had too much pressure in already.

 

Indeed, this was a really long day, but finally she was in the warmness of her room. The girl was looking some outfits to try out, and it was a little bit harder than what she expected at first. Nothing seemed to be good enough and her head was about to explode.

 

Putting a pillow over her head and sleeping for a couple of weeks was a really good and temptative option.

 

After trying one more she gave up and collapsed in her bed. Right after that a knock in the door sounded, but Sojung didn’t moved one inch.

 

“Just come in, it’s open.” she removed the pillow from her face.

 

Through the door came Dayoung, Sojung’s little annoyingly cute sister. The girl looked somehow troubled with something since she didn’t even spared a look at the mess of clothes all around the room.

 

“Unnie, do you think if I dye my hair orange I will look good?”

 

“You must not, did you looked at Jinsook when she did it? Brunette would suit you better” Sojung stated.

 

“Yeah… but then again I’m prettier than her!” Dayoung laughed and seated beside her sister in the bed. She was used to joke like that with Jinsook but actually she was one her best friends. “By the way, what’s all this mess?”

 

Sojung stood up and took a bunch of clothes to fold em and take em back to the closet.

 

“Just trying to get ready for tonight, but I can’t really decide on anything to wear.”

 

“What about the black skirt with the yellow shirt?”

 

“I’ve already tried and it doesn’t give out the strong impression I want” Sojung was really ready to give up by now and just show up in a jean and a simple blouse, or maybe not showing up at all. That one was a really good plan.

 

“Well then…” her little sister said, taking in her hands the leather jacket, a white crop top, and a black tight jean she found abandoned in the floor. “Try this” she handed the clothes to the older.

 

“”Do you think it wi-”.

 

“Try it and after that questions” the younger interrupted. She knew how excited her sister was, and as excited, she was nervous, and even though the girl was amazing, when nervous a lot of doubts roamed in her head, and was in need of someone to help her out.

 

Dayoung, as the amazing sister she was, tried her best to help her always.

 

Sojung started changing her clothes when Dayoung speaked again.

 

“You know you will do alright tonight, just do what you’re good at, it’s okay to be nervous”.

 

A comfortable silence filled the room for some seconds and Sojung finished putting the clothes on.

 

“... I really needed to hear that, thank you.”

 

“Then are you going to let me go with you!?” Dayoung asked excited, standing up.

 

“Hell no, I never said that.” the older turned around and gave her sister a little grin, the girl has been trying to make approaches the whole week waiting for Sojung to invite her to go with her, she even did the dishes when it was Sojung’s turn.

 

Dayoung was about to go off about it until she breathed, letting go the annoyed look in her eyes.

 

“You know what, I will let it slip today.”

 

Sojung went to the mirror in the room, it was a full body one so she was able to check out the whole outfit. She tied her hair in a high ponytail and putted a pair of boots on, then checked herself again, thinking that maybe she was ready.

 

“So, what do you think?” she turned around to look at her sister again.

 

The younger gave her a thumbs up and then stood up to give her a hug, Sojung immediately returned it and smile, somehow she felt a little bit lighter.

 

An alarm sounded, when Sojung looked at it she realized it was time to go already.

 

She could do it.

 

“Good luck.” Dayoung said with an understanding look, Sojung gave her a nervous smile, and then exited the room.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The sky was dark already as she was making her way through to reach the place. The bridge near the school. She took a look at her surroundings, walls were painted with graffiti drawings, some posters were there too, and empty trash barrels were in the ground.

 

When Sojung looked at em with more attention, she noticed they were forming a rectangle. There were big speakers in each of the corners, and in one of the borders, precisely in the middle of it, were a bunch of what appeared to be boxes, making an improvised little stage, and behind it, a keyboard with a DJ playing music.

 

One particular wall was covered in black spray with some drawings with it, one of a particular flower catched her attention, it was the same flower she had in her notebook. The girl decided to take that as a sign of good luck.

 

There were a ton of people already in the place, most of them with simple clothes and not really minding her. A feeling of nervousness suddenly hitted Sojung directly in her stomach, and being here by herself didn’t really helped her with that.

 

She thought maybe calling Jiyeon would help, but it was no time for that and she wouldn’t be able to interrupt the other’s date or ruin it. How could she think that everything would be ok? .

 

The girl was about to turn around and return to her house to feel even worse than she did now because she couldn’t be brave enough to stay and start. Jiyeon and Dayoung will be mad at her. Yikes, even she will be mad at herself.

 

A voice started to rumble in the speakers that made Sojung stop in her tracks.

 

“Are y’all ready for tonight? Make some noise!” the voice cheered.

 

Sojung could recognize that raspy voice anywhere. It was one of her favorites rappers ever, Cheetah. She looked at her and was surprised (like all the times she saw her) by her strong and fierce eyes. Cheetah had some kind of smile in her face, but it was a smile that knew that some fun would be coming down anytime soon.

 

“You know my name right?” Cheetah said, making the whole place shake with the scream of all the people there saying her name, she clapped at that. “Tonight is going to be the first battle of the season so I hope you are ready for it”.

 

The people screamed even louder and a shiver went down Sojung’s spine. Someone grabbed her arm and made her face it.

 

“You are Chu Sojung right?” said girl nodded. “We need you back with the rest of the girls right NOW, how could you come so late?”

 

“I-I’m sorry” she stuttered.

 

“Girl, you gonna be crushed early if you act like that when you are up there, come on, build up that courage” the other encouraged her with an smile and a shake of shoulder. “The name is Dawon, by the way, I help in the back and with the arranging of everyone here”.

 

“Thank you, Dawon, you already know my name”.

 

“Sure, let’s go” that been said, both of the girls made their way to the back through the crow, which was a mission harder than expected.

 

Now that she looked at her, Sojung noticed that Dawon was a really good-looking girl with an strong appearance and a seductive smile, the girl had a loose blue blouse with a tight white short.

 

They arrived at the place shortly, it was some meters away from where the show was held on, but you could still watch the crowd and here what was being side in the speakers. Yeah, they were that strong.

 

Dawon then guided her to some kind of desk where a man was checking some names.

 

The man looked at her and then down at the list again.

 

“Chu Sojung, you were late. Next time check in on time or you’re out”.

 

She gulped and then nodded with her head, that made the uneasiness in her chest even heavier.

 

“Dawon, take her to get ready, it’s almost time to go out” the man said, Dawon bowed a little bit while affirming, then proceeded to take Sojung away from him to another place.

 

Sojung breathed in and out, slowly, trying to calm herself down but somehow she was unsuccessful.

“It’s your first time, right?” Dawon asked, not really waiting for an answer. “I know it’s hard not to be nervous, but you have to pull you together. I’m going to cheer on you, okay?”

 

The girl had such a radiant smile on her face that Sojung felt something moving inside of her, she corresponded the smile and tried to do as she was told.

 

“Thank you” Sojung said quietly. That’s right, she wasn’t a person of too many words with new people, yet somehow this this girl made it easier to talk with her.

 

“Then let’s start this! Come one everyone up the stage” Cheetah’s voice resounded around the whole space. That was her call, and she knew it even before Dawon told her to hurry up and join the rest.

 

Behind the stage she finally looked at the rest of the people going there for tonight, they went from one style to another. There were some classy-pretty looking ones, other not so much, but some people stood out to her.

 

There was a small girl who had long hair and a really skinny face, a strong looking boy who had chubby cheeks, and a girl that had purple hair and a hat on.

 

“Look where you’re walking, newbie” the purple haired one said looking at her from head to toe, after that she went up the stage followed by the rest. Sojung was the last one, someone passing them a mic as soon

 

There were a total of 8 persons on the stage, excluding Cheetah, 4 males and 4 females, each one of them with a different look and a nasty look in their faces, they were ready to shake things up.

 

Sojung was trying to give a strong impression herself, but she honestly didn’t knew how to do that. She was already up in the stage, flashes of cellphones recording the event hitting her, and judging glances directly at her. She spent weeks getting ready for this, so this wasn’t really the time for a panic attack.

 

“We’re going to do things a little bit different tonight. Since it’s the first night we’re going to have a ‘Present Yo-self’ match, with everyone here. The beat will drop and one of y’all will step in the center of the stage and do what you came here for” the woman with cat-like eyes said, taking her time to look at each contestant in the eye. “Now are you ready to this up!?” Each of the persons there screamed at that.

 

And the beat dropped, with loud chants of the crowd. A few seconds passed and no one dared to do anything, and it was getting on Sojung. Right when she decided that she would jump in and start, someone did it instead of her.

 

The purple haired girl gave the first step and stood in the center of the stage.

 

A-yo, Introducing myself, had to do it

But I came here to win and I’m going to crush all these newbies

 

Sojung felt uneasy and somehow burning inside, was this girl really pointing at her while saying that line? Huh.

 

K. I. M. is my name

Don’t step on my, it’s my game

 

And she kept on and on. In all honesty, Sojung didn’t took that much out of her, she was more babbling than doing and that showed in her rap, Sojung was sure she could reach that level in her turn. After her, followed the small girl she saw before, the girl introduced herself as Rena.

 

Getting nervous more times than the others

I’ll show you what’s real now

Even if the place is a stage or a cage

I’m going to crash into it

The chances going up and down

I made it mine, I’m Rena, Rock ‘N Roll

 

The girl definitely snapped, and Sojung was sure she was going to make it far, her strong point was that she had a unique voice that sounded sharp and kind of nasal without making it annoying, but the time for admiration was over, this was going to be a war real soon.

 

After her one boy named Jooheon followed, and his skills for lyrics catched everyone’s attention. Sojung thought it was enough for looking and watching, and decided to give her best shot too, even if she was being anxious, it was now or never.

 

She ran to the center of the stage and then stopped. Took a look at her surroundings, everyone was looking expectantly at her, some of the rappers on the stage were already looking down on her for not starting instantly.

 

Breath in, breath out.

 

My mind, at any moment is in the highest

There’s no time for looking down

I’m floating in this beat, filling the holes in this space

Like pellicules in your head and stay your place

I’m calling here, and filling your emptiness

I’ll snatch your way and devour you, I’m like venom

 

She felt the words slipping right out of her mouse without her thinking much, and in that moment of excitement she took her jacket off, making the crowd go wild.

 

E, X, Y, Exy

I’m not being egocentric, that’s how I feel

Exy-pensive, it’s how I am, Woah

 

And it ended just like that, she felt the excitement building up in her stomach and happiness flooding out of her chest. Exy walked to where she was in return, after receiving a good ovation.

 

The rest of the rappers performed, names like Soyeon, Suga, and such popped up, and she made sure of hearing at each of them and analyzing their styles and lyrics for further reference. Soyeon, Mark Lee and Vernon made strong impressions on them, mainly because most of them looked not really much older than her.

 

After everyone was done introducing themselves, Cheetah made sure to make herself note again.

 

“All this guys did a good job right!?” the crowd cheered, some raising plastic cups in their hands. “We’re going to see him from next time on, so get ready because their battles are going to start. For the rest of the night there’s going to be some performance of previous winners and myself”.

 

All of them went down the stage, and no one really talked to the other, but Exy was feeling really happy and her smile showed it, not little after that Dawon reached her.

 

“Woa! Girl, you did a really great job out there” she said with all honesty, a compliment from her made the girl shake a little, how could she do that so quickly?

 

She was taken by surprise when the other one hugged her.

 

“Congratulations”.

 

Exy’s smile grew even wider. After that both girls exchanged phone numbers, and even when the rapper wanted their conversation to go on, the other one had to go because she had job to do.

 

And the night went on, Exy was making her way in the crowd when a touch in her shoulders made her turn around.

 

She dropped her smile in one instant as surprise filled her body.

 

“You know, your stage name Exy is kind of y, President Sojung”.

 

.

 

.

.

.

.

 

This was the first chapter!! Did y'all enjoyed it?? If so let me know please :D 

I based most of the rap parts in actual thing each rapper used. For example, for Kim and Exy's introductions I used the one they did in Unpretty Rapstar when they arrive, for Rena's I used her part in the Turtle Ship performance in Produce101. 

I hope you guys have a nice start of the week and I hope I will be able to post the next chapter really soon!