Happier With Her

For Her (그녀를 위하여)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I groan as I wake up for school once again, struggling to open my droopy eyes. I shake my head as a scoff escapes from my mouth when scenes from last night's dream replay in my head. Even in my dream I could not change the dreaded outcome. I could not change his heart and his feelings for me. I was yet again rejected. Be it the reality or my imagination, I guess it will never work out for me. How much more miserable can I get? I really need to get over him. Soon. I think to myself as I take my towel and walk towards my bathroom.

 

 

*flashback*

"Hey! Jimin!!" I shout as I call my best friend. "How are you?" His voice shows his excitement as he hugs me warmly, I smile brightly as my cheeks start to warm up and my heart begins to beat at a faster pace. I can never get over physical contacts with him like this, even though it was probably not a big deal for him.
Park Jimin is my bestfriend, for whom I have had unrequited feelings for about 11 months now, it has been almost a year. It started with something as simple as admiration when I began to notice his chivalrous actions and enjoyed his attention on me. Then came attraction. I wanted to spend more and more time with him, and to see him talking to his female classmates casually often made me feel a pang on my heart, as if in worry that they would take away the man that I had come to adore. And instead of simply crushing on the handsome man, I started to fall for his personality. I started liking him. And eventually, I had come to love every aspect of him. His bright eyesmile, his well-built body, his deep voice when he accidentally speaks in satoori, his soft voice and slightly trembling voice whenever he sang for me when I had trouble sleeping, his alluring eyes when our eyes met, and everything else about him was so precious to me.

"How is school these days? I hope you haven't been annoying your classmates." I ask him, bumping our shoulders as we met up in front of my house. My house was on the way to school so he would always wait for me in the morning, and walk me back home as well. It was one of the things that he did which I adored so much, and I loved these short walks alone with him. However, tonight he had called me out to hang out at the park. "Are you saying that I annoy you? Whaetever. I'm adjusting all right. There are so many girls in my class though, I think I am attracting all their attention. The boys seem wary of me." He smirks as he his chin. I smack his head to bring him back to reality from whatever he was imagining. "Maybe they just think you're weird", I stuck out my tongue and he playfully glares my way.
"One of them did catch my breath though. She seems like a nice person, she even offered to share her notes with me because I entered the school a little late. I think I'll talk to her soon." He heaves a deep sigh, all the mischievous gleam gone from his eyes, and my eyes flutter as I stood stupefied by his sudden confession about his classmate. Immediately I wiggle my eyebrows playfully to cover up, though I hated the image of seeing him with someone else. "Eyy, don't worry. She probably likes you if she offered that. You're an amazing person, Jim. I know you will be fine." "Thanks, you." He gives me a soft smile as we walk towards the park. The stars were less, yet the ones that shone shone so brightly that they decorated the night sky beauitfully. I glance at the person next to me, his presence shines even brighter under the moonlight.

"I missed you." He suddenly tells me, taking my heart by surprise too as it skips a beat. "Awe, I missed you too, Jim. We should definitely meet up more often. We barely manage to meet once a week. Why did you have to go a different school." I huff as I cross my arms in fake annoyance, though I clearly knew that my school had denied him admission late into the term. "I am sorry..." He pats my head lightly, and my chest was pit-a-pating on its own. A blush had definitely crept up my face already and I silently hoped that it was unnoticeable in the dark. "I mean you need your daily dose of lame me, right? Texts and phone calls aren't enough to make up for it." We burst out in laughter, laughing at my very bad sense of humor. I was again grateful that Jimin laughed at stuff easily. I do get poker faces often in silent reply but never mind.
I sit down on a swing as he starts pushing me lightly. The cool breeze was so refreshing to feel against my exposed skin and not just my body, my mind started feeling light too. I smile contentedly, the dark hiding my blushing cheeks. I love the way we are right now, enjoying each other's presence even in the silence. And I'd give anything for us to always be like this.

I feel so much happier when I'm with him.

"You know... It's been more than 2 years now since my last relationship. I feel so lonely at times. I wonder if I miss her or if I miss the feeling of being loved and held... My mind keeps on going back to the times that I had spent with her." He breathes out deeply as he had now stopping pushing. I drag out my legs to stop the swing from moving back and forth and my heart thumps against my chest hardly as I look back at him in confusion and worry. "..I mean not in the 'I want her back' way. I think I still regret not treating her better. She would not have left me for another guy otherwise, right?" 

"Jimin-ah... she doesn't deserve your love and worry. Be happier that she decided to end things with you instead of cheating on you. It was for the best of both of you. And don't worry, you're not alone. I mean, I have been single way longer than you have been. Pfft. You shouldn't be complaining more than me."

"Haha, don't lie, you. We both know who complains more about being a single pringle." "Whatever." I stick out my tongue at him, and he gestures his hand like he'd pull it out if I don't stop. I drag my fingers across my lips, gesturing that I would seal my mouth now.

"Do you think I will find love again? I don't feel so confident after how things ended up last time." His eyes were now on the ground as he fiddled with his fingers. I bend down to meet his eyes that were still avoiding mine "Hey... don't talk like that. I'm telling you, you are attractive and fun to have around. Seriously, I bet there are girls out there who crush on you, it's just that you don't know. Who wouldn't want you around? I love the time that I spend with you." I tell him, meaning every word spilling from my mouth.

"Wow, thanks for the compliments though. But I'll stick to the fact that no girl is romantically attracted to me." He tells me stubbornly.
"Oh please. I know a girl who does." Aaannd there goes my babbling mouth. I was so frustrated by Jimin continuing to underestimate himself, a bad habit of his which resurfaced whenever he was feeling incompetent, that before I realised I had blabbered out words which would put me in trouble.
"For real?" I panic as my eyes waver, looking everywhere except at him. "Uh.. yeah. But I won't tell you who though. She asked me to keep in a secret." Please believe me Jimin, please don't ask more questions. I silently plead in my head as I breathed heavily.
"Come on, I'm your bestfriend. I won't confront her about it. Pleaseee tell me." He pleads me whilst pouting and joining his hands. "No, Jim. I prefer to keep secrets. I don't want to betray her trust." Drop your pleadings, you stubborn boy. "I'm your bestfriend! Trust me, dude." "No, Jimin. I can't tell you." I can be stubborn with you too. His shoulder visibly sinks and he walks away from me, towards the slide.
Is he mad? Dissappointed? Or is he acting? I contemplate in my head before deciding to run after him. I hug him f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter