One Condition

One Condition

“Please support us. Thank you.” Her voice stood out the most even in such busy surrounding. It was lunch hour which means most of the students would scatter around the campus compound- giving her the most perfect opportunity to fulfill her duty. Every single votes count, I could almost hear her mind chanted as she passed the flyers to every students she could reach.

The weather was bright and sunny but the heat wasn’t enough to stop her. After all, Seo Hyejin was very much known around the campus for being utterly stubborn and passionate about her ridiculous obligation on campaigning against the current student body. People told her she was crazy and her effort was almost futile, and to be frankly honest, I kind of think of it that way too. Sometimes.

I sat at the nearby bench, totally engrossed on watching her- like I did almost every day. This sounds creepy but I guess, creepy is my way. I knew she would be here at this time doing exactly that. We weren’t that close but at least I knew her well enough to predict her ‘little riot’ setting.

Does this girl ever rest? I found myself asking that question quiet often.

“This university is a sacred place of education. Why are they letting those goons represent us and rule like they own this place? They think it is alright to just be asking other students for money and not doing their job right on protecting our rights?” I remembered her saying when I first provoked her. She was always good with her banter and that kind of amused me.

The first few weeks of the semester was long gone and it was time for the giant homework assignments, complicated group projects and the general pointless presentations- followed by unending quizzes to be showing off their teeth.

I wasn’t really sure how she managed to juggle around the hectic schedule of lectures, passing around the flyers and going around the campus convincing people about how crappy the student body is. Even I myself had to skip a few band practice sessions just to catch up with all the piling works. Sure, the band is important to me but so does graduating. I am not exactly sure how getting a degree in business management is going to help me to pursue my music career but I am positive that the dots will connect somehow, someday.

“So, are you just gonna stare like that everyday and not help, Mr. Self-Proclaimed Steal-Your-Fans?” She said as she walked towards me. Damn, she caught me again.

“Why would I help?” I asked back, trying to restore my shattering ego. My voice sounded guilty. She must’ve been thinking about how pathetic I am.

“Come on, it’s not like you approve their ways of doing things anyway.” She took a seat beside me, smiling as she says it. I can see the dimple on her left cheek- it’s the special Seo Hyejin charm.

“Well, true but I don’t think I want my fans to see me passing around banned flyers in a hot day like this. I have image to take care of you know.” I wiggled my eyebrows as I said it, making her cringe.

“Please, I think the only fan you have is yourself.” She said.

“Tell you what…” I trailed off, not really sure if it is wise to say what I had on mind. I've been waiting for the opportunity to present itself, so I might as well take a shot.

“What?” Her voice sounded sceptical- like she was expecting me to say something rediculous.

“I’ll help you to caimpagn in a more amazing and effective way.” There, I offered the bait.

“You have an amazing and effective way?” Again, the sceptical tone.

“Just tell me you’re in.” I adjusted my sitting position, trying to look convincing.

“I need to hear it first.” She raised her left eyebrow. Seo Hyejin never plays it easy- I've been told. I huffed my breath.

“What if I let you do your little persuasive speech after me and my band did our usual weekend busking this week? You know the crowds are pretty amazing. You can save your time from having to reach them one by one.” Another bait. I really hoped she would just take it and stop playing hard. But then again, she is Seo Hyejin.

“You sure? What about your bandmates? Don’t they have a say in this?”

“I’m pretty sure they won’t mind. Wonpil and Dowoon kinda adores your spirit and Sungjin always hated those people anyway and Jae… well Jae is just Jae, he won’t mind.” I tried to sound casual.

“And you?” She asked. Our eyes locked.

“Me?” I can hear my voice wavered. This is the Seo Hyejin effect, I thought.

“Don’t you have like any ulterior motive or some kind? What do you want in return? Don’t tell me you want me to pay you.” I let out a little laugh at the words ulterior motive. So she can read minds too?

“I’m not that cheap.”

“So what’s your price?” She asked.

“Just one simple condition.”

“Huh?” I can see the confused lines forming on her forhead.

“One condition.” I said again.

“What is it?”

“Eat lunch with me.” I finally said it.

“You’re joking.” She trained her eyes on me and there was something to the slant of the lines around them that made me wonder if I’ve crossed the line.

“I think I’m pretty serious.” I said, not willing to let the opportunity slip by.

“Seriously? Eat lunch and that’s it?”

“Yeah.”

“So?”

“Cool.” She stammered out the agreement.

I couldn’t exactly see my expression at that time but I’m one hundred percent sure it changed so quickly that you couldn’t tell what it had been originally. I was absurdly pleased with that one simple word. I thought she would turn me down or take it as a joke- like she always did but she didn’t and it caught me off guard.

“Cool.” I said, not sure what else to say and cast a smile at her direction.

I was about to regret asking her out but then another absurdly pleasing thing happened. She smiled back.