Yeojin Gets Sorted

A Strange Kind of Magic

PLATFORM NINE AND THREE QUARTERS

 

Yeojin shivered in the cool September air. The wool uniform she had so eagerly jumped into this morning was far too thin to keep the cold out effectively.  I should have worn the coat.   She should have done a lot of things, actually, but she hadn’t. She should have told her mom that she was coming out here instead of running off in the middle of the night against her wishes. She should have brought her trunk with her. Instead, she was standing in the middle of a busy train station with little more than the clothes on her back, at the very edge of a precipice that would send her tumbling down into a whole new world.

 

She still remembered the day Professor McGonagall had appeared-- almost literally appeared-- on her front doorstep with a very special letter in her hand and an even more crucial message. She was a witch. She could use magic to change the world around her. Her parents couldn’t but she could. She had always thought magic was real, but to see it used in front of her--to use it herself--was something else entirely. She jumped at the chance to attend the school, to learn more about it, about herself, and become what she was meant to be.

 

Her parents had been rather more split on the issue. Her dad was amazed and eager to explore this new side of the world with her, but her mother was dismayed. She didn’t want to send her only daughter off to some crazy school for an entire year, only seeing her on holidays and summer break. She said she didn’t even believe in magic, which was pretty unbelievable considering she had just witnessed it in action. Yeojin’s dad had argued for a while about her getting a proper education and becoming the best her she could be--standard stuff for him. Yeojin thought he was a pretty good dad. She’d felt bad she hadn’t even written him a letter when she left to go to Platform Nine and Three Quarters at King’s Cross. He’d taken her to Diagon Alley against her mother’s wishes, and they’d had a nice time shopping for necessities and not-so necessities, like chocolate frogs. Those little hopping pieces of confectionary always put a smile on her face.

 

The warm memories only emphasized how cold and alone she actually was. She pulled the small briefcase she had brought with her tighter to her chest. Inside it was her wand, a change of clothes, and a couple of her books. She hoped the school would be able to supply a couple of hand me downs, because otherwise she was screwed.

 

She stared at the column that was the entrance to the oddly named Platform Nine and Three Quarters, according to the letter she had received. All she had to do was run at it and she’d be transported to an entirely different platform in an entirely different world. This was the point of no return.

 

“Hey, you look like you could use a little help!”

 

The girl’s voice pulled Yeojin out of her head. When Yeojin turned around to face the speaker, she was met with a nice view of her sweater and not much else. She had to tilt her head up to see the taller girl’s face. Her eyes shone with warmth, and her tiny smile made Yeojin want to do the same. Yeojin guessed the girl was more than a couple of years older than her, and probably a witch, too. She had brownish-red hair that reminded Yeojin of a terrier she had seen once at a pet store.

 

She liked the other girl instantly.

 

The older girl extended a hand out to greet her. Yeojin shook it, her head tilted in silent awe.

 

“Hello! My name’s Haseul. You’re going to Hogwarts, right? First-year?”

 

Yeojin nodded, her eyes big as dinner plates. dropped open slightly, a question forming, but Haseul was on the answer before her mind could even produce the words.

 

“Oh, I can always tell. First-years are always the same. Also, you’re wearing the uniform.” She smiled encouragingly, and then proceeded. “But I’m being rude! I haven’t even given you the chance to introduce yourself, Miss…”

 

Yeojin looked around furtively, as if there was someone else she could possibly be addressing besides herself. Her cheeks flushed with embarrassment. She must look like such a dummy, hemming and hawwing as if she had just met her idol instead of just another student at her school. But she couldn’t help it--Haseul was the first witch around her own age who had even tried speaking with her. All of the other witches she had met had either been old or unfriendly….

 

With undisguised enthusiasm, she rather loudly replied, “I’M YEOJIN! OH MY GOSH YOU’RE SO COOL I’M SO GLAD I MET YOU--” Haseul winced and clapped her hands to her ears, twisted into a grimace. Yeojin immediately quieted down. “Oh, sorry. Didn’t mean to be so loud, it’s just...thank you for speaking to me.” Oh, that was lame. Yeojin was sure that her cheeks must be as red as tomatoes by now. They certainly burned hard enough.

 

Haseul gave Yeojin a little thumbs up to show the eleven-year old that she was alright, and then she gave her a reassuring smile. Yeojin realized that was a genuine smile, where most people--and most of her friends from before would have told her to leave or to shut up.


Yeah, she really liked Haseul.

 

“Nice to meet you, Yeojin.” Haseul rubbed the back of her neck. “You know how to get through to the platform?” Yeojin nodded vigorously, sparing Haseul from her loudness for just a moment more. “Good, lets go, before the muggles notice.” Yeojin just tilted her head again, unsure of what she meant. “Er. That’s the magic word for normal people. Wow, you really are new to all of this, aren’t you?” Yeojin nodded. “Well, that’s okay. Just stick close to me and I’ll show you the ropes. Actually, that’s kind of like my official function--they should hire me as the Hogwarts school greeter!” Yeojin put a hand over and giggled.  With Haseul, she was safe. There was little she was certain of now, but that was one thing she could rely on.

 

Haseul took Yeojin’s hand in hers. “You ready?”

 

Yeojin felt she had never been more ready for anything.

 

“Yeah.” That was about all she could get out.

 

Haseul gave her a wide smile and then they were running at breakneck speed towards a seemingly solid brick column. Oh no! This is how I’m going to die-- racing along behind a crazy girl because some old lady came to my house and told me I was a witch!

 

Yeojin squeezed her eyes shut and prepared for the inevitable impact, but it never came. When she opened them, she was looking across at an entirely different world. There were kids dressed in robes and cloaks and all sorts of other things that no normal person had worn in at least five decades. They were pushing carts full of cases stacked higher than themselves. Some had cages with live owls inside. There were adults too, dressed in similar, if slightly more fashionable clothing. Some of them even had pointy little hats, like something out of The Wizard of Oz. Most absurdly of all, there was a steam engine that took up the entire right side of the platform. The thing seemed to stretch on forever, with car after car hooked up to each other. A plate on the front read “THE HOGWARTS EXPRESS”.

 

So, this was real, and this was really happening. She hadn’t just hallucinated that day with her dad and that old lady really was telling the truth. She was going to go away for almost an entire year to live in a CASTLE! WITH OTHER WITCHES AND WIZARDS! She fought back the urge to squeal, for the sake of her new friend’s eardrums. She did hop up and down in place, though--she just couldn’t help it. Haseul, to her credit, said nothing and continued holding Yeojin’s hand. She didn’t stop to sit and chat with any of the students milling about with their parents--come to think of it, where were Haseul’s parents? She seemed like someone used to dealing with family. Anyway, Haseul made a beeline straight for the Express, as if she was expecting someone to come and stop her, someone she was hoping desperately to avoid.

 

As it turned out, she was.

 

A blonde girl, significantly taller than Haseul, stepped out from behind a pillar to block her path. Yeojin’s immediate first impression of the girl is that she was cold and a bit mean. Her first words did nothing to dissuade this impression.

 

“Figures you’d turn up again, after what you pulled last year.” The girls arms were crossed tightly over the scarlet robes she was wearing--not school standard, but very stylish. Even Yeojin, who cared little for dressing up and knew even less, could see that. Haseul squeezed Yeojin’s hand, very tightly. Haseul didn’t even seem like she was aware that she was still holding her hand.

“Kim. I’m very sorry about...what happened. But can we just let it go for right now? I’ve got a first year who needs my help.”

 

Kim’s hard expression did not soften. She looked at Yeojin as if she was scum on the heel of her shoe. Yeojin cringed and buried her head in Haseul’s shoulder. She was afraid that the girl might whip out her wand and curse her right then and there. Instead, Kim just glared at her and then turned her attention back to Haseul.


“You’re gonna hurt her just like you did the last one. You know it, and I know it. You should just give up now.”

 

Haseul shook her head, a fiercely determined look on her face. “She doesn’t have anyone else, Kim. I’m not going to leave her out to flounder on her own. Not like you did.” At that Kim gasped. She placed a hand over her shoulder as if Haseul had physically wounded her. Her eyebrows furrowed and she backed off, retreating back behind the pillar.

 

Haseul ran forward, scarcely sparing a second glance to the girl who had stood in her way. But Yeojin never took her eyes off of the blonde. She saw the sadness etched into her features, and for the first time, Yeojin felt a little bad for her.

 

THE HOGWARTS EXPRESS

 

The inside of the train was as crowded as it had appeared from the outside. Loud children ran between the aisles, little puffs of smoke and color appearing from the ends of their wands. Some were in uniform, some were not. Yeojin had a feeling they all would be by the journey’s end. The older kids had colored scarves- Red and gold, green and silver, yellow and black, blue and bronze. It was wonderful chaos, all told.

 

Yeojin tugged on Haseul’s sleeves and pointed out the scarves. “What do the colors mean? Are they like football teams?” Haseul surprised by letting out a loud bark of a laugh. “A little bit. Those are house colors. I can tell you a little bit more about them once we’ve had a chance to sit down/”

 

House colors? Would Yeojin have her own set of house colors eventually? Would she be part of a team? That sounded great to her.

 

Haseul shoved past the rowdy students and to a cabin with its door ajar. There were a couple of girls already inside, but they moved once they realized Haseul was coming in to join them. Haseul slid into the outermost seat and indicated that Yeojin should do the same on the opposite side of her. Yeojin acquiesced gladly. She crossed her hands over each other on her lap and looked at Haseul expectantly. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see the other girls doing the same. Haseul realized this after a few seconds of deep contemplation of her thumbs, and she began introductions immediately.

“Oh! Sorry! Introductions are in order. This young lady right here is Yeojin! She’s very loud and very new, so let’s all give her a warm welcome!” Haseul clapped loudly. The other girls didn’t. It was awkward. “Okay, so Yeojin, say hello to Heejin. Heejin, say hello to Yeojin!” She waited a few seconds for them to introduce themselves. Heejin gave Yeojin a small wave and a polite smile, but otherwise did not move. Yeojin let out a quiet “Hello”. This wasn’t quite how she’d imagined it. Heejin had long, dark hair, parted evenly in the middle. A small mole near the corner of her eye added charm to her otherwise pallid face. She looked like she never got enough rest.

 

Haseul nodded firmly, as if the scene in front of her had never happened at all, and then she pointed to another girl. “Hyunjin, why don’t you say hi to Yeojin?” Hyunjin was a little more enthusiastic than her friend. She shook Yeojin’s hand and gave her a genuine smile. She reminded Yeojin of a cat. After they finished, Haseul clapped her hands together and aimed them both at the pink-haired girl who was staring out of the window. “And last but not least, Vivi and Yeojin! I’m sure the two of you would be good friends.” Yeojin, encouraged by Haseul’s words, leapt up to try to reach over Heejin and give Vivi a proper hello. Vivi didn’t move or even seem to respond to the words or the physical contact. After a few moments, Yeojin dropped back into her seat. “Um...is she okay?”

 

Haseul bit her lip and shook her head. “No. She hasn’t been right since that accident last year.” Accident? Was this what Kim had been referring to at the train station? Yeojin didn’t get a chance to ask before she was jolted forward by a sudden movement. Haseul looked up at the roof of the car and smiled. “Ah, the engine’s started! We’ll be at Hogwarts soon, you’ll see!” The engine began to chug forward at a steady place. Soon, the station beyond the windows was replaced with the verdant landscape of an open field. It was idyllic and peaceful beyond anything Yeojin had ever seen before.

 

Minutes of silence passed before anyone spoke up again. It was Yeojin, much to her surprise.

 

“So, about those house colors?”

 

Haseul’s face lit up with a smile, glad to have something to talk about besides the past year.

“Yes! Hogwarts has four great houses. Each student is assigned to one of these houses in what’s called a sorting.” So Yeojin had been right before when she thought she was going to be part of one of these teams. Everyone was.

 

Yeojin leaned forward intently, a smile plastered on her face. This was the exciting stuff. This was why she had left her home in the middle of the night. “So, what are the houses like?”

 

Haseul sighed and leaned back in her chair, as if she was going to discuss a heavy topic like child abuse or drunk driving. “I think the whole house thing is foolish, if I’m being honest. That’s blasphemy in the halls of Hogwarts, but it’s what I think. It just breeds division and unnecessary rivalry between people who would otherwise be friends. I just don’t believe in it.”

 

Yeojin raised an eyebrow in confusion. “Um, can you explain, please? I think I’m a little lost.”

 

Haseul nodded patiently. She stuck one finger up into the air and began to explain. “There’s four houses. Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. When you put the Sorting Hat on (yeah, I know) it chooses one of the houses for you based on your character. Gryffindor is for the brave and true, Hufflepuff (that’s me) is for the loyal and hardworking, Ravenclaw for the clever and imaginative, and Slytherin is for the ambitious and cunning. Of course, people don’t come out of molds and someone can fit into more than one of these traits. Friends and family can split over house selection, as if you have any control over what the hat thinks. Most of my friends are in other houses. Just look at us. We’ve got a Slytherin--”She pointed at Heejin,”A Ravenclaw--”She pointed at Hyunjin--”And a Gryffindor!” She pointed out Vivi.

 

Heejin clapped sarcastically. “Wow, you’re just the queen of inter-house relationships!” Haseul frowned, looking genuinely hurt.

 

“That’s not very nice, Heekki. I’m trying to show her around.” Heejin threw a hand in front of her face dismissively. “You always are, Haseul. Maybe you should just give up. You haven’t been too useful recently.” Yeojin thought that was a remarkably harsh thing to say to someone that was supposedly your friend. She wondered what house Ms. Kim was in. She thought it was probably Slytherin, judging by the way Heejin was acting. Yeojin really didn’t want to end up there. Unfriendliness always got her down.

 

Heejin rolled her eyes and leaned on Vivi, who still had not responded to any of the conversation. Hyunjin smiled sheepishly and shrugged. “Sorry about Heejin. She’s really a nice girl, but she’s been under a lot of pressure.” Her eyes turned dark as she looked down to the floor. “We both have.” She suddenly turned up, a lot cheerier. “But Ravenclaw would be glad to have you!”

 

Haseul nodded. “We all would, I think. You seem like a really great person.” Yeojin’s face burst into a crooked, totally genuine smile. “Thanks! You too!”

 

Haseul smiled back, and then she settled into her chair, head back. She let a few minutes pass before she brought up a topic of conversation she had doubtlessly been waiting to use since the moment the two of them had met.

 

“So, your parents aren’t wizards.” She said the words with an incredible amount of weight, as if she was discussing a prison sentence. Heejin’s head turned sharply towards Yeojin at the statement. Hyunjin didn’t even raise an eyebrow. Vivi was still lost in her own world.

 

Yeojin hardly noticed.  She giggled goofily and nodded.

 

“Yep. And you guys have magical parents?” She cast a curious eye over the rest of the cabin.

 

Haseul nodded. “My mom’s a witch. My dad might be too, but I don’t know him, so….” She trailed off and joined Vivi in looking out the window at the countryside racing by.


Hyunjin smiled. “Both of my parents are magical. Vivi’s a half-blood--she only has one magical parent. Her dad.”

 

Heejin stared at her, looking her over as if it was the first time she’d ever seen her. “Pureblood. I assume you’ll figure it out from the context.” Two magical parents? Wow, Yeojin thought, Bet she saw a lot of cool stuff growing up! Heejin looked almost horrified. She cast a glare, unseen by Yeojin, at Haseul. Haseul shook her head. “Not here, please,” she mouthed silently.

 

Heejin threw her hands up into the air and crossed her arms across her chest, refusing to look at either Yeojin or Haseul for the rest of the trip.

 

Haseul leaned forward and took Yeojin’s hands in hers.

 

“Okay, so here’s the thing. People look down upon people who come from non-magical backgrounds. They may call you ugly names, or push you down, or even try to curse you, but here’s what you have to remember--you’re special, and you’re important. To me, and to your parents too, I’m guessing. Do you understand?”

 

Yeojin nodded.

 

“Now, tell me a little bit more about where you come from! And don’t spare any details!”


Yeojin nodded excitedly and began to animatedly tell the entire cabin of the path that had taken her here. By the time she was finished, they were ready to disembark.

 

THE GREAT HALL

 

After a long and slightly terrifying boat ride across a large body of water, Yeojin was inside the enormous stone castle. She had gaped and gawped with immense awe, as did all of the other first years. It was a small group, unusually small according to the groundskeeper, a very large man named Mr.Hagrid. He was practically a giant in comparison to Yeojin. Or to anyone really.

 

The first years found themselves assembled in front of a pair of massive wooden doors. They were all chattering amongst themselves nervously, Yeojin included. She was talking to anyone that would listen about anything and everything--chocolate frogs, wand cores, her new friend Haseul, the sorting hat--it was all so exciting!

 

Finally,  Professor McGonagall, or as she corrected them, Headmistress McGonagall came out to welcome them to Hogwarts. She tapped the doors and they swung open with a creak of wood. Beyond was the great hall. And boy, was great the right word for it!

The massive room seemed to stretch on forever, forward and upwards. The ceiling was--well, there was no ceiling, it seemed to Yeojin. Instead, the glorious stone columns that held the building up disappeared into the starry night sky. Yeojin thought she had never seen anything more wondrous or more beautiful in her life.

 

The ground level was pretty impressive too. There were four rows of tables, each decked in the colors of their respective houses. The older students were already seated, staring at Hagrid and the first years with a mixture of eager excitement and bitter annoyance. Yeojin chose to ignore the latter. She thought the tables looked rather empty, devoid of anything but the colorful tablecloths. She looked down at her tummy and rubbed her hand over it. She hadn’t eaten anything since she left home last night. She’d been in too much of a hurry to stop and eat on the way to the platform, and on the bus she’d been too busy talking with her new friends to snack on the trolley food. She hoped they’d bring them something to eat after they got sorted--maybe some nice sandwiches! She could really go for a peanut-butter and cheese sandwich right about now.

 

Yeojin waved at Haseul, who was seating near the front of the Hufflepuff table. The girl gave her a big smile that took up half her face and made her look absolutely blissful. Yeojin did her best to return it, but she was so nervous it probably looked super crooked and weird. Yeojin scanned around the room for her other friends. Hyunjin was sitting next to a tall, elegant looking girl with raven hair. The other girl didn’t seem to be doing much talking herself. Instead, her eyes were working over the group of first years, taking in every detail of their personage. She was clearly bright, but she wasn’t cold. No, there was a warmth in her gaze-- a kind of friendly welcome. Yeojin decided that she liked this girl. If she was friends with Hyunjin, doubly so. Maybe she wanted to be a Ravenclaw. But she probably wasn’t smart or clever enough, at least in her own mind. A bright camera flash out of the corner of her eye drew her attention away from Ms. Elegance and back to the Hufflepuff table. The camera belonged to a smallish girl who was leaning over the side of her table to get a better angle on the Ravenclaw girl. Her hair was tied into a ponytail, her bangs swept over her forehead. She looked adorable-- and slightly creepy, the way she was grinning. Yeojin was afraid she might split her face in two if she kept it up. She turned away quickly for another look at the other tables.

 

The Gryffindor table was rowdy and loud--just like her. She thought about Vivi, the only Gryffindor she had met up until this point-- and about how quiet she had been. She wondered what exactly had happened to her to make so silent--surely she hadn’t been that way when she was placed in the house? The pink-haired girl was sitting next to a much younger girl who was probably a year older than Yeojin at most. She seemed to fit the mold of a Gryffindor much better. Her cheeks were like little fluffballs, and she was rubbing her chin against the older girl’s shoulders affectionately. She reminded Yeojin of a beagle.

 

Last but probably least, Yeojin let her eyesight stray over to the Slytherin table. They seemed like very serious people, and there were few smiles to be seen amongst the crowd. The two exceptions were a couple of blonde girls. One of them was sitting on the other’s lap. Actually, the one sitting on the bench was the girl Haseul had been arguing with on the platform. Kim, or something? If that was even her real name. She had her arms tied tightly around the other girl’s waist. The other girl had delicate, precise features and incredible eyebrows. She looked like a doll. The only exception to her beauty was a long, ugly white scar that took up the entire left half of her face. Guess there were things not even magic could heal completely. She was clad in a Ravenclaw uniform--so what was she doing over there? Was she even allowed to sit at a table other than her own? Apparently not, because one of the professors at the head table quickly marched up to her and dragged her off to her house’s table. The other Slytherins laughed, a nasty, mean-spirited chuckle. Kim blushed a deep red and buried her face in her sleeves. Heejin was there too, and she seemed mostly indifferent to the whole affair. She was more focused on the group of first years, trying to pick out who might be a good candidate for her house. She locked eyes with Yeojin. Her expression was harsh and repulsed--clearly she didn’t want Yeojin as part of Slytherin. That was just fine with Yeojin, because she didn’t want that either.

 

And suddenly, they were at the head of the hall, all the tables far behind them. The sorting hat was waiting for them on the seat of an old, worn down chair. The hat didn’t look much better than its furnishing. The chair was on top of a small set of stairs. The whole thing was very momentous, or so Yeojin thought.

 

A tall, thin man with wild brown hair stepped up, a scroll clutched tightly in his hands. He looked as nervous and unsure of himself as Yeojin felt. Considering how young he looked, it had probably only been a few years since he himself was attending Hogwarts.This was likely his first job, anywhere. Yeojin felt sort of bad for him, but she was more focused on trying not to embarrass herself in front of the entire school.

 

He unfurled the scroll and adjusted his glasses, his gaze totally focused on the ink etched into the parchment. He coughed several times while the headmistress (who had taken her rightful place at the head of the faculty table) looked around awkwardly. Finally, in a shaky, uncertain voice, the professor began to rattle off names. The first three students to go up were all sorted into Gryffindor, to much cheering and applause. The beagle girl let out a loud whoop-- so loud that Yeojin had to clap her hands over her ears.

 

The streak of red was broken when a small, thin girl was sorted into Hufflepuff. The table let out a respectable amount of noise, but they couldn’t really compete with the Gryffindors in that department. After that was a boy who was chosen for Ravenclaw. They were the quietest of the bunch, but they did clap politely. Yeojin expected as much from the smart kids. She hoped she didn’t get put in with them, actually--Hyunjin was nice, but Yeojin wasn’t sure she could survive among that much quiet.

 

The girl just in front of her in line was hopping from foot to foot in excitement, her tiny pigtails bobbing up and down with her. She looked adorable.  She climbed up the tiny set of stairs in two bounds and plopped the Sorting Hat onto her head with speed. The hat deliberated with her for two quiet moments before its voice rang out across the room. “SLYTHERIN!”

The snakes were almost as loud as the Gryffindors. They reminded Yeojin of her dad when one of his favorite football teams won a game or scored a point. Loud, proud and unashamed. There was something admirable about that. The girl sprinted off to take her place next to Heejin.

 

And now it was Yeojin’s turn. She shivered in a mixture of nervousness and excitement. This was it. Once she sat down in that chair and placed the old, weather-beaten black cap on her head, she’d be in. The next morning she would wake up, get dressed and go to a class where they would teach her magic spells. It was a literal dream come true, and she couldn’t wait to get started. She just hoped she’d get to spend more time with Haseul--they’d only known each other for a few hours, but the girl already felt like the big sister she’d never had.

 

She blushed when she realized she had been standing there for way too long. Everyone was staring at her expectantly. She let out a too-loud “SORRY!” and then she sat down in the chair. As soon as she did, the worried looking man placed the Sorting Hat on her head. It started whispering to itself, so low only Yeojin and the hat could hear.

 

“A curious one, you are.”

 

Yeojin whispered in as small a voice as she could manage, “Why are you talking like Yoda?”

 

There were a few giggles around the room at that. Others, probably purebloods, just wore looks of confusion.

 

“A good sense of humor, too. I can sense that your heart wants to be with friends. People you can talk to and learn from. A love of learning--at least as it relates to magic. That’s good. It will serve you well. But you want to be the best. You might not admit it to you or anyone else, but it’s the truth. And you can’t run away from the truth.”


Yeojin looked up at the hat that had nearly fallen over her eyes.

 

“So, where do I belong, Mister Hat?” Her voice was tiny and indistinct, unlike her. The suspense was killing her.

 

“That’s the trick, isn’t it? You would fit well in any of the houses, but I think you would do best in…. SLYTHERIN!”

 

The loud cheering erupted from the table clothed in green and silver. The students over there stamped their feet and raised their hands. Yeojin was pretty happy too--until she realized exactly where the Sorting Hat had placed her.

 

“Wait...what?!”