First Sight

Yours Over a Thousand Faces

Siwon's POV

 

 

It all started when the sun was beaming towards the park. I’ve been into photography for a couple of years now, going out whenever I had the time. I was taking pictures of the beautiful scenes with my camera until accidentally bumping into someone.  We turned around about the same time and froze as if time stopped before my eyes. For all these years, I was lost in a sea of a thousand faces until I saw him. It was those sparkling eyes that caught me. They looked like as if the seven wonders of the world was safely encased in those eyes, easily trapping me in its gaze. 

 

“Sorry,” I said in a meekly manner. I was pretty sure my cheeks were flushing by now.

 

“It’s okay!” He replied in the most melodious tone I have ever heard.

 

I was screaming in the inside. I had a sudden urge to talk to him more, but I didn’t know what to say! All these years I’ve lived in a closet with no one to talk to. My eyes start to twitch until it catched what he was holding. A camera too?! I knew at that time we were meant to be together. I need to start a conversation before he disappears.

 

“Oh, so you also like photography?” I asked while pointing at his camera.

 

“Yeah, but I’m fairly new though. You want to look at some of my pictures I recently took?” He replied. I nodded quickly.

 

I was excited, but that grin slowly faded as I saw his polaroids. They looked atrocious, none of the pictures were at the right angle or were just completely cut off. I was a perfectionist, so I naturally tend to be really strict. Spotting my straight face, I can tell he was nervously laughing. Oops, I didn't mean to!

 

“Yeah, I know. I’m still not used to taking pictures,” he said.

 

“It’s okay,” I paused after that. After the short pause I said, “Do you want me to teach you how to take pictures then?” I was so nervous after saying that, that I wanted to end myself. Just end everything.

 

A thousand thoughts raced in my head as if Einstein came through. I knew I should’ve kept quiet, and thought that now I’m definitely going to lose my chance of at least being his friend. Sudden bolts of fear came through my body in fear of rejection. Of course he wouldn’t say yes, I am nobody. I died even more, but of happiness after.

 

“Sure! I could use some help,” he replied.

 

“Okay.” I said. I wanted to beat myself since that even if I am an emotional person, I don't tend to physically show it. Just 'Okay'? One of the reasons why I hated myself. “I’m Siwon, what’s your name?”

 

“I’m Kyuhyun.” We shook hands after. Waaahhhh, those hands were so velvety— is he even human? 

 

I slowly put the palm of my hand up close to my face of astonishment as a joke as if I touched the hand of God, and successfully made Kyuhyun laugh. That eased me a little since I was the type of person to do dad jokes that not even my friends could snicker about. For God knows how much time we spent on the park, I taught him on how to take proper pictures with the camera. The outcome already improved significantly until he didn’t really need my help much. Kyuhyun is a fast learner, I gotta say. After a couple of hours, we decided to wrap it up. I fully enjoyed every single second of that.

 

“Do you want to walk around then?” I asked hesitantly. The lingering feeling of rejection still filled up my mind. I am nobody. Everything I happily had was always gone at the end. Now that we’re done with the park, Kyuhyun will also be gone and it’ll just be another dream. I braced myself for the outcome.

 

“Sure!” He happily agreed. Somehow, all the negative feelings that I had dropped and for the first time in my life, I felt calm. We just met today, but yet I thought we had known each other for ages. I’ve never felt this happy with anyone I have ever met. This is also the first time in a long time enjoying a conversation with someone, a human being that I actually want to be with! Those brown doe eyes and glowing complexion just makes me want to melt. I couldn’t help but to stare at Kyuhyun, he just seems too perfect.

 

It IS too perfect.

 

As we walked down the sidewalk, nervousness started to creep up in my veins again. This doesn’t feel right somehow, but I think this is just paranoia kicking in again. On second thought, yes, this is too good to be true. Quickly, my mind began to race. I haven’t even known this person until today. All I know about him is his name. Of what do I gain from this either, Kyuhyun is obviously too good for me. I’m nothing. This shouldn’t be right, this could be a trap. This is too good to be true, this must be a prank show! I’ll just be taken advantage of and end up as an alcoholic like Edgar Allan Poe. This could be a dream, a very vivid one and I need to wake up! As these thoughts repeatedly cloud my already manic mind, I start to stare at a distance, just emotionally and physically spacing out, not realizing that I stopped walking. Couldn't even feel the ground beneath me. I snap back to reality, Kyuhyun's voice becoming louder by the second. He firmly grabs my shoulder.