1.5. Interlude: Making a Call

The Photographer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You really should visit your poor mother more often.”

“We’ve been working on our next comeback. The pressure to do well is high,” he explained apologetically, voice low and somber.

I sighed at the expected response, shaking my head—not that he could see through the phone call. “Mom understands. Don’t let this old woman’s complaints get to you, I know you’re stressed. I just miss my little boy.”

“It’s okay, you’ve finally got a daughter to replace me with instead,” my son joked. “Your little boy’s finally grown up a little.”

I cracked a fond smile. My sweet, sweet son—always trying to make his mother laugh, easing my worries over him.

“Don’t say that. You know I love you.”

“I know, mom. I love you, too.” I could hear his voice hitch slightly, making me frown briefly, before I tutted.

“What happened to my baby being all grown up?” I teased. “In my eyes, you’ll always be my baby boy. I’ve always been proud of you, my wonderful child. So don’t let the pressure get to you, use it to fuel your music.”

There was a pause to the conversation, a stuttering deep breath being taken on the other side of the phone. I glanced out into the light-speckled night view of Busan. Youngah was constantly admiring the cityscape on the balcony, that silly girl. I could hear her light snores from my own room, chuckling inaudibly.

I loved them.

Of course, my son is and always will be my only child, and my baby boy. Bu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter