prologue ;

The Cruise

How Seokjin and Jaehwan met, it was kind of typical. They were both freshman at Kyunghee University. Coming in from Anyang, which wasn't too far from Seoul, Seokjin decided to move into the dorms. Jaehwan didn't want to bother his parents anymore, and to gain some independence, he moved to the dorms as well. They were roommates.

 

Seokjin sighed as he dragged his luggage into the dorm room he would be living in for his four year stay at the university. He looked around, noticing he was the first to arrive before his roommate. The room was a little smaller than he was used to, but he didn't mind. He decided to take the bed on the right, dragging his luggage with him. There were drawers under the bed, so he started to unpack his belongings. Just as he was folding some of his socks, the last of his clothing, his roommate entered.

“Oh, you're here! Nice to meet you, I'm Lee Jaehwan!” The (abnormally) tall man greeted, a wide grin on his face. Seokjin stood up after tossing the socks into the drawer, closing it with his foot, before bowing to the other man. Like Seokjin, his hair was blond. Only Jaehwan's hair wasn't bleach blond, his hair was more of a sandy colour. He bowed politely.

“Nice to meet you, I'm Kim Seokjin.” Jaehwan waved his hand lazily before entering the room more with his luggage.

“No need to bow, we're the same age!” Seokjin nodded his head, then shrugged. Jaehwan plopped onto his bed, testing the bounciness. He then looked up and over at Seokjin's side of the room.

“Why do you have so much pink stuff?” He asked. Seokjin felt the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. Back at home he was always teased for his liking of the colour. Jaehwan only blinked at him, not really noticing the inner dilemma his new roommate was going through.

“I just like it. Got a problem?” He grit out. Jaehwan blinked, before holding his hands up dismissively. He pulled one of his suitcases towards himself, opening it.

“I don't care that you like pink, I was just curious. If it helps,” he pulled out a few plushies. Seokjin recognized them right away, because who doesn't like anime? “I am obsessed with Tony Tony Chopper from One Piece.” He said with a wide grin. Seokjin instantly felt better. Over a course of a month, they learned more about each other. Kim Seokjin was from Anyang and loved the colour pink so much he had to wear one article of clothing in the colour at all times. He was also a really good cook. He was studying business. Like Seokjin, Jaehwan was also studying business. He was from Seoul but wanted to be independent. He was an amazing singer, and he was constantly making everyone around him laugh. Seokjin was glad that his roommate didn't make fun of his laugh, like a lot of his peers did back at home. Before they knew it, the two had become best friends.

 

When the two of them met Junghwan, it wasn't as cliche as their meeting. The two best friends were coming back from a party when they saw a smaller man huddled in front of their dorm room. Seokjin had recognized him as one of the residents of the room across from theirs. He had bleach blond hair, his knees pulled up to his face as his arms were wrapped around him, and it was obvious to the both of them that he was crying. Jaehwan was drunk as hell and Seokjin wasn't looking any better, but they decided to approach him anyway.

“Hey, dude, whatcha doin' there?” Jaehwan asked, his words slurring. The blond on the floor sniffled as he looked up, eyes red and puffy. Tears staining his cheeks. Almost immediately, Seokjin had sobered up, his motherly instincts kicking in. He knelt down beside the crying man.

“Ignore that idiot.” Like his words, Seokjin ignored the indignant 'HEY!' coming from his best friend, and instead focused solely on the smaller man. “What happened? Are you okay?” The smaller man sniffled, his wide eyes closing as he moved his hands up to cover his face and let out a small sob. This caused Jaehwan to sober up a little. He also knelt down in front of him.

“I-I... I...” The man sniffled between his words, stuttering from the aftershocks of crying so hard that was evident in his voice. “I was kic-kicked out..” His voice was shaky. Seokjin and Jaehwan shared a look.

“Why were you kicked out?” Seokjin asked after a moment of just listening to the man sniffle and cry. He uncovered his face and looked at the both of them, and after a moment, fresh tears slipped down his cheeks.

“You will hate me too if I tell you...” He pulled his sleeves down and gripped at them with the tips of his fingers, bring his palms up to rub away his tears. Seokjin wanted to hug him, but they didn't know each other. What if the other man screamed and kicked at him?

“It's hard for me to hate anyone. Look,” Jaehwan reached over and pat the crying man's head. Seokjin bit his lip as he watched the interaction. “We wanna help. Can't help if you won't tell us what's wrong.” Sometimes Seokjin forgot that Jaehwan was a bundle of love and sunshine underneath his dumbness. He sometimes forgot that Jaehwan was a guy that loved animals, making people smile, and helping others whenever he can. He can be pretty selfless, sometimes putting others before himself. Even though he was sure that Jaehwan was probably ready to pass out at any given moment, he wanted to help this poor crying man. The chubby cheeked male sniffled, looking at them both with a contemplative look on his face.

“My.. roommate kicked me out because...” he sniffled once more, looking down. “He found out I am gay.” He mumbled out. Seokjin felt a wave of disgust course through him. But no, it wasn't at the man in front of him. It was at the unknown roommate. What was this, elementary school? Hello, the 1950s called. They want their homophobes back. He looked over at Jaehwan, who looked as if he was also having the same thought train as himself. The smaller man felt upset at their lack of response, and he buried his face into his knees again.

“I'm sorry, you can leave me alone if you want I know I'm disgusting I'm sorr-” He stammered, his voice cracking and shaking as he trembled, panic evident in his body language.

“No, shut up.” Jaehwan stood up. “I mean, don't shut up. I meant, like, stop. We're gay too.” Seokjin stood up with his best friend, and held out a hand to the other male. He had a small smile on his face. The one on the floor looked at them both, red eyes wide with fresh tears ready to spill. But he felt he could trust them. He felt he could befriend them.

“Come on, come sleep in our room. I'll cook breakfast in the morning!” Seokjin said, his smile widening. The other man looked at them both, but a moment later his shaky hand grabbed at Seokjin's and he was pulled up. He gave his door a glance, before entering Seokjin's and Jaehwan's dorm room. That next morning, Seokjin's hangover was so bad he decided to stay in bed. The two besties learned that the new roomie was a good cook as well, and as a thank you gift he cooked them breakfast and helped them stay hydrated throughout the day.

 

They had learned that his name was Lee Junghwan (“OUR NAMES OUR SIMILAR!!!” Jaehwan exclaimed the next morning, despite the hangover he had) and he was studying to become an accountant. He was from Busan, his accent was adorable. He was an amazing singer. There were many times when Seokjin would return from doing personal errands to find the two of them having some sort of karaoke showdown. He often joined them, because he was also a really good singer. They didn't care about the complaints they received from their peers on the same floor. Despite the fact that Junghwan could have moved to a completely different room, he joined the two of them. They combined their beds together, basically creating a queen sized bed. It wasn't as uncomfortable as it looked, even if Jaehwan was a giant and Seokjin's shoulders were broad, Junghwan somehow managed to squeeze in the middle of them and they hadn't had troubles with this arrangement throughout their four years in university. Junghwan eventually did gather his things after that first night, Jaehwan and Seokjin acting as his personal bodyguard. Junghwan was embarrassed as hell, insisting he didn't need 'bodyguards', but they didn't listen to him. Jaehwan even decided to make Junghwan's old roommate uncomfortable by squeezing the smaller man's when they were leaving, leaving both Junghwan and the old roommate red in the face. When they returned to their room, Junghwan had slapped Jaehwan repeatedly with a slipper, much to the amusement of Seokjin. Almost instantly he had become a part of their lives and the three of them were inseparable throughout their stay. Seokjin doesn't even want to imagine what his life would have been like if he hadn't met these two idiots.