to get back home

when we talk of love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Are you two ready to go?" Jonghyun hummed, fixing Seonhwa's laces before checking if the both of them had their packed lunches.

"Yeah," Minhyun replies, bending down to hold Seonhwa's hand, the little boy doing a small salute while nodding. "Are you staying in again?"

"No, have to run a few errands for an article," he sighs, shaking his head. "I can fetch Seonhwa on my way back, though."

"Great, I might be home late anyway," Minhyun adds, fixing his crooked tie.

"So for dinner..."

"Curry!" Seonhwa chimes in, fixing his hat.

"Curry it is, then. Have fun at school, Seonhwa. Stay safe, you two."

Minhyun hums in response, double checking his appearance using the mirror by the entryway before opening the door for the two of them, stepping out and muttering a 'see you later' to Jonghyun. It felt nice, having someone send you off and greet you when you come home from work. It felt nice, having someone else in the apartment, having someone in general just existing with you. It's odd, since he's known Jonghyun since sophomore year of high school and he's never made a big impact in his life until they got together junior year of college. Even when they broke up, Minhyun thought he'd be fine and function just as normally as he did before. They are 27 now, and their relationship only lasted a total of two years and eight months (and twenty-three days, but who was counting, right?); it shouldn't be hard to get back into routine even after the two months are over. But somehow, as he sends Seonhwa off before heading towards his office, he feels as though this time, it won't be that easy.

And it terrifies him.

--

It's been a week since Jonghyun and Seonhwa had started to live with him and, albeit it was his idea in the first place, Jonghyun's presence both puts him on edge and at peace. He was busy preparing for a presentation for the board of directors the coming week that he hasn't had the time to bother with the other's presence the past few days, until a knock came and his concentration was cut.

Normally, he'd be angry. Pissed off at the slightest bit of human interaction that he had to face whenever he was busy working. But who could get mad when the moment he turned back, he was faced with Jonghyun in his fluffy turtle-patterned pyjamas bearing tea and pastries?

Jonghyun set the tray of goods down on his bedside table, the boy moving towards him and resting his hands at the back of his chair, peering over his work. "You best get some sleep," he hums, absentmindedly running his hands through Minhyun's hair. "It's 3 am and it's Seonhwa's play tomorrow. You told me you'd sub for me, remember?"

"That's not supposed to be until Thursday."

"It is Thursday," Jonghyun replies, managing to chuckle at his loss of sense of time. "You okay?" He asks, the word baby at the tip of his tongue, biting down at his bottom lip just to ensure he doesn't slip up.

"Just peachy," Minhyun groans, taking off his glasses and setting them on the table, leaning back on his chair and moving to reach for Jonghyun, holding him in a half embrace as he rested his head on Jonghyun's middle. "What time does the play start again?"

"10 am. Do you want me to go instead? I can still cancel my plans. You should rest, you're taking time off for this so maybe you should rest instead?" Jonghyun doesn't mind the sudden affection--he knows Minhyun's tired and against his better judgement, he indulges him. He continues to run his fingers through Minhyun's hair, humming softly as he waited for the other's response. He only needed to visit a few more sights to finish his article, and it isn't due for another half a week. He could cancel his plans and go another day if it meant he could get Minhyun to rest, but a part of him knew the other wouldn't take up his offer. He already promised to take Seonhwa and, though his heart ached at the memory, he knew Minhyun never breaks a promise.

"It's fine," he hears him reply, pulling away from their position to roll over to his bedside table and take a sip from the tea Jonghyun had brought in--Chamomile, he notes; he really wants him to sleep--a low groan escaping his lips soon after. "I already told you I could. I can rest after the play, it shouldn't take long, right? I'll take a nap with Seonhwa after, don't worry about it."

"If you say so," Jonghyun hums, moving towards the door. "Well then, good night, Minhyun. Please get some rest already."

"I got it, mom," he teases, smiling into his mug as he takes another sip from the tea. It hits the spot and, after indulging himself in a late night snack, he moves to wash up and go to sleep. He really couldn't say no to Jonghyun (and this happens even during occasions where the word 'no'already left his mouth).

--

They're being domestic. They're returning to their routines. They're making their presence bigger in each other's lives again and it's all so terrifying.

Seonhwa had become a part of their little routine of getting up at 7 AM, washing up and having breakfast (Jonghyun's in charge of breakfast so Minhyun's in charge of making sure Seonhwa washes up properly) until eight, taking their time with cleaning aft

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter