|Chapter 1|

Dear Friend

In the spur of a moment, years of love and happiness can be forgotten.
Seems like it’s inevitable as with time, we change in order to achieve one’s expectations. We begin to lose a part of ourselves. The part that knew what real happiness was.

All that remains now is just a bitter sadness....

It’s has been said that fate could be both kind and cruel. And everyone knows not to interfere with destiny’s choice at hand.
But Perhaps... A selfish wish is the key that can rewrite things over.

“In Loving Memory is Seo Kang Joon. Age: 24. An Angel who parted from us  too soon.”

It seemed as if it was only yesterday when he was making his usual lame jokes over some irrevelant topic. That if you’d listen closely , you would be able to hear his sweet contagious laughter from a mile away.
However... 5 years. It’s been five years since that fatal accident. And although it’s been so long ago, It’s something that has yet to be forgotten. They could all still remember the day so vividly. Recall that stinging sensation of losing a close friend, a feeling that no words could describe.

Eunji was, once again, pausing only a few feet away from his tombstone. Her eyes lingered silently on the large front as she outstretched her hand to brush off the accumulated snow. Her cheeks and nose had already grown numb and flushed from the harsh weather yet she didn’t seem to mind. Besides, That coldness which nipped her skin was what reminded her of that day.

“It’s just me today.” Though the words leave a bitter taste in , her lips manage to smile slightly. There was so much she wanted to tell him. So much she needed to tell him. Yet felt strangely dry and the words failed to form.
Dang it Eunji get a grip.” She muttered this this under her breath, completely frustrated with herself. After all, she had made a commitment, a  vow to speak with him. To let him know... Her grip tightened around the letter in her hand. He had to be the first one to know, yet opened then closed as she contemplated whether today was the time to do so.

Was it really ok?

Suffocated.

That’s how Jongsuk felt as his throat tighten and enclosed, barely allowing a glimpse of air to flow through his lungs. He couldn’t breathe. Why couldn’t he breathe?

“It’s eating you alive isn’t it?” A hollow deafening voice echoed through his head. His body shriveled in anger at the familiar tone.“The guilt. It’s devouring you.” The voice lets out a hoarse laugh and Jongsuk’s body tenses as he feels a shadow’s presence draw near.

“SHUT UP. “ Jongsuk’s teeth clench and his eyes flicker around him only to be met with empty darkness.

There’s a pause before the voice speaks up again “Are you’re giving up? Are you going to do nothing?” This question angers Jongsuk however his lips remain sealed. “Try HARDER. ” The voice seems to harshen.

“The hell do you want from me? “

“Haven’t we already been through this
before? I’m nonexistent. You the one driving yourself mad. Prosecutor Lee. I’m only in your head. So do something. Wake Up.”

...........

“Prosecutor Lee Jong Suk. Wake up”

.............

LEE JONG SUK

Finally after what seems an enternity, HaeIn is relived to see his friend’s eyes flutter out of trance at the sound of his call.

Jong Suk’s dazed eyes focus and stare up at the univitated guest , the owner of the new so- said voice . Jung Hae In was leaning causally against the doorframe, attention fixed upon him. Just how long had he been standing there?

“What?” Jongsuk’s expression scowled at the other’s intrusion.

“Wow.” HaeIn’s eyes widen, feigned hurt  flashed through his own features. “Is that all you’re going to say?”

Jongsuk takes a moment to exhale as his vision tries to adjust to his surroundings. He was in his office. He recalled that part; the part of him walking in there after one of his trials. However, did he pass out as soon he arrived? Lose consciousness?

His eyebrows furrow in thought then relax as he finally acknowledges his coworker. He glances at Haein then shifts his eyes to the door. “ Don’t you know how to knock?”

The latter ignores the remark with a shrug and approaches the other. “I knocked. There was no answer. Nobody’s seen you all day so something told me you’d be cramped up in here. “

In reality, he didn’t knock but  Haein finds its best to not mention the situation completely. Since that morning, Jongsuk had already seemed out it. He wasn’t acting like his usual self. And the reason Haein barged in was out of concern when he had heard Jongsuk’s ragged breathing from the other side of the door. If Jongsuk hadn’t woken up a second later, Haein would have surely called an ambulance .

HaeIn plays it off and approaches Jongsuk , his face grimacing as he points at the laptop which laid in front of him . “ Chief will surely have your head if he finds out you’re still looking into this case. “ He didn’t have to look at the screen to know what case had made Jongsuk so restless.It was THAT day after all. The day Jongsuk worked his off for the same endless project.

“I don’t give a crap what he does.” Jong Suk mutters and focuses his attention back to the screen.

“Ok OK. “HaeIn raise his hands up defeat and takes a few steps back as he decides to drop the subject.

“Further investigation of submitted case#4207 has been denied due to insignificant lack of evidence. Additional paperwork has not been found. Our commanding officer refuses to take further action. Please refer to our previous messages for our contact information.”


Jongsuk’s eyes scan once again  through the email . An email that he had already received far too many times.

“Are you going to do nothing?

Jongsuk tenses as the haunting words echoe through his head. It wasn’t like he was doing nothing. It’s just that every single lead headed him towards the exact same position.Nowhere.

His vision trails to a framed photo that was displayed on his desk. The group of seven friends smiled brightly at him. However, it didn’t ease his tension. The picture was only taunting him. Even now, he wasn’t able to bring any answers. He felt so useless. It was infuriating him.

He slams the laptop close and with a swift yank, Jongsuk loosens his tie. His fingers pinch the bridge of his nose as he mutters inaudible words of exhaustion.

He began to question why he still felt obligated to work on a case that was headed nowhere. Did he really feel obligated to find closure?

He proceeds to glance up at Haein and tosses a packet towards his coworker who catches it reflectively. “Make yourself useful.” Haein, who is completely use to this behavior, remains unfazed as he takes a brief look at the paperwork and skims through the pages.

“If it’s the enforcement that’s giving you difficulty this time, Then why don’t you just ask that friend of yours? The police officer? Gikwang, was it? Surely he’ll convince the patrol to get further input.”

Jongsuk suddenly becomes quiet. The last thing he wanted was the others to know about this. Especially since he had yet to get answers.

“You still haven’t told them?” Hae in’s eyebrows rise in amusement. There is silence as Jongsuk refuses the answer the question completely and begins to click through several files in his computer. “ The reason those idiots won’t do anything is because of that bastard.”.

HaeIn’s eyebrows furrow in thought as he tries to understand. “You mean our Chief? You think he’s been tipping them to keep their mouth shut?”

A bitter laugh escapes Jongsuk’s lips. “Wouldn’t be the first time that bastard tries hiding something.”

“But still .... for Chief to be keeping this up for 5 years... it doesn’t seem like him. It really won’t be worth his time.”

“What about the Chief?”

HaeIn’s interrupted by a new bell like voice joining. A girl , with a short black haircut, pops her head into the room, it was Leanne, the main office’s secretary. As in the so-said Chief’s personal advisor.

“Doesn’t anyone know how to knock?” Jongsuk groans in frustration and flings his paper to the side.

Haein pulls off his most polite smile as he tries to usher the secretary out. “He’s had a tough day. Let’s leave him alone for now.”

However the secretary refuses to budge and she hold her ground. “I was sent here by Chief orders..” She looks firmly at Jongsuk. “Your father wanted me remind you about the meeting this evening. “

” That man isn’t my father.” Jongsuk’s words cut her off curtly. This causes Leanne to huff and stomp her way further into his office.

“Like it or not he married your mother. So grow up and have some respect.” Jongsuk’s eyes widen at Leanne’s harsh behavior. He’s completely baffled since she was years younger yet dared to speak to him like that.
Quickly Regaining his composure, Jongsuk’s demeanor changes as he too approaches her. He meets Leanne halfway, his body clearly towering over hers. For a second it seems like the secretary is at loss by his intimidating aurora yet meets his gaze with a firm look of her own.

Jongsuk forces a smirk, however there was no humor in his eyes. “I would had already fired you if it weren’t for-“

AHAHAHA

HaeIn’s abrupt laugh cuts Jongsuk off. A clear attempt to ease the mood. “ He’s only joking! We’re all good friends here.” Haein smiles and gently tugs Leanne towards the exit. He manages to ease her just outside of the door “Evening meeting? He’ll be there. No worries!” 

“He better! The new interns will be attending and if he doesn’t show-“ She’s cut off mid sentence as Jongsuk slams the door close.

Haein sighs at the other’s behavior. “You can’t react like that every time someone sides with the Chief.”

Jongsuk ignores him by pretending to be distracted with the scattered paperwork. Haein, expecting the latter’s stubbornness, sighs once more and reaches for the door handle. “I better go after her before she files a complaint. Yah. Lee Jong suk. At least make an attempt to show up. Alright?”

Silence.

“Grieving or not, you can’t keep this up. You won’t go far if you try to cope with this alone.”

Jongsuk tenses but before he’s able to snap a remark, he’s met with an audible clicking sound of the door. A confirmation that Haein had left.

“Good riddance.” Jongsuk rolls his eyes, feeling somewhat refreshed by the now empty space.However, HaeIn’s last words were only adding onto his splitting headache.
As if on cue, his phone vibrates....It was text message.

From: Group of 7 

Eunji- “Let’s meet.”