Of sunflowers and yellow tulips

Blame the Tulips
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

-

It’s just 7am in the morning and Jaemin is already up. He was tasked to pick some roses for the day because his older brother had exams and they need to deliver fresh red roses to the town for the upcoming Bloom’s day- a festival in their town to thank the flower goddess Persephone for the rich harvest. Not that he was complaining though.

 

 

Jaemin loves staying in the flower field, he loves seeing the ray of beautiful and breathtaking flowers. They make his mood go up. Their scent, their vibrant colors, Jaemin loves them.

 

 

His parents are caretakers of the Lee’s flower farm, and he grew accustomed to helping them whenever he can. Taking care of flowers isn’t that hard, and Jaemin thinks he’s quite talented at doing so.

 

 

He wordlessly picked up his hat, his basket and a pair of scissors before exiting their house located in the middle of the field. The sun was already up and Jaemin can’t help but smile, his sunflowers would surely love the weather. It was just the first week since spring started. He personally loves that season, because other than the flowers, the school gives them a month break too.

 

 

He skipped towards the row of roses, just a few meters from his house. “Good morning roses! Today is the day that some of you would be delivered to the town, isn’t that lovely? You’ll help a gentleman win over his lady, or a kid making his mother smile. That’s a huge honor.” He greeted before starting his task, humming to a song he heard over the radio.

 

 

It didn’t take him a while to finish, he only needed 3 dozens anyways. He picked his basket up and skipped back to his house, stopping on the wooden table just outside his house to clean out the roses and wrapping them around with some newspaper. He needed to deliver them too, but the smell of eggs and sausages being cooked inside their house made him set aside the roses.

 

 

He’ll deliver them later.

 

 

 

 

 

A loud screech was heard from outside the house making Mrs. And Mr. Na rush to see what was happening. Their eyes widened in horror when they saw their youngest son on the floor weeping, a pool of rose petals on the ground and a young man around Jaemin age holding 4 dozens of empty stocks.

 

 

“WHAT THE DID YOU DO? WHO ARE YOU AND WHY DID YOU RUIN MY FLOWERS?” Jaemin screamed furiously after he recovered from the shock. He just went to eat breakfast and when he came back he found this guy picking out all the petals of the roses like a merciless pig.

 

 

The boy looked back at him, an eyebrow raised towards Jaemin’s questions. “Your flowers? The last time I checked, they’re mine.” He coolly responded.

 

 

It made Jaemin’s blood boil more. “You dip! Do you know how much that cost?” He glared the boy who just chuckled at him.

 

 

“How dare you call me that? Don’t you know who am I?”

 

Jaemin rolled his eyes, ofcourse he knew who he was. He’s the most stupid and annoying jerk Jaemin had ever met. He didn’t have a name for him though.

 

 

The boy saw that Jaemin had no intention to respond, so he looked around, gesturing all the flowers around them. “I’m the owner of this land. I’m Lee Jeno, the youngest son of Lee Donghae.”

 

 

 

 

“I don’t ing care if he’s the son of the owner of the farm, he didn’t have the rights to ruin my flowers.” Jaemin grimly muttered as he sip in his glass of lemonade, wanting to cool his mind off.

 

 

He was sitting in the plaza’s one and only cafe after his deliveries with his childhood friend Donghyuck. He asked the boy to accompany him again. Donghyuck’s bike is bigger than his and he didn’t have the mood to drive his own bike.

 

 

Donghyuck is a son of a maid at the Lee’s mansion, and the moment he mentioned about Jeno to the tanner male, he immediately agreed to Jaemin’s request. He said he wanted to rant about the older Lee too.

 

 

Turns out Jeno wasn’t the only in their family. Jeno’s older brother, Lee Minhyung wasn’t any nicer according to Donghyuck’s narration of how Mark (he told Donghyuck to call him that) literally dumped grease unto the tiled floor of their mansion just to make Donghyuck clean all over again.

 

 

He didn’t want his mom to be the one to finish the Job because she was pretty sick and Donghyuck took her job for a couple of days.

 

 

“Well evilness runs in their blood I guess. I wonder how they became that rude though, Mr. Lee is such a kind man. Why can’t they take after their father.”

 

 

Jaemin stopped drinking from the straw of his drink, realizing something. “Well, what if… what if they’re just wanting attention Hyuck? You know Mr. Lee is a businessman, he might be a good person but he probably isn’t a good father. I mean, he’s always here right? And it’s the first time we ever saw those two here. Meaning, he wasn’t with his kids for years.” Jaemin explained, pity and sympathy washing over his annoyance.

 

 

He’d read a lot of stories about children rebelling against their parents and being rude to other because they’re not getting the love they deserve. He bet the Lee Brothers are one of them.

 

 

Donghyuck just watched his friend’s sad face before rolling his eyes. “I know you have such big heart but sometimes, you being kind to others is pissing me off. You’re too good for this world Nana.” Donghyuck commented, chugging down his drink.

 

 

Jaemin ignored him, already thinking of ways how he could change Mark and Jeno, especially the latter.

 

 

 

Jeno was boredly playing chess against himself when heard something hitting his window. He immediately got up from his bed to check only to see a cheeky Jaemin waving below. His room was located on the second floor of their mansion.

 

 

His brows furrowed as he opened the sliding door towards the balcony of his room. “What do you want mud face?” He asked, not wanting to waste any more time dealing with the younger male.

 

 

Jaemin frowned slightly at the nickname that Jeno gave him but he immediately recovered and brought his smile back. “Can you come down for a minute? I wanna show you something.” He pleaded using his puppy eyes he learned from his manly hyung, Yuta.

 

 

Jeno was hesitant at first, but he figured he was bored anyways and following the brunette would be better than staying in his dull room.

 

 

He signaled Jaemin to wait, rushing to get his hoodie and wearing it on top of his shirt before going out of his room and tiptoeing his way out of their house. He saw Jaemin slightly trembling because of the thin clothing he was wearing.

 

 

He really is an idiot.

 

“Where are we going?” He asked, curious of what the younger has to offer.

 

Jaemin smiled at him before tugging his arms towards a the flower field. Jeno just let him, he wasn’t scared of the petite male anyways. Despite being a couple of inch taller, Jaemin’s body is way thinner than Jeno. And Jaemin doesn’t look strong either, Jeno could easily take him down if ever he acts suspiciously.

 

 

The brunette led them to the southern part of the flower field which he never saw in the three days of him staying in the place. That part of the flower farm is where the pot plants are located, they aren’t for sale so Jeno guessed they were just random leafy plants.

 

 

But boy he was wrong.

 

 

Because there he was, mouth agape at the sight of a series plants with pearly white petals. The buds opening up towards the moon which gave the whole area full illumination. The huge pots were lined towards the pathway of the pavilion which Jeno never noticed before. The plants were tall, almost taller than he is, and their flowers that were as big as his fist were hanging on top of his head.

 

 

Jeno thinks it’s the prettiest thing he have ever seen in his life.

 

 

“They’re pretty right? ‘ They’re called Queen of The Night because they only bloom at night. They follow the light of the moon, like how the sunflowers follow the light of the sun. Both are pretty special to me, they’re the prettiest.” Jaemin muttered, clear fondness evident in his voice while he guided Jeno towards the dimly lighted pavilion.

 

 

Jeno didn’t say a word and just followed the younger.

 

 

The pavilion was a bit old and dusty, there is a couple of tattered leather chairs that were thankfully clean. They sat there wordlessly.

 

 

“This pavilion had been here even before I was born and isn’t being maintained because it too far from the mansion itself. I think Mr. Lee forgot about this too, but my mother said your grandparents used to stay in this pavilion a lot when they’re still alive. They planted those Queen of the nights too. I wanted to show it to you because this place had always calmed me and eased my worries.” Jaemin started off. “For three days, I’ve been observing you and you seemed annoyed at every thing that comes into your sight. You’re so full of anger for some reason I can’t figure out.”

 

 

Jeno looked at him, different lights flickering through his orbs. He looked like he was hesitating before he backed his gaze away. “Mind your own business.”

 

 

Jaemin sighed. Jeno always sounds like the Grinch and it’s not even Christmas yet. “Do you know Hades?”

 

 

Jeno turned back to him in curiosity. “The God of the underworld? Satan?’

 

 

Jaemin giggled. “Silly, Satan isn’t even a God. He’s an angel cursed by God. But yes, Hades is the God of the Underworld and he isn’t Satan because gosh, that’s two different mythologies okay?”

 

 

“Whatever. What about him?” Jeno asked once more.

 

 

“Well have you heard about his and Persephone’s love story.” Jaemin excitedly asked, he was already picking up Jeno’s attention. The older shook his head and it made Jaemin frown.

 

 

“Seriously? How can you not know that when this town even celebrates Blooms Festival to honor Persephone?” Jaemin complained which made the older roll his eyes once more.

 

 

“Can you just get on with what you want to say?” He boredly yawned, burying his cheek into his palm as he waited for Jaemin to start speaking.

 

 

“Well you know. Hades kinda hates everyone since he was tricked by his brothers and got dumped into the underworld. He’s cold, heartless they say. But one day he saw Persephone picking flowers and you know what happened? He kidnapped her and brought her to the underworld to make her his queen.” Jaemin chuckled, recalling how silly the myth is to his ears.

 

 

“Demeter, Persephone’s mother got mad and came to Zeus. She kind threatened him that she won’t grow crops until her daughter comes back. They agreed that Persephone would go back to Demeter for 6 months of the year, and the rest would be her spending it in the underworld. That’s why he ave springtime and winter. Do you know that Persephone eventually fell inlove with Hades? The Goddess of colorful and pretty flowers falling in love with the cold-blooded king of the dead?” Jaemin asked in amusement.

 

 

The story always fascinated him. The Goddess of flowers’ beauty could enchant even the heartless Hades.

 

 

“That’s why I brought you here. You’re always mad, you’re always rude at peo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter