Just Another Day At Work

My Cowgirl - Woohyun

Seconds counted down as the number on the analog clock increased one, triggering your alarm, repetitive beeps cut through the blissful silence of the night. Moving your arm away from the entangling grip of your husband, you extended your reach to find a small button to silence the beeps. Retracting your arm backwards, your hand rested on his arms that encased you, your fingers slowly brushing over the light hairs across his forearms.

Turning over slightly, you pressed your lips against his cheek before your fingers slid in between his. Lifting his arms away from your figure, you slid out of his hold and sat on the edge of the bed. Watching him fuss for a second or two at the amount of space between his arms. Sliding a pillow between his arms, he wrapped his arms tightly around the pillow while nuzzling into it.

Standing up from the edge of the bed, you stretched your arms upwards while you moved towards the closet. Pulling some chocolate colored breeches from the dresser drawers, you slipped into the tight, almost yoga pant-like piece of clothing. Wiggling yourself into them, you clasped and zipped them on yourself before filing through your many polo shirts. Picking a teal polo shirt, you tucked the bottom hem into your chocolate colored breeches. Grabbing a pair of boot socks, you headed into the bathroom as you did your morning routine without a second thought.

Pulling your hair up into a high ponytail and fixing your outfit so that it is both functional and fashionable. Shuffling out of the bathroom, you made your way over to the side of the bed as your husband was still cuddling with the pillow between his arms. Running your fingers through his longer hair, you leaned down and placed a kiss against his temple.

“Have a good day, I will see you later today, Woohyunnie” You whispered before sealing your words with another kiss.

Padding out of the room, you paused momentarily as you looked back at your husband still sound asleep, a smile curled on your lips falling in love with him a little more. Closing the door behind you, you headed into the kitchen as you poured yourself a glass of juice. Checking the apples, you found a few soft ones as you slipped those chosen few into your duffle bag.

Making sure that you packed your helmet, you slipped on your boot socks, pulling them all the way up over your calf until they ended just below your knee. Grabbing your well worn tall boots, with the black leather turning into a dark navy blue. You slid your feet down into the foot bed of the tall boot. The leather flaps wrapping around your lower leg as you zipped them closed, hugging your legs perfectly, creating a second skin for yourself.

Sipping your juice, you leaned against the countertop, the bright sun peeking over the horizon as light began to seep in through the large windows and cast its light across the original hardwood floors inside your quaint farmhouse. Placing your emptied glass in the sink you grabbed your duffel, your heels clicked across the hardwood floor as you exited out the french doors leading out to your backyard.

Traveling a little ways out, nickering horses called out to you, hearing the brush crunch and crackle under your feet. Setting down your duffel bag in the tack room, you walked through the barn, greeting a good morning to all of the horses while their heads hung over the edge of the stalls.

Once you were through the barn, you took a left and headed over to a large structure, pulling on a rope, you tugged the garage door upwards, revealing bales of hay stacked expertly on top of one another. The sweet smell of the hay bid you a good morning as you climbed the bales to pull three bales from the top of the stack. Watching them tumble towards the opened garage door, you counted three bales before you made your descent towards the ground. Loading the three bales into a small trailer attached to a four wheeler, you mounted the four wheeler and started the engine. Pulling around, you cut the twine and began to give two flakes to each horse, their heads dropped down to grab their breakfast as snorts and whinnies begged you to continue feeding so all six horses got their breakfast.

Once you finished feeding in the barn, you pulled out of the barn and checked all of the fences, making sure that when you turned out the horses that none of them would get injured or that they would escape.

Parking the four wheeler back in its rightful place, you grabbed a wheelbarrow and a muck fork as you headed into the barn and began to muck all of the stalls inside. Removing the fecal matter and the wet spots in the bedding, you added more bedding, bringing all of the bedding into the middle of the stall, the horses naturally spread out the bedding to accommodate their needs.

Moving from stall to stall, the hours ticked by as the horses finished off their breakfast and you finished up with mucking their stalls. Allowing the horses a little more time to finish up, you pulled the four wheeler around, unhooked the feed trailer and replaced it with an arena dragger. Heading into the arena, you tilled up the sand and broke up any flat or rough spots that were present.

Parking the four wheeler outside of the freshly dragged arena, you dismounted the machine as you began to carry standards and ground poles into the arena. Plotting out a highly diverse course to test and challenge the horses that you would ride today. With bounces, oxers, swedish, verticles, bending lines and a grid of fences, you exited the arena and mounted the four wheeler again.

Traveling back over to the barn, you pulled out the first horse that you would ride that day, Dee. Using each of the different types of brushes on him, you made sure that he was clean before you started placing the saddle pad on his back. Followed by the saddle and then tightening the girth, you grabbed your helmet and placed it on your head before you grabbed his bridle. Bridling your mount, you walked him out of the barn and into the arena.

Lining up the mounting block to his side, you climbed on his back as he stood still and waited for your cue to walk on. Allowing him to warm up his body, you gathered your reins slightly as you moved up into the trot and then the canter. Testing him and fixing little things along the way. Dee worked with you and adjusted to your wishes as you moved his body in different ways to see what would work and what wouldn’t.

Deciding that he was listening enough, you set him up for a small fence, allowing him to straighten and head towards the fence. Sitting up tall, the two of you happily worked together and leapt over the fence. Rounding him into a corner and pointing him towards another jump that was slightly higher, you were aware of his actions to see how he would handle the taller height. Sailing over that one too, a bright smile curled on your lips as you continued to make up a course and test him and his limits.

Happy with the results from your ride, you released your grip on the reins as your fingers played with the buckle of the reigns while Dee stretched out his neck down and out, allowing his rapid breathing to slowly subside. Sweat coated his shoulders as the warm sun reflected off of the sweat moving across the worked muscles.

After his breathing had returned to normal and his muscles felt cool to the touch, you dismounted and walked him back to the barn. Unbridling Dee, you slid the halter back on before you pulled the saddle and saddle blanket from his back. Grabbing an emptied bucket with cool water, you soaked a sponge in the water before you lifted the soaked sponge and ran it along the spine of his back. The water ran down his ribs, following the curvature of his body as he his lips happily.

Removing all of the excess water from his body, you turned him out into a small outdoor paddock so he could dry under the sun’s rays. Heading back into the barn you moved down the line of horses, Kashmir, Boo, Cherokee, Tax, and Finn.