Chapter One

Byun Baekhyun, King of Mochiland
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun blinked his eyes open softly, his mouth stretching wide to yawn. The sun had already let itself into his room through the sheer, light blue curtains, forcing him to squint his eyes as he looked around the bedroom. He scooted himself up on his bed, fluffing the big pink pillows behind him so they'd be more comfortable to rest against, and pulled the warm covers back over his head. Mmmm ten more minutes won’t hurt, he thought. But just as he’d begun to shut his eyes so he could slip peacefully back into his dreams, the door to his bedroom was creaked open.

 

“Your Highness…?” was the tentative call that came from across the room. With the smallest sigh, Baekhyun removed the blankets covering his face and sat up again. He had hoped to be able to squeeze the utmost amount of sleep before he began his day. His mood brightened however, when his eyes landed on the vast amount of breakfast carried on the tray in the hands of his advisor.

 

“Come on in, Junmyeon,” Baekhyun said, another yawn interrupting his sentence halfway. His gaze stayed on the strawberries in Junmyeon’s hands even as he rubbed the sleep out of his eyes. Trailing behind Junmyeon was one of the maids with a little table to rest on Baekhyun’s lap as he ate. Once that was set down, Junmyeon began to lay each of the dishes on it one by one. This morning’s breakfast included milk, various pastries such as chocolate croissants, danishes, scones, muffins as well as the essential plate of Mochiland’s famous mochi and a bowl of strawberries, their stems already removed. The maid excused herself as Baekhyun began digging in, motioning to Junmyeon to sit down at the edge of his bed.

 

“What’s the agenda for today, Myeonnie?” The advisor gave Baekhyun a pleading look before clearing his throat. Baekhyun stifled a giggle. Time and time again Junmyeon had asked him not to call him by that nickname but the reaction it gave made Baekhyun break this small rule every so often. Not only that but Baekhyun couldn’t help but want to ease some of the formalities he held with his advisor, the person he was closest to in the palace.

 

“There’s the signing of the agreement to the new community garden and the designers need your opinion on the color scheme for the library renovations.”

 

“Nothing else?”

 

“No, Your Highness.”

 

“Hmm… then maybe…could we make a cake?”

 

“We can most certainly have a cake prepared for you in no time! What flavor would y—” Baekhyun’s sigh cut him off. “Is something the matter, Your Highness?”

 

Baekhyun bit into another strawberry before replying, “I wanted to make the cake myself.” The king’s bottom lip jutted out in the poutiest frown. Junmyeon struggled to stutter out the rest of his refusal to the request at the sight of it.

 

“Uh—er…I mean y-Your Highness if—with some help… maybe it, uhm, may be possible for you to uh…”

 

“It’s okay, Junmyeon. Don't worry, it was just an idea I had.” He finished off one of the chocolate chip muffins on his plate. “Forget I mentioned it.”

 

Suddenly, the advisor stood up from the bed, a fiery look of determination in his eyes. “Your Highness, I will make preparations for your cake baking immediately. Of course it will have to happen after your schedule and as long as you aren’t too tired but—What cake shall I gather the ingredients for?”

 

“Strawberry Shortcake?” Baekhyun answered, grinning from ear to ear, making the mochi cheeks loved by everyone in all of Mochiland prominent and turning his eyes into little half moons beneath his eyebrows.

 

“It shall be done at once.” Junmyeon left the room with a bow and closed the door quietly behind him, leaving Baekhyun to finish the rest of his breakfast.

 

Junmyeon sighed. He had told himself that he wouldn’t be so quick to give in to all the wishes of the young king. Of course, this proved to be quite a feat because the king looked so, so happy when he was allowed an extra half hour of reading before bed, or when he was allowed to ride across the lake in a canoe, or in this case, bake a cake. Especially after the death of Baekhyun’s parents, it was important to him—and really the entire kingdom to see their precious Mochi King happy.

 

Back in his room, Baekhyun had carefully put the few remains of his breakfast to the side and begun about getting himself ready for the day. He entered the tub which the maids had already meticulously prepared with strawberry scented bubble bath, and lounged about or a little while, making sure to scrub his skin clean and wash his face. He was so glad that Junmyeon had long since allowed him to bathe unsupervised, as the advisor used to be insistent that Baekhyun had someone to help him whether it was just to scrub the part of his back he had trouble reaching or making sure that his hair was absolutely, one hundred percent dry before getting dressed (the king could under no circumstances have the misfortune of catching a cold).

 

Baekhyun appreciated everyone’s efforts, he really did, but some things were no longer necessary for others to do for him. As the water turned tepid, he got out and dried himself off thoroughly with a towel before putting on his bathrobe that was hung on a hook.

    

As he reached his closet, Baekhyun sighed at the sight of the maid waiting patiently to dress him in his robes. Nonetheless, he made sure to smile at her before standing without moving too much unless she asked him to. He was dressed in pale yellow robes that brushed the floor, adorned with a golden sash and his crown, studded with diamond, aquamarine, amethyst, emerald, and pink garnet. He thanked the maid and walked down to the office where he knew Junmyeon would be waiting for him with some of the petitioners for the garden, doing his best not to get distracted by all the pretty relics that adorned the palace halls.

 

“Ah! Your Highness, you're here! Please, sit.” He could feel Junmyeon’s eyes rake over his hair briefly, as if determining whether each strand of blonde hair was dried to perfection.

 

Baekhyun sat down behind his desk and took one of the pens in front of him into his hands. It was his favorite pen. His mother had given it to him and it had the Byun seal engraved on the golden bodice as well as a cute strawberry topper which Baekhyun used to click the pen open and closed.

 

“All you have to do is sign here and here, and place your seal here and then we’re all good to go.” His advisor said, pointing at a few spots on the sheets of paper the king had already been reading through. Baekhyun did as he was told, signing here and there, placing his seal in the little box provided, and soon enough, he was all done.

 

“Thank you very much, Your Highness,” a simply dressed man, George, who owned a produce store in the kingdom said. He bowed.

 

Baekhyun shook his head slightly, reaching out a hand for him to shake. “There’s no need to thank me. It was obvious that a new community garden was an excellent idea, thank you for bringing it to me.” The man’s smile grew brighter and he bowed once again on his way out of the office. It always made Baekhyun happy to help his people and see them happy. It made him feel as though he was truly doing good for Mochiland, an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter