Something New

I Wanna Be
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hwa was aware that her blonde hair made her stand out against the hordes of girls with dark hair. She hadn't meant for her hair choices to draw so much attention to her; too much attention made her uncomfortable. To avoid the looks she recieved from her soon-to-be co workers, she bent her head and averted her eyes as she made her way to the orientation room. 

Finally, she said to herself when she reached the room.

It was small and filled with tiny uncomfortable looking chairs.

Hwa scanned the room, looking for a space in the room where there were few to no people. Once she spotted a perfect spot, she quickly secured her seat. The supervisors had not yet begun orientation so she pulled out her phone, not at all expecting any text messages or alerts. Low and behold, she had no alerts. But to avoid looking lost, she unlocked her phone anyway and played a game. After a few boring minutes passed by, she sighed and crossed her legs. 

Crossing her arms over her chest, she did a quick sweep of the room. Everyone there was young like her. And...they all appeared to have friends already. She watched as they chatted excitedly, waving their hands around in excited motions. For a moment, it saddened her that she wasnt able to make friends as easily as they seemed to be able to. It just wasnt in her nature. It took Hwa a while to make friends. It took her longer to trust others. And for good reason. 

She'd done good, she figured. Despite being bullied in high school for two long and relentless years, she'd grown to be a pretty alright girl. The last two years of high school she made changes in her life so that she'd never be bullied again. The girl who used to push her into lockers caught a right hook in the jaw; the girl who called her names, after witnessing what happened to her friend, ceased her name calling. Sure, she had trust issues but, who didn't? She refused to be a victim ever again. 

Hwa was pulled out of deep thought by the deep voice of one of the supervisors. She put her phone in her back pocket, accepting the orientation paperwork that was being passed out. She'd come this far in the job process but still didnt know exactly what she was going to be doing. She knew that it had something to do with phones. When she applied for the job she didnt think past the money she would make. She was starting back to school soon and just wanted to make some extra cash. 

"If you all would turn to the first page of your handouts," the man up front asked. 

The first part of the orientation lasted for two hours until they called for a break. A sinking feeling filled the pit of her stomach as she watched everyone walk out, laughing with their friends. The only thing worse than being lonely, is looking lonely. So, she stood up straight and walked out of the door and made a beeline to her assigned locker. She didnt know what she went there for but if it made her look like she was busy, it worked. She settled for pulling her sweater out and heading for a table to sit at that no one else was sitting at. 

She again pulled out her phone and opened her snap chat app. She had a few snaps from friends she wasn't close to. And most snaps were ones that were already on their story. She clicked through her friend's stories, acting very interested. When she looked up from her phone, she saw another girl sitting at the table in front of her, also alone. Not that seeing someone by themselves made her happy, but it was still nice to see that she wasn't the only one who didnt have anyone to hang out with. 

On a whim, Hwa got up from her chair and cautiously walked over to where the girl sat. She took a seat across from her and coughed quietly under her breath. The girl looked up from her phone at Hwa and smiled nervously. She had long, dark brown hair and very pretty brown eyes. 

"Hi," the girl said. 

Hwa smiled and replied, "Hi, I'm Hwa Young, but everyone just calls me Hwa, like Huu-ah."

"My name's Ji Yun, nice to meet you." 

Hwa nodded, "So, do you know anyone here?" 

Ji Yun shook her head, "No, I just chose to work here because my sister does.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter