Make a Wish

Come Away

Time seemed to pass like honey trickling off the back of a spoon. Each second felt like an hour, and each hour felt like a small eternity. When the last afternoon meeting finally wrapped up by 4:45, Eric felt as though he had already lived half a dozen lives throughout the day.

“Great work today, Eric. Great work.” His boss, Tim, shook his hand at the end of the meeting and despite himself, Eric couldn’t help but grin in reply. It had been with one of their biggest clients to discuss the marketing scheme for the author’s newest fantasy novel. Eric, inspired by recent happenings, had suggested holding an event where people could meet ‘fey folk’ at the bookstores and speak to them about their world in the context of the story. It was an unexpected runaway hit.


Eric ducked his head. “Thank you.”

“Honestly, where’d you even get that? A fairy meet-and-greet! It’s genius.” Tim waved his hands excitedly as he talked, and Eric resisted in correcting him on the differences between fairies and the fae. “We’ve had so many books published under that guy too! Really a job well done. You saved us all from at least two more brainstorming sessions.” He clapped Eric on the back. “We should go for drinks later after the meetings to celebrate.”

“Actually…” Eric saw the opening and seized his chance. “I was wondering if I could leave by 5 today.”

Tim’s expression stretched into a long frown. “Oh? What’s up?"

“I have to pick up Andy from school. We got into a little fight this morning and he wanted our cousin to pick him up, but I figure I have to be the one to. Dane wouldn’t be able to come anyway.”

Lying had never been his strong suit, but he could make do with partial ones. Dongwan could, of course, pick up Andy if absolutely necessary. Today was actually an off-day for his cousin and he was sleeping at home, but Eric needed a distraction in case Hyesung didn’t show, and picking up his brother and attempting to make peace was a good one as any.

“Oh of course, of course.” Tim said, nodding understandingly. In his worse moods, not even their being on the verge of dying would convince him to let them leave the office at a decent hour until all their activities at the office were finished, but on good days like this one, he occasionally let them off the hook. He also understood Eric’s situation of having to suddenly become a pseudo-parent and gave him leeway when it was needed, even though it was a privilege Eric rarely called upon. “You’d better go then before the trains get jam-packed. Let’s do the drinks next week then when all this has blown over.”

An inward sigh of relief. He wasn’t sure how he was going to handle it if Tim had said no. Mentally, he had already checked out, not wanting to stay within the confines of his office for another second.

“Sure, and I’ll get them when we do, to make up for this. I’ll head off now…”

(Goosebumps rose on his skin as he glanced at his watch: it was already 4:52, and images of Hyesung from that morning had already flitted through his mind more than once, sending his heart skittering. Will he be there?)

“If you need anything, I’ll be online.” He said as a last bit of assurance for his boss. Tim, however, didn’t look concerned.

“No worries. Hope the commute won’t be too bad. Take care, Eric. Hi to Dane and Andy!”

He waved him goodbye and Eric finally set off, grabbing his things before proceeding to the elevators. His body was buzzing with nerves as the elevator made its slow descent from the 28th floor, occasionally stopping and letting passengers get on or off. By the time the doors opened into the lobby with a soft ding, Eric was so nervous he felt he could puke.

Will he be there?

“Oh my God, get a grip.” He muttered to himself, exasperated at his own behavior. Already he could partly see into the office driveway just beyond the glass doors of the lobby, but so far saw no sign of the fae. His initial excitement quickly deflated as the reality of Hyesung’s true nature set in once more. Short of dragging his feet, Eric made his way towards the exit with his fists clenched, on the way commencing on giving himself a pep talk to prepare for what he was sure would be disappointment.

It’s highly possible he won’t be there. Why? Because he’s Hyesung. And he doesn’t owe you anything, and you don’t really have any special reason as to why you should meet, and…let’s face it, you’re boring, and you keep insulting him, and keep pissing him off, and you keep asking him questions he doesn’t want to answer…

“What are you doing, Eric Mun?”

Hyesung’s voice cut through the din of the afternoon crowd like a lightning bolt, and Eric jumped. Swiveling his head towards the sound, his gaze landed straight on the fae who was no more than five steps in front of him. Hyesung was leaning against one of the stone plant boxes on the driveway, his legs stretched out and crossed at his ankles, and his arms crossed loosely over his chest. He’d changed his shirt from the pink he’d worn that morning to one that was the color of a bright summer sky. Coupled with his wind-tossed hair and a pair of sunglasses that were perched on his nose (Fae Bans? Eric almost laughed at his own joke), he looked a cross between a prep brand print model and a cat basking in sunshine.

(At the sight, Eric’s heart caught in his throat and his chest felt so light and oh God what the hell is this feeling)

“Yes to everything you said.”

“What?” Eric said, still not able to believe his dumb luck. Was he grinning? He raised a hand to his face. Yes, he was.

Hyesung made lazy gestures in the air with a free hand. “To that litany you were saying. You were muttering so loudly I could hear you from here.” He counted off with his fingers. “It’s true I don’t owe you anything, and there’s no special reason why we should be meeting, and yes, you are quite boring, and you keep insulting me and making me angry, and asking questions I don’t want to answer…”

“But you’re here though, aren’t you?” Eric cut him off, still grinning. “You’re here.”

Pink roses bloomed on Hyesung’s cheeks and he spluttered, “Well you asked, didn’t you, and I’m bound to you, aren’t I, and you should really just thank me that I even bothered, Danu almighty—”

Without really any plausible explanation, Eric rushed forward and half-hugged, half-tackled the fae, the surge of strange fondness and relief washing over him entirely. He was glad Hyesung had come when he had nearly convinced himself that the fae wouldn’t. He was genuinely happy that Hyesung was there.

Eric didn’t even flinch when Hyesung pushed him back violently, his eyes glinting like stones. The markings by the fae’s eyes flashed under the golden afternoon sun.

“If you do that again,” Hyesung said, sounding almost breathless,it will be the end of you.”

“And risk Junjin in the process? You still owe us a Favor.” Eric nearly stuck his tongue out. Hyesung’s warmth wrapped around him like smoke, his scent still in every breath he took. “Since you’re here…” he felt his brazenness surface once more, now that he was face-to-face with the fae, “do you mind giving me a ride?”

He was sure it was a death wish, provoking Hyesung the way he was doing. Part of him was sure he would be a rump roast or someone’s toenail in the next minute, but the rest of him was having too much fun watching as at least ten furious expressions took over the fae’s features in rapid succession, like a flick cartoon. 

What?” Hyesung looked like he was about to slap him but for some reason, Eric only found his anger amusing. “Insolent mortal, do you know whom you’re speaking with? I have half a mind to throw you into the Bog right now.”

The threat wasn’t convincing as Eric didn’t even know what ‘the Bog’ was. “Just this once. It’s for Andy. He’s at school and he’s been waiting for either Dongwan or I to pick him up, and I don’t want to keep him waiting any longer.”

“I am not a mode of transportation, you wretch.”

“I won’t ask you again, ever. I swear.”

Eric was highly aware he was borderline flirting the way he delivered the line, with his lower lip jutting out just so and him making soulful eyes at the increasingly irritated fae. He knew himself this much. He didn’t try to stop it, however, because that, honestly.


“I could leave right now and let you deal with your own problems.”

“But you won’t.”

“Do not test me, Eric Mun.”

“You would have already left if you really wanted to.”

Hyesung glared at him and initially opened his mouth to shoot back a reply but ended up clamping it shut as no words came out, pressing his lips together in a thin line. Eric’s heart gave a triumphant leap in his chest.

“You can meet Andy too,” he threw his brother into the bargain, knowing Hyesung would at least be interested. “He’s a nice kid. And he’ll probably stick to you like glue because he’s still steaming at me.” A stab of guilt from that morning’s argument made him wince. Andy’s patience was long but once crossed, it was difficult to make amends with him. Eric was sure the fae’s presence would be more helpful than if he showed up with no one at all.

Hyesung made a face at him, his lip curling up slightly. “You were horrid to your brother. You should be more careful with your words around the youngling. Words carry immense power.”

“Hey!” Eric bristled at the remark. He didn’t need for anyone to lay the guilt on thick for something he was already ashamed of. “I never meant to be mean. And you probably fight with your brothers too.” He was still wrapping his head around Hyesung’s age. The fae was seven hundred years old, and Minwoo was even older! If he and Dongwan had been stuck together that long, he was sure they would have already fought on the first day.

“We avoid using verbal attacks, however.” The fae lifted his nose almost snootily. “Magic is less chaotic and leaves less blood on the tapestries. At one instance Minwoo made a very pretty hat in time for the Princess Dwarf’s wedding.” He grinned as though reliving the memory. “It was wonderful.”

“I’ll allow you to insult me in front of Andy if you come.” Eric wasn’t giving up. “C’mon, come with me. Andy will be happy to meet you.”

Hyesung looked to be internally debating with himself when he finally sighed and gave Eric a dirty look, as though blaming him for his decision.

“Fine.” The fae huffed. “I’ll do it for Junjin at least. He’s rather fond of your brother.”

“Where is he?” Eric looked glanced behind Hyesung, as though expecting to find Junjin hiding among the gardenias.

“Training with Father. It’s his turn. Minwoo’s keeping watch.”

“Ah, so that’s why you’re on babysitting duty.”

“Trust me, I would rather hex myself with boils than be here with you.”

“Harsh. But you changed clothes as well.”

At this, Hyesung looked partially ashamed. He ducked his head, long fringes of blonde hair spilling into his eyes as he muttered, “…I spilled that golden sauce on myself.”

“What?”

“The ones that you put on those tubes of meat that’s nestled between bread.”

“…You mean mustard? And hotdogs??” Eric almost laughed, but stopped himself when he saw Hyesung’s murderous expression. “And you really had to change? Couldn’t you have magicked the stain away or have used Tide to Go?”

“I desired a change in wardrobe anyway.” Hyesung shrugged as he tugged his sleeves upwards, the weather far too warm to wear them down. “Mind you, I will require another of those hotdogs. Or several. You are paying for everything, Eric Mun. It’s a meager price for my companionship and my obliging to your request, you presumptuous mortal.”

(Price or prize? Eric was so giddy he could barely speak)

“Eric Mun. Are you listening?”

“Yes of course…”

Unable to help himself, a smile so big his cheeks almost immediately started to hurt crept across his face as the realization that he had been granted Hyesung’s company for the day sank in. His excitement at the opportunity could barely be contained, but he managed to pull himself together enough for the fae to not notice his giddiness.

“Whatever you say, little prince.”

                                                             

-|-

 

Again!”

A wave of heat barreled towards him, a thick wall of fire and energy that Junjin raised his arms to shield against, and which he managed to, at the last possible second. A giant, shimmering blue sphere formed around him and just barely managed to block the inferno headed towards his direction, parts of it being absorbed into the shield where the two forces collided. With a rebel yell, Junjin released the absorbed energy as a focused firebolt, smaller than the fire tsunami he had been up against, but with at least a third of its power.


It disappeared as it neared its target, his father, who stood at the other end of the training room with his arms crossed. With a wave of his hand, the firebolt disappeared, and Junjin collapsed to his knees, gasping. His entire being felt as though it was inflamed, and the sudden use of such strong magic left him with no strength in his legs.

“Choongjae, what in Danu’s name are you doing?”

The young fae flinched as he raised his hand in apology. He knew he had committed an error but he hated being told off for what he already knew. He couldn’t tell his father that, however.

“I apologize, Your Majesty. That was an error on my part.”

He hoped it would be enough to placate his father, but the King, despite his gentle nature, sometimes had moods that could rival even Hyesung’s, especially when it came to their training. He braced himself for the possibility that he was going to get a talking to as, with a whoosh, his father Shimmered from his spot to where he was, still trying to regain his breath.

“That was extremely careless.” The King’s tone was firm and had a ribbon of disappointment lacing through it. “Your shield was seconds too late. Any later and you would have been grievously injured. Where does your mind wander now, hm?”

Junjin lay on the floor, staring at the underside of his father’s jaw. Although under normal circumstances it was against protocol to be in such a position before either the High King or High Queen, the private training the King and Queen gave their sons was an exception, especially if they were alone. “It wanders not, Father,” he responded, still lightheaded from the sudden exertion of his powers.

“I beg to differ, my youngling prince.” His father arched a finely sculpted eyebrow at him and offered him a gloved hand. “On your feet. That is enough for today. I do not wish for any mishap to befall you during training; your mother will have my head on a platter.”

Shame at his father’s dismissal coursed through Junjin like a river, but underneath it all, also a strong undercurrent of relief. He had not been released early from training since his first few lessons at least a century ago. The King was as shrewd a teacher as he was a ruler and was not one to allow them to shirk their training, most especially if they had been in error. But Junjin knew his heart was not in the sparring sessions, and things may come to serious harm if they continued. From the way his father was looking at him, he probably knew this as well.

“No, my King,” Junjin attempted to refuse the command to save face. “Let us continue. My focus will not waver.”

His father gave him a wry smile and gripped his shoulder. “Enough, Choongjae. You are incapable of finishing this session.” His words made Junjin wince, the disappointment in his tone more upsetting than anything else. He would have preferred to be slapped, but that was not his father’s style. “I will expect to see you at dawn on the morrow for a second bout, and I trust that by then, your mind would have been cleared.”

It was a command, not a request. “As you wish, Your Majesty.”

He watched as the King turned to gesture at Minwoo who stood at the far end of the room, watching. In the next moment, his eldest brother had also Shimmered to the spot beside him, face impassive and hands clasped behind his back.

“Minwoo.” The King regarded his eldest with a sideward glance. “What did you think of the youngest prince’s sparring session?”

“The footwork was wrong, and the timing for defense was insufficient. The offense, in turn, was weak. Overall, it was reckless and disgraceful, Your Majesty.”

“HEY—” The words stung, despite their truth. Junjin frowned at his brother but Minwoo paid him no mind.

“Your brother and I are of same mind, therefore any anger at him is misplaced and is also anger directed at your King.” His father’s tone, initially gentle, took on a harsher edge. “Beyond today, this recklessness will not be tolerated, Choongjae. Do we have an accord?”

“Yes, of course, Your Majesty.” Junjin kept his gaze downward, ensuring that he showed his shame.

“Good. Minwoo, I will see you in a moment. We have a treaty with the Nymph Lord to discuss.”

“Yes, Your Majesty.”

Their father’s departure was announced by the sound of his booted foot scraping against the stone, and then the grunting of the training room door as it was opened and shut after his leaving. It was only then that Junjin lifted his head, and Minwoo found it the right moment to cuff his brother.

“Must you?!” Junjin whined, holding the back of his head to ease the throbbing. “I’ve already had an earful from Father!”

“He was resisting from soundly beating you, you imp.” Minwoo said exasperatedly. His voice lowered to a hiss. “Did we not agree that Hyesung and I will only allow you to go Aboveground if you do well in your training? At this rate you’re better off telling Mother and Father what you’ve gotten yourself into rather than us having to help your thick hide.”

“Hyesungie can’t even execute his power correctly and you’re having a go at me?”

“Silence, you brat.” That earned him another cuff. “You still speak of your older brother. And Hyesung is never careless. You, however…Junjin, you nearly got yourself killed! You know Father does not hold back.” Despite his ire, worry was evident in Minwoo’s voice. “You were sufficiently distracted.”

“And yet I did not perish.” Junjin still found the strength to grin at his brother, confident in currying Minwoo’s favor. He tugged at his brother’s sleeve the same way he had done when he had been much younger, when it had been much easier to manipulate both the older princes. “Allow me a visit to the Aboveground and I can ensure you, I will astound Father at the next sparring session.”

This had been an issue for some days now, since they had been forced to remain in the Kingdom in order to not raise any suspicions about any of their joint disappearances. He had nearly rendered his brothers deaf begging them to allow him to cross the border. Junjin was not only about to go mad from cabin fever, but he was also highly worried about Eric Mun’s younger brother, the boy Andy. At night, his sleep was fitful and in his dreams, he could hear Andy calling out to him plaintively, but he always found himself frozen and unable to respond. It broke his heart to hear Andy’s cries and he was always jolted awake by the boy’s call, as though it could reach him beyond the borders of their two worlds.

He needed to see Andy, just to see if he was all right; viewing him through the all-seeing crystals was not enough.

“Brother, please.

Minwoo, ignorant of his turmoil, shook his head. “No. Father may already be growing suspicious. You are already performing below standard as it is. If he finds out that we’ve gone Above without his leave…”

“Then why is Hyesung there?” Junjin’s skin crawled with infuriation as he spoke.

“Hyesung is there because he is perfectly capable to handle the two mortals by himself.”

“It’s my Favor!”

“Have a care to whom you speak, Choongjae.” Junjin was aware his tone had changed to that of someone seeking an argument, and Minwoo threw him a warning look. He took a deep breath and regained his sense of calm, bent on convincing his brother. It would do none of them good if he and Minwoo fought now.

“How then should I grant the Favor from afar? You had stated yourself you had wanted it done before Samhain. Hyesung cannot grant the Favor for me.”

This logic seemed to work with Minwoo, but he tried to not let it show. “Attend the training session tomorrow and do well, then I may allow you a visit.”

“Allow me the visit then I will attend all the training Father and Mother want done, and earn their praises. I will swear to it. Father will not suspect a thing.” Junjin thumped a fist upon his chest for emphasis. “I swear.

Minwoo narrowed his eyes at him, a sure sign that he was getting irritated or was about to give in to his demands. When the older fae blew out a breath forceful enough to almost sound like a groan Junjin knew he had been victorious. His eldest brother hated losing as much as he did.


“Get out of my sight now and get to it, then.” Minwoo said, grimacing as Junjin tackled him in gratitude. “OW! Get off me at once! And don’t you dare not meet up with Hyesung to do any other nonsense or I will put a tracking spell on you. Both of you will come once I Summon or by Danu, there will be Hades to pay. If you are late by even one second for the training tomorrow—”

Junjin bowed at his brother repeatedly as he made his way out. “Yes, my lord brother, of course, your gracious Majesty, I will follow as you command.”

A boot came flying towards his direction as well as several hexes, all of which he deflected perfectly with ease. Minwoo shouted several curse words at him that would have earned him a whipping if their Mother had heard, and Junjin wished he was able to capture the scene in an all-seeing crystal to send up to their parents.

There will be other times, he thought, focus now starting to divert to the more important matter at hand. His powers by then had nearly been restored to their full potential and so he was already transforming as he rushed down the training corridor: fair skin turned to glossy black feathers, manicured nails into sharpened claws, and rose-pink lips into orange beak. He didn’t bother watching out for anyone as he leapt out of the nearest open window, enjoying the warmth of the sun on his back and the sensation of his bones being stretched as he spread his wings in flight.

He was so elated to be given reprieve that he briefly considered just Shimmering into the Above, but that was a thing so foolish that he dismissed the idea seconds after he thought of it. He was still recovering from the training; Shimmering into the other realm would surely kill him. What mattered was he was finally on his way.

Andy, was all he thought as he flew out towards the horizon, where the Underground met Above. Here I come!

 

-|-

 

Hyesung required being fed before he Shimmered anywhere. He said it was because Shimmering took a lot of his power to do, especially in New York which was already a horrible enough place to begin with.

“Too much iron.” Hyesung muttered as he bit into his seventh hot dog. “How you mortals can live here is beyond me.”


Eric watched, fascinated, as the fae, despite his grumbling, ate the hot dog in three large chomps, following it up with a noisy gulp of lemonade. He had also already eaten 2 large pretzels slathered with mustard, this time being very careful to not get any on his clothes.

“Weight Watchers would kill you,” Eric mumbled, wondering where the food went into the fae’s lean frame. His hair? He was still holding on to his own untouched hotdog. Somehow, just watching Hyesung eat made him full. He nudged Hyesung’s arm with his own. “Do you want mine?”

He grinned as the fae plucked the hotdog from his fingers without even giving a second thought. Before a word of thanks was said, that hotdog had also quickly disappeared. Eric had the urge to clap.

“That was phenomenal. My thanks, Eric Mun. That’s much better.” Hyesung said as he slurped up the last of his lemonade. He cleared his fingers from crumbs and straightened, pulling Eric up with him. “Shall we then?”

“That fast? You aren’t going to need like an hour of rest or something?”

“You jest.” The familiar feeling of glamour, cold and fluid like water, enveloping them had already started, and Eric could almost feel as the shadows of the nearby trees extended to shield them from prying eyes. Even the wind had seemed to pick up. Hyesung was not fond of dawdling, it seemed.

The fae leaned forward and whispered conspiratorially: “Make a wish?”

“What?”

They were standing close again and Hyesung was holding his hand, his fingertips cold and wet from the lemonade. Blood pulsed in Eric’s temples. Before he could react any further, the world disappeared into a dot, then seconds later expanded, and Eric found himself leaning against a brick wall, Hyesung leering at him with his face half-covered in shadow.

“Too slow, mortal, always too slow.”

Hyesung’s teeth glinted sharp as glass in the light, and for a moment Eric felt afraid and exhilarated all at once. His pulse thundered against the thin skin of his neck as he stared at the fae’s lips for what seemed to be seconds too long.

If I kiss him…

He was startled as a caw followed by a loud flapping suddenly sounded, and Hyesung abruptly pushed himself away from Eric. A small tornado seemed to form in the alleyway and kicked up dust and bits of trash. When it receded, Junjin stood in the alleyway with them, raising an eyebrow at both him and Hyesung.

“No need to stop whatever it is you were doing,” the younger fae said, smirking. Eric felt his face go red and he straightened, trying to calm his racing heart.

“Aren’t you supposed to be training? And does Minwoo even know you’re here?” Hyesung sounded almost angry.

“Peace, brother, of course he does. You may ask him yourself if you don’t believe me.” Junjin brushed off his clothes. He was wearing a plain black shirt, khaki shorts, and black Vans sneakers. Eric thought it unfair how the outfit on Junjin actually looked good, despite it being so casual and simple. Honestly, how could someone who was hundreds of years old still look like someone in his late twenties? It was absurd.

“I came to see to Young Master Mun. Minwoo had told me to be accompanied by you, Hyesung, but if you’re otherwise occupied…” He grinned at Eric, and Eric very much wanted to hit him in the mouth as his mortification grew. Hyesung, however, seemed unperturbed.

“What in Danu’s name are you talking about? We had also just Shimmered in when you appeared.” He frowned when Junjin walked over to them and threw his arms over their shoulders, leading the way out of the dank alleyway they were in.

“Never mind, brother. You wouldn’t know what I was referring to unless it turned into a snake and bit you on the ankle.”

“Junjin…”

The school quickly came into view. Apparently they had Shimmered into the same spot Eric and Junjin had when they had gone the first time. Since it was already a little past 5PM, there were no more children out, save for one little boy who was waiting behind the gates. When Eric recognized his brother, he shrugged both fae off and jogged towards Andy, who was being accompanied by his homeroom teacher, Mrs. Blackwell.

“Ah there we are,” Eric heard Mrs. Blackwell tell Andy as he neared. “Look, your brother’s coming now.”

Andy looked up, saw Eric, and frowned, crossing his arms tight over his chest. The sight of his brother’s rejection made Eric’s heart hurt. He definitely had some groveling to do.

“Mrs. Blackwell, I’m sorry I’m late.” Despite him having already informed the school beforehand of his tardiness, he still felt apologetic towards the older woman to have to take care of a child more than what was already asked of her. “Dane is also out or he would have picked Andy up. Thank you very much for watching him.”

“It’s all right, Eric. Andy was an absolute angel anyway, as usual.”

“Hey, Dee.” Eric tried to smile at his brother, but Andy turned his head.

“Little tiff?” she mouthed, and Eric nodded. She gave him a sympathetic smile. She turned to Andy as Eric helped scoop his discarded backpack up and fitted it over his own shoulders. “It’s pretty cool having a big brother like Eric, right, Andy? The other kids don’t really have big brothers like yours who works with authors and helps make books. That’s why he’s so busy, but he never forgets to pick you up.”

Andy paused as if to consider it, then shrugged which, to Eric, was better than nothing. He threw Mrs. Blackwell a grateful look for her efforts.

“I’ll see you on Monday then, Andy…oh! I think your brother even brought some friends.”

Eric turned and saw that the fae had caught up, choosing to stay a foot or so away from them, but still giving a friendly wave to the teacher, who waved back. Andy seemed to perk up curiously at the statement and peered out from behind his brother’s towering form. In a flash, Eric saw as his frown immediately disappeared and his face brightened when he recognized who it was that he had brought along.

“Junjin!” he shouted, and immediately rushed off to the fae.

“Andy!” Junjin yelled, looking equally ecstatic. Eric tried (and failed) to keep his jealousy at bay as he watched Junjin kneel and greet the boy with open arms, stumbling as Andy threw himself onto him with an enthusiasm he rarely showed him and Dongwan, let alone other people he barely knew. Beside them, Hyesung looked on, a mild expression on his face.

“Oh that’s so sweet.” Mrs. Blackwell cooed. “Are they your family too?” She was careful about the question, which Eric appreciated. She was aware of their whole history and he was glad she was sensitive about these things.

“Just friends. Family friends.” Eric said, even forcing a small laugh. He hoped he didn’t look too suspicious. “Andy likes Junjin a lot.”

“That’s good. It’s nice to see him socializing. Actually, Eric…” Mrs. Blackwell paused.

“Yes?”

“I didn’t want to worry you since school’s just started and Andy’s still adjusting. But how is he at home? Is he chatty or playful or anything like that?”

“Er…” Eric wasn’t sure why the teacher would ask. It was a difficult question as well because Andy in general was not a gregarious kid unless he knew the other person really well. “He is to me and Dane, but it’s normal. He may be quiet around the other kids, though. Is he being bullied?” His heart clenched at the thought that some punk would dare place a hand on his brother, and so he was grateful when Mrs. Blackwell quickly shook her head.

“No, not at all. I was just worried that he seems a bit lonely. He speaks to the other children, but he seems to be having difficulty engaging with them. Those are just my observations, however. And it’s only the first week. It isn’t affecting his studies, but…I’m just worried.”

Eric blew out a breath, feeling doubly guilty about arguing with his brother that morning. He was sure he just needed to give Andy some more time to adjust, but he likely had to talk with him just to make sure he was okay.

He smiled at the teacher. “Thank you for telling me, Mrs. Blackwell.”

“It’s no problem, Eric, and if you boys need anything, just give me a heads up, okay?”

“Bye, Mrs. Blackwell!” Andy was already perched on Junjin’s shoulders, held tightly in place by the fae who was grasping his waist. He waved excitedly at his teacher. “Thank you!”

“Bye, Andy! It was nice meeting your friends too.” Eric saw her blush as Hyesung and Junjin both gave her small bows. “You boys take care and have a good weekend.”

She dismissed them with another wave and Eric jogged over to where Hyesung, Andy, and Junjin were. Eric walked in between the brothers, keeping a careful eye on his own brother who bounced mercilessly in his seat. He remembered carrying Andy on his shoulders too not so long ago and felt a bit sorry for Junjin; the kid was not light.

“Deedee, come down first and walk with us. Have you met Junjin’s brother?” Eric said, careful to keep his tone light. Curiosity sparked in Andy’s eyes at his words, but the boy kept his silence, obviously not done being angry with him yet.

“Oh yes, I did forget that minor detail…” Junjin glanced up. Andy was clutching his chin, looking very much like an overgrown helmet with legs. He turned so they were facing Hyesung’s direction as they walked. “Young Andy, this is Hyesung, my older brother, the second prince of the Underground.”

At this, Andy looked slightly awed. His mouth dropped open a little as he stared at Hyesung.

“The protocol is you bow, but I am unfamiliar whether it’s also the custom for the Above…” Junjin was saying but was interrupted as Andy did bow, or at least tried to, nearly throwing them off-balance and giving Eric a minor heart attack. The fae quickly regained their footing however, and even managed to chuckle.

Careful!” Eric snapped, holding his hands out in case Andy would fall. Andy didn’t, of course, but it didn’t stop him from keeping his arms at the ready.

“Hello,” Andy said softly, still staring at the older fae. “I’ve never met a prince before.”

“And I have never met a youngling as perceptive as you. My greetings, dear one.” Hyesung smiled, it seemed, genuinely, and the sight of it made Eric’s stomach flip. “Young Master Mun is a vast improvement from this one,” the fae continued wryly, glancing at Eric. Eric rolled his eyes.

“Do you have any more brothers?” the boy asked, clearly more interested at getting all his unanswered questions resolved. Hyesung was fortunately a good sport.

“Only one more.”

“Is he older?”

“Much older, yes.”

“Where do you live?”

“In a faraway land called the Underground.”

“You mean the subway…?”

As he talked, Andy had started bouncing in his seat again unconsciously, possibly getting more excited with each question. Under normal circumstances, Eric would have already dragged him off, but he stood down, not wanting to add to Andy’s ire at him.

“Andy, please come down,” he said, sounding a bit firmer this time. He was equally concerned for Junjin’s shoulders as he was for his brother falling off by accident and cracking his head on the pavement, although the latter would definitely be much more traumatizing. Andy continued to ignore him, choosing to direct all his attentions towards Hyesung.

“Do you have magic too? Can you turn into a bird? Could you turn me into a bird?”

“Andy—” Eric started to say, knowing how much Hyesung detested being asked too many questions, but he was surprised when Hyesung himself waved him off, turning instead to face Andy as he approached the boy with his hands clasped behind his back and his posture a bit stooped. It made him look utterly harmless.

“Let us reach an accord, Young Master Mun. What say you to this: we listen to your brother and have you walk with us. As a consolation, you may answer me any question you would like, and I will answer to very best of my ability.” Hyesung smiled, gently this time, as though he was talking to a skittish animal. He held his hand out, and Eric saw as Andy turned to him in response, wordlessly asking for his permission. So his brother did listen after all.

Yeah go ahead. Eric cocked his head in approval, and Andy grinned, reaching for Hyesung’s hand without hesitation.

“Deal!” Andy said, one hand gripping Hyesung’s and the other still clutching at Junjin’s chin. He dangled his head so he was looking at Junjin but upside down. “Jinnie, could I go down please?”

“Of course, pest.” Junjin smiled and lifted him off, setting him gently down on the ground between him and Hyesung. Surprisingly, Andy immediately latched onto Eric’s hand, although his focus was all on Hyesung. It was a small gesture, but Eric’s heart warmed at it, especially since he hadn’t counted on obtaining his brother’s forgiveness until much later. He gave his brother’s hand three small squeezes, a secret code they had had since Andy was very young, and was relieved when Andy squeezed back, albeit nearly killing his fingers in the process.

(I love you)

(You’re a , but I love you too)

“I have a lot of questions.” Andy warned, and Hyesung grinned, looking delighted at the challenge.

“I will keep my word. Junjin will help me with some of the answers. Shall we then?”

“There’s a pizza parlor not far from here.” Eric offered. “Why don’t we grab something to eat and Andy can ask his questions then?” He glanced down at his brother. “You just have to remember to be very careful about certain words, okay? People might hear.”

Andy shrugged. “They’re just going to think we’re crazy.”

“Yeah but I’d rather not be the neighborhood loony.”

His brother rolled his eyes. “Fine, whatever, hyung.”

Both fae looked equally excited at the prospect of food. “If that is nourishment you speak of, I will not decline,” Junjin said, his lips. “I’m starving.

Eric snorted. “Do you guys have like four stomachs each or something?”

“Are you accusing the High Princes of the Underground as being gluttonous, Eric Mun?” Hyesung said, his eyes flashing dangerously, although his lips curled into a smirk. Eric made a face at him.

You said that, not I.” Great, he was adopting their speech too.

“Your city is a terrible drain on our powers.” Hyesung huffed. “It is no small wonder they had always warned us not to stay too long Aboveground.”

Eric was already starting to notice the small nuances in the fae’s expressions: the pouts, how he widened or narrowed his eyes depending on the emotion he felt, the soft hidden smiles he tended to wear when around Junjin and now even Andy. Secretly, he was glad his brother now had an opportunity to find out more about the fae, especially Hyesung. He may even get a chance to ask a few questions of his own…

And then what? A small voice in his head asked.

Where was this going to lead? He couldn’t possibly expect anything from the fae. It had already been made clear that their presence in their lives would be fleeting. Temporary sparks of happiness.

Happiness? The small voice in his head sounded a bit panicked now. Since when?

“Eric Mun.”

Hyesung’s voice shook him out of his reverie. Eric blinked and found all three looking at him expectantly, Hyesung already looking slightly annoyed at having been made to wait.

“Lead the way, Eric Mun. We do not have an eternity to wait on you.”

Lead the way.

Inside of him, something in Eric awakened, a small blossom of courage where there hadn’t been before. Lead the way…. Yes, maybe he should then.

“Yeah okay. Let’s go then,” he said, making sure to lock his gaze on Hyesung’s, who stared back at him with a curious gleam in his eyes. He grinned at the fae in assurance, laughing when Hyesung curled his lip at him in distaste. He fell in stride, however, once Eric started walking, matching him step for step.

Follow me.



tbc




Author's Notes
More Ricsyung, and finally SOME PLOT.

THAT IS ALL.

(Thank you to everyone who read and commented! I really appreciate them and it gives me material to work with when I get stuck! I think I've been stuck several times now but some of the comments gave me really good ideas to work with. ^^ You're all gems.)