One

Awkward [HIATUS]

            “Ready to go babe?” Daniel asks his wife Eryn.

            “Just about,” she answers as she finishes packing her suitcase. “Did you find someone to watch the kids after Jisung said he couldn’t?” she asks her husband.

            “You doubt me?” Daniel asks his wife with slight sarcasm in his voice. When he receives no reaction from Eryn, he decides it’s best to answer honestly. “I did but I will warn you now; he may be a little awkward at first when he gets here,” Daniel laughs.

            “Why would you ask someone who’d be awkward?” Eryn laughs.

            “He was the only one available,” Daniel shrugs. “Everyone else with kids was busy raising their kids,” he chuckles quietly.

            “So, you asked someone that doesn’t have kids to watch our children for three days?” Daniel simply nods.

            The couple finished packing their bags as they subconsciously waited for Daniel’s friend who was watching their three children. As they brought their luggage to the front door, getting ready to leave, the two adults are charged at by their three little ones. “Please don’t go!” the children plead to their mother and father.

            “We have to babies.” The parents’ hearts break at the sight of their babies not wanting them to leave.

            Soon enough a knock on the door was heard by everyone. “Who’s that?” the youngest asks.

            “The person who will be watching you and your older brother and sister while we’re gone; it’s one of your dad’s friends,” Eryn explains to her children the best she can but she wasn’t given much information to begin with. She didn’t even know the name of the person watching her children because her husband hasn’t told her.

            “Jihoon!” Daniel’s voice is heard as he opens the door. Eryn lets out a sigh of relief, having actually knowing the person watching her babies. “It’s been a little while! Thanks again for being able to watch my kids,” he thanks him as he leads him to the living room to meet his family.

            “Hey, good to see you,” Jihoon smiles back at Daniel. “Sorry I haven’t been around a lot lately to really hang out or anything,” Jihoon apologizes. “Been travelling for work a lot.”

            Shortly after Daniel and Eryn got married, Jihoon moved away to the States to study business. When he finished studying his three-year course, he moved back home to start his own business right around the time that Eryn and Daniel’s twins were born. He’s been busy with work ever since.

            “Let me introduce you,” Daniel smiles as the two of them reach the living room and now stand in front of the other four. Jihoon nervously twiddles his thumbs, hoping no one will notice. “You remember my wife, Eryn,” Daniel starts. Jihoon hasn’t seen Daniel and Eryn, or their children, in a long time so being available for a few days to watch the little ones was a first for him.

            “Of course,” Jihoon smiles at Daniel’s wife.

             “And these are our children; you know the twins Kaeden and Audrey. And this is our youngest Landon.”

            Jihoon crouches down to the kids’ level of eyesight and smiles at them. “Nice to meet you all,” the smile never leaves his face as he tries his best not to seem awkward. Jihoon specifically says ‘meet’ because he assumes the two older children don’t remember him very well. The three children all stand behind their mother; all three of them not wanting her to leave while Landon is also nervous about someone else taking care of him and his older brother and sister.

            “Kids, this is one of my best friends, so everything will be fine. You don’t have to worry,” Daniel sits on the floor as he speaks to his small children. Daniel turns his attention to Jihoon again, “Audrey and Kaeden are seven years old now and Landon is three.”

            “You’ve all grown so much,” Jihoon speaks, saying the first thing he could think of to say to the kids.

            “Alright kids, your mom and I have to get going now. We’ll miss you,” Daniel speaks as he extends his arms out for his children. Eryn does the same and the family comes together in a group hug.

            “Jihoon, Daniel wrote out everything you need to know; phone numbers for emergencies, allergies, and all that for you. It’s on the counter,” Eryn tells Jihoon.

            “Thank you guys,” he smiles to his friends.

            Daniel and Eryn grab their suitcases, say goodbye to their children once more, and leave for their vacation.

             “Hi,” Audrey quietly approaches Jihoon who still sits on the floor. “I remember you,” she smiles at the awkward boy. For seven years old, Audrey is a lot smarter than most people think for her age. She is often mistaken for being about ten because of the way she thinks and acts.

            “You remember me?” Jihoon asks her, sounding surprised. He hasn’t met the kids much, considering he’s been so busy and this is his first time meeting Landon. He’s met with Daniel, who brought his kids, to catch up every-so-often but he never thought that Audrey would remember him.

            “Yeah, we met a few times,” she says as she sits on the ground with Jihoon.

            “I can’t believe you remember that,” Jihoon chuckles quietly to himself, still in slight shock.

            “What can we do? I’m starting to get bored,” Kaeden chimes in.

            Jihoon thinks for a moment before speaking. “I saw a playground down the street. Do you want to go to the playground for a bit?”

            The children all cheer in approval as they race to the front door to put their shoes on. Jihoon gets up off the floor and follows, putting his shoes on as well.

            As everyone walks outside, Jihoon lets out a breath of relief, like he’s been holding his breath. He is still nervous around the kids because he hasn’t seen them often enough to properly know them well; he is also the only in their friend group that isn’t married and doesn’t have kids of his own to look after.

            “Jihoon,” Audrey interrupts his thoughts. He hums in question in response. “You need to hold Landon’s hand,” she quietly giggles as she tells her caregiver what to do.

            “Thank you for reminding me Audrey,” Jihoon smiles at the girl as he takes the three year old’s hand in his as they start walking down the street towards the playground.

            “Let’s go!” Kaeden cheers as he runs forward a couple feet before stopping and turns around to look at his siblings and Jihoon, waiting.

            “We’re coming,” Jihoon chuckles as he pauses for a moment to give Landon a piggyback ride. Once Landon is securely holding onto Jihoon, everyone continues walking to the playground that is now just a few feet away.

            “Let’s go play!” Audrey cheers as she catches up with her twin brother.