Hangover

Book II: Drunk

"How long has he been out?" Minhyuk asked. He and all the other members of their group were in Sungjae's room. Changsub sat sleepily in one of the gaming chairs and replied, "About seven hours now."

"Did you have to call her, hyung?" Ilhoon asked irritatingly.

"Yeah, hyung, I don't think that was a good idea," Peniel replied in agreement.

"It doesn't matter, I don't think he saw her anyway," Hyunsik backed up Changsub. "When did she leave?" asked Eunkwang, who was leaning on the door frame.

Just then, Sungjae flinched, his hand reaching for his head. "Yah! Don't make any sudden movements, pabo!" scolded Changsub. Sungjae hissed in pain, but still managed to ask, "Who left? What are you all doing in my room?"

"The doctor and manager-nim," Minhyuk calmly replied with the white lie. "Wha..what doctor? Yah! What's going on? Is this like a private party or something?" said Sungjae.

Changsub, Ilhoon, and Peniel's expressions changed. Their mouths open, ready to fire a round of scolding to their maknae. But Eunkwang stopped them with one firm, "Stop." Hearing that tone from their leader for the first time was enough to shut them up, even before a word was spoken.

Minhyuk ever so calmly explained, "Sungjae-ah, you hit your head and got knocked out."

"You were drunk last night and lost your balance while trying to stand up." Eunkwang continued.

"Daebak! I was that wasted? Jinjjaro?"

"Yeah, so you're sitting out tonight's MBC year-end event," Hyunsik said matter-of-factly. "Wae?! I'm fine, I can perform. It's not like I'm partially immobile like Changsub hyung was." argued Sungjae.

"We can't risk that," said Ilhoon. "You're lucky you didn't need stitches and your gash isn't obvious with all your hair," added Peniel. Sungjae tried to sit up, but the massive headache he had, prevented him to move more than he wanted to. He had no choice but to obey his hyungs. "Arasseo," he almost whispered.

"We're heading out to the event venue, Sungjae-ah. Food's on your desk. You're still not in the clear yet. Manager-nim wants a word with you when we get back. Until then, stay in your room." Eunkwang instructed. "Nae."

One by one the members left his room, except Changsub. He stood up from the chair and walked over to the bedside. "I'm still curious about what goes on in that head of yours. You shouldn't have ended it if you really didn't want to."

Sungjae opened his mouth to reply, but was stopped by his hyung. "Don't say anything. I just wanted to let that out." With that, his hyung left and closed the door to his room.

------

He sighed deeply as he closed his eyes. The vision of a teary-eyed Joy, hovering over him, suddenly flashed. He tried to shake off the dream he had.

Sooyoung-ah...he called out to her in his mind. It seemed like I forgot you, but I was wrong. I tried everything, but I can't do anything.

He covered his face with a pillow. Snap out it! In an attempt to distract himself, he thought of s. He didn't dare to turn on the tv nor look at his phone to monitor the event. Guilt and disappointment came over him. How long have they been putting up with me? I need to change. I'm trying to change hyungs. I'm trying to change.

His thoughts were on repeat. He eventually felt his eyes getting heavy until he drifted off sleep again.