Chapter 4

Bound to Eternity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

200 years later

 

The merman prince was in front of his father, void of any emotion.

 

“Prince, it’s time for you to get married and take the throne. I’m getting old and our people are waiting for you to guide them towards a brighter future.”

 

Jaejoong’s eyes widened in surprise for a moment; the golden rays that came through the water from above, shone on the beautiful prince’s features. Even though he physically hadn’t aged a day, long gone was the bright, young merman they once knew. It was as if there was a dark shadow over him and in 200 years, no one had seen his breathtaking smile again.

 

“I won’t get married, father. And I honestly have no interest in taking the throne. We already talked about this.”

 

The king looked at him with a serious expression.

 

“Joongie, it’s been 200 years. Merpeople have been waiting for you since then.”

 

“I know.”

 

“It’s time to move on. Where has my lovely boy gone?”

 

“I’m always here, Father.” The prince replied numbly.

 

“Can’t you hear and see yourself? Your tail has been black for all these years and you can’t imagine how much it pains me to see you like this. I know you were hurt because of what happened to Junsu, but he was a traitor.”

 

Jaejoong clenched his fists in anger at the king’s words.

 

“Your sister acted out of responsibility towards the whole realm; Junsu broke the rules and escaped. It’s unforgivable.” He continued unaware of the prince’s rage.

 

If only in that moment he had looked in his son’s eyes, he would have noticed a fire inside of them he had never seen before. Jaejoong was trembling; it took all his self-control not to yell at his father. He hated that his best friend had to take all the blame of what happened that night. He didn’t even know where he was, if he was doing well… If he hated him.

 

Back then after he disappeared, he had run to their hideout, wishing and praying to find him there. But the only living he found inside was the little dog his best friend had gifted him. Even the puppy noticed that something was wrong with his owner when the merman crumbled down on his knees.

 

For months he had stayed hidden there and cried his heart out non-stop while Hero stood by his side and his tears away, trying to comfort him.

 

For the first time in his life, he felt completely alone. The small puppy by his side was the only consolation he had, and the young merman knew why humans considered them their best friends. But again after a few years, time took the puppy away from him too. And the loneliness was eating him from the inside.

 

He had lost his soulmate and this caused his heart, his whole being, to keep hurting for 200 years. At first it was unbearable, but then he eventually became numb to the pain and learned to live with it.

 

“Are you listening to me?” His father interrupted his flow of memories.

 

“Yes, Father.”

 

“Forget about Junsu. I know it’s difficult and you feel betrayed. I felt the exact same thing because of your mother.”

 

“Please Father, stop. I don’t want to talk about it.” He pleaded tired.

 

The King put a hand on his shoulder.

 

“Don’t worry, you’ve got me and your sister by your side.”

 

All the prince could do was to bite back a sarcastic “lucky me!” and try not to roll his eyes at the statement.

 

His sister had been incredibly cheerful during the past two centuries, rejoicing in seeing him in the deepest despair.

 

“During the past 200 years I saw my bright son losing all his light. It was painful to witness, but now you can have a fresh start and make your people happy.”

 

“Father.”

 

“I’m not asking, Jaejoong. I told you already that I’m too old and tired. Just make me retire and rest.”

 

“Why don’t you just make Boa queen? Why does it have to be me? You know she won’t be happy at all about this.”

 

“Your sister will understand. You were born to reign over our people and they’ve been waiting for you for a long time.”

 

Jaejoong seriously doubted it and couldn’t help but sigh in defeat. He knew it was pointless to argue with his father and he was tired of this; he just wanted to be alone.

 

“I’ll take the throne but I won’t get married. That’s my one and only condition.” The merman declared.

 

The King didn’t know why Jaejoong had been refusing to get married for all this time, but he wrongly suspected that it had something to do with Junsu’s disappearance.

 

“Joo Won has been courting you since when you were 15 years old, Prince. Can’t you just accept his feelings?”

 

The merman felt sick in his stomach. He didn’t care if his father thought Junsu and him were lovers. He couldn’t know about Yunho. No one could ever.

 

Because the painful truth was that he was the one who broke the rules and he selfishly dragged his best friend in the middle of the mess he created.

 

Yunho...

 

The name itself made his heart throb in pain.

 

“I’m sorry, Father. I won’t. This is my compromise.”

 

This time it was the King who sighed in defeat.

 

“All right. Merpeople want you anyway. I’ll start the preparations right away; your coronation will be in three days from now.” He then paused and looked at the Prince’s tail. “It would be good if you could change your tail’s color though.”

 

“You know I have no control over this matter. It’s been like this for 200 years.”

 

“Right. It’s just… Sad.”

 

Jaejoong looked down.

 

“It’s okay, son. Everything will be fine and one day this too will change on its own. It will all be back to normal. I’m sure of it.”

 

----------

 

 

The King swam his way towards the Princess’ room in the Palace. He had no worries, he expected this to be an amazing news for everyone. But he had always been blind and deaf when it came to his precious daughter.

 

He knocked at the door and as he tried to open it, he heard a faint “I’m coming.”.

The King wondered what was taking her so long, when the Princess finally opened the door for him.

 

“Father!” She exclaimed in surprise.

 

“My dear Princess, how are you today?” He asked sweetly, going inside.

 

The room was completely dark if not for the faint light coming from the candles, and the air was really cold. There was something off, but the King couldn’t exactly pinpoint what it was.

 

He put a hand on her back and led her towards the bed, where they sat next to each other.

 

“I’m well, Father. Thank you. What brings you here?”

 

“I have some big news for you.” He announced running his hand through her black, long hair.

 

Boa’s eyes widened in surprise. She was almost trembling in anticipation, thinking that her moment had finally come and she would take what she believed was hers.

 

“The time has come, Princess. I’m getting old and I want to give up the throne to my legacy.” The King stated proudly, now his curly, white beard.

 

“Father, it’s an honor.” She replied.

 

“For this reason, I hope you’ll accept my decision.”

 

“Of course, my King.”

 

“There’s only one person that will be able to bring our kingdom prosperity and a bright future, and I hope you’ll always stay by his side.”

 

His?

 

Boa’s smile died on her lips.

 

“I’m proud to announce you that in three days from now, your brother will succeed me and take the throne.”

 

The Princess gritted her teeth; her knuckles white from clenching her fists too hard.

 

In that moment, for the first time the King was able to see her true self.

 

 “You’re giving the throne to him?” She asked, her face red with suppressed rage.

 

“Merpeople want him, dear. And you have to admit that your brother was born to be King.” The King tried to reason with her.

 

Her father’s words were only making things worse.

 

“What about me then? I’m older and more capable than him. The throne belongs to me!” She shouted.

 

Her appearance seemed different; her curls were dangerously floating in the water like snakes. The sight was absolutely terrifying, but the king wasn’t having any of it. He was disappointed in his daughter, and he could finally see what his son had been trying t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter