The Little Red- Part 1

The Sisters Grimm : Origins

 

Born in a village so calm and pure,

Living a lowly humble life of the poor,

Taught to fight for what is right,

She stalks by day and hunts by night,

A sorrowful life of sorrow and pain,

A warrior whose prize is sure to gain,

Hunting her preys till they are dead,

This is the tale of the Little Red.

In remote village in the middle of the forest, sets a few small huts which resides different families. The Kim and the Jung family were the hunters and the protectors of the village. They stock up on food and keep any enemies at bay.

“Dear! Where are you come here for a while will you.” A women shouted from the kitchen.

“Coming mum!” A girl replied as she ran towards her mother and gave her a surprise back hug.

“Come on you’re turning eighteen soon act your age will you.” Her mother laughed as she continued to clean the kitchen.

“No! I will never be too old to hug you. You can’t stop me. Hmph!” The girl replied causing her mother to reply with a even stronger laugh.

“That’s my baby girl. My Sowon.” She said.

“Mum why did you name me the way you did?” Sowon asked curiously as she released her mother from her tight grip.

Her mother spun around and faced her till they were staring directly into each others eyes. With a warm smile she spoke ever so gently.

“Because my child. You are my wish cane true. My happiness.” She said while Sowon’s hair.

“So why did you call me mother?” Sowon asked.

“Ah yes i almost forget. I need you to bring this over to your grand mother’s house.” She said while handing over a basket with fruits and meat.

“Mum i still dont understand why does grandma live alone. Did something happen to grandpa, is it related to what happen to dad too?” 

“Hold your horses my dear, if i tell you now you would not understand. Next time i promise, but for now i need you to deliver this to grandma alright?” 

“Fine mum...” Sowon said annoyed as she took the basket from her mother and started on her journey.

“Dont forget to take your crossbow and take Fenris with you!” Her mum did her final nagging as she watched her only daughter leave.

“Yes i got it bye!” Sowon waved her hands and made her way.

“If only i could tell you what happen to your father...” Her mother said silently as she took a deep sigh.

Sowon made her way out of her house and put on her favourite red cloak with a matchin red hood. She placed her crossbow at the side of her belt and put on her boots.

“Fenris! Here boy!” Sowon called out. In a matter of seconds, a wolf came running and barking towards Sowon as it jumped on her and her face. 

“Good morning to you too haha.” She giggled as she rubbed its head and told it to follow her.

As Sowon started her journey with her best friend walking besides her. They passed by another hut with soothing music being played from the inside. It was the Jung family, the musicians.

“Sowon ah where you off too so early?” A girl with striking blonde hair called out as Sowon looked at replied with a smile and a wave.

“Off to run some errands for my mother. Not going to be hunting today maybe next time!” Sowon replied happily.

“Okay then safe travelling. Bye Fenris!” Yerin said as she bid them farewell.

“Okay boy, let’s go. If we dont get too distracted we should be back by sundown. But knowing us, i say we should be back by midnight.” Sowon laughed at her own joke while Fenris barked in agreement.

Sowon hopped onto Fenris back and gave the command. Without hesitation, Fenris jumped off his hind feet and started to run as fast as he could to their objective.

They had to run through a thick and dense forest which is home to many species of wildlife, from fierce carnivores to the gentle herbivores. Sowon grew up in the jungle, she knew it inside out. Her senses are stronger and more accurate when she is surrounded by nature. 

Ever since Fenris was introduced to her during her tenth birthday, she had spent most of her time in the jungle playing around together with Yerin. Often they would stalk deers and pigs while Fenris would normally be the one that does the killing blow.

As Sowon and Fenris ran through the forest, the fresh wind blowing against her face as she looks foward and balances perfectly on Fenris’ back. Soon enough, they reached their destination as Sowon took the basket and knocked on the door.

“Grandma it’s me!” Sowon called.

A slow and distinct footstep was heard as the door swung open. An old lady with white snowy hair and crinkle filled face greeted Sowon.

“Oh my what brings my little dearest Sowon here?” Sowon’s grandmother greeted as she gave Sowon a hug and invited her in.

“Here these are for you.” Sowon handed the basket to her grandmother who opened it with a very happy expression.

“Oh this is just too thoughtful of you, thank you. How are you headaches by the way?” Sowon smiled brightly and gave a thumbs up as a response.

“Grandma, did you rent out your house to someone else?” Sowon said as she noticed the once empty room had a mattress made out of wool in it.

“I have, she is a nice lady with a promising future just like you.” Her grandmother replied. “Thank you so much for the gift basket but you should head back it’s getting late.”

“Oh you’re right. Ok then take care i will promise to visit you again!” Sowon said as she left together with Fenris as the duo ran back to their home. As they got closer back to their home, a thick cloud of black smoke could be seen from a distance.

“No...no...Fenris run now!” Sowon shouted but Fenris was already running faster than before. He was able to smell the smoke and increased his pace.

They reached their home only to realise that it was in ruins, every house was on fire and destroyed. Pieces of woods were scattered all around the ground as the fire started to spread around. It was in complete destruction.

“Mum!” Sowon shouted out loud as she ran to her house which was burning in flames. She ran in despite of the thick cloud of smoke which was choking her. In the kitchen she saw a sight she never wanted to see.

Her mother on the floor with a long and thick wooden plank that collapsed on top of her lower body making her unable to move. Sowon ran over to her mother as she knelt om the floor with tears streaming down her face.

“Mum! Let me get you out!” Sowon shouted as she tried to lift the plank woth the help of Fenris. But even the two of them were unable to lift it.

“W...What are you...doing...here...” She tried to speak as blood dripped from . “It’s...too dangerous here...just go....” 

“No! I cant leave you! I already lost dad you are all that i have left! Dont leave me like this mum!” Sowon choked on her own words as she was now bawling at the sight of her suffering mother.

“I am always with you dear...” Her mother continued as she tried to reach up and touch her daughter’s face for the last time. Sowon reached for her hand and placed it onto her cheek. 

“I am so proud of you and of the women you have become...i love you more than anything in this world...I will always be with you my little baby...” 

Sowon was now crying without able to stop. Little did she know that the building was about to collapse.

“Go...now...” Her mother said as her voice started to become even more weaker. Sowon just kept shaking her head unable to let go of her mother’s hand. 

She wants to feel her mother’s touch forever not wanting to ever let go. Never want to be left alone again. As the sound of the wood creaking started to get louder, a large piece fell directly on top of her mother as the hand Sowon held became limp and dropped onto the ground.

“NO!” Sowon shouted in both anger and sorrow.

Fenris barked and bit Sowon on her hood and dragged her out to the opens to prevent to building from collapsing on her too. Sowon could not react, the sight of her own mother dying in front of her eyes traumatised her. Something that will haunt her for the rest of her life.

Fenris started to growl as he looked in the distance. Noticing that Sowon was still not responsive, he barked as loud as he could into her ear causing her to jolt back to reality. She saw three men walking towards her two of which with crossbows while the one in the centre had a long blade on one hand while his other hand was holding onto a fire ball.

Sowon searched around the area and found a blade on the floor next to a dead body. She took it up and held it with both hands as she pointed it at the three men who was about to attack her. Her hands were shaking, she had never used a blade in an actual battle before and worse, she was afraid.

“Who are you?” Sowon asked angrilly while she pointed the blade at her target. 

“Who am i? Well i’m the guy that killed your whole village.” He smirked at his own achievements while Sowon just stared in shock as she lowered her blade, tears still rolling down from her cheeks.

“Now die!” The man said before hurling a fireball at her. 

Sowon just stood there motionless.