Chapter 2

Guardian Angel

"...What?"

"I said, can you please stop stalking me?"

"Huh?"

"I know I'm hot and all that, but it's getting kind of creepy now."

Ok. So my taste in guys .

"Uhm, I think you've got things wrong. I'm just walking the same way as you. We're going to the same school anyway."

"Ah, that's what they all say." He looked me up and down. "So why are you bothering to trail behind my brilliantly purposely slow speed, when clearly that would make you late for the assembly?"

"Purposely? Uh, obviously I was deep in thought about something important."

"Mmmhmm. Like how you're gonna get me to fall for you?"

This guy is really getting on my nerves.

"No. Like 'is that person in front of me a girl or guy?' "

He frowned. 

"That's strange. Usually they'd confessed by now."

His ugly turd coloured eyes scanned me again.

"Oh well. Anyhoo, please stop stalking me." Pause. "And also, are you by any chance lesbian?"

"...No?"

"Just an especially creepy one then."

Mr Hethinkshe'ssoawesome was gone before I could give him a good kick.

***

The hall was packed. Watching students squirming in their seats reminded me of an ant hill. Or beehive.

"Belle! Over here!"

I turned my head and saw Kristy, my best friend since kindergarten, waving me over.

"Hurry up! They're calling the names soon."

"Class 10L with Mrs Crawley."

My back stung as I backwards tackled the bench. Just in time.

"Now," said my red-haired best friend, "All that's left is to pray."

And pray I did.

I wasn't sure how much time had passed, but all I knew was that Kristy was still right beside me, and that there were only 3 10th grade classes left to be called out. 

"Class 10C with Dr Spiel." The announcer paused. "Kristy Adraham."

A warm hand gripped mine. I waited. I prayed. I hoped.

"... Joseph Cameron. Joseph Cantile. Katie Dong..." 

The grip on my hand loosened, then completely disappeared. We stared into each others eyes for a long time.

"People might get the wrong idea, you know."

"I don't care." She whispered. "I won the bet."

"Damn. You remembered."

"Pshh, you think I'd forget? It was pretty obvious you would get in a better class than me anyway." Kristy rolled her eyes. "Burrito, cola and a sundae. Extra chocolate."

"If they sell them here."

"Trust me. They do. I researched."

Not long after, I found myself sitting alone.

"Class 10B With Mr Irving." Cheers echoed from the students. Something about Fu Manchu.

I listened closely. Class 10A it is. To be honest, I didn't really feel that proud. Classes are impossible without a best friend.

With nothing better to do, I lifted my head, curious to see my possible classmates for the school year.

Stranger, stranger, stranger, OH MY GOD. I felt like I was free-falling down a cliff. Wait, wait, wait. Who said he has to be a 10th grader? That's right. Yep. No worries. 

"Class 10A with Mrs Wang."

He won't be in my class. He won't be in my class. He won't be in my class. 

"...Isabella Crissford..."

I stood up. He won't be in my class. He won't be in my class. He won't be in my class. He's still sitting. That's good. That's good.

"...Jason Kim..."

He stood up. 

"...Aimee Song..."

Still in shock.

"...Olivia Sun..."

It's fine. I'll just stay away from him. Far. Away.

"...and Alex Zhuang."

Shuffling closely behind a group of make-up-caked Korean girls, I wished more than ever that Kristy was with me.