Palentines

Best Friends

 

Jonghyun and Kibum are working on composition II homework in Jonghyun’s room when they both get texts. Kibum looks at his first and replies quickly before going back to his paper. When Jonghyun finally finds his, he has a text from Minho.

 

Chat: ㅎㅅ~

CineMin: Happy Valentines Day~

Jjongie: Thank you ㅎㅅㅎ even though its just capitalist ery at work

CineMin: Does that mean I should take my present for you back?

Jjongie: ㅎㅅㅎ  no ㅎㅅㅎ

 

Even though their date isn’t for another 4 days, Jonghyun’s excited about the prospect of a present.

“So Kibum, what are your plans for tonight? Doing anything special for the annual reminder of your commitment to being single for life?” he asks Kibum as he gets settled back into his work.

“Yeah, Minho’s taking me for Palentines.”

Jonghyun puts his work down. “Palentines?”

“Yeah. Palentines.”

“What does Palentines include?”

Kibum looks up from his work in a half unamused way and sighs before explaining.

“When I came out to Minho as aro/ace, his first thought was that I would be miserable on Valentines every year since it’s basically a smoothering of all the things that I’m not and never will be in the mood for. So since then, every year he takes me out for Palentines. We go to the diner, he buys me yellow roses and lunch, and I buy him an obnoxious card. He’s got quite the collection, you should have him show you sometime.”

There’s a silence for a while as Jonghyun pouts that he can’t go on a Valentines date.

“Do you want to see this years card?” Kibum asks.

Jonghyun nods and Kibum goes digging in his backpack. He pulls out a huge card and holds it up for Jonghyun to see. Jonghyun holds his hand out but Kibum doesn’t hand it over.

“It looks like a regular, unassuming card, doesn’t it?”

“Obviously.”

“It is until you open it. Then it plays a song that won’t stop until you rip the card up, at which point it pours all this glitter out at you.”

“Oh my god that’s evil, Kibum!!”

“There’s only so many extravagant cards out there and after a while you have to go to new levels to keep things fresh.”

Jonghyun laughs, almost dropping his laptop onto the floor. Kibum stands up.

“Ok, well I have to go change into not-date attire, so I’ll see you later.”

*

Two hours later, Kibum comes back into Jonghyun’s room, back in his lounge clothes.

“How was Palentines?”

“Good. We won cake again for cutest Valentines couple for the 4th year in a row so.”

“But you went as pals.”

Kibum shrugs. “I can hold Minho’s hand and look at him lovingly if there’s free cake on the line. Also, he sent this for you.”

Kibum hands him a small box wrapped in pink paper with a note taped to the top.

 

Jjongie,

I hope the delivery boy is ok. I would’ve delivered this in person but I’m too shy ㅍㅅ~ See you on Monday for our date.

Minnie

P.S.: I didn’t know what kind of chocolates you like so I just got the simple ones, I hope that’s ok ^^