First Meeting

Best Friends

 

Kibum and Minho have always been together. Growing up in homes back to back -- chosen specifically by their parents to be able to pool their yards together -- everything is shared. The treehouse on Minho’s side, the pool on Kibum’s, secrets on both. Even in school, up until 8th grade when Minho has to repeat and Kibum opts to skip 9th in order to graduate early. But even so, Kibum doesn’t leave Minho behind, opting to help tutor his friend to success. In return, Minho gives Kibum the support he has trouble finding elsewhere. As they grow up, everyone assumes that a sweet romance is about to bloom between them at any point; the summer they turn 16, Kibum confides in Minho that nothing of the sort is going to happen, neither between them nor with anyone. Later that fall, when Minho brings him a newspaper clipping and the words “aromantic” and “aual,”  Kibum cries on his shoulder, relieved to finally have words for himself. Though Minho is the gentlest soul Kibum knows, no one at their high school dare say anything negative about Kibum for fear of him. When he graduates, the only blemish on Minho’s high school record is a fight in his sophomore year; his parents were furious, but Kibum slept a little better knowing that Minho was willing to break someone’s nose if they harassed him.

When Kibum graduates, he takes a year off. There are many rumors as to why in particular, but it’s no secret that regardless of what reason he gives, he’s not ready to leave Minho behind. When they go to different but nearby colleges, everyone is surprised. The transition is difficult but not completely unbearable. Their first semester, they meet up at a midpoint restaurant every Saturday. They start developing social circles beyond each other. Minho has a few friends within his major, though no one particular friend sticks out more than the others. Kibum also has a few major-associated friends but also one out of major friend. He meets Jonghyun in Writing Composition II. Jonghyun, a music composition major, is a year older and in the cohort Kibum should’ve entered with. They are paired together for some icebreaker exercises the first week and a close friendship quickly blooms between the two.


 

In their second semester, Kibum feels that it’s time to properly introduce Minho and Jonghyun. Jonghyun’s shown himself to be reliable and a good friend, and is thusly decided to be meet-Minho worthy. Jonghyun is understandably nervous when Kibum suggests it.


Kekeke: r u free this weekend

Jjongie: from prior societal obligation? Yes. from the chains of capitalism? No. why?

Kekeke: -_-

Kekeke: I know I talk about Minho all the time and we’re planning on meeting up this weekend so i was wondering if u wanted to come along and meet him.

Jjongie: oh. Does he want to meet me?

Kekeke: I would like for my two bffs to at least be able to vaguely recognize each other. Isnt that enough?

Jjongie: I just dont want him to hate me for interrupting not-boyfriends time. ㅎㅅㅎ isnt that enough?

Kekeke: he sounded interested when i asked him about it.

Jjongie: yah sure I’d love to meet your not-boyfriend then!

Kekeke: -_-

Kekeke: Meet me in the lobby at 6 on saturday

Jjongie: am or pm
Kekeke: with all the times i’ve told you about how Minho loves sleep more than probably anything out there, you really have to ask?

Jjongie: yes ㅎㅅㅎ not all of us have regular sleep schedules kibum some of us have sleep disorders ok time is a societal construct

Kekeke: pm

Jjongie: ok!

 

It isn’t until he’s sitting at the diner with Jonghyun waiting for Minho to arrive that he gets nervous. What if they don’t get along? What if they get along but both get jealous that they aren’t the center of his attention, like they’re each used to being? Kibum’s worries are interrupted by Jonghyun elbowing him in the ribs.

“Wait, is that him?? Is he tall?? If he’s tall I’m leaving!!” Jonghyun whispers, pointing towards the door. Kibum looks at the door and sees that it is indeed Minho standing there. Even if Kibum didn’t know Minho’s face perfectly, he still would’ve been easy to spot; his Greenfield College hoodie makes him stick out like a sore thumb amongst the sea of Palm Valley University students also visiting the diner. Kibum waves him over as Jonghyun continues to quietly berate him for not mentioning the fact that Minho was tall. He gets out of the booth enough so that he can stand to hug Minho, but makes sure his leg is in the way so that Jonghyun can’t decide to run away.

“Hey, sorry I’m late! I had to talk to my professor about an assignment grade and he talked just slowly enough that I missed my usual train.”

“Oh it’s no biggie, we haven’t been waiting long. They haven’t even come around to ask us for drinks yet.”

Jonghyun starts to clear his throat just loud enough for Kibum to hear.

“So. Minho, this is my friend and part time amusement, Jonghyun. Jonghyun, this is my best friend Minho.”

They nod to each other and Minho and Kibum take their seats.

“It’s nice to finally meet you, Jonghyun. Kibum’s told me a lot about you,” Minho says first.

“It’s nice to meet you too. I figured it was about time I met Kibum’s tall not-boyfriend,” Jonghyun replies, shaking his head at Kibum.

Minho an eyebrow, glances at Kibum, laughs.

“Yeah definitely not Kibum’s boyfriend, but I was his date to every dance since middle school including prom so I’m probably the closest thing to it.”

“Wait you guys went to dances together?? Like multiple?? That’s basically dating, come on.”

They’re interrupted by a waitress coming around to bring them some waters and finally take their drink orders. Minho orders his milkshake and then pulls out his phone while the other two order their beers. As soon as she walks away, Minho holds his phone out for Jonghyun to see.
“That was the 6th grade Winter Wonderland social and then the next one is the 8th grade Under the Sea social, which was our last year in the same grade. Then it’s like 5 homecomings and proms.”

“Oh my god these are precious,” Jonghyun exclaims, flipping through the pictures. “Look at these wonderful not boyfriends. Just two guys in being dudes in fancy suits together. What handsome testes besties.”

Both Kibum and Minho spit their water out at the comment. Kibum immediately starts smacking Jonghyun.

“What the hell kind of comment is that???” he asks.

“Uhhh it’s obviously the male version of gal pals??? I know you’re an archeology major but like come on, Kibum.” Jonghyun explains, rolling his eyes. He tries to hand Minho back his phone, but Minho’s laughing to hard to notice. Eventually Minho composes himself and takes his phone back.

“I know Kibum’s told me but what’s your major again, Minho?”

“Comparative literature. Yours is composition right?”

“Yeah. So what does the comparative part mean?”

Kibum mentally clocks out while Minho begins his overly explanation that can be boiled down to ‘I want to read the book and watch the movie because I like comparing their similarities and differences while enjoying the fact that they are in fact two separate artistic pieces.’ Just as he finishes his explaination, the waitress comes back with their drinks and takes their orders. Kibum opts for nachos, Jonghyun for mozzarella sticks. Minho orders both the slider sampler plate and the cheese fries platter, much to the concern of the waitress who insists that it’s food for 4-6 people.

“Dude, the platter is pretty big. Do  you really think you’ll be able to eat it?” Jonghyun asks as she leaves.

Kibum laughs.

“Oh please. I can honestly say that I’ve never seen him not finish a plate of food. Like ever. In my entire life. Anyways he orders it everytime we come here.”

Jonghyun’s eyes go wide, looking at Kibum then Minho.

“Really???”

Minho laughs, cheeks high in pride. Minho and Kibum take turns sharing stories from Minho’s short lived career as a non-profesional semi-competitive eater during middle and high school, starting with The Great Hot Dog Binge of 7th grade and ending with the semi-disastrous Satan’s 7lb Seafood Struggle (and accompanying food poisoning episode) of senior year. With each story, Jonghyun’s mouth and eyes opened a little wider. As Minho is finishing up the seafood story, Kibum takes the opportunity to snap a picture of his ungodly expression. Jonghyun’s so enthralled with the story that he doesn’t even notice. Just as Minho finishes, their food comes.

“I think I might be full from just listening to those stories,” Jonghyun whines.

Kibum laughs. “You should’ve been there. It’s absolutely disgusting.”

“Did you try any of them, Bum???”

Both Kibum and Minho laugh this time.

“You see, Jonghyun, I have the perfect balance of determination, stomach capacity, and stupidity to succeed in this. If Kibum wants a challenge he’ll do a crossword puzzle or try a fancy pastry recipe, not try to stuff himself fuller than a build-a-bear.”

Jonghyun looks at Kibum for confirmation and Kibum shrugs.

“So what have you guys been up to this semester? I know I haven’t been super social, my non-Greek Epics class has been kicking my and it’s only the first month of the semester,” Minho asks.

Jonghyun recounts their recent experiences of being trapped in a broken down elevator, how all of their professors were automatically lawful evil because they used the word ‘midterm’ instead of exam, and how they had barely survived the Biggest Crime Imaginable (the dining hall ran out of stir-fry). While he talks, Minho eats. And eats. And eats. Just as Jonghyun finishes talking, Minho grabs his last fry off the platter, then stacks the two now empty plates together at the end of the table.

“I’ve been talking for like 10 minutes how did you finish that already??”

“Jjongie, you’ve been talking for 20 minutes and he can eat a 6 lb burrito in 25.” Kibum replies. Turning back to Minho he asks, “So you’ve heard about our semester, how’s yours going?”

“It’s going fine.”

Kibum is a little surprised at the shortness of Minho’s answer; as Minho quickly starts sipping his water, Kibum assumes that there’s something going on that he doesn’t want to talk about in front of Jonghyun. A silence falls amongst the three of them and Kibum notices that the other two keep glancing at each other. Were they finally starting to move past niceness and move into jealousy? He’s not eager to find out.

“It’s getting late, almost 8 o’clock. Do you need to head back?” he asks Minho.

“It’s 8???” Minho groans. “Yeah I need to go, unfortunately.”

“Don’t worry about money,” Kibum says as Minho starts feeling his pockets for his wallet. “It’s my treat this time. You’ve paid for mine the last three times.”

“Are you treating me too?” Jonghyun asks, doing his best puppy face.

“Have you paid for my dinner ever?”

“No...”

“Then no. Text me when you get home, ok Minho?”

 

***

 

It’s not until Kibum is back in his room that he even ventures to ask them what they thought of each other. He asks Jonghyun first, opting to wait til Minho messages that he got home.

 

Kekeke: so

Jjongie: ...???...

Kekeke: what do you think of Minho?

Jjongie: hes cute for a tree with an insatiable appetite. ㅎㅅ~

Kekeke: ok but do you think you guys get along ok?

Jjongie: ㅎㅅ~     ㅎㅅ~     ㅎㅅ~     ㅎㅅ~     ㅎㅅ~

Kekeke: ok but what does that mean

Jjongie: i know social code states that i shouldve asked him for his number when we were at dinner but i didn’t think about it because i was too amazed at the fact that he looks like he weighs 10 lbs but can eat for 10 people so can i pls have his number

Kekeke: yeah sure

Kekeke: wait

Jjongie: ㅎㅅ~

Kekeke: i s2g

 

Jjongie: Look, like the stance of a politician my opinion can be easily swayed somtimes!!!  i just want to be friendly with your not boyfriend!!! I’m not asking for his hand in marriage or anything !!!! so ㅎㅅ~ pls ㅎㅅ~ give ㅎㅅ~ me ㅎㅅ~ the ㅎㅅ~ number ㅎㅅ~

 

Unbelievable. All this time he’d been worried that they wouldn’t get along when he should’ve worried about them getting along too well. That would explain the shy glances between the two. 

 

Kekeke: r you home yet

CineMin: yes

CineMin: just now

Kekeke: so whats up with your semester?

CineMin: remember when I said that I was late because of discussing a grade

Kekeke: ye

CineMin: I’m failing this class right now because of that grade

Kekeke: is it the one i proofed for u?

CineMin: yes

Kekeke: but? That? Was? Such? A? Good? Paper?

CineMin: If you’re trying to say that to make me feel better don’t worry about it

Kekeke: would i do that 2 u

CineMin: yes

Kekeke: ok fair enough

Kekeke: it was actually really good though

Kekeke: i even had someone else look it over since im not used to ur citations and they said it was a really good paper

CineMin: really?

Kekeke: ye

Kekeke: on the sunny side, what did u think of jjongie?

CineMin: he was nice. A little on the :O side but nice. I don’t have my seal picture anymore but I approve.

Kekeke: he wants your number

CineMin: Like...wants my number or wants  ^.~ my  ^.~ number  ^.~

Kekeke: the 2nd.....almost verbatim

CineMin: really??

Kekeke: """i just want to be friendly with your not boyfriend!!! I’m not asking for his hand in marriage or anything !!!! so ㅎㅅ~ pls ㅎㅅ~ give ㅎㅅ~ me ㅎㅅ~ the ㅎㅅ~ number ㅎㅅ~"""

CineMin: Oh wow

CineMin: You can give him my number, unless you don’t want him to have it

Kekeke: i dont care but just a heads up, u kno hes rlly heckin gay right

CineMin: Sweetie I know love is literally in no way your domain of knowledge, but like with that number of winks and the fact that he mentioned both the fact that I’m not your boyfriend and the word marriage literally leaves no other realistic meaning beyond “im rlly heckin gay for ur not-boyfriend and i hope hes at least open to that”

Kekeke: i realize that, mr

Kekeke: u dont have to write me a 12 page essay analyzing it

Kekeke: i kno thats ur major but pls

CineMin: It’s ok, I’m feeling really softly gay so I'm willing to take a chance.

Kekeke: ye but honey ur like cheesy victorian novel romantic and hes like............cheap paperback romance

CineMin: How do you know though?

CineMin: Also how is that cheesy?

Kekeke: Honey pls

CineMin: ㅍ`ㅅˊㅍ

CineMin: Just because I want a beautiful man to meet me in the middle of a foggy meadow at daw in a open and billowy white button up before walking me home and asking me for my hand in marriage doesn’t mean I’m cheesy

Kekeke: watever back to the matter at hand

Kekeke: r u just gonna leave me to be ace by myself whilst trying to convince my other best friend to wear whatever kind of gross shirt u r imagining

CineMin: No

CineMin: You might have to be aro by yourself though

CineMin: Plus, I’m only gray-ace, remember? You’re like The Ace. You’d still be The Ace.

Kekeke: i dont have enough palms to facepalm

CineMin: Our love triangle would have to have a legend for it.

Kekeke: I’m going to bed now. Call me tomorrow

CineMin: ok~

 

Kibum closes Minho’s chat, sends Jonghyun Minho’s number. As he’s turning off his phone, two messages comes through.

 

Jjongie: ♡ㅅ♡ thank you ♡ㅅ♡ i owe you one ♡ㅅ♡

 

New Group Chat!: “Cheese fries”

                                you and CineMin were added by Jjongie

 

He contemplates responding, but decides to just go to sleep.