001

Butterflies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

She made broken look beautiful and strong look invincible.

She walked with the universe on her shoulders,

And made it look like a pair of wings.

 

 

 

She’d seen him. It had just been a second, but that was enough.

 

His eyes had met hers. For a split second, time had stopped for the briefest moment, and as if nothing has happened, resumed—her life as a lowly maid, and his as a rich lord. But their eyes had met.

 

That day, even as she was scrubbing the grease that was on the kitchen floors, she couldn’t wipe away the smile etched onto her face.

 

 

 

 

 

 

He caught sight of the pretty maid again, on his fifth visit to the Queen’s court. She had been gazing at him, and his eyes caught hers, before an older looking woman, most likely in charge of the maids, had dragged her away, spewing nonsense about something along the lines of cleaning kitchen floors. She had pouted at all the nagging she received, and he chuckled.

 

As he left the court, he promised to visit again. Maybe he’d see her around again.

 

 

 

 

 

It had been about a month since she’s last laid her eyes on him. A full moon was out once again, and she felt herself wishing for a miracle.

 

Then lo and behold, the miracle she had been wishing for came true.

 

There he was, surrounded by a horde of attendants and royally-dressed girls.

 

 

Oh, how she wished she would be able to be in the shoes of those women, even just for a night. However, that envy dissipated as he scanned the room and locked eyes with her once again.

 

Who said lightning never strikes twice?

 

 

 

 

 

 

She seemed even prettier this time around, he decided. But she’d also become paler—he wondered what they fed the maids. Surely not the great cuisine that was served to him personally every night.

 

He felt a sudden determination to talk to her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Heavy coughs racked her body as she peeked out from behind the corner. Her time was almost up, she guessed. The third full moon was approaching.

 

The thought of never seeing him again frightened her, but she knew it was inevitable.

 

Rumours of his betrothal to a princess from far, far away floated around the maids and wait staff. She wondered if it was true.

 

 

 

 

 

 

He excused himself from the small group of people. He noticed a lady with feline eyes and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter