One

Collection of Markson one shots I wrote

A little boy around the age of ten was sitting alone outside children's park watching other childrens play inside. As he didn't talk much, noone was interested to be his friend. He had lied to his mom that he had friends , he wanted to go out and play with them. Though in little doubt she allowed her child to go making him promise to play inside children's park. That is how he ended up here. The boy always found some sort of fascination in watching people , seeing them smile and happy. His innocent doe eyes landed on particular short boy with black hair and loudest unique laugh. Every children seem to like him , they wanted his attention, want to befriend him. The only thing that little child liked about the loud boy was his puppy dog eyes. Suddenly the boy he was eyeing , looked back at him. The boy said something to his friends and started walking to his direction. The first instinct that came into his mind was run but he freezed in place as the boy stood tall in front of him. He just hoped the other won't bully him.

" Hey, what's your name ? My name is Jackson Wang. Do you want to play with us ? " 

The little boy blinked at the loud child who introduced  himself as Jackson.

" Can't you speak ? No problem. Just nod your head yes or no "  Jackson continued  on.

"  You can't hear too ? " 

Jackson started using hands gestures.

" I__I can s__speak and hear " 

" Oh sorry. Why didn't you answer my question then ?" 

" Yo__you didn't let m__me speak " 

" I am letting you speak now . What is your name ? " Jackson asked the boy with huge smile plastered on his face. 

" M__mark Tuan " 

" Mark, do you want to play with my friends ? " 

Jackson chriped.

​​" N__no " 

" Why not "  a sad pout formed on his lips.

" T_they will b_bully me. " 

Jackson held Mark's little hand in his and dragged the boy inside park.

" Don't worry Jackson will always protect you " 

******

Mark jerked up awake from his dream. He has been having the same dream for fifth time now. It was like whenever he closed his eyes someone clicked the botton on his mind and the dream played on repeatedly. It was messing up with his mind. Everything was normal for him five days ago then suddenly his world turned upside down with the arrival of this recurring dream. Why was he suddenly dreaming of Jackson ? 

 Ten years had elapsed since he had last seen his best friend. Mark could only make out the blurry image of the boy with puppy dog eyes, he had once fallen in love with. He couldn't possibly recognize Jackson if he were to come in front of Mark now . The only thing engraved inside his mind was the boy's name - Jackson. Isn't it funny how time erases every memories , every relations and every emotions of past but still you want to revive them ? Mark wanted to revive them , he wanted to find Jackson again.

Jackson , the name alone provided him some sort of warmth , a comfort he had been seeking and a emotion that fluttered as well as saddened his heart at the same time. It felt like his whole world revolved around that name and if it seized to exist, he would be wiped out with it. 

Jackson, the little boy of his dream who always promised to protect Mark,  who always stood by his side whenever necessary. The boy with puppy dog eyes and loud hyena like laugh that never failed to bring smile on other's face. His frist friend, his protector.

Jackson, the teenage boy with lot of snapback collection , the  heartthrob of school. A ball of sunshine with never ending energy and humor. The one who used to sneak into school's rooftop with Mark, the one who made him feel he was special , the one who he fell in love with but never dared to confess.

Mark never knew the reason why and where Jackson left all of sudden to this day. Jackson hadn't even said goodbye to him or he didn't find it necessary to infrom Mark that he would be leaving his best friend. He had tried to contact the boy but he never got a single reply back. Days passed, weeks passed , months passed and the hope that Jackson would return crumbled down piece by piece until none was left. Sure it hurt a lot , it pained a lot but Mark diverted all his attention to his study instead. He dedicated his heart and mind to books which were the only things able to distract his heart from pain , from memories of the one he had thought would never leave him but left.

Mark's dedication and hard work paid off and he was offered job in high paying company. He agreed to it immediately. Eventually he befriended some of the workers of the company. He was popular and loved by all. Girls even asked him out but he wasn't interested in love or relationship.  His sole focus was on his career and nothing else. 

Years passed. Memories were forgotten , past was wiped out and new faces made there appearance on his life. He had his own apartment now in the heart of city, which he shared it with his dog Coco. It was peaceful there  despite being the main area of the city. His life was going on well before memories of the forgotten one crash landed on his mind. 

Mark had done everything in his power to get rid of the dream . He visited hospitals and consulted with doctors. He tried every medication but nothing seemed to work. Finally he made his mind to find Jackson back , it was the only solution to his problem.

Mark threw his blankets off his body and  yawned. Stretching his back he dragged his feet across the carpeted floor towards the bathroom. The cold shower did wonders to his body by  chasing away all the sleep left within his system. After he changed into comfortable cloths he returned to his study room and picked up the paper lying on the table. Written on it were list of names of Jackson's friend and their address Mark had obtained from the school record book which the principal had handed him after hours of requesting. He eyed the list biting down on the bottom end of pencil.

" Youngji, Jaebum, Bambam , Suzy, Jinyoung, Youngjae and Yugyeom . Who shall I start with ? " 

Mark mumbled to himself reading the list again and again. 

" Bambam was close to Jackson. I think I'll start with him. " 

Without waisting any time he wrapped himself in warm clothes, locked the door behind him and headed to the address on the list hiring a taxi nearby.

He paid  the driver wishing him a good day. The house in front of him was small but beautiful. It was very peaceful around this area. There was small garden with multicoloured flowers in front with passage made with stones  to enter the house. The exterior design was breathtaking. Mark walked along the passage to the front door and rung the bell.

The whole house filled with sound of bell and after a minute or few someone opened the door for him.

" Uh, is this where Bambam resides ? " Mark asked as politely as possible.

" Yes. Who are you ? Do you have any business with him ? '" 

" I am  Mark Tuan. Actually , I need his help in searching my friend " 

" Yugyeom who's there ? " a tall ,  thin boy  made his presence in front of them.

" Oh , who are you ? " Bambam's gaze landed on Mark.

" He said his name is Mark. He wants your help Bami. " 

Yugyeom answered before Mark could open his mouth.

" What do you need my help in ? " Bambam raised his eyebrows questioningly.

" Do you know anything about Jackson ? " 

" You mean Jackson Wang ? " 

" Yes. yes " Mark nodded his head in agreement.

" He was my friend back in school but it has been years since we lost contact with each other. I have no idea where he is. " 

" Oh . Thank you anyway " Mark prepared to leave.

" I am really sorry I couldn't help you " Bambam apologized.

" No it's okay. " Mark gave the boy half hearted smile and left.

He got the same answer from other people on the list. Noone had any idea where Jackson resided.

He studied the list again , noone else was left . Mark tugged at his hair in frustration. 

He was walking back to his apartment when his foot stopped at the site of park. His body was screaming with exhaustion so he decided to rest for a while. The park was peaceful most of the time. It was opposite to cemetery so locals named it cemetery park. Due to this fact very few people visited it. 

Mark sat down on the wooden bench lost in his thoughts. His mind was running wild with questions and possibilities. Groaning , he hid his face on the palms of his hand.

" Excuse me , can I sit here " 

Mark's train of thoughts were cut off by a deep male voice. He lifted his head up eyeing the man infront of him. The stranger was around his age and height, he had short blonde hair and a pair of puppy eyes with cute smile plastered on his face. 

Mark nodded his head scooting right leaving space for the stranger to sit down. 

" You look depressed. What happened ? " 

The stranger asked taking his seat beside Mark.

" It's nothing " he lied.

" You are really terrible at lying you know. Something is bothering you isn't it ? " the boy eyed Mark's facial expression closely.

" How can you be so sure something's bothering me  ? " 

" I am psychology student of course I know " 

The stranger let out breathy laugh.

" Oh okay. I want to meet my best friend from ten years ago and no one knows where he resides. " Mark hesitantly answered.

" If you want I can help " 

Mark blinked at him weirdly.

" How ?? I mean you don't even know who I am searching for. " 

" I may or maynot have worked in national police search team " the other replied.

" So what's the name of person you are looking for ? " 

" Jackson Wang " 

The stranger nodded his head in acknowledgement. 

" By the way what's your name ? " 

" Mark, Mark Tuan " 

" J, nice to meet you Mark " 

" J ?" 

" That's my name . " Chuckling J stood up.

" Visit this park at this time, I'll see you tomorrow " 

Without waiting for reply from Mark , J left the park. ' What a werido with werid name ' Mark thought watching the retreating back of the boy.

*******

As promised earlier J had  visited Mark on the park at same time. They talked a lot about their lifestyle, job , family , friends and of course of Jackson. It became day to day thing for them to visit the park and learn something new about each other. Eventually they became friends. J was funny guy with lot of sense of humor and his company always entertained Mark , he  felt comfortable around other.

" Any progress yet ? " Mark asked as soon as J took his usual seat.

" No " 

The answer was always the same. Mark had once thought of moving on with his life and forget Jackson but that thought alone made his heart clench painfully inside his chest. Jackson was his heartbeat and a heart is worthless without it's beat . The lost boy was his source of wramth, a warmth that no amount of blankets or hot beverage could provide him.

" Honestly why do you want to find Jackson so desperately ? " 

" Something are too precious to let go J " 

" What if we are happier if we let them go ? " 

" Then the happiness is fake , it's a mask that will hide your pain from others. No matter how much you pretend to be happy you can't lie to your own soul, you can't deny the pain you feel deep inside your heart. " 

" Mark, sometimes learning to move on is only thing we can do. Noone will stay by your side forever even your shadow leaves you when it's dark. I am not saying that erasing someone from life is easy , it may scar you but when the scars are healed everything will be alright. " 

" How am I supposed to move on leaving my heart behind ? One day or other you will stumble into past and the wounds that had healed earlier would reopen again scarring you forever. That time however the scars won't heal. " 

J sighted in response.  There was  no point in arguing with Mark.

" Was Jackson that precious to you ? "

" Whenever you watch the night sky there's this brightest shining star that makes you forget even the existence of moon right ?  Jackson was like that star. He was my first friend. He was the one I fell in love with . " 

Mark replied a painful yet happy smile forming on his lips.

" Is that the reason  you wanted to find Jackson because you love him ?  What if he doesn't love you back ? " 

" It doesn't matter if he loves me or not just his presence will enough for me to live on "

" I am sure he will return your feelings. He would be stupid if he doesn't. You are beautiful inside and out Mark. That boy is really very lucky "

" You will say the same about Jackson "

" I can't say right now if I will praise him or not. You haven't met him for ten  years Mark , he may have changed. "

" I hope he hasn't changed. Will I be able to see him again ? " 

Mark's face saddened and J suddenly felt guilty for bringing up topic that was sensitive to his friend.

" Mark look there's icecream vendor across the street  "  

Thankfully that was able to distract Mark's attention.

" Do you want one ? " 

Mark nodded his head  like a obedient little child.

" Which flavour ? "

" Mixed " 

J ran across the road immediately and within minutes brought a cone of icecream handing it to Mark.

Mark the melted cream happily. He was too busy  in eating to notice J looking at his adroableness with heart eyes. 

" Didn't you buy one for yourself ? " 

Mark asked finally lifting eyes from sweet treat to J.

" No "

" Here you can take a bite "

J watched half eaten extended cone on Mark's hand. Leaning in slightly he bit the side off. The  sweet ,cold cream melted into his mouth immediately.

" Isn't is sweet ? " 

" Not more than you " 

*********

" I love you Mark " 

The confession was so unexpected that  Mark took it  as some sort of joke.

" Stop joking around J " 

" I am dead serious " 

" Look J you a good person to around. You are handsome , you have the greatest personality ever but I don't have time for love. I need to find Jackson first " 

" When you find him I would be gone already " 

Mark didn't hear the mumble instead his focus was  on the  bracelet J holding.

" Did you buy it for me ? "

" Yes but I will give it to you the day you'll return my feelings. "

J had smiled at him and the topic had died there.

******

Sitting on the cemetery park had been Mark's favourite thing to do these days. Aside from peace and isolation , the park had exotic and enchanting scenery specially during sunset when the sky seemed to meet the earth. Sometimes Mark would be so captivated by the beauty of nature that it would be late evening by the time he returned home.

But today the pastel sunset wasn't what attracted his attention , it was the clouds that were scattered around the infinite sky with various shape and sizes. Mark was amused by the natural artist who could paint things according to your imagination. He traced a face with his imagination named it as Jackson. Mark was frustrated that he couldn't even remember face of his best friend.

" Mark , Mark " 

A familiar voice made it's presence and Mark lifted his head up. J ran to him holding a piece of paper in his hand.

" Look I found the address " 

" What address ? " 

" Jackson's address " 

Mark instantly jerked up snatching the paper from J's hand. He studied the paper looked at J then back at paper.

" A___are you serious ? " 

" One hundred percent. I found it after begging with international search team and police to provide information of this boy and look here it is " 

" Thank you. Thank you so much " 

Mark mumbled  hugging J tightly.

" I am going to kick Jackson's for causing us so much trouble. " 

" Is it possible for us to visit this address today? " 

" Uh__ yes. It's not far from here " 

" Let's go then " 

********

Thousands of emotions ran through his heart as Jackson's house came into view. Among those emotions happiness was the most strong one. He was finally going to find his long lost best friend.  ' What would be Jackson's reaction ? Would he recognize me ? Would he be as happy as I am ?' His brain was asking him a lot questions. He glanced at J whose face was painted in painful expression.

" Hey J , don't worry. I am not going to leave you . And I am sure Jackson would be more than happy to meet you . We three will be best of best friends. " 

J smiled at him sadly.

" Aren't we going together ? " 

 Mark asked as he saw J wasn't following him.

" No, I am not. You go ahead. I'll be waiting here " 

Mark nodded his head continuing his footsteps towards the front door.

" Mark " 

Suddenly he was engulfed into tight , warm hug. Something wet fell on his hand.

"  Are you crying ? " 

" N_no it's just I don't know why I am feeling really emotional right now " 

" We aren't parting ways J. Now wipe away those ugly tears it doesn't suit on your handsome face " 

Mark broke the hug.

His heart thumped with anticipation and nervousness as he stood in front of the door. Just one push and he will be able to find Jackson. With sweaty palms he knocked the door. Once . Twice.

The door was opened by a old lady.

" What do you want young boy ? " 

" I__is this w__where Jackson Wang resides ?" 

" Yes, he used to live here . " 

" What do you mean by used to ? Doesn't he live here anymore? " 

" No,  no more" 

" Oh " 

Mark turned to leave.

" Wait . What's your name boy ?" 

" Mark " 

" You aren't Mark Tuan are you " 

" Uh , actually I am " 

" Oh come in then . Come in " 

The old lady gestured him to enter the house. The interior was decorated with lots of wall paintings and drawings. The lady made him sit on comfortable looking sofa and sat herself beside him.

" Jackson used to talk a lot about you." 

" R__really ? " 

" Where's does he live now ?" 

"You don't know anything about him,  do you? " 

" N__no " 

" Then you don't know of his accident too. My grandson h__he is no more " 

The old lady was trying hard not to cry.

" What do you mean ? " 

" Jackson died " 

' Jackson died' ' Jackson died ' the word repeated on his head again and again. He felt numb , his mind couldn't process things. 

" N__no Jackson can't die. He can't die. I need to find him " 

Mark kept on repeating like a broken record.

" Mark " the grandma shook his shoulder. 

" Do you want to see Jackson's room ? " 

She unlocked the nearby room and Mark unconsciously entered inside.

The room seemed untouched. A neatly made bed was placed on the left corner with wardrobe by it's side. A wooden study table stood in the middle of the room , few books were scattered on the top. Medals were hung on the wall with a fencing suit. 

Mark ran his fingers through the fabric of clothes and inhaling the faint scent. Tears brimmed on corner of his eyes but he was determined to steel his heart against all the emotions. He can't let his emotions win, he can't let his wall break.

Mark prepared to leave the room along with Jackson's memories behind it. There was no meaning in staying . Jackson wasn't going to return back ever again.

While crossing the room , he stumbled upon the edge of table and a book fell down with a loud thump. Bending down he lifted it up and something slipped pass it's pages. He gently placed the book back on table and picked up the fallen photograph. The photo was of a young boy with bright smile and familiar puppy dog eyes. It made him freeze in a place and his blood ran cold.

" J " 

Mark turned the photo back , written on it was a name , J. W- Jackson Wang.

Everything clicked on his mind now. Him finding J at cemetery park, J offering to help him, J confessing all of sudden, J finding the address when no one was able to. 

All along Jackson was with him but Mark couldn't recognize. He was so near to Mark yet so far away.

Mark ran out of the house to where Jackson was standing earlier but now there was none instead a piece of paper and bracelet were placed on the floor.

" Dear Mark,

Remember I had promised to be there whenever you need me ? I will keep that promise , always. I will be in the warmth of sunlight , I will be on droplets of rain. I will be your brightest shining star on the night sky looking down at you. And whenever you close your eyes you will find me in your heartbeat. I am walking besides you , feel me. I love you Mark, I always have and I  will. Jackson will  always protect Mark " 

" Jackson " 

Mark screamed.

" J__Jackson " 

The wall he had built crumbled down into pieces and hot salty tears fell from his eyes , down his chin and landed on the paper.

" I love you " 

______________****************______________________

* wears bullet proof jacket * You are probably thinking of ways to murder me. 

Thank you all the readers who spend their precious time to read this story.

Please leave comments below👇

 Keep loving MARKSON !!!!!!!