one

Rose Petals

He feels childishly selfish and unrestrained at the thought of letting the moment pass them by, letting it drift away in the wind like the lingering gazes and laughs they had shared meant nothing at all. Is it bad that he's asking for so much in such little time? Is it vain to think himself so important that she'd halt part of her life just to match the pace he has to comply by.

He wants to laugh at his luck, laugh at the fact that he's managed to get out relatively unscathed from one hellhole only to let his heart dig its own giant pitfall. But hearts don't listen to reason and his mind is foggy with need. Need for her and the way her eyes turn into half moons when she smiles, need for the way she hits him for teasing her and then buries her face into his shoulder to hide the pink that rushes to her cheeks.

Desire for her, just her and the welcoming warmth he knows her arms can provide.

When did their friendship turn into more, he wonders. When did wants become needs? When did those needs become deep enough to cut into his veins and leave him bleeding raw? Last year he would have scoffed at the thought of feeling this way, would be amused at being told he'd feel this much for the woman sitting on the passenger seat of his car.

Who could have thought his heart would betray him like this? 

He feels like he’s going insane, feels like the days are trickling out of his hands like grains of sand and there is nothing he can do but watch. God has quite the sense of humor, he thinks, to give him so much - to give him her - only pull the rug from beneath his feet and ask him to return it all. 

The car comes to a soft halt on an inconspicuous corner not far from her apartment building, close to a small coffee shop across the street. There aren't many cars on the road or people walking about, and for a brief moment he feels a sense of relief. 

It doesn't last long though, because as he turns to look at her she is already gazing up at him from her seat, curious eyes roaming his face in wonder. The look in them is enough to knock out what little breath he still has in his lungs. 

He wants to kiss her. He wants to hold her and guard her from what’s to come, cup her heart in his hands and protect it with his life so she’d never feel pain again because he knows, he knows what she will say. 

That’s why he fell in love with her in the first place.

He feels selfish. He is selfish. 

But his heart can’t fight the greed that wraps tight around it, he can’t fight the yearning, he can’t help but ask. 

"Will you wait for me?” 

 

 

 

 

————————-

Note: I’m in love with their relationship and I pray to the heavens that it only gets stronger with time. They both deserve each other’s hearts <2