Final

It happened to be her
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Growing up in a conservative family, Seulgi was a pretty normal girl. Up until when she met her best friend, Bae Joohyun. Well then again, everything was less than platonic between them. Joohyun would share her deepest darkest secrets, everything from her fears to her favourite undies. And Seulgi didn't mind. They weren't that close, but they were best friends because they knew each other so well. Seulgi sometimes think Joohyun knows herself better than she does.

 

They were six. In kindergarten, Seulgi was a quiet kid, she sits by herself and does her own business, mainly doodling small cartoon figures in her book. But that doesn't stop herself from feeling lonely sometimes especially during recess, because nobody wanted to play with her. Until one day, Joohyun approached her. "Hi! I'm Joohyun." Seulgi looks up to see a very pretty girl in front of her with a cute button nose. She was slightly taller than the rest of the kids and had golden brown hair. Not getting a response from the bear-like girl, Joohyun musters up the courage to start the conversation again, (she was six, she was shy). "why do you wear dresses all the time?"

Seulgi humms while she thinks, "because my mom made me wear them." 

Joohyun smiles and they end up playing with each other ever since that day. In primary school, Seulgi moved away. She was still the quite girl that she was, and never really minded what other people thought about her. Seulgi no longer wears dresses, instead she opts to hoodies, jeans and comfy tees. She never met Joohyun again up until she was in high school. The sixteen-year-old was busy carrying books out from her locker, ready to get into class when she turned around and bumped into someone. A familiar lavender scent invaded her system but Seulgi being Seulgi, paid no mind to it. She crouched down to help the girl pick up her books that's sprawled on the ground in front of her while mumbling a string of apologies. After gathering the books, she looked up to see a beautiful girl, long golden brown hair cascading down her shoulder and covering the most part of her face. "Are you new here?", Seulgi asked. The mystery girl gazed up to meet Seulgi's deep brown eyes, but never said anything, she just kept staring. The girl was completely silent, as if she was thinking. Seulgi felt awkward being stared at, no one has ever locked eyes with her that long. "Okay.... then, um. I'll see you around." Seulgi softly passed her books back to the girl and walked away. Deep inside herself, she couldn't help but feel that she's seens the girl somewhere before. Seulgi learned the girl's name, Bae Irene. Day by day passed, and she heard rumours about this Bae Irene hating her. It was common, she wasn't the friendliest person in high school. The fact that she hasn't really talked to Irene but ended up being disliked, just bugs her at some level. Unfortunately, she was paired up with Irene for their upcoming arts project. Seulgi didn't really mind, as long as Irene wasn't vocal about hating her. They agreed to meet up at Seulgi's place to get the work done. Their exchange was silent and quite but not extremely uncomfortable either. After a few more weeks working with Irene, she kinda warmed up to the girl. She had a hearty laugh, perfect straight teeth, a good talker, kinda brilliant and smart and God, she's so gorgeous. But most of all, she liked the way she felt with Irene. Seulgi felt comfortable and safe as if being with Irene was home for her. It was 10pm that night, both teens were finalising some finishing their final submission. Seulgi felt bold and straight up asked her, "So, um I heard you hated me?" completely avoiding eye contact.

Irene chuckled lightly but what surprised her was that she didn't deny her statement. In fact, it was true. "Yeah, do you know why?"

"Honestly, no, I don't. Did I say something? Or do something to you? I mean, I never really talked to you up until now."

Irene shook her head. She stood up silently and walked over to Seulgi's bed taking a seat next to the bedside table. Seulgi was puzzled on what the girl was actually implying. So, she watched her every move, carefully. Irene picked up a photo. "Who's this, Seulgi-yah?"

"Oh that's my childhood friend, she's Joohyun. She's the prettiest girl I've ever met. But I moved away. It's been over ten years since I last saw her. What a pity", Seulgi commented nonchalantly.

"Really? I had a best friend too when I was younger, she used to wear dresses every day and she looked like a baby bear at that time. She was really good at drawing too, but its a pity she moved away. Without telling me... I'm kinda sad, you know. I trusted her and stuff. We promised to grow up together. But one day, she was just gone." 

For a second, Seulgi noted sadness in her tone. Then everything else rang a bell to her. Wait a second...How can I be so stupid?! "Oh my god, Joohyun-ah? Is that really you? You're Irene?" She was still in a daze, digesting all the information until she felt a pillow smacking her face, flying half way from across the room.

"How can you not remember me?! You stupid bear!! I was excited to see you and all you asked me was whether I'm a new kid?! Are you blind Kang Seulgi?! I hate you, I hate you so much!", Irene's pitch got higher and higher unable to control her anger. Seulgi just walked up to her and held Irene in her arms, "Joohyun-ah, I miss you~", practically breathing her words out. It was too overwhelming for her and she couldn't take in everything all at once. Irene on the other hand, immediately calmed down when Seulgi held her, just like the old times. The only difference now was that Seulgi was taller than her, Joohyun liked it.

 

Not everything was all sun and rainbows though. In her senior year, Irene dated the captain of the football team. They started drifting apart again, it just happened. Everytime Seulgi sees Irene holding hands with that boyfriend of hers, she felt a weird twitch in her chest,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter