Chapter 1

Silver Spoons

. . . 

You were beyond confused when your grandparents clutched you close while apologizing and crying their eyes out. You comfort them while the blubbered something about you leaving and them not being able to protect you.

At first you thought they were feeling sentimental because you were moving out over the summer to start university. But you quickly realized this wasn't the case. Through your grandad's broken-hearted sobbing you realized that yes, you were moving out but no, not to the prearranged apartment that your close-knit group of friends had planned.

You were moving in with Kim Taehyung.

Well not so much with, you were literally going to be uprooted from your once free and happy life to be placed in some stranger's home. All because of a decision your parents had made when you had been a child.

However, he perhaps wasn't a complete stranger, you concluded after googling him. 

Kim Taehyung; something of a prodigy, graduating a year early from university at the age of 21. He will be pursuing a master's degree in business in the future since he is currently learning the ropes of his future company. 

Right. He's also heir to one of the mightiest companies South Korea had to offer. 

But of course, you were no different. Heiress to a shocking fortune and the only child of the deceased business conglomerates who once ran the market from everything to fried chicken to yo-yos. However, due to your parents' tragic passing, you had been raised by your grandparents.

Your grandparents were no pushovers, while they appreciated simple life, they had ensured that you had learned everything there was to know about higher society since they knew that it would be part of your life sooner or later. 

So while you had lived a more simplistic life, you were skilled at being a respected heiress since you were sometimes required to appear briefly at social functions. Any time you had to, you would use Min Yoongi has a human shield; your only friend at these events also happened to be stoic and silent to strangers, a certifiable 'pepper spray' for those looking for conversation. 

The two of you weren't exactly close since you only meet really at these parties, but his dry humour complimented your sarcasm well. Perhaps the two of you got along because you both weren't accustomed to the life of the rich and had fun poking fun at the tediousness of it all. 

But this was the life that lay in store for you and not the one you had been looking forward to for months. Being able to experience both types of life was a benefit, you supposed, but you felt that you grew best outside of gilded houses and ornate jewellery. On your own, you had been accepted by a prestigious university in your program of choice. 

Too bad those plans had been chucked out the window and replaced with the opulent gates that you currently waited in front of. You fiddled idly with the bar of your medium-sized luggage that held your life's possessions. You sighed, why did you decide to talk to him? Maybe you should've just run. But then you remember the mess you would leave behind if you did. Besides, if this goes well maybe you wouldn't have to get married. 

You looked down at your outfit. Sensible and semi-casual with a pair of simple black slacks and burgundy blouse. Hopefully this would suffice and he wouldn't be the snobby type of rich. Besides, if Taehyung was looking for a pretty piece of arm candy, you weren't it. 

. . . 

Lavish life disappeared quickly when your childhood shifted from silver spoons to stainless steel ones. However, no matter how your lifestyle changed, your grandparents never let you forget that you were an heiress. You would eventually come of age and be handed powerful things, and you must know how to use them lest you destroy yourself and everything your family had built. 

So while your expensive clothing and jewellery was put away, your 'lessons' weren't. They were dry, tedious, and beyond frustrating, but you admit that they protected you well from prying eyes and sharp words. Of course, at home you lounged in your sweats but you were well versed in everything in everything haute couture and knew what was 'appropriate' for what event.

It had been wishful thinking that they would've let you off the hook when it came to your love life. You would do well to remember that first and foremost, you were an heiress.

. . . 

When you informed the guards of your presence, scarcely thirty seconds had passed when a car had arrived at the gate. A man dressed tidily in a dark suit took your suitcase without a word before ushering you into the vehicle. The entire exchange threw you for a loop with its briskness and speed. 

You had to hand it to Taehyung, the place was stunning. Disregarding the perfectly kept front gardens, the interior of the mansion was equal parts sumptuous and beautiful. The marble floors gleamed brightly from the light of the chandeliers and the staircase was wide and trimmed with gold. A tad obnoxious if you could say so yourself. 

You held in another sigh, you weren't looking forward to meeting your husband-to-be; you were positive that the feeling was mutual by the cold expression on Kim Taehyung's face as he stepped gracefully into the foyer where you stood, realizing you were woefully underdressed. 

Of course he was wearing a suit that was most definitely made with only him in mind. Its cut and design was tailored to enhance his already impressive masculine beauty. Tall and lean, he cut a figure that screamed with confidence and charm. 

Because Taehyung was absolutely breathtaking; his features weren't soft as you had come to expect aristocracy to be. He had a rugged edge that only added to his charmed aura. His face seemed to be sculpted by an artist, deep eyes, perfectly sloped nose, and inviting lips. 

These lips were pulled back to reveal a smile that seemed more predatory than welcoming, but perhaps that was caused by the sharp gaze from his eyes that you thought fit his character quite well. 

"Good afternoon," you greet casually, hiding the mounting trepidation as his smile grew wider. 

The young man chuckled dryly as he studied you slowly from your head to your feet, not bothering to hide his disdain at your choice of clothing, "So you're supposed to be my wife?"

Your already strained positive attitude was effectively killed and a regal iciness that you had long mastered slipped easily onto your face as you studied him with equal contempt, "Should I put on a wedding dress to make it clearer?"

Taehyung didn't expect the sudden switch of character, but he hid it well. However, this piqued his interest, who exactly was his wife-to-be? Because judging from the brief exchange, you had a few tricks up your sleeve. College student to haughty heiress in less than a second, it seems you've got stories of your own. 

. . . 

You sat primly on one of the chairs in his massive workspace. Filled of course, with shelves and shelves of book to add to the office aesthetic. It didn't matter that your clothes didn't match the situation, your easy grace when sipping the prepared tea was nothing less than a respected lady.   

You set your teacup onto the saucer with a decisive clink, "Yes, Mr. Kim? What was it you wanted to discuss with me?"

Taehyung scrutinizes your mask but cannot discover any flaws, everything screamed control and untouchable beauty. The thought startles him and as his eyes trail over your artfully shaped eyes, pretty nose, and pink lips, he's struck with the realization that he will be living with a beauty for the next part of his life, if not all of it.

You feel his gaze on your features and you fight to keep composed; your teeth barely graze your lower lip before you halt the movement. You lift head to meet his eyes in a challenge. 

Taehyung smiles at the fire in your attitude, it's no kind smile. It's self-assured, provoking, and you ignore the shiver of awareness it causes. 

When he speaks, his voice is low and soft, "Wife-to-be, I think we should lay down some rules because I, to be frank, do not want to marry you."

If he was expecting your eyes to widen with hurt, he was sorely mistaken. You reveal a dangerous smirk of your own as you retort, "Likewise, you haven't exactly demonstrated yourself to be 'husband material'."

Taehyung wondered if you knew how attractive you were with your upturned chin and flashing eyes. And that was when he realized perhaps these rules would be best suited to help keep himself away from you. "Try not to leave the house or have people over, I'm not exactly invisible to the public eye so if something gets out it'll be a mess to fix. Since we have mutually agreed that this is temporary, I'd prefer if there is no permanent record of it."

You cross your legs in a fluid movement. "Hm, can't I just move out? I could easily get a place of my own." This was the question you had aimed to ask since the beginning, but Taehyung was distracting. 

He scoffs, "And take responsibility if some tragic fate were to befall you? I think not. I'd probably be killed several times over by multiple people."

"I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself," you couldn't help but to break your façade with a dramatic roll of the eyes. 

"That's not what that juvenile act suggests," Taehyung counters, watching in fascination as the barest hint of pink was dashed across your cheeks. Pretty. 

You gritted your teeth, embarrassed that he had called you out. "I am no child." He was getting to you, that wasn't a good sign, especially when you felt your heart lurch whenever you met his eyes. "Legal adult here."

Taehyung had only known you were a few years younger and had assumed you were still underage, however, hearing you were an adult didn't exactly help the attraction he felt. "Just listen and don't make our lives more difficult. Don't disturb my side of the house, I'd like to limit our interactions to this instance." 

"Going Beauty and the Beast, now are we?" You muttered under your breath. 

"I'm sorry, what?" 

You smile sweetly, "Nothing, ignore that."

Taehyung shrugs and continues, "Lastly, try not to be a nuisance."

The sweet smile from earlier didn't budge an inch but you could feel your eye twitching, "Is that it, Mr. Kim?"

"Yes, stop calling me Mr. Kim," he states, "I'm from the same generation, Taehyung suffices."

"As you wish, Taehyung."

. . . 

On the first day, you struck up an unlikely friendship with the gardener. While you weren't the most adept with plants and had no green thumb to speak of, you enjoyed the scent of sweet grass and earth. 

After setting your things into the room that the butler had arranged, you stepped outside to explore the stunning gardens that you hadn't had the chance to enjoy on your way to the mansion. Placing a straw hat on your head to defend yourself from both the heat and sunlight, you started your stroll. 

"Hello, miss?" A boy with mussed up hair and mud-stained jeans appeared in front of you while pushing a large wheelbarrow. 

"Hey," you reply, unsure how to explain your presence, "I'm uh, Taehyung's..." Somehow, kinda-arranged-wife-but-not-really didn't fit. 

A little sparkle appeared in the youth's eyes as he studied you curiously, "Are you Young Master Kim's girlfriend?"

"No," you immediately clear yourself from the title, "Well, it's complicated."

"I didn't mean to pry," he frowns, but it quickly turns into a welcoming smile. "I'm Jung Hoseok, but my friends call me Hobi. If it wasn't obvious yet, I'm the gardener."

The refreshing change from your previous conversation with Taehyung made you grin happily at the sunny male. "It may be presumptuous to call you Hobi since we've only just met, but you'll just have to deal with it."

"Nah, I have the feeling we'll be fast friends," he smiles, "Student?"

You shake your head, "No, not really. I had been planning to go to university after the summer, but there's been a change in plans. What about you?"

"We're the same age then!" He exclaims with relief, "Thank the heavens, I've been working here since three summers ago and there is absolutely no one to talk to at this place. If you hadn't noticed already, this place is chock full of adults who take their lives too seriously."

You chuckle at the subtle jibe at Taehyung, "Does that include the young master?"

An embarrassed blush appeared on Hobi's cheeks as he awkwardly shakes his head.

"Don't worry, no one heard what you said," you reassure him, "What did you say?"

He plays along, "I was just singing the praises of the one and only Kim Taehyung."

"Sounds about right."

The two of you burst into laughter and you follow him to the east gardens, spending the rest of the day t bushes and joking around happily. Perhaps your time spent here wouldn't be as bad as you had initially thought. 

. . .

a/n my very first bts ff, go easy on me lol. i messed around with their ages to fit the story better. sorry if that bothers anyone. 

yeah, hope you enjoy it~!

also don't plagiarize my cliché/cringe fest pls. thanks.