New Home

Save The Last Dance

 

Rain spattered against the airplane window as the flight attendant instructed everyone to prepare for landing. A young woman with shoulder length hair and the classic beauty of a swan stared out of the window beside her as her fingers came up to toy with the penguin shaped pendant around her neck. It had been three months since she had closed herself off to the world, three months since she had lost all of her dreams and ambitions, and three months since she had found herself alone. Painful memories threatened to overtake her as the plane taxied the runway and she pushed them away, shoving them down into the deepest part of her soul. The jagged edges of the broken pieces dug into her insides and she wondered how many more months until she was too numb to feel them anymore. One simple carryon bag and one wheeled luggage container pulled haphazardly from the baggage claim belt and she was on her way travelling down the terminal. A tall woman wearing a hesitant smile stood out among the crowd. She then understood with a sense of finality and an overwhelming heaviness that this was her life. Myoui Mina was home.

“Hey baby girl,” a raspy voice greeted her as she was pulled into an awkward hug, “How was the flight?”

Mina said nothing instead opting for shrugging her shoulders slightly as the woman took her rolling luggage from her.

“I guess you’re pretty tired,” the woman tried again as they began walking toward the exit, “Come on let’s get you home.”

Hyeonju was her mother’s best friend, and Mina’s God Mother. When Mina was younger she had looked up to both her God Mother and her mother, but when Hyeonju had decided to follow her dream it was as if Mina and her mother had been cast aside. Hyeonju became Jessi, assuming the stage name as her notoriety grew. Times got hard after Jessi left, but even though her mother struggled, Mina never wanted for anything. Expensive dance recitals, ballet lessons, time, money, exhaustion all went to fuel Mina’s dream. Looking back on it now she felt so selfish for the way she had been. She was too busy perfecting her talent and brushing off her mother’s compliments because she thought she could do better; she never appreciated the time they had. What she wouldn’t give to get all of those moments back.

“So kiddo, what do you want for dinner I can order out or…”

“I’m not hungry,” Mina readily replied with a monotone answer.

“Ah…” Jessi nodded before her lips, “Look Mina your mom…”

“I don’t want to talk about it,” Mina huffed out the words continuing to stare out of the window.

Jessi’s fingers tightened on the steering wheel, but she remained silent as they pulled up to a small town house. It was on a private street and looked demure compared to the images of grandeur Mina had conjured up in her mind. Jessi helped her carry her bags inside and Mina followed silently like a ghost up a flight of stairs and down a hall to what would be her room.

“Well here you go,” Jessi set her suitcase on the bed watching Mina as she entered, “I’m going to order out in case…you know…you get hungry later.”

Mina did not respond as she ped her bags and began unpacking her things. Jessi shoved her hands in her pockets as she watched for a few minutes. However it soon became clear Mina had no interest in conversing beyond what was politely necessary. Jessi rolled her eyes and in an inner monologue asked whoever might be listening up high for guidance. Mina sighed as she barely filled the empty closet and drawers with her belongings before setting out a small picture frame on her bedside table. Most of her recent pictures of her mother were on her phone, but this picture she cherished the most. It was a picture of the three of them; Jessi, her mother Mirai, and herself. She was six years old and sitting on top of her God Mother’s shoulders as she leaned down for her mother to kiss her cheek. A rumble of thunder reverberated in the walls as slow disjointed drops of rain soon turned into a steady cacophony. Mina had just slipped into her pajamas when there was a light knock on the door.

“Come in,” she spoke quietly and watched as Jessi slipped inside.

“All settled in?” Jessi rubbed her hands together feeling awkward. Mina nodded and sat silently on the bed as Jessi cautiously approached her. “Mina, I know none of this is easy…”

Jessi sighed as she picked up the picture frame, “Your mom always loved this picture.”

“I know,” Mina replied flatly plucking the frame from Jessi’s fingers and replacing it back on the table.

“Oh,” Jessi suddenly reached into her pocket pulling out a plastic card, “I almost forgot, I got this bus pass for you and a key to the house, I’ll drop you off at school in the morning but I have a recording session after so I won’t be able to pick you up.”

“Fine,” Mina groused taking it and tossing it carelessly on the table.

“Hey,” Jessi finally growled losing her patience, “We’ve both had to make some adjustments…”

“Sorry me being dropped here is such an inconvenience for you,” Mina bit out as her anger simmered just beneath the surface.

“That’s not what I…” Jessi huffed, “Forget it, you want to walk around with your on your shoulders be my guest.”

Jessi felt her heart tighten in her chest as she walked out of the bedroom with agitated strides. Mina threw herself back on the bed in frustration as tears leaked from the corners of her eyes. She hated it here. She wanted to go back to Japan, back to her friends, her old school, back to the way things had been. Above all else she wanted her mother back.

The next morning found Mina awaking to the sound of gentle knocking. She groaned when she realized that she had not been dreaming and was in fact in Korea living in her God Mother’s home.

“Mina?” Jessi called through the wood, “Mina get up you have to get ready for school.”

“I’m up,” Mina replied in a voice thick with sleep.

After a quick shower and dressing Mina shuffled down the stairs and into the kitchen. She slumped onto one of the barstools resting her arms on the cool marble countertop. Jessi set a glass of orange juice in front of her along with a small stack of pancakes.

“I’m not hungry,” Mina spoke quietly even as her stomach gurgled.

Jessi smirked watching the young woman sip her glass of juice, “Eat them anyway.”

Mina grudgingly picked up her fork and began cutting into the fluffy masterpieces.

“When did you learn to cook?” Mina asked around a mouthful.

“Well, I live alone,” Jessi shrugged sipping her coffee, “It was either learn to cook or starve.”

“Look I was thinking about it last night and along with your bus pass you’ll need some money so I want you to take my card…” Jessi pulled the piece of plastic from her bag and slid it over the counter to Mina.

“I don’t need your money,” Mina protested flatly, “You can’t buy affection you know.”

“Damn it Mina cut me some slack here, I’m doing the best I can,” Jessi growled setting her empty coffee mug in the sink.

Mina finished her pancakes in silence and pushed the plate away as she stood. Grabbing her bag off the floor and swiping the card off the counter she walked to the door to slip on her shoes. Jessi shook her head and was left with little choice but to grab her keys and follow in the young woman’s wake. After collecting her class schedule and books at the front office Mina headed to her first class with a heavy heart. She slipped inside instantly gaining the attention of her classmates as she shuffled to a desk in the back. The quiet whispers and giggles were disconcerting as she pulled out her notebook and pen. She hated being the new girl in town and hoped the attention would die down sooner rather than later. The rustle of clothing and a body dropping into the seat next her had her eyes automatically coming up to look at her neighbor.

“Don’t worry about it you’ll be old news by next week,” the young woman whom had occupied the seat next her smiled brightly before extending her hand, “Jung Wheein, nice to meet you.”

“Miyoui Mina,” she replied quietly as she took the young woman’s hand and shook it.

The word puppy came to mind as she watched the other woman fidget in her seat before smiling brightly. The dimple in her cheek was endearing and Mina found herself smiling in turn. The class was settling into their seats when one last student strode through the door. She had long blond hair, wore a simple graphic tee and jeans. Looking up from her phone she locked eyes with Mina and offered a small smug smirk before turning her back and taking her seat. Mina felt like her heart had stopped beating for a pace or two as she took in the beautiful young woman.

“I can introduce you if you want,” Wheein whispered as she narrowed her eyes with a knowing look. Mina felt heat rush to her cheeks and ears as she sank down into her chair and tried to calm her embarrassment.

“That’s Gong Minzy, she’s the captain of our dance team,” Wheein explained, “Do you dance?”

“Not anymore,” Mina shook her head and picked up her pen as their teacher finally entered the room.

“What do you mean?” Wheein tilted her head in curiosity.

“I used to dance ballet, but…” Mina bit her lip deciding how much she wanted to divulge to someone she had just met, “I just don’t anymore.”

“Uh-huh,” Wheein nodded slowly almost thoughtfully, “Well we don’t have ballet here, but you should stop by one of our practices it’ll be fun.”

“You’re on the team?” Mina asked in hopes of deflecting the conversation away from herself.

“Of course, you should let me introduce you, a pretty girl like you will make friends in no time,” Wheein winked and Mina rolled her eyes unable to resist a small smile.

When she looked back toward the front of the class she nearly swallowed her tongue. The young woman Wheein had called Minzy was looking right at her with a cool expression, the same smug smirk still curling her lips. Mina let out a small breath of relief when the other woman’s attention was captured by a raven haired woman who dropped into the seat next to her. They laughed together before Minzy gestured behind her with her head and the new arrival looked directly at Mina. She made a comment to the blond and wiggled her eyebrows causing Minzy to shove her shoulder playfully.

“That’s Kang Seulgi,” Wheein supplied, “She’s also on the dance team, don’t…uh…don’t look at her too long, her girlfriend is super jealous, but otherwise she’s really a sweetheart.”

“Who’s her girlfriend?” Mina felt herself drawn in to learning more about her newfound friend.

“Bae Joohyun she’s a senior,” Wheein explained before suddenly taking interest in the class schedule on Mina’s desk, “May I?”

Mina barely had time to nod before the paper was snatched up by Wheein’s eager hands.

“Oh wow we have a lot of classes together, that’ll be fun, except English, but no worries my friend Seungwan is in that class I’ll introduce you,” Wheein suddenly placed the paper back on her desk and turned forward as the teacher took notice of their conversation and frowned.

Mina wasn’t sure how she felt about suddenly making a new friend especially one as enthusiastic as Wheein. However the girl was charming and add to the fact she happened to not only know but be friends with the woman Mina assumed to be the school’s girl crush, Minzy, was a definite bonus.