One

An offer you can't refuse
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 “Dahyun, that is your third mimosa this evening.”

  She eyed her partner from across the crowded room, noting the eager way she drained the glass of its contents.

  “This has got to be believable right?” Dahyun’s voice blared in her ear canal with a small burst of static. If she hadn’t have been used to it, she might have flinched, but instead she took another small sip of the (single) drink she had been nursing since this mission was undertaken. She gave another brief sweep of the room, looking for any anomalies before she replied. Hard eyes landed on the hot bartender giving Dahyun a look somewhere between mild concern and indifferent amusement.

  “There’s a difference between being believable and taking advantage of the situation, Dubz.” She witnessed Dahyun flagging down said hot bartender again, ordering another drink. She watched the mental calculation play out on the girls’ face before she agreed, Jihyo silently approving of how diligent this girl was in monitoring her patrons.

  She took another sip of her drink, letting the sharp, tangy taste of rum and coke spill over her tongue before swallowing quickly. This had to be believable, but that didn’t mean she had to enjoy it.

  She wishes she could say the same for Dahyun, who had now begun shuffling her way on to the dancefloor in a very wobbly execution of the next part of their plan.

  Jihyo sighed and tapped the side of her watch twice, establishing an open communications link to the third member of their team.

  “Son, what’s Kim’s drink tolerance like? You know her more than me.” She sighed good naturedly, sure that the microphone clipped just inside one of her earrings would be able to filter out the thumping bass of whatever club track was vibrating her table and pick up her murmured words.

  “Uhh,” a voice droned in her ear, devoid of the burst of static because Chaeyoung actually knew how to wait before speaking into her microphone, “what and how many has she had?”

  Jihyo swilled the leftover alcohol in her glass, not particularly keen on finishing it.

  “Mimosa, and four.” Jihyo answered, keeping movements as minimal as possible to prevent suspicion. Their target could be watching them, she wasn’t sure, but that was why Dahyun was already  dancing with her sixth person of the night in an attempt to flush out information. She was good, Jihyo admitted reluctantly, even if she was throwing out some questionable movements right now.

  She kind of liked the over exuberant young agent, she’d realised pretty soon after their first mission as a team.

  “Oh, she’s completely fine.” The voice in her ear said dismissively. “Dubz has drunk the commander under the table before, so something like that is probably not even enough to get her buzzed.”

  “You should get her to challenge Nayeon.” Jihyo laughed, watching her partner move onto suitor number ten.

 Not that Nayeon is good at drinking, Jihyo muses. She’s just very stubborn and won't back down from a challenge.

  (And also a highly amusing drunk.)

  “If we’re even allowed to associate with her team now.” Chaeyeong grumbled in her ear, causing Jihyo to sigh and place her glass down.

  “Hey, I’m sorry things happened like it did.”

  “No no no!” Chaeng started, tripping over her tongue in her haste, “I like having you on the team a lot don’t get me wrong, I just-“

  “You miss your girlfriend, right?”

  The silence in her ear drowned out the screams and cheers in the club, Dahyun’s included.

  “Yeah,” a heavy sigh, probably accompanied by a frustrated ruffle of her hair. She was learning the habits of her new team members, little by little. “I do, a lot.”

  “Maybe it was a little stupid to try and make out on base.”

  Jihyo snorted into her mic, almost blowing her appearance of a sane club goer, masking it by bringing the mostly empty glass up to her lips. The agency didn’t allow inter-team relationships, in fact, they frowned heavily on relationships between agents in general. Missions became difficult, even more so when there were relationships and feelings involved, making even the best of agents second guess decisions or drop the mission entirely if a loved one was in danger.

  So when their commander walked into what he thought was an empty communication room to find one of their best tech agents on top of their newest field agent, he blanched and understandably separated immediately.

  Jihyo, the agency’s longest running field agent, found herself being swapped effective immediately with the newest recruit. Chou Tzuyu found herself on a team with Im Nayeon and  Yoo Jeongyeon (who exchanged uneasy looks when they learned the reason Tzuyu had been placed with them) and Park Jihyo was planted firmly in a team consisting of Kim Dahyun and Son Chaeyoung.

  “You guys just need to learn the tricks of the trade.” Jihyo teased, thinking of her former team mates who’d been getting away with this game for years now. “There are plenty of places on site where you can get away for a little… rendezvous .”

  “Shut up,” came the murmured reply, making a small smile break out on the agent’s face. She looked down at the table to hide it, despite no one being around to see it.

  “Hi.”

  It took her a moment to realise that voice came from in front of her instead of her ear, and so she dragged her eyes off of the table to look up. She forced herself not to react like she wanted to, which should have been eyes wide open and jaw on the floor.

  “Hi.” She responds pathetically, hearing Chaeng’s soft snicker in her ear. The woman standing in front of her is beautiful, to an extent that Jihyo’s not even sure she’s real, and then she flashes the agent a big, toothy grin and Jihyo feels her stomach drop somewhere to the sticky club floor.

   Remember the mission.

  “What’s a beautiful lady like yourself doing all alone in a club?” She asked, her voice soft and high and audible despite the volume of the thumping bass coming from the oversized speakers.

  “I could ask you the same question.” Jihyo retorts, hand holding the almost empty glass of drink so she’d at least have something to do with them. She hears another snicker in her ear and she’s sure it’s because Chaeng is viewing her vitals on a screen some couple of miles away and watching her heart rate spike violently. She takes another sip of her drink to quell the ball of nerves in her stomach.

  “I don’t know about you,” the girl began, taking a seat on the stool next to Jihyo with crossed legs, “but I’m looking for someone to dance with.”

  Jihyo felt a high-heeled foot drag itself up her bare calf and she resisted the urge to shudder. She looked into positively bewitching eyes, and lips bared so teasingly in front of her.

  “Is that so?” Jihyo mused, years of training keeping her voice stable and not at all stuttering like she knew she would be in any other scenario. She hoped Chaeng was looking at the feed from the miniscule camera in one of the sequins from her dress.

  “Go.” Came the voice in her ear, excitement and dread mixing in her stomach at the approval. “I’m getting some hits from her face but it might take me awhile to clean the images enough to get something concrete, but that might be her.”

  Jihyo gulped and it had nothing to do with the girl in front of her, who’s smile grew wolfish at Jihyo’s apparent nervousness. Perfect, she thought.

  “I’d hate to disappoint.” Jihyo sighed, flicking her eyes up to look directly into the pair that hadn’t left her own since she arrived at her table. The effect was immediate, a slender hand reaching forward to wrap tightly around Jihyo’s dress and tug her from her stool. Jihyo barely had time to pull her dress down to an appropriate level, the fabric riding up from all her time sat observing on the stool, before she found herself deep in the crowd of club goers pressed against the slim body who dragged her in. The people around her jostled them both, shifting and sliding against each other automatically.

  An unfamiliar hand came to rest on her hips, moving them both to the swaying rhythm of a jamaican infused track that she couldn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter