Pale Senior

Pale Senior

You were a nervous wreck. Suddenly, you got all of the realization that you shouldn’t have listened to your guide professor. You had better grades than most of students your year, he said. You should take more classes, he said. You could take upper class, he said.

Now what is this?

Five minutes before the appointed time of the lecture and you seriously didn’t know anyone in the room. Your professor said there were four people of your year taking that class but, duh, blame your reserved self, you couldn’t find them. Or worse, they were probably already there, but you didn’t know them. Double duh.

The lecturer finally came in. A middle-aged man dressed casually and didn’t bring anything except a black laptop in his left hand. That wasn’t what caught your eye. The four people tagging along behind him were. They parted to their own desired seat, mostly next to their friends. But one pale boy strode closer and closer to you. Your mind finally registered the fact that the seat next to you was unoccupied and he probably aimed for that.

He threw you a bored glance which you weren’t sure whether he was truthfully bored or he was honestly that uninterested to you. “Is this seat taken?” he asked in a half whisper.

Never been good in a small talk, you only shook your head profusely. You rechecked if your bag or jacket or anything was on his way as he took the seat. Thanks to heaven, there wasn’t any.

“Okay, the people who went to the class behind me, raise your hand,” asked the lecturer while he was turning on his laptop. “I know there were four, so don’t try to hide yourself.” The class rumbled in a low chuckle as the four intended students raised their hand.

The senior beside you did too, and he was also slightly laughing. He was laughing, and his oh-so-bored aura was still there. He was laughing, and it was so sweet. By then you noticed that his bored expression was how the way his face were.

“I’m tolerating you guys because this is the first meeting. Next time, I will close the door as I come in and nobody is allowed to join my class after the door is closed, understand?” What fun was the way the lecturer said it coolly, as if it wasn’t a big deal. 

You stole a glance to the boy next to you while he let out another low laughter and he said, ‘yes’ along with the other late students. He was pale. Truthfully pale. His eyes were beautifully slanted and droopy, probably that was why he looked so bored.

The lecturer started talking again and you turned your gaze back to the front where it should. He was saying something about since today was the first meeting, there would be no actual lesson yet. Instead they would take notes about the summary of what they were going to learn in the whole semester. As the students were told to write, you felt a light tap on your shoulder.

“I’m sorry I was in a rush and didn’t come prepared. Can I borrow a pen?” he asked with a sorry smile written in his bored face. You internally concluded inside your head that, indeed, the bored ambience was just he the way he was. You could say he was warm, even.

A slight smile found its way to your face as you nodded. “Wait,” you told him and you gave him one of your pens that you just took from your bag.

He mouthed ‘thanks’ and he scrunched his nose as he said it. The only thing went inside your head was, he was pretty.

The class went on. You were still a nervous wreck, but everything was going well. There were no annoying or arrogant seniors like you afraid would be. There was no teaming up, yet, maybe. At least not for now.  You could keep up with the materials that were taught. The quiet senior who sat beside you made you so self-conscious. But over all, it was okay.

As promised, the class ended sooner. The lecturer wrapped up the class after checking the attendance. It was almost unbearable to be in a class with no one you knew, so you quickly packed your things.

“I’m bad with faces so don’t get offended if I don’t remember you, but are you in the same year as me?” It almost made you jump out of your seat. It wasn’t that he asked to loud or too harsh, but because you didn’t expect it at all. You didn’t expect him to initiate any conversation at all. Let alone such a personal and warm question.

“No,” you answered hesitantly, couldn’t muster words to answer his question. “I’m actually underclassman. My guide professor suggested I could take upper classes, so I did.” You whole-heartedly wished you didn’t sound cocky. “Nice to meet you,” you added. He was the first senior you knew in this class anyway. The first person you knew in this class at all, in fact.

He silently opened his mouth in an understanding manner. “No wonder.” There were no additional explanation to his short comments and it honestly made your mind wander. No wonder he didn’t recognized you? No wonder you were so friendless? No wonder you looked so timid? No wonder what? You wanted to bombard in to his face if only you had the courage.

His fingers moved in calm manner to pack his own belongings, which was actually not much. “I don’t know if you pay attention to the attendance checking but I’m Min Yoongi,” he said sluggishly as he zipped his back.

“Yow, Suga, let’s go grab some lunch and stop hitting up on underclassman. I see you.” Another senior walked across the room to the door. He was winking at the boy beside you with one of his hand lifted in a casual waving manner when you turned your head. Your eyes widen a little at the joking remarks but you could help but laughed a little. As if asking for any explanation, you turned your eyes back to the person beside you.

To your surprise, he was part laughing, part sneering, and part planning something. Yoongi still had his eyes on the boy in front of the class. “Shut up, Namjoon, I’m going to kill you. Go to the cafeteria first, I’ll catch up, and I’m still going to kill you!” he half shouted at the disappearing boy by the door of the class.

“Don’t mind him,” he said as soon as his attention was back to you. Your face clearly showed that you held back laughter and as he noticed that, he let out a chuckle himself. One of his palms raised in a gesture to take time to pause. He clamped his lips, clearly going to say something. “Normal people call me Yoongi, okay?” He gave you a very warm smile. “But some retarded s call me Suga, so don’t get confused,” he warned with a snort. “And don’t ask why the call me that, because the reason is ridiculous.”

Yoongi stood from his seat and brought his bag along. “So I guess I’ll see you next time? Let’s do well on this class,” he said with that warm smile of his again, this time even wider. “Nice to meet you too—” And you heard him mumbled your given name. It caught you off guard at first, about how he knew your name. Seconds later you remembered he must have noted it from the attendance checking. But again, it caught you off guard as to how he had paid attention to the attendance checking to know your name.

You nodded and gave him your best smile for his effort. Yoongi replied with a nod and slight wave of bye.

He was beautiful and enchanting, nonetheless. Ah, you forgot to ask your borrowed pen.
 

 

 


I know, I know, I wrote gibberish. But still, I hope you enjoyed it