Lucid Dreams

Lucid Dreams
Please log in to read the full chapter

She was born this way. With this ability to see inside people’s minds. She considered this a gift. However, this power had its limits as Sua could only use it at night and specifically only on people that were sleeping. In her own mind, she considered herself a ‘dream-maker; a girl existing to make your mind lighter and joyful so that nightmares could not reach it.

 

Most nights, she used her gift, but she to do so, she also had to be asleep.

 

After a day at work, Sua was chilling on her couch with the tv on. Her eyes were more focused on the outside world. The night was settling. A deep shade of blue taking over. It was both eerie and beautiful. In those mesmerising moments, the calling was more intense than usual. A comforting warmth spreading over her body. Eyes closed, she visualised herself floating surrounded by a colourful aura. It was decided.

 

Grabbing her plate from the coffee table, she walked into her kitchen. She was living by herself, therefore there was not much to clean up after. Checking that her front door was locked, Sua entered her bedroom. The curtains were open, the moon lighting up the place. Such a good atmosphere.

 

Sua changed into comfy clothes; Shorts and a t-shirt. Nothing more. That was pointless. Leaning in to turn on her nightstand lamp, a rubber band caught her attention. She grabbed it to tie up her shoulder length, brown hair into a messy bun. A bottle of water was already set for when she would wake up.

 

Comfortably lying down on her bed, Sua happily hummed. Within good time, it was easy to let herself slip into this other world. After closing her eyes, she was welcomed into a vast space, full of huge drawers piling up against the walls. In her burgundy flowing dress, she walked to her assigned section. On her way, she crossed path with recognisable faces, to whom she acknowledged by nodding at them. This place was so fascinating. No amount of time could ever take that away.

 

Once in front of her personal drawers. She checked that it was hers, only by moving her hand in a swift movement, making a white shield appear. Taking a step through the shield, she was inside. Even after years of coming here, nothing was ever safe. Darkness. Real darkness was always lurking around.

 

For a minute she observed each written name. Sua didn’t know them all. Some were there for a long time. Others only once, before disappearing to be replaced. Flicking her right hand up, a flight of stairs appeared. Going up, she stopped midway. Her hair was waving in her face because of the slight breeze. The higher you climbed the stairs, the windier it got. Gazing at each name, she looked for a specific one. She moved the stairs to her left allowing her to reach the name. In beautiful handwriting was your name written. But moreso, it was glowing, meaning you were asleep. Softly, Sua’s hand grazed over it. Sighing, she wondered if she should open it.

 

Unable to resist, Sua opened your drawer. White smoke escaped, enveloping her in its embrace. It smelt like caramel. The sweetest aroma.

 

When the smoke was gone, Sua was surrounded by several scenes playing in front of her. They were all moving fast. It was always how it happened at first. Whose ever drawer she was into, the scenes would start by replaying their day. Only in this manner could she have an idea about what to make of their dreams. Slowly, the images faded away and started to merge themselves with a desirable, wistful wish. From this, Sua was able to create a dream. But tonight, she didn’t have to. She kept watching.

 

She was in your mind. She chose you, once again.

 

In the blink of an eye, the setting changed. Smiling from ear to ear, Sua was blissfully happy. In a quick pace she walked to up to your silhouette. Each step brought her closer and closer. From a faraway silhouette, you formed into a beautiful woman waiting for her. Sua felt it before you did. That familiar tugging feeling in your hearts. But when you felt it, your turned around, your hair floating down and your eyes twinkling.

 

“You’re here.” You whispered. It was always a shock for you to see Sua. “You’re here.” You said again, before chuckling and moving toward her.

 

You collided into a tight hug. Sua’s arms wrapped around your waist. You did the same, moving your hands up and down her back.

 

“Caramel.” You heard her mumble against your chest. Sua was slightly shorter than you, the perfect height.

 

“I wondered what you’d smell like to me.” You pondered, not moving away from her yet. “You just feel like fresh air.” Sua chuckled, looking up at you.

 

Arm in arm, you both walked around. The place surrounding you was a reflection of what you saw in your mind. A park. Something simple, where you used to go as a child. But not for long. As you chose a new path, you stayed silent. Sua wondered what was on your mind.

 

“Why did you come tonight?” You asked. Sua was close to you, but you looked at the scenery instead of her. “It’s been a while.”

 

“I know.”

 

Sua softly gripped your wrist, feeling what should be your beating heart in the real world. “You called for me.” She was right, well at least your unconscious did.

 

“Did I?” This time you glanced at Sua, she mesmerised you so much that you didn’t hear her answer. All you saw was her beauty. How her hair was more reddish than brown. You wondered if she has dyed her hair. But also, her huge smile reflected the joy in her brown eyes. If you didn’t know better, you would think she was an angel.

 

“I can’t stay long.”

This time you heard loud and clear. Gulping you nodded. “You’re my favourite dream.” Sua smiled, then tugged your hand.

 

The time to walk back was all that you had left together, and it was heart-breaking. The length of the dream depended on the amount of sleep you had every night. Why couldn’t you have eight hours straight with her? Defeated, you tried to impregnate your mind with the vision of her, photograph her forever. She felt your eyes on you. She smirked, but let you do it in peace. Every gesture was your own, but that didn’t stop her from feeling your heartbeat. The flush on your cheeks. The knots in your stomach. She told you once how she was connected to you, more than with anyone else. You were the only one calling for her, acknowledging her presence.

 

A blessing and a curse.

 

“I don’t want you to go.” You stopped her before the end of the path. “Tell me. Or let me tell you. Please.” You entwined both of your hands together, squeezing them lightly. “Please.”

 

“I’m breaking so many rules. I wish I could.” Sadly, Sua smiled. Standing up on her tiptoes she grazed your cheek with her lips. A simple kiss. “Keep dreaming of me, okay? If you never forget me, I’ll always be here.”

 

As sweet as her whispery voice, she evaporated. Your dream was over.

 

Sua blinked and there she was back on her stairs. Going down, the place was full of people. It was closing soon, and no one wanted to be trapped here. A gong resonated, startling her. Quickly, she flicked her hand down to close her shield behind her. Walking faster, she reached the huge doors that were slowly closing. The moment she went through, her eyes opened.

 

The sun was rising. Sua stayed still until she felt a tear rolling down her face, and with the back of her hand she wiped it. Turning around, she grabbed her bottle of water. Her body was empty, exhausted. Most of the time she woke up sweating. Especially after visiting your dreams. These ones took a lot of her, but that never stopped her. For a whole minute, she thought of you. Your voice. Your eyes. Everything. Until it was time to go on with her day. Gulping the last drop of water, she got up and threw it out in the bin.

 

Sua was a choreographer. Tiredness. Exhaustion. It wasn’t new to her. It required a lot of energy and time. Every once in a while, she didn’t sleep; too busy trying to come up with new dance moves. Just like tonight. Some trainees were staying behind too, glancing at her. She had checked the time and she knew it was already dark outside. But there was no way she was going home, regardless of sleep. Flashes from last night started to plague her mind a few hours ago. For as long as she could, she pushed them aside until it was all she could see. Her reflection in the mirror changed from her loose shirt with a sport bra and shorts, to a beautiful woman in a burgundy dress her hair down her shoulders.

 

“You okay?” Someone asked her. It took her by surprise. “You’ve been staring at yourself for a whole minute.”

 

Sua looked at who interrupted her and sat down on the floor. “Just tired.” She exhaled, leaning on her elbows. “You came to practice Jiu, uh?”

 

“Yep.”

 

Sua watched her stretch.

 

“How’s your class going?” Jiu questioned.

 

“Not in the mood for new beginners today.” She sighed under Jiu’s giggling. “What?”

 

“You always have one of those days. Tomorrow will be better, and you’ll be the first one to have fun with them.” She dared Sua to object, then smiled. “Whatever you are dealing with, you can forget about it for now. Come.” Jiu waved her hand. Sua obeyed and stood up.

 

Together, they practiced a dance routine they knew by heart. Everyone else in the room watched them, struck by their moves. Four minutes of letting their bodies take over. When the song ended, Sua jumped into Jiu’s arms, screaming.

 

“Better?” Minji giggled.

 

“Yeah. Yeah!”

 

Sua was feeling good for now. She practiced a few more dances with Jiu and other trainees, who joined in instead of watching, until she was really exhausted. By the time she arrived home, it was past midnight. She cooked herself some ramen and ate them whilst sitting on her couch, observing the city outside.

 

That night, Sua fell asleep quickly, no time to think about using her power. All she needed was sleep and to let her body rest. She still had a quick thought about going, but doing it two days in row was something she decided not to do. No matter how much she loved visiting dreams - with yours in particular - there was always a risk.

 

For the rest of her week, Sua was overwhelmed by work, and when she wasn’t occupied with work, she was either chilling on her couch ready to sleep, or hanging out with Jiu.

 

On Sunday, after walking into town and doing some shopping, Sua decided that it was time to go back into that state. Every inch of her,

Please log in to read the full chapter